England Discussion | Finish 4th

R'hllor

England so good, teams will need so much luck to stop them on WC.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
I've just come in to this.

I don't understand, the 2 games before the WC, changing the entire team. Does he not know yet what his best team is?

And, if this is the 2nd team, notwithstanding that they are never going to play together, because the first team can't possibly be injured all at the same time. What happens if they perform better than the 1st team, do we bin Kane, Ali, Sterling etc?

Southgate is an idiot.

el magico

Supports
Manchester City

I don't understand, the 2 games before the WC, changing the entire team. Does he not know yet what his best team is?

And, if this is the 2nd team, notwithstanding that they are never going to play together, because the first team can't possibly be injured all at the same time. What happens if they perform better than the 1st team, do we bin Kane, Ali, Sterling etc?

Southgate is an idiot.
You're contradicting yourself. If this is his second team then clearly he knows what his first team is and a friendly against Costa Rica will make little difference to his team selection.

devil in me

Southgate is an idiot.
I think its more about everyone in the squad getting some match time prior to the world cup. I'm no Southgate fan, but can't argue against it really. If half the squad hadn't played for a month before our first game, it would hardly be ideal.

devil in me

Both Rashford and Sterling make great runs and are both great as impact players late on I recon.
If we had a squad as talented as Germany/Spain then Sterling would be great off the bench. As it is, he is probably our best player so has to start.

Kag

In which case, he has no idea who to play, if he completely changes the team for the 2nd game.
He's clearly giving all the players minutes. You can't fault what he's trying to do. From bedding in Stones through two starts (who's lacking games yet important to Southgate) to giving the likes of Rashford, Dier and Rose a game (the three players most likely to contest for a starting berth against Tunisia).

Kag

I wouldn't have picked Delph but you can see why he was selected in the squad. You're not getting that sort of pressing and energy from Wilshere.

Clear that Southgate is going down the energy/movement route. Any sitting midfielder(s), be it Dier, Henderson or both, are there to plug holes. The form and movement of Lingard, Sterling and Alli is going to be crucial.

Toad

If we had a squad as talented as Germany/Spain then Sterling would be great off the bench. As it is, he is probably our best player so has to start.
He is the only good player we can play off the right if we opted to go that way.
Edit: Forgot Lingard :lol:

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I wouldn't have picked Delph but you can see why he was selected in the squad. You're not getting that sort of pressing and energy from Wilshere.

Clear that Southgate is going down the energy/movement route. Any sitting midfielder(s), be it Dier, Henderson or both, are there to plug holes. The form and movement of Lingard, Sterling and Alli is going to be crucial.
Yeah, Delph has looked decent so far

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Rash playing well. Great goal.

Just makes me wonder what the hell happens at United. We seem to sap people's confidence or something.

Kag

Walker is crucial in that right central defensive role, for me. Look how often Jones has picked up the ball in the final third. Walker makes so much more of a difference.