England - Euro 2021 Discussion | FA chairman: Southgate to be offered new contract until Euro 2024

Jack-C20

No worries any fellow England fans. The Qatar World Cup starts late November and ends late December. Can’t wait for ‘It’s coming home’ to be temporarily transformed into ‘It’s driving home for Christmas’.

In all seriousness, I’ve started to see the positives to Southgate. Unfortunately he shit the bed tonight though and that doesn’t really change in a manager. If we find ourselves a goal up in another semi or final I doubt he’ll do anything different to what he did tonight.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Just never have hope, like I do. It's hope that kills...
yep. it’s the how that kills you, but it was all so obvious. it might be that i’m the best undiscovered football manager in history, but nothing that happened tonight was surprising to me. maybe i have a time machine, maybe this has already happened in my timeline but from about the 30th minute onwards, that game played out exactly how i imagined it.

“play for half time”

“make a proactive change”

“stick someone fast on and leave them on the half way line for italy to worry about”

“why are we playing for penalties? we will lose.”

“ too late to bring saka on henderson on. that’s to protect a 1-0, not change a 1-1”

“saka, sancho and rashford will moss. don’t bring them on and let their first touch be a penalty.”

it was all so obvious. why can’t i get £3m a year for this shit?

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Norn Iron, which is more English than Sweden or Italy.
Not a bad shout then but I think the FA are too proud to go down that route. And Rodgers himself is probably more interested in a top PL job than a ‘foreign’ NT job. Just look at the managers at this tournament and it’s fairly obvious that most managers with ambitions prefer club football.

Judas

Open to offers
From the start of the 2nd half till Italy's equalizer England did nothing. If you're gonna play on the counter then every once in a while you have to actually, you know, try a counter attack.
Pretty much this. We didn't deserve to win that game from the second half onwards. I don't really remember us having a single proper shot?

It was a bottle job, lets be honest, call a spade a spade.

It's nothing we haven't seen before, and we'll no doubt see it again!

Judas

Open to offers
Not a bad shout then but I think the FA are too proud to go down that route. And Rodgers himself is probably more interested in a top PL job than a ‘foreign’ NT job. Just look at the managers at this tournament and it’s fairly obvious that most managers with ambitions prefer club football.
With his ego, I think he'd love the idea of winning the world cup with England.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
The frustrating thing is this time I feel like we have the tools to go toe to toe with the top sides but not with him in charge.
Or at least to play in a smart, cohesive way. Which you should be able to do if you go in at halftime leading 1-0 in a World Cup semi and Euros final.

What did he say to them at halftime? And when it was clear Italy's tactical switch of Insigne was changing the game what did he do to change it?

He could have gone more defensive earlier if he wanted to. Remove Mount bring on Henderson and Mourinho the 1-0 with 11 men behind the ball.

The scary thing was he did nothing

Despite our midfield 2 being outnumbered by Italy's 3 he retained a two man midfield etc. Despite very little pace in behind to counter off, he did nothing.

It was a whole bunch of nothing. And that's what we should expect under Southgate: nothing.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
I don't follow media so has anyone called for a root and branch review yet? How about a chris waddle rant? Have we had that, yet?

The Purley King

I said prior to the tournament that our biggest problem is Southgate due to his extreme caution, almost cowardice.
In the first game he cleverly put a right back at left back and in this one he starts with 2 dms and despite a laboured, leggy performance he makes 2 subs out of 5 allowed and doesn’t try to change the formation.
He’s a dead weight dragging us down, if we do well it’ll be despite him not because of him.

If I see sterling, Kane and 2dms start the next game I’m going to have a conniption fit.
Southgate fecked it up so badly last night . I am still furious.
He is gutless. Biggest game since 1966 and his craven selection and gutless subs costs is the game.
feck off southgate you won’t be missed (by me anyway)

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
People are harsh on Southgate especially for an international manager, but you could see him bumping up against his limitations last night. Once Mancini adjusted tactically, he really had no answer. How someone who attracts as many fouls as Grealish didn't come on earlier to buy frees and cards from the Italian defence I don't know.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Might be worth looking beyond the disappointment and realising England had a very good tournament. Best I can remember. Might also be worth remembering that in the first half we were playing amazingly well. May also be worth giving some credit to Italy, who came out in the second half a different team and showed their quality.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
This game was basically the Denmark game but in reverse. Once the momentum had completely swung Italy's way, we were unable to reassert ourselves.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Did brilliantly this tournament really. Painful last night, but not undeserved. Got further than I thought they would and have a really talented squad right now.

Things you never thought you'd write about England at a tournament...

