Cheltenham Town
This better not get too exciting I’m listening to TMS to try and sleep

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
What a fecking delivery!!

Huge wicket of Williamson too

ha_rooney

Dreadful shot. Really poor batting that.

England should go on to win this.

paulscholes18

Taylor gone, Leach has his 1st wicket and it’s Ross Taylor, Taylor also dropped from the bowling off Broad

Last edited:

NinjaFletch

NZ is playing England on ESPN right now. Can anyone explain to me what is going on?
Also.. is someone playing a trumpet in the middle of this thing?
Probably not the best game scenario to drop into if you've never watched cricket before.

It is the last day of the match and NZ are chasing a score they're almost certainly going to get nowhere near and England need to get 7 wickets (outs, effectively) to win. There's not a huge amount of incentive for NZ to try and score runs (points) and they'll mostly just try and survive to the end of the day instead. Despite people carrying on about it cricket's quite a simple game at the heart of it, and if you have any background with baseball you'll pick it up quite quickly. Some of the ways you can get out are a bit confusing for a newcomer (LBW the most common one you'll run in to thats not self explanatory).

And yes, one of the travelling England fans is a trumpeter: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Cooper_(trumpeter)

Carolina Red

Staff
@NinjaFletch - I played baseball for 15 years, so if you can translate it into baseball terms I can probably pick it up.

I tried reading the rule book for cricket once. I felt that I needed one of those famed Eton educations to “get it”.

NinjaFletch

@NinjaFletch - I played baseball for 15 years, so if you can translate it into baseball terms I can probably pick it up.

I tried reading the rule book for cricket once. I felt that I needed one of those famed Eton educations to “get it”.
There's quite a few articles explain cricket in baseball terms out there. This one seems reasonable: https://www.cheryl-morgan.com/?page_id=23

The terminology is very different (and reflects the fact cricket has been played in various forms for about 500 years) but at its heart they're two fairly similar games with quite a lot of similarities.

Oscar.Z.Acosta

It’s not that difficult but is slightly more nuanced than baseball. England will probably win this game now but had we not had the farce over dew on the ground yesterday (how’s that for nuance?!), and New Zealand got another 60/70 runs without losing a wicket it may have been a much closer game.

It’s one of the greatest sports invented by humans, and also Australians (apologies to any Aussie comrades - I couldn’t resist!).

paulscholes18

Test matches last 5 days, 90 overs (6 pitches in a over) a day
Team with the most runs scored wins, if it ends on day 5 with no winner then it is a draw.
Each team has 2 innings, bowling team needs 10 outs before it’s their turn to bat
If the ball goes over the rope after bouncing its 4 runs, if it goes over without bouncing it is 6 runs.
4 most common outs are caught, bowled, LBW (if it hits the batsman on the legs and would have gone on and hit the stumps) and run out

Carolina Red

Staff
There's quite a few articles explain cricket in baseball terms out there. This one seems reasonable: https://www.cheryl-morgan.com/?page_id=23

The terminology is very different (and reflects the fact cricket has been played in various forms for about 500 years) but at its heart they're two fairly similar games with quite a lot of similarities.
Thanks! I think I get it now :)

NinjaFletch

I take it this is an either/or situation?

You can end the innings by reaching the pitch limit or the 10 outs?
Nah, its just thats how much play is in the day. If the team isn't bowled out then they carry on the next day.

There are two other versions where there are 'pitch limits' referred to collectively as 'limited over' matches where teams bat either 50 or 20 overs each (and only one innings). As you can imagine it changes the game a lot and both forms see more aggressive batting.

Carolina Red

Staff
Nah, its just thats how much play is in the day. If the team isn't bowled out then they carry on the next day.

There are two other versions where there are 'pitch limits' referred to collectively as 'limited over' matches where teams bat either 50 or 20 overs each (and only one innings). As you can imagine it changes the game a lot and both forms see more aggressive batting.
Ahhh... gotcha. I understand now.

Yeah the article you liked me to spoke about 20Twenty Cricket at the end, which actually seems rather exciting.

I’d imagine it does what the shot clock does to basketball. Gotta make the pitches count.

NinjaFletch

Yeah the article you liked me to spoke about 20Twenty Cricket at the end, which actually seems rather exciting.

I’d imagine it does what the shot clock does to basketball. Gotta make the pitches count.
Yeah, it's becoming the most popular form of the game. It strips out quite a lot of the tactical elements of the game, but is good entertainment. There's a big tournament coming up soon called the Indian Premier League which will have a lot of the best players playing in it. Not sure what the deal is with it being televised in the States, but there will be at least a game every day for about a month.

paulscholes18

Wood has been too short and wide so far, needs to be fuller and straighter, get the batsman playing shots, runs are not a problem

zing

Zingle balls
Probably not the best game scenario to drop into if you've never watched cricket before.

It is the last day of the match and NZ are chasing a score they're almost certainly going to get nowhere near and England need to get 7 wickets (outs, effectively) to win. There's not a huge amount of incentive for NZ to try and score runs (points) and they'll mostly just try and survive to the end of the day instead. Despite people carrying on about it cricket's quite a simple game at the heart of it, and if you have any background with baseball you'll pick it up quite quickly. Some of the ways you can get out are a bit confusing for a newcomer (LBW the most common one you'll run in to thats not self explanatory).

And yes, one of the travelling England fans is a trumpeter: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Cooper_(trumpeter)
:lol: Love the nonchalant introduction to Billy the Trumpet.

slyadams

It does, but to many, myself included, it misses the spirit and heart of the game. One of the reasons test match cricket is so important is that due to the length of a match and the almost complete disregard for the pace of the modern world, winning one is a big deal as a country typically plays less than 15 test matches a year. So with T20 you get into a case of "well, lost today, never mind, there's another one tomorrow" which devalues the single result. To be honest, this is why I've always struggled with NBA, NHL and MLB, each game seems of such little value in relative terms.

ha_rooney

What an effort by NZ! Thought they'd lose after the early wickets. Good character from them.

Terrible winter for England. They need to solve the balance in their side & whether certain players are good enough for Test cricket.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Thank goodness that's all over. Very long winter and definitely some players who need some time off to regroup. Definite discussion to be had on whether Root as captain is a good idea but considering how few players are nailed on to be selected and with Stokes doing what he did and Anderson being as old as he is, I don't think there are any other options.

NinjaFletch

Disappointing that England couldn't get those last two wickets, but I think they'd have just papered over the cracks.

I think the team played this test has probably done enough to justify an unchanged 11 (with Wood back out for Woakes again at home) for the first test vs Pakistan. I'm not sure they should do that, and I'm still unsure about Vince at 3, but I'm pretty sure the continuity of selection bollocks will mean that they will.

zing

Zingle balls
This is the most mediocre England team I have seen in a long while.

If they don't find some bowlers, it won't be long before they start losing at home.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
This is the most mediocre England team I have seen in a long while.

If they don't find some bowlers, it won't be long before they start losing at home.
Still with Root, Bairstow, Stokes, Anderson & Broad the spine of the team is mostly pretty good, the worrying aspect is there are no standout players in the County Championship. Cook's regression has come at the worst time really and England having being unable to replace Strauss, Pietersen, Swann, Trott and Bell are now also having to contemplate replacing their all-time leading run scorer.