England - Euro 2021 Discussion | FA chairman: Southgate to be offered new contract until Euro 2024

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Anyone else think that this will be southgates last tournament and that he will rock up as Crystal Palace boss this summer when Woy leaves

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Don't care much for international football but Southgate's picks are just downright criminal.

Why can't England find a decent manager who plays progressive football with one of their best squads in a long time? Such a waste.

I pray that Southgate has seen the light and starts White next to Stones. But agreed with other posters that Tomori should be in the squad. Went to AC Milan and is rated highly there already.

romufc

Anyone else think that this will be southgates last tournament and that he will rock up as Crystal Palace boss this summer when Woy leaves
I haven't come across anyone that rates him as a manager yet.

Its a shame, given the wealth of talent he has, he is going to waste it playing defensive football.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I pray that Southgate has seen the light and starts White next to Stones. But agreed with other posters that Tomori should be in the squad. Went to AC Milan and is rated highly there already.
let’s be honest southgate hasn’t watched a minute of Serie A

RedDevilRoshi

I actually picked Ben White on the poll on here as TAA replacement but only as a joke :lol::D

Thought you guys would select JWP to be honest.

saivet

Right move to bring White in.

For all the discussions around which is England's best attacking line up, they are potentially going into a tournament with their weakest ever CB options. It's clear that Maguire isn't fir for this, and without him, they have no-one to marshal the defence.
I think it's been pretty weak for some time in terms of natural CBs in the squad since the 2006 World Cup with Rio, Terry, Campbell, Carragher. Without Maguire this year probably is the worst bunch but the others aren't much better in my opinion.

2018 World Cup:
Cahill
Jones
Maguire
Stones

2016 Euros:
Cahill
Smalling
Stones

2014 World Cup:
Cahill
Jagielka
Smalling
Jones

2012 Euros:
Cahill
Jones
Lescott
Terry

2010 World Cup (Rio injured pre-tournament):
Dawson
Terry
Upson
King

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Ferdinand-Campbell is still comfortably the best CB pairing England have had for sometime.

luck&neat

Don't care much for international football but Southgate's picks are just downright criminal.

Why can't England find a decent manager who plays progressive football with one of their best squads in a long time? Such a waste.
Yup. He's a poor manager that plays far too reservedly considering the resources at his disposal. Do wonder how much '96 has gone against a winning mentality with him as well.

It just feels like any other of the traditionally "big" European countries would do better with the current crop of English players.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Yup. He's a poor manager that plays far too reservedly considering the resources at his disposal. Do wonder how much '96 has gone against a winning mentality with him as well.

It just feels like any other of the traditionally "big" European countries would do better with the current crop of English players.
This England team in Germany would probably come second to France but only because they're just playing unfair at this point.

With Southgate in charge, I'd not put it past them bottling the group. I mean how is Grealish not an automatic starter in this team? Crazy stuff.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I've had that feeling for a while. I haven't been able to shake the feeling that he'll stand down after the tournament regardless of how we perform.

Freeney

Supports
Djibouti FC
Southgate shouldn't start either Rashford or Sterling. He should stick with a midfield 3 of Rice Bellingham and Mount; with a front 3 of Grealish, Foden and Kane, with Shaw and Walker providing the width.
I actually agree. However that formation would require a good manager/coach, who give the players smart instructions.
And since that’s not the case for England you have to start a pacy forward/winger who’s a goal threat

AshRK

JWP is extremely unlucky to miss out. If Henderson is not fit just don't take him. It's not like he is zidane who can be used in the latter stages. As for Maguire well I do see why Southgate wants to keep him. Their defense stinks so a 80 percent fit maguire will still do a better job. I feel Maguire will not be playing much anyways as can't see him being fit to start in group stages.

hobbers

Southgate is going to pay the price for wasting 3 picks on players who are totally unfit - Henderson, Maguire and Rashford.

Hard to think of them as serious challengers when the centreback options are Stones, Mings, Coady and White.

Grealish is the best player and Southgate doesnt even seem convinced he should start.

Red Star One

As a neutral all I can say is that it's a bit sad to see England playing such dull football with such amount of talent in squad (probably top3 in Europe, after France and Germany/Spain) - it's really difficult to watch the games and enjoy it.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Southgate is going to pay the price for wasting 3 picks on players who are totally unfit - Henderson, Maguire and Rashford.

Hard to think of them as serious challengers when the centreback options are Stones, Mings, Coady and White.

Grealish is the best player and Southgate doesnt even seem convinced he should start.
I do wonder if (at least till maguire is fit) he might go with a back three during the group stages with Walker and Shaw alongside Stones?

.......................Walker.............Stones...................Shaw...................
James......................Mount...................Rice......................Chilwell

then Kane up top with two of Graelish, Foden, Rashford, Sancho or Stirling

It would be pretty conservative but that kinda is what I expect from Southgate - especially in the group stages

hubbuh

Belgium are among the favourites and their backline is Vertonghen, Denayer, and Alderweireld.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I can see it, I genuinely don’t think we will get out of the group stages, and that’s not me doing the usual pessimistic England fan thing I truly believe it

Judas

Open to offers
Only just seen he's taking White :lol: god I am so so sick of Southgate. Nothing against White, but the options Southgate had, he's just the most dull and negative fella, and he's going to waste such an opportunity.

Bwuk

I do wonder if (at least till maguire is fit) he might go with a back three during the group stages with Walker and Shaw alongside Stones?

.......................Walker.............Stones...................Shaw...................
James......................Mount...................Rice......................Chilwell

It would be pretty conservative but that kinda is what I expect from Southgate - especially in the group stages
If Maguire isn't fit I'd think that would be the best way to do it.