Got to the final
Only conceded 2 goals all tournament
Didn't concede a single goal in the group stage
Beat Germany
Didn't lose a single game in 120 minutes of football

In fact, England are the first team in Euro history (since the expansion of the tournament) to go undefeated in 120 minutes and not win it. The last time that happened in either the Euro or WC was France in '06.

It hurts that they lost, but this group has established themselves amongst the best in the world right now.

Lee565

Pickford did really well during the tournament, considering all the dodgy keeping we have seen in the past from English goalkeepers, pickford has not let us down over two tournaments now.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Pickford did really well during the tournament, considering all the dodgy keeping we have seen in the past from English goalkeepers, pickford has not let us down over two tournaments now.
He saves up all his shockers for Everton.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
This is spot on. What a frustrating performance. I was cringing watching it. Southgate is clueless at the elite level.

El Zoido

This is spot on. What a frustrating performance. I was cringing watching it. Southgate is clueless at the elite level.
There’s no excuse for these tactics, with the players England have. But none of us should have been surprised because he approached every game in the same way.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
So frustrating. It seems symptomatic of a lot of World Cup/Euro winning managers — these international coaches tend to succeed in spite of, not because of their involvement.

It’s shocking, man. We had Harry Kane playing as a false 9 against two veteran geezers at the back. Add Mount who was pretty much just at the semi/final for shuttle runs and we were near enough a man down between the two.

Remember all the talk about which no.9 to take — Ings, DCL, Bamford etc.— the one we took didn’t get a fecking sniff!

croadyman

We did really well to make the final, however the FA and the usual tournament fans shouldn't get misty eyed with Gareth because he still hasn't proved his bravery with substitutions yet. I feel there is a decision to be made if he makes the same mistake again in Qatar when we come up against the better teams

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
The more I think about the final the more it reminded me of Euro 2012 against Italy. They were miles better in both games. We couldn't keep the ball in either game and I'm left wondering how much progress has truly been made since then.

Yagami

Good post resistant
The more I think about the final the more it reminded me of Euro 2012 against Italy. They were miles better in both games. We couldn't keep the ball in either game and I'm left wondering how much progress has truly been made since then.
The difference is we chose not to even try keeping possession here. We have the players to keep the ball against anyone but, when you have a coward in charge, it means nothing.

I'm kinda numb to England now. Until this loser is gone there's no point in investing. All we're going to see is another golden generation wasted by incompetence.

edcunited1878

It's Mark Jackson GSW and Steve Kerr GSW.

Same nucleus of a team that was improving, made the playoffs, even made the semi-finals. But then they didn't improve upon the semi-finals the next year and was fired. In comes Steve Kerr and the rest is history.

Kerr came in with his philosophy and transformed a very good team into a dominant title winning team. Does the FA have the foresight or will they stick/twist with Southgate through next year's WC?

We have seen Southgate's limitations and when he needed to come up for his team, he didn't put them in a position to succeed in the final. Southgate's future will be determined by England's WC fortunes. It's reach the semi-finals or bust for him.

croadyman

The difference is we chose not to even try keeping possession here. We have the players to keep the ball against anyone but, when you have a coward in charge, it means nothing.

I'm kinda numb to England now. Until this loser is gone there's no point in investing. All we're going to see is another golden generation wasted by incompetence.
Yeah this has happened far too many times in the last 25 years for my liking under three different managers as well

djembatheking

Wow, I think there is some over rating of players here. World cup semi-final followed by Euro final not good enough.Who would you replace him with?

croadyman

Wow, I think there is some over rating of players here. World cup semi-final followed by Euro final not good enough.Who would you replace him with?
Feel like Potter plays a better brand of football than him but don't worry Gareth will be in charge for ages yet

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Gareth will stay in the job with a tsunami of good will for at least the next two tournaments… any noise about England fans hating on him is just that. A section of United fans wanted Fergie out in the early 00s, and even had a Times journalist supporting the concept… this shit just happens. Hell, even Hodgson stayed on with largely good will for 3 tournaments, and he was fecking terrible…

Even those of us who have doubts about his tactical outlook don’t begrudge him his meritocratic deserts… The hope is more that raising these concerns loudly will potentially influence him to try a more adventurous approach… he himself said after the Germany game that if he’d picked that (defensive) line up and lost, he’d be dead… well, now he has done. The more prominent the clamour that our biggest failing on Sunday was over-caution, the better the likelihood that he can correct it in future tourneys…

Id even go as far as to say that an adventurous failure in Qatar would most likely be written off… but a similarly defensive one that fails to reach the semis would probably bring a lot of pressure for 2024.

All of this is pretty untaxing stuff tbf