England - Euro 2021 Discussion | FA chairman: Southgate to be offered new contract until Euro 2024

Red Star One

What do people think to a CM two of Henderson and Bellingham? Too open?
This is honestly how I always thought I’d play it in Football Manager but rather with Rice behind to give them freedom. In a two behind 4 super offensive players not gonna happen.

VivaRonaldo85

I hope I’m very wrong but nothing I’ve seen so far in this tournament makes my head believe we can do much more. I feel like the moment we face top class opposition, we’ll get exploited and go out in a bit of a whimper. No idea why I’m pessimistic after winning the group and not conceding but it’s just a feeling watching this team gives. Hope my heart is right…..

alexthelion

I hope I’m very wrong but nothing I’ve seen so far in this tournament makes my head believe we can do much more. I feel like the moment we face top class opposition, we’ll get exploited and go out in a bit of a whimper. No idea why I’m pessimistic after winning the group and not conceding but it’s just a feeling watching this team gives. Hope my heart is right…..
Southgate and his playing style are sucking all the joy from winning. God knows what it will be like when we lose.

Djemba-Djemba

I was fine with the Croatia game.

Croatia aren't the force they once were but they're very experienced and they still have some quality players like Modric and Perisic. Both are probably past their best but still good players who have won titles and the Champions League etc. They both did the business tonight against Scotland for example. Plus the semi final defeat at the last World Cup will have been in Southgates mind.

So I was fine with us being cautious there and grinding out a 1-0 win.

The Scotland game was appalling though and I thought the 2nd half tonight was every bit as bad. We look so slow and ponderous, there's no spark or excitement.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea

Croatia aren't the force they once were but they're very experienced and they still have some quality players like Modric and Perisic. Both are probably past their best but still good players who have won titles and the Champions League etc. They both did the business tonight against Scotland for example. Plus the semi final defeat at the last World Cup will have been in Southgates mind.

The Scotland game was appalling though and I thought the 2nd half tonight was every bit as bad. We look so slow and ponderous, there's no spark or excitement.
Today was total waste. They didn't create opportunity like previous games to be fair. First twenty minutes were ok then totally played in sleep walking mode.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I wouldn't drop Kane. He hasn't looked sharp in the group games but he is obviously still our best striker, much better than DCL anyway. Imagine DCL or Rashford on a 1:1 against Germany... the odds are so much worse on them bagging than Kane.

Djemba-Djemba

I wouldn't drop Kane. He hasn't looked sharp in the group games but he is obviously still our best striker, much better than DCL anyway. Imagine DCL or Rashford on a 1:1 against Germany... the odds are so much worse on them bagging than Kane.
The thing is Kane looks like he'd collapse with exhaustion before he could shoot if he was 1 on 1.

It looks like his legs have gone.

Champagne Football

Bielsa as manager with these players... ooft.
Same thing was said about Capello in fairness before he took over. Kevin Keegan tried to bring sexy football and didn't happen despite Newcastle looking incredible under his watch.

The job is not worth the potential career damage for the likes of Tuchel and Klopp to be interested, so I think Southgate is not the worst option for now.

sincher

The Scotland game was poor for sure. Can easily excuse the 2nd half tonight given the circumstances... disappointing to watch as a fan but from a management perspective it was ok... some game time for Henderson and we saw it out, however dull.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Kane won't be there to miss these chances though. I am totally disappointed with him.

sincher

Kane won't be there to miss these chances though. I am totally disappointed with him.
Yeah I suppose I am too, but the group games can be weird and he definitely has lacked service as well as looking a bit off it. Would keep him in and change the selections around him. Rashford might be worth a shout, someone to combine with.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah I suppose I am too, but the group games can be weird and he definitely has lacked service as well as looking a bit off it. Would keep him in and change the selections around him. Rashford might be worth a shout, someone to combine with.
I was already in drained state with all the striker problem chelsea had. At least with England and kane hope the things were going to change but yet again disappointed. :lol:

AndyMUFC

Better first half tonight with nothing really happening in the second. Can't see us beating Germany, Portugal or France but to be honest I don't imagine we'd have a good chance of beating them under anyone because we're not good enough with the ball. A week to hope though.

sincher

Anyway good shout from Southg8 to start Saka, despite it apparently being regarded as laughable by many on Redcafe :)

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Anyway good shout from Southg8 to start Saka, despite it apparently being regarded as laughable by many on Redcafe :)
No wasn't a good decision tbh, cause now we play a team from the group of death. Fml.

RazorOz

I would like to see Rice and Bellingham
I'd like to see this, and this was what I picked before the tournament, but there's absolutely no chance Southgate tinkers with it in the last 16. If anything don't be surprised if we line up even more negative in the last 16 than so far.

Honestly feel to me that we are heading for a lashing next Tuesday where we're like 2-0 down in 30 minutes and the cliches get rolled you how "you just didn't see this coming, England had been defending so well coming into this game" when to me the writing has been on the wall, we are not playing well, but I think Southgate is pretty satisifed so he will line up similarly next week. Last 16 with the squad we have at our disposal will be a massive disappointment, but all the excitement I had for this Euros has been sucked out of me, there is just no creative spark in the team. You feel like we're in big trouble if we go down a goal at the moment, as we barely look like scoring in games, and vs average opposition to boot.