Bwuk

Only just seen he's taking White :lol: god I am so so sick of Southgate. Nothing against White, but the options he had, he's just the most dull and negative fella, and he's going to waste such an opportunity.
?

White is a decent ball playing defender. Who else was he to take? Lingard or JWP, neither of whom would get a game?

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster

If he plays Mount in a 2 man midfield, I wouldn't say that's conservative! He'll probably play Henderson if he is there which is quite conservative

Judas

Open to offers
I'd have taken JWP. Our attack is our strength, but we're going to be a negative dull team even with the embarrassment of riches we have going forward.

White will probably sit on the bench why bloody Mings gets picked ahead of him.

?

White is a decent ball playing defender. Who else was he to take? Lingard or JWP, neither of whom would get a game?
doesn’t matter who he picked - we could be having the Southgate doesn’t have a clue brigade out posting…

the performances of Mings over the last two games probably has a lot to do with this.

he’s got a good chance of leapfrogging some of the other defenders.

BIGbadBOO4

Southgate is a terrible terrible manager, we won't win anything with him in charge. Like others have said he is defensive, safe and worries about not losing rather than winning. Out defence is poor but we have such progressive attacking midfielders and he won't embrace our strength. Like much that happens in England safe people and yes men become managers.

Judas

Open to offers
doesn’t matter who he picked - we could be having the Southgate doesn’t have a clue brigade out posting…

the performances of Mings over the last two games probably has a lot to do with this.

he’s got a good chance of leapfrogging some of the other defenders.
Do you think he has a clue then? You enjoy how we play under him what with the mass of talent we have?

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Southgate clearly has no clue. Why is he even England manager? He's rubbish. Managed (and failed!) Middlesbrough, well feck me sideways, what a career he's had.
The FA clearly wanted a nice milquetoast yes man after being left with egg on their faces by Big Sam and his brown envelopes.

They didn't have to look far to find one, and now they have one, they're very comfortable with him. The fact that he's not very good at the football management thing is obviously neither here nor there.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Watching England never changes, doesn’t matter who plays. It’s tumescent football where even the most technical of players look average.

SuperiorXI

The FA clearly wanted a nice milquetoast yes man after being left with egg on their faces by Big Sam and his brown envelopes.

They didn't have to look far to find one, and now they have one, they're very comfortable with him. The fact that he's not very good at the football management thing is obviously neither here nor there.
What bothers me is that the amount of money he gets paid the FA could have their pick of so many top quality managers, yet picked the lamest of all ducks in Southgate.

Judas

Open to offers
The man never even wanted the job. The FA lucked out that we did as well as we did at the WC and could stick with him, and seemingly fully back him.

Still expect that to change in the next few weeks, sadly expect a nightmare Euros from us. I'd love to be wrong, I'd take us 1-0'ing our way to the trophy all day long.

croadyman

I do worry about the lack of a quality set piece taker in this squad without JWP, however can understand picking White as there is still obvious concern about Maguire & Henderson's injuries so he wants cover in those two positions. I also feel that Gareth will not have liked what he's seen from Mings in the last two games particularly that wrestle in the penalty area against Austria. My gut feeling is that JWP would not have seen much action anyway so probably wouldn't be on the pitch when we actually get a free kick in a dangerous area or put in a swinging corner.

Do you think he has a clue then? You enjoy how we play under him what with the mass of talent we have?
let’s see how we actually do in the euros first. I’m far less judgemental than others.

international football is pretty difficult to get any consistency from players. Friendlies are a complete waste of time.

secondly, how else wants the job? Or could do better? For most managers taking the England job is the signal for the end of their career.

Judas

Open to offers
let’s see how we actually do in the euros first. I’m far less judgemental than others.

international football is pretty difficult to get any consistency from players. Friendlies are a complete waste of time.

secondly, how else wants the job? Or could do better? For most managers taking the England job is the signal for the end of their career.
I think most managers would be licking their lips at the prospect of managing the crop of England players coming through. It's nowhere near the toxic job it once was.

Havak

Pokemon master
One of my biggest worries with the squad is the lack of defensive / comfortable box-to-box midfield options. The only players I can see playing this role are Rice, Phillips and Henderson. The latter looks well off the pace, so I think there's a big gamble on both Rice & Phillips staying fit. Or, Southgate is planning to just play one of them more often than not and use three at the back instead.

Taking an extra CB instead of JWP probably means it is the latter and Maguire is looking less fit than even Henderson. Big worries at the back.

hobbers

Conservative in one sense, but if playing a back three allows you to have Mount and Grealish both on the pitch it might not actually be any more conservative than 4-2-3-1.

In a back 3/back 5 I'd have those seven with Sancho, Kane and Grealish personally. And maybe Saka instead of Chilwell.

izec

Southgate is so painfully out of his depth. Absolutely dull and boring. England will lose in the QFs.

The Purley King

One of my biggest worries with the squad is the lack of defensive / comfortable box-to-box midfield options. The only players I can see playing this role are Rice, Phillips and Henderson. The latter looks well off the pace, so I think there's a big gamble on both Rice & Phillips staying fit. Or, Southgate is planning to just play one of them more often than not and use three at the back instead.

Taking an extra CB instead of JWP probably means it is the latter and Maguire is looking less fit than even Henderson. Big worries at the back.
Bellingham should be starting for this reason. Henderson is shit and injured, Phillips is average and Rice excels in more open games, which we are unlikely to have many of. Doesn't matter if he's 17 or not, if he's in the squad he should be starting given the other options.

DSG

Seemed to me that Grealish was the best player on the pitch. I don’t know how he’s not in the first 11, either as LW or part of the midfield.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Ferdinand-Campbell is still comfortably the best CB pairing England have had for sometime.
What was English defence in 90s? That was also talented generation with Shearer, Gascoigne, Teddy...
I remember when they destroyed amazing Holland team in 1996