England - Euro 2021 Discussion | FA chairman: Southgate to be offered new contract until Euro 2024

acnumber9

Their midfield options are woeful. They’re stacked in some positions and bare in some. Hard to see them get past the first top nation they face.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
No Danny Ings is scandalous to be honest. England's midfield looks dreadful also.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Midfield looks a bit grim, especially as Grealish and Foden are more forwards than midfielders.
The scenes here if Lingard is included in the final squad ahead of Greenwood (could happen actually).

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I doubt people can have a lot of complains with the 33 man squad. Maybe Bamford and Ings missing out is harsh, and I might have considered AWB in the side as well (but him missing out isnt a surprise).

I think, it'd be interesting to see who he drops in his 26 man side. I'm expecting Ramsdale, TAA, Godfrey, maybe White, Lingard, JWP and Watkins to drop out provided provided Philips, Henderson and Maguire can prove their fitness.

I really hope Greenwood is in the final side, as I genuinely believe he's the 2nd best finisher in the side after Kane

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Yeah the 33 is very sensible IMO.

I prefer Watkins to Bamford for sure. Tomori is unlucky I think. Aside from that wouldn't disagree with any of it. Shame Pope is injured, not sure about any of our keepers.

diarm

It's a bit concerning that we spent £50m on a guy who isn't in the first 4 options for England at right back.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Their midfield options are woeful. They’re stacked in some positions and bare in some. Hard to see them get past the first top nation they face.
Can at least put out Henderson and Rice as a good double pivot behind the front 4.

Honestly I think if everyone is fit for the tournament, England have quite a good shot. The key is for Henderson and Maguire and Kane to stay fit, as there isn't really any depth past those players in those positions. Sweating over the fitness of 2 of them isn't a great start...

Nothing wrong with these picks, good to see no sign of Eric Dier. Maybe some would argue for Bamford but Kane will play every game for us regardless.
good that Dier is finally out.

We have DCL, Keane and Watkins in there. I like Bamford, but think DCL and Watkins are ahead of him (obviously Kane is).

NYAS

I always find it funny how people make comments like “midfield looks dreadful” after seeing the squad. These are the best midfielders England have, and this was known long before the squad announcement. They weren’t going to provide citizenship to Kroos and Casemiro over the last week, were they? Those are hardly controversial picks.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
It's a bit concerning that we spent £50m on a guy who isn't in the first 4 options for England at right back.
Stylistic preferences. We'll likely sign Trippier for 15m and he'd be backup for Wan Bissaka. Grealish was arguably the best player in the premier league until his injury this season yet it'd be a surprise if he was a starter. TAA might get cut from the squad and yet he was a key player for Liverpool in winning the league and CL over the past few seasons. Southgate is just a mediocre manager, wouldn't take his selections as gospel for who is better...

acnumber9

One of them is Kieran Tripper though. Just because Southgate doesn’t fancy him, doesn’t mean he’s not a good player. Our current first choice keeper is England’s third choice behind two average as feck keepers.

phonics_tid

Your Mother Was a Hamster and Your Father Smelt of
You say concerning, I say dense.

One of the best, if not the best tackler in the Premier League. A cup competition like this you need to have options, Walker and TAA are both vastly inferior to AWB when it comes to defending. If England come up against a France or Germany AWB would’ve been perfect against their attacking threat.

Mind numbingly stupid from Gareth in my opinion.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
At this rate he'll introduce a national poll on who should go.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I’d drop Saka, Lingard, JWP, Ramsdale, White, Watkins, Coady or Mings.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
My guess:

Goalkeepers:

• Dean Henderson (Manchester United)
  • Sam Johnstone (West Brom)
  • Jordan Pickford (Everton)
  • Aaron Ramsdale (Sheffield United)
Defenders:

• Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool)
  • Ben Chilwell (Chelsea)
  • Conor Coady (Wolves)
  • Ben Godfrey (Everton)
  • Reece James (Chelsea)
  • Harry Maguire (Manchester United)
  • Tyrone Mings (Aston Villa)
  • Luke Shaw (Manchester United)
  • John Stones (Manchester City)
  • Kieran Trippier (Atletico Madrid)
  • Kyle Walker (Manchester City)
  • Ben White (Brighton)
Midfielders:

• Jude Bellingham (Borussia Dortmund)
  • Jordan Henderson (Liverpool)
  • Jesse Lingard (West Ham)
  • Mason Mount (Chelsea)
  • Kalvin Phillips (Leeds)
  • Declan Rice (West Ham)
  • James Ward-Prowse (Southampton)
Forwards:

