Emre Can

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Btw - where does this "injury-prone" stuff come from ?

The guy on average played 29 League matches each season from 2012/13->18/19 - and if we assume he has missed a few matches through suspension and some where he was benched…..he might have missed what…5-6 games a season through injuries ?
I think some posters seriously confused him with Khedira. Would also explain everyone being shocked he‘s not 35.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
You think Emre Can or anyone else Liverpool will let go is going to turn into a new busby?
Liverpool didn't let him go. He rejected a contract with Liverpool which was worth 14m so he could win trophies. He isn't exactly a Juventus reject either. He was pretty much in Allegri's plan up until Sarriball came in. Don't take me wrong, he's not a WC player. Having said that he's quite a useful player to have around and he's better then most of our midfielders bar Pogba and maybe McT. My only concerns are his injury record

AmanNits04

I am baffled by the state our Midfield is in, how did this even happen. If we aspire to be winners again we should have quality backup for such instances
If Can is actually interested in coming to United and ready to put shift in, I am all for it.
As long as we don't see Lingard, Matic start.
We need players with some good control and quick incisive passing.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Seriously why are we constantly linked with this fellow? Were a team that needs technical class in midfield - close control, vision, excellent passing and ability to dictate. I thought Can was more about physicality and running power? He also didn't make it big at either Liverpool or Juventus.

I hope Ole doesn't stock pile work horses suited to his counter attacking fetish.
His biggest issues are being good at football. Which he isn’t.

Kag

Can hasn’t got the legs, and is slow, you’re really overrating him.
I’m not. I’m just aware that our current options are atrocious when they aren’t given the task of ceding possession and ‘getting stuck in’.

fps

I’m not. I’m just aware that our current options are atrocious when they aren’t given the task of ceding possession and ‘getting stuck in’.
I agree the current options are light and of them only one of Fred and McTominay would be acceptable as a regular starting 11 player in a top 4 team. But Can seriously lacks dynamism and lungs from what I have seen of him, I don’t see him fitting in as someone who would ultimately get the club where they need to be. I would take him now on loan for the injury crisis but no more than that. I don’t see anything he does really really well.

C'est Moi Cantona

If this as good as we can get then so be it, I will just assume our newfangled computer system has identified loads of other players, but after the rest have turned us down, we are now been forced to scroll down the page to players like this.

We currently have Fred, and want-away Matic as our only true midfield choices, so to just see how the month goes isn't an option, good or bad someone needs to be here next week.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
To be fair we are not going to get any better in winter transfer window.

Borussin

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
For what its worth, he was the one leaving us. He turned down our contract offer to join Juventus. Was a step up at the time.

In Fabinho we've signed a significant upgrade, but I'd still say that Can is good enough that he would have been part of the midfield rotation here on fairly equal footing with the others if he had stayed.
What a strange comment from an actual Liverpool fan. As someone who's seen him play plenty for Germany, as well as prior to LFC and then when he was at LFC, he is nowhere near the level of Wijnaldum and Henderson either or a fit Keita. I'd take Milner ahead of him too as his fitness levels and stamina are so much better. He would be a 5th/6th choice central midfielder at Liverpool if he was there now.

Can is a hugely inconsistant player, he always has been, he goes from having games where he looks like a world beater, to games when he lumbers around the pitch failing to make an impact in any positive way.

His problem has always been that he's a jack of all trades and master of none of them. So he is a ideal squad player in that sense, but not a reliable starter.

Artorias

What a strange comment from an actual Liverpool fan. As someone who's seen him play plenty for Germany, as well as prior to LFC and then when he was at LFC, he is nowhere near the level of Wijnaldum and Henderson either or a fit Keita. I'd take Milner ahead of him too as his fitness levels and stamina are so much better. He would be a 5th/6th choice central midfielder at Liverpool if he was there now.

Can is a hugely inconsistant player, he always has been, he goes from having games where he looks like a world beater, to games when he lumbers around the pitch failing to make an impact in any positive way.

His problem has always been that he's a jack of all trades and master of none of them. So he is a ideal squad player in that sense, but not a reliable starter.
So like a midfielder O'Shea? Not a bad squad player if you asked me.

BusterGonads

Supports
Liverpool

You're right, he isn't as good as those other Pool MF's you mentioned but Klopp always had a soft spot for him so as the original poster said, he would play equally and probably most of the important games too. He always did. Thing is, now he's left, Hendo gets more game time and has flourished. Agree with your point about being a jack of all trades, he's always flattered to deceive for me

arthurka

Matic was good against Burnley, but showed exactly why he's not playing much against Arsenal.
No... He wasn't. He slows everything down and never looks for the guests pass. He is a terrible player.

