England - Euro 2021 Discussion | FA chairman: Southgate to be offered new contract until Euro 2024

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
England (Group D)
  • England v Croatia: June 13 at Wembley
  • England v Scotland: June 18 at Wembley
  • Czech Republic v England: June 22 at Wembley

When will England's Euro 2020 squad be announced?
Southgate was expected to announce his Euro 2020 squad at 1pm on Tuesday May 25, but reports have stated that he will delay the 26-man selection until the June 1 deadline. Instead, Southgate is prepared to name a 30-man provisional squad at the original time of 1pm on May 25.

The manager will then whittle down his team to 26. The deadline for all 24 competing teams at the competition is June 1, 10 days prior to the start of the tournament.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
When will England's Euro 2020 squad be announced?
Southgate was expected to announce his Euro 2020 squad at 1pm on Tuesday May 25, but reports have stated that he will delay the 26-man selection until the June 1 deadline. Instead, Southgate is prepared to name a 30-man provisional squad at the original time of 1pm on May 25.

The manager will then whittle down his team to 26. The deadline for all 24 competing teams at the competition is June 1, 10 days prior to the start of the tournament.
Decisive leadership.

hubbuh

It doesn't make sense to not include Trent. If it all goes tits up he'll be useful to stick on and spam balls into the box when chasing a goal. Shaw - Maguire - Stones - Walker is surely the backline, though, assuming Southgate doesn't go 5 at the back like a total div.

Minkaro

Trust England to be extra. Nobody else is naming a provisional squad.
Italy named 33. Switzerland named 29. Turkey named 30. Wales named 28. Finland named 28. Russia named 30. Netherlands named 34. Ukraine named 35. Hungary named 30. All of these will need to be whittled down to the 26.

Slovakia also named a provisional squad, but they need to add two players. Apart from that though, you’re right.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Shit! :( Him and Robertson need a rest FFS.
He's just sticking him in the provisional and then booting him, I reckon. All the reports seemed to suggest he wasn't going to be in the side - madly enough.

Ben White is a weird one -- I guess with Henderson and possibly Phillips out, we need potential DM cover?

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
It does make sense to wait until the club finals are over where a lot of English players are involved.

diarm

He's just sticking him in the provisional and then booting him, I reckon. All the reports seemed to suggest he wasn't going to be in the side - madly enough.

Ben White is a weird one -- I guess with Henderson and possibly Phillips out, we need potential DM cover?
If I was English, I'd prefer to see White in than Mings. Konsa as well for that matter, but there seems to have been no talk of him.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool

Nah this is Gareth "I haven't a clue to rub between my legs" Southgate. He'll go with the wave of public opinion now that TAA heroically finished 3rd. He hasn't a clue what type of style he wants to play yet, let alone the components needed. :rolleyes:

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I think Tomori has done well enough in Milan to warrant at least some attention by Southgate.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I hope Godfrey gets a call up. Deserves it.
If I was English, I'd prefer to see White in than Mings. Konsa as well for that matter, but there seems to have been no talk of him.
Konsa, Tomori, Godfrey — I’d take any of those three over Coady and Mings. The latter gets some leeway I suppose owing to him being a lefty (but not really good at much else) but Conor Coady — really? I don’t know how Jamie Carragher has pushed such propaganda on SSN regularly that he’s actually a competent defender.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Konsa, Tomori, Godfrey — I’d take any of those three over Coady and Mings. The latter gets some leeway I suppose owing to him being a lefty (but not really good at much else) but Conor Coady — really? I don’t know how Jamie Carragher has pushed such propaganda on SSN regularly that he’s actually a competent defender.
I would probably take Maguire and Stones and then Godfrey/Tomori. Walker too to fit in at CB/RB.

Coady and Mings are pants.

saivet

I would probably take Maguire and Stones and then Godfrey/Tomori. Walker too to fit in at CB/RB.

Coady and Mings are pants.
It's exactly the way I feel about Coady, Mings and Dier. I'd rather take younger more inexperienced players than those three.

Lynty

You'd never had thought it at the start of the season, but Bellingham really should be starting with the injuries to Henderson and Phillips. Gutted he didn't come to United.

------------------------------- Henderson -----------------------------

Walker ----------- Stones --------- Maguire ----------- Shaw

-------------------- Rice -------------- Bellingham -----------------

Sancho --------------------- Foden --------------------- Grealish

---------------------------------- Kane --------------------------------------

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I think Tomori has done well enough in Milan to warrant at least some attention by Southgate.
Depends, who are the other options and how many CBs he plans to take

Now, Tomori is *good*, but he's rather poor on the ball at the moment

TheReligion

Abusive
Trust England to be extra. Nobody else is naming a provisional squad.
Italy named 33. Switzerland named 29. Turkey named 30. Wales named 28. Finland named 28. Russia named 30. Netherlands named 34. Ukraine named 35. Hungary named 30. All of these will need to be whittled down to the 26.