• Dominic Calvert-Lewin (Everton)
  • Phil Foden (Man City)
  • Jack Grealish (Aston Villa)
  • Mason Greenwood (Manchester United)
  • Harry Kane (Tottenham)
  • Marcus Rashford (Manchester United)
  • Bukayo Saka (Arsenal)
  • Jadon Sancho (Borussia Dortmund)
  • Raheem Sterling (Man City)
  • Ollie Watkins (Aston Villa)

vodrake

City spent £60m on Laporte who has just received his first call up aged 26 for a completely different country than the one he played for in the youth, because the French manager decided he didn't fancy him. Sometimes it has more to do with the manager and his preferences than the player himself

diarm

Stylistic preferences. We'll likely sign Trippier for 15m and he'd be backup for Wan Bissaka. Grealish was arguably the best player in the premier league until his injury this season yet it'd be a surprise if he was a starter. TAA might get cut from the squad and yet he was a key player for Liverpool in winning the league and CL over the past few seasons. Southgate is just a mediocre manager, wouldn't take his selections as gospel for who is better...
One of them is Kieran Tripper though. Just because Southgate doesn’t fancy him, doesn’t mean he’s not a good player. Our current first choice keeper is England’s third choice behind two average as feck keepers.
You say concerning, I say dense.

One of the best, if not the best tackler in the Premier League. A cup competition like this you need to have options, Walker and TAA are both vastly inferior to AWB when it comes to defending. If England come up against a France or Germany AWB would’ve been perfect against their attacking threat.

Mind numbingly stupid from Gareth in my opinion.
Only if you put any weight in the opinions of Gareth Southgate, a guy who has picked Conor Coady and Tyrone Mings.
That's how we feel.

Reading around the internet and speaking to my non-United supporting mates and the majority seem to share Southgates opinion of him.

Judas

Open to offers
we all want our players to do well. But you would have to have some serious red tinted glasses to play Henderson ahead of Pickford. Pickford has always done well for England.
I'm not sure I'd start Henderson over him, but Pickford has only ever made me nervous as an England support. He will cost us in a massive moment eventually.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
My guess:

Goalkeepers:

Defenders:

• Ben Chilwell (Chelsea)
  • Conor Coady (Wolves)
  • Ben Godfrey (Everton)
  • Reece James (Chelsea)
  • Ben White (Brighton)
Midfielders:

• Mason Mount (Chelsea)
  • Declan Rice (West Ham)
Forwards:

• Phil Foden (Man City)
  • Harry Kane (Tottenham)
  • Bukayo Saka (Arsenal)
Not a fan of people that can cross the ball are you? Ward-Prowse, Alexander-Arnold and Saka all out. Set pieces are one of England's biggest strengths, Maguire even mentioned they spend an enormous amount of time in training on it.

diarm

we all want our players to do well. But you would have to have some serious red tinted glasses to play Henderson ahead of Pickford. Pickford has always done well for England.
Has he? Pickford will be one of the worst keepers at the tournament I reckon.

I can never understand how he gets his game for England. I'd have Darren Randolph ahead of him if he were Irish.

acnumber9

That's how we feel.

Reading around the internet and speaking to my non-United supporting mates and I'm yet to see anyone else think he was anywhere close to being selected.
The narrative is set with Wan Bissaka. He can’t attack. Despite scoring and assisting more goals than Reece James, Kieran Trippier or Kyle Walker.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I’d keep in Lingard over that lot, only because of his experience and Russia 18’ if he can recapture his form in a West Ham shirt he could do it in a England shirt again.
I just don’t see where Lingard would play with Foden/Sterling/Rashford/Mount/Grealish/Sancho available for the CAM / RW / LW spots.

I'm not sure I'd start Henderson over him, but Pickford has only ever made me nervous as an England support. He will cost us in a massive moment eventually.
I wouldn’t argue Pickford is a great keeper, but he’s the best we have at the moment

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
My guess:

Goalkeepers:

Defenders:

• Ben Chilwell (Chelsea)
  • Conor Coady (Wolves)
  • Ben Godfrey (Everton)
  • Reece James (Chelsea)
  • Ben White (Brighton)
Midfielders:

• Mason Mount (Chelsea)
  • Declan Rice (West Ham)
Forwards:

• Phil Foden (Man City)
  • Harry Kane (Tottenham)
  • Bukayo Saka (Arsenal)
I agree other than I think he will take trent and either walker or trippier will miss out (probably trippier if he plans a back three as walker can play in the three or at full back)

personally Id take wardprowse over lingaard as well but I dont think southgate will ... I just feel ward prowse would be better at bringing on to control a game and we already have at least one of Graelish, Foden, Sancho to bring on if we are chasing a game