DamoK

I am baffled by the state our Midfield is in, how did this even happen. If we aspire to be winners again we should have quality backup for such instances
If Can is actually interested in coming to United and ready to put shift in, I am all for it.
As long as we don't see Lingard, Matic start.
We need players with some good control and quick incisive passing.
Ed Woodward and the Glazers that's how it happened

friedeggden

Supports
Liverpool
I wouldn't go near him honestly. He was so inconsistent at Liverpool although I can't say I've watched anything of him at Juve.

He always slowed our attacks down, didn't release the ball quick enough. Average passer, even less average defender and didn't score enough.

A solid 6.5/10 most games, bar the overhead kick against Watford.

Reactions: Grinner

BillyJoel

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool, Hansa Rostock
I'd have him back at Liverpool tbh. He's very versatile, able to play CB, DM or box to box aptly. Klopp played him a lot, and i'm sure he would've fulfilled a Lallana role better than Lallana, if he was still around. He was never "amazing", but he had very good matches, and the versatility is something that I think is more and more appreciated in modern football. Also a good professional, never badmouthed anyone and never had any problem.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool

Hendo and Gini are both a fair bit better now than he was when he left, but they are also better now than they were then. I reckon he'd be ahead of Milner in the rotation.

But my main point is that he was a regular in a top four & cl finalist team on the cusp of becoming much better, was talented enough to have continued in that team's progression, had the opportunity to join a perceived better side at the time and took it.

That's not the whole story of course. Where Hendo and Gini developed in tandem with this side, Can's career has stalled at juve.

But his baseline is that he's good enough for a top four midfield and his ceiling that he could be among the top ranked midfielders in the league, if he gets it together and realises his potential.

That to me looks like a good signing for where United are right now.

jackal&hyde

We only have Fred and Matic fit.

I’d be all for it assuming we don’t get ripped off.
Agree. At this point it's not about finding our next great mid, we can do that in the summer, it's about having actual midfielders to put on the pitch.

Also, at just 25, there is still a chance that he might make the best of his obvious potential, though probably not.

SambaBoy

I'd take him on loan. Long-term we needed to be doing better than players like Can but I doubt we can strengthen in CM this window due to the lack of availability of top player and the notorious difficulty of getting top players in January. We are seriously weak in CM, both in terms of quality and depth. Can would improve our midfield in both areas as he's on the same level as McTominay and Fred, if not better IMO.

A loan till the end of the season would work for all parties. He's not getting a game at Juventus and wants to get in the WC squad. United badly need a CM and are unlikely to find a top one in January, and Juventus free up a place in their squad and put him in the shop window for next season.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
We only have Matic and Fred fit in midfield, do people seriously think we don’t need any reinforcement in this winter, or do people think we can easily get someone better than Can in winter?

Ranchero

There is a serious level of delusion with regards to McTominay and Fred. Emre Can not our best midfielder? He walks in ahead of everybody apart from Pogba. As did/would Herrera, who has recently been a victim of the Caf’s rush to get excited over one or two half decent games.

It can’t be underestimated just how terrible our midfield options are at present. We’re in no position to snob away at players who have been playing regular football for Liverpool and Juventus for the best part of five seasons.
Seen loads of Can..and not a fan. Isn't the answer to our shortcomings. Appears to already be a journeyman in his mid-20s because he can't nail a first team place anywhere.

kafkawithaspirin

Supports
Liverpool
His best performances for us came in high intensity, chaotic games where there was little focus on the more sophisticated roles of a midfilder. He was most comfortable when he could act as a b2b tank, running up and down, breaking up attacks and chasing down opponents, then carrying up the ball. Weirdly enough, he was also great as an RCB when Rodgers was experimenting with a back 3. He was extremely calm and collected under pressure. That was (is) his main problem as a player I think, he evidently has a lot of talent, but the things he is very good at doesn't really fit with any particular role in today's football. Or rather, there are a couple of obvious flaws in his game (slow on the turn and with decisions, not very good vision, average passer) that prevent him form really excelling in any position. I think he suffered a bit from being able to play in many positions, as none of his coaches bothered to elevate him from a useful fill-in squad player and hone his skills to a more defined role. Might have turned out different had he stayed under Klopp, but we will never know.