The thing is it's not that people necessarily think Saka is bad, it's just delusional to think he's on the level of Sancho. Sancho had like twice as many goal contributions in 600 less minutes this season. The laughable bit is Saka gets a start while better players in the squad sit on the bench game after game, that's where the frustration comes from, and Saka really isn't the symptom of that problem either. Saka won't start next week anyway, Foden will come back in the team. All the guff from Southgate before the tournament how he will pick in form players has been shown up to be just that, guff.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
I actually thought Kane played well today. Saka was a great choice. Grealish is the obvious choice but he only played him because Mount is injured. The sacred cow that needs replacing is Sterling for me. Rice=Philips again just no. Philips - Henderson, better. Best option, he may be 17, but he's gonna be good enough should be Bellingham alongside Henderson. Kane is not pacey, especially atm, but he does hold the ball up well and finds the flanks pretty reliably. Rice- philips again and we kiss the ball goodbye against whoever from group F.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
England are terrible. The worst side I’ve watched qualify from their group. They’ve got good players but a woeful manager.

RazorOz

The only way Southgate may have got sacked was if we didn't get out the group.

He's safe now no matter what.
I find it hard to believe his job shouldn't be on offer if we go out in the last 16. It's a dreadful performance to go out in the last 16 with this squad. Bare in mind making the last 16 is like going out of the group stage of the Euros in the old days, something an England manager would be sacked for. You'd have to be rank awful not to make it to the last 16 when you consider how easy the Euros is to first qualify for and then that top 3 in a group of 4 is mostly enough to qualify at the group stage at said Euros.

sincher

I'd like to see this, and this was what I picked before the tournament, but there's absolutely no chance Southgate tinkers with it in the last 16. If anything don't be surprised if we line up even more negative in the last 16 than so far.

Honestly feel to me that we are heading for a lashing next Tuesday where we're like 2-0 down in 30 minutes and the cliches get rolled you how "you just didn't see this coming, England had been defending so well coming into this game" when to me the writing has been on the wall, we are not playing well, but I think Southgate is pretty satisifed so he will line up similarly next week. Last 16 with the squad we have at our disposal will be a massive disappointment, but all the excitement I had for this Euros has been sucked out of me, there is just no creative spark in the team. You feel like we're in big trouble if we go down a goal at the moment, as we barely look like scoring in games, and vs average opposition to boot.

The thing is it's not that people necessarily think Saka is bad, it's just delusional to think he's on the level of Sancho. Sancho had like twice as many goal contributions in 600 less minutes this season. The laughable bit is Saka gets a start while better players in the squad sit on the bench game after game, that's where the frustration comes from, and Saka really isn't the symptom of that problem either. Saka won't start next week anyway, Foden will come back in the team. All the guff from Southgate before the tournament how he will pick in form players has been shown up to be just that, guff.
Listening to him after the game he mentioned twice being very impressed with Saka's work on and off the ball. The reasoning behind picking him was pretty sound tbh.

sincher

England are terrible. The worst side I’ve watched qualify from their group. They’ve got good players but a woeful manager.
That is an overreaction for sure. Sweden have qualified, for a start.

This place is actually worse about England than it is about United, which is saying something!

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea

Southgate started saka for his extreme workrate. He did well to help out the defense on his side and also provided attacking outlet. Southgate just prefered his players that way.

I doubt foden will get into this side over saka. May be for grealish but not saka. Saka earned it in my opinion.Great little player who works hard for the team that saka.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
That is an overreaction for sure. Sweden have qualified, for a start.

This place is actually worse about England than it is about United, which is saying something!
Shame we won’t see. I think England would struggle whoever they faced next. They might beat a Sweden on individual quality but the team as a whole is less than the sum of its parts and much less than the potential of its squad.

RazorOz

Southgate started saka for his extreme workrate. He did well to help out the defense on his side and also provided attacking outlet. Southgate just prefered his players that way.

I doubt foden will get into this side over saka. May be for grealish but not saka. Saka earned it in my opinion.Great little player who works hard for the team that saka.
The way Southgate said he wasn't playing Foden because of him being a book away from a suspension is basically a guarantee he will be back in the side in my mind. Southgate also seems to operate off favourites, it could be Grealish to miss out, but I suspect it still ends up being Saka, Southgate praises everyone at the time, you can't really read too much into that thinking he will start next game. Southgate was praising Grealish for example after both friendlies before the Euros, he barely played a minute the first 2 games.

Listening to him after the game he mentioned twice being very impressed with Saka's work on and off the ball. The reasoning behind picking him was pretty sound tbh.
Saka was decent, don't think you will get many disagreeing with that, some will say that reasoning is somewhat revealing of Southgate's mindset though.

What I look at more is England clearly still aren't clicking as a team. After the game tonight, we've got people praising Saka, praising Grealish, praising Sterling, even some people are saying Kane played well, yet England still looked bang average and like they can barely score a goal or create a chance, so it seems unlikely all these things can be true. In the wider context, this England team still isn't delivering the performances that are expected, or that will be needed to win the tournament.

alexthelion

If we play either they'll be just as bas as Kane, if not worse.
Won't know unless you try them, but at least DCL would be up the field, not poncing about on the halway line like Kane. Southgate needs to tell him to stay up front.

alexthelion

Just a shame he omly played the first half, he was totally anonymous in the second.

Eternitiy

_____________Pickford
______Walker_Stones_Maguire
Trippier_____________________Shaw
____________Henderson
______Sterling_______Grealish
__________Kane___Sancho