Slovakia also named a provisional squad, but they need to add two players. Apart from that though, you’re right.
Ruined :lol:

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout

The other options are not exactly Beckenbauer.

Tomori is better with the ball than most of the other England central defenders, he's also faster than all of them.

Last edited:

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

Maguire, Stones, Mings, Coady, White, Konsa.

I may be forgetting some other options, but Southgate will be picking from that group. Maguire and Stones are the obvious standouts, but beyond those two ...

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Maguire, Stones, Mings, Coady, White, Konsa.

I may be forgetting some other options, but Southgate will be picking from that group. Maguire and Stones are the obvious standouts, but beyond those two ...
Damn, yeah. Reckon Tomori is probably the third best player of the bunch defensively. Not sure how much Konsa/White/Coady would improve him in possession, and Mings shouldn't be anywhere near the england team honestly

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Prediction on what Southgate picks for the preliminary 30-man squad

Goalkeepers - Pickford, Pope, Henderson, Johnstone

Full-backs - Walker, Alexander-Arnold, Trippier, James, Chilwell, Shaw

Centre-backs - Maguire, Stones, Coady, Mings, Dier

Centre Midfielders - Henderson, Rice, Phillips, Ward-Prowse, Bellingham

Attacking Midfielders - Foden, Grealish, Mount, Lingard

Forwards - Kane, Rashford, Sterling, Sancho, Calvert-Lewin, Greenwood

I think he’ll take 3 right backs, so yes I think he’ll pick 4 in the preliminary.

izec

What happened to Phillips? A big blow if he misses out on his first tournament due to an injury in the last game

saivet

What happened to Phillips? A big blow if he misses out on his first tournament due to an injury in the last game
Picked up a shoulder injury on the final day of the season. I read a statement from Leeds saying that he'll be available for selection for the Euros though.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Damn, yeah. Reckon Tomori is probably the third best player of the bunch defensively. Not sure how much Konsa/White/Coady would improve him in possession, and Mings shouldn't be anywhere near the england team honestly
I think White and Konsa are really good players too. Tomori is probably not that different to them overall, but the experience he's got playing for the second best team in Italy this season can't just be ignored.

diarm

Prediction on what Southgate picks for the preliminary 30-man squad

Goalkeepers - Pickford, Pope, Henderson, Johnstone

Full-backs - Walker, Alexander-Arnold, Trippier, James, Chilwell, Shaw

Centre-backs - Maguire, Stones, Coady, Mings, Dier

Centre Midfielders - Henderson, Rice, Phillips, Ward-Prowse, Bellingham

Attacking Midfielders - Foden, Grealish, Mount, Lingard

Forwards - Kane, Rashford, Sterling, Sancho, Calvert-Lewin, Greenwood

I think he’ll take 3 right backs, so yes I think he’ll pick 4 in the preliminary.
I'd say he'll take Ings instead of one of those right backs. Also reckon White will make it over one of the CB's - should be Mings or Dier but not sure who exactly.

He will wait until all the finals are played because that one game will show us all how good a player really is or isn't.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Can't help but think this'll be the squad/tournament that sees people turn against Southgate.

It was one thing to take an average squad to the world cup semis (albeit via a favourable route), but with the talent - especially in attack - England now have, I think there'll be demands for a more positive/attacking mindset.

Judas

Open to offers
Can't help but think this'll be the squad/tournament that sees people turn against Southgate.

It was one thing to take an average squad to the world cup semis (albeit via a favourable route), but with the talent - especially in attack - England now have, I think there'll be demands for a more positive/attacking mindset.
No doubt in my mind this is how it'll go. The nation will turn when he makes an absolute mess of having such brilliant attacking talent, and making us a negative tumescent bore fest. All the signs are there.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
The other options are not exactly Beckenbauer.

Tomori is better with the ball than most of the other England central defenders, he's also faster than all of them.
probably a close race with Godfrey. He’s rapid.

diarm

Has Ings retired? Surprised that everyone is up in arms about Bamford but not him.

Mings is absolutely stealing a reputation. He isn't even the best English CB at Villa.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Wasn't expecting to see Bellingham.

There's a good squad in there but we're light in midfield. Still, we can definitely bring a squad and put out an 11 worthy of challenging.

He will wait until all the finals are played because that one game will show us all how good a player really is or isn't.
Or perhaps he’s waiting to see players come through unscathed, and also he’s giving them a week off.

Far better to release players from a bigger squad, that have to call people up on 1 June as replacements.