Nonetheless, he is a good squad player, and still very young with bags of experience. I also don't think he would have a problem with joining United because of his past.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Emre Can will be staying at Juventus this January according to club director Fabio Paratici.

Can was left out of Juve's Champions League squad by Maurizio Sarri earlier in the season, and intimated he would have left the club in the summer had he known in advance.

But Paratici said: "I can exclude Emre Can leaving, as he will certainly remain with us.
"On an international level, he is one of the most wanted players, but I think he can be important for our project."

top1whoisman

Scout
]

Seen rumours Juve would use him as part exchange plus cash for Pogba, not really the best sources though so dunno how much truth is in it.

"Yes, I will stay with Juventus for sure. There is no problem," Rabiot told reporters after the game against Cagliari.

"I feel the confidence of the club and of coach Sarri. 2019 was not easy for me, I came to Juve after a long time without playing.”

"I'm looking to adapt to a new league, a new environment and a new coach. I hope 2020 will be better for me and be able to help Juventus by exploiting my full potential."

Teja

"Yes, I will stay with Juventus for sure. There is no problem," Rabiot told reporters after the game against Cagliari.

"I feel the confidence of the club and of coach Sarri. 2019 was not easy for me, I came to Juve after a long time without playing.”

"I'm looking to adapt to a new league, a new environment and a new coach. I hope 2020 will be better for me and be able to help Juventus by exploiting my full potential."
Didn't he just move there? Why would he leave after half a season?

top1whoisman

Scout
Didn't he just move there? Why would he leave after half a season?
Yeap. He’s started only 6 Serie A and 2 CL matches so I guess some reporters thought that he’d be a good name to throw in the transfer rumours. Played full 90 in the last three league games so it looks like his Juve career is now properly starting.

USREDEVIL

Seen loads of Can..and not a fan. Isn't the answer to our shortcomings. Appears to already be a journeyman in his mid-20s because he can't nail a first team place anywhere.
He’s one of those players. Not shite but not good enough to have any team make sure to keep him. Another Lingard.

L1nk

Biggest mistake of our club’s history was appointing Busby.
Biggest mistake in this clubs history is the fans, and the clubs, desire to cling onto nostalgia, Busby and Ferguson were great, we just can't or won't move on for some reason, every manager has to be given time in the hopes they miraculously turn into a Fergie, we have to keep playing god awful academy players like Lingard only because they came from the academy, we're not allowed to sack wildly under-performing managers because its "beneath us" I could go on

passing-wind

Biggest mistake in this clubs history is the fans, and the clubs, desire to cling onto nostalgia, Busby and Ferguson were great, we just can't or won't move on for some reason, every manager has to be given time in the hopes they miraculously turn into a Fergie, we have to keep playing god awful academy players like Lingard only because they came from the academy, we're not allowed to sack wildly under-performing managers because its "beneath us" I could go on
The fans are emitting the frailties of the club's present circumstance with their mentality. The whole idea of the Glazers not spending money has never been a problem, it's that they've given funds to managers who have wasted the resources with no DOF to filter the signings.

Now we have a completely opposite dynamic, we have Solskjaer who can identify the right candidate but doesn't have the managerial pedigree to take us / them forward. Whole thing is comical.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
No... He wasn't. He slows everything down and never looks for the guests pass. He is a terrible player.
I realise we're all a bit depressed at the moment but you're wrong here. The poster you quoted accepted that Matic was poor against Arsenal but you have to accept that he was good against Burnley. In the barren wasteland that is our midfield at the moment, Matic is still a good option. He may not be quick but he knows his job, doesn't panic, can look after possession and can find an occasional forward pass. We have nobody else at the moment that will give Fred and whoever else we stick in there as solid a base. He'll still look ponderous at times but he was excellent at Burnley and had an immediate impact last night. He's not the future but we're in no position to bin him just yet.

arthurka

I realise we're all a bit depressed at the moment but you're wrong here. The poster you quoted accepted that Matic was poor against Arsenal but you have to accept that he was good against Burnley. In the barren wasteland that is our midfield at the moment, Matic is still a good option. He may not be quick but he knows his job, doesn't panic, can look after possession and can find an occasional forward pass. We have nobody else at the moment that will give Fred and whoever else we stick in there as solid a base. He'll still look ponderous at times but he was excellent at Burnley and had an immediate impact last night. He's not the future but we're in no position to bin him just yet.
No can't agree, he just slows everything down and never ever passes the ball into the path of the runners.