England - Euro 2021 Discussion | FA chairman: Southgate to be offered new contract until Euro 2024

Mickson

On a negative note for England their manager or coaching staff have no clue either.
The Swedish coach Janne Andersson said that they guess right on the opposition team 9 out of 10 times. I think they have a pretty good idea how their opposition will line up, even in this case.

Speaking of, how will England line up?!

telstar96

I reckon England and a lot of other teams will work out their best XI over the course of the tournament. The group stage can be an opportunity to chop and change the line up. I feel like going into the tournament most of the favourites don't have a defined starting XI, bar Italy. This mainly down to injuries and the lack of preparation teams have had in the run up to the Euro's (normally everyone would have at least a month to prepare, this year it's been 2-3 weeks max).

England are probably the most effected by the tight schedule this year. I believe 12 of the 26 players were involved in both the EL and UCL finals, so by the time they arrived at the England camp, it was going to be very difficult to give game time to the 12 that arrived late. Rashford and Shaw played 75mins which is good to see, but I can imagine Southgate just wanted the others to have a full weeks worth of rest before chucking them into a game. I know Werner got a run out for Germany, but honestly is there a massive benefit giving them playing time? In my opinion, I don't think so. Just look at the way Austria and Romania were kicking lumps out of the England players, the risk of injury outweighs a 45min run out. Hopefully through the group stage Southgate can figure the side he wants to go with and be ready for an extremely difficult knockout stage (England are on the worst side of the draw :().

SungSam7

On a negative note for England their manager or coaching staff have no clue either.
I laughed harder than expected at this.
Last time I checked, friendlies, club football and training sessions should be a chance to break into an international side. Using players who arent even going to the Euros is absolutely mad.

Players going should be playing and the apparent best players should start while the subs should try push them out with their display when they get on the pitch.

croadyman

I reckon England and a lot of other teams will work out their best XI over the course of the tournament. The group stage can be an opportunity to chop and change the line up. I feel like going into the tournament most of the favourites don't have a defined starting XI, bar Italy. This mainly down to injuries and the lack of preparation teams have had in the run up to the Euro's (normally everyone would have at least a month to prepare, this year it's been 2-3 weeks max).

England are probably the most effected by the tight schedule this year. I believe 12 of the 26 players were involved in both the EL and UCL finals, so by the time they arrived at the England camp, it was going to be very difficult to give game time to the 12 that arrived late. Rashford and Shaw played 75mins which is good to see, but I can imagine Southgate just wanted the others to have a full weeks worth of rest before chucking them into a game. I know Werner got a run out for Germany, but honestly is there a massive benefit giving them playing time? In my opinion, I don't think so. Just look at the way Austria and Romania were kicking lumps out of the England players, the risk of injury outweighs a 45min run out. Hopefully through the group stage Southgate can figure the side he wants to go with and be ready for an extremely difficult knockout stage (England are on the worst side of the draw :().
Yeah we would be better off coming second in the group as would mean avoiding the Group of Death teams until the final

Lee565

With sterling and rashford not at their best is it crazy to suggest that maybe kane won't suit our other current best attacking players? Because he likes to come deep and release others running in behind like son and if we look at our current best options for the wing based on performances your looking at mount, grealish and foden who aren't known for running in behind. Based on form our best bet probably would have actually been lingard on the left and Greenwood on the right.

RonaldoVII

25 players trained this morning. The one absentee is Maguire who continued to work in the gym. How many training sessions is he likely to need before he can play?

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
25 players trained this morning. The one absentee is Maguire who continued to work in the gym. How many training sessions is he likely to need before he can play?
Depends if he's running yet. Could be a couple of weeks if he's not really on his feet or if he tried too hard to get back for the Europa League Final.

Lee565

They should send harry home, when has it worked in the past for England when they have taken an injured player to a tournament in hope he will play some part?

croadyman

They should send harry home, when has it worked in the past for England when they have taken an injured player to a tournament in hope he will play some part?
You have a very valid point indeed but there is no way they will do it considering we haven't got a replacement for him

croadyman

There is no doubt I would prefer us to be on the other side of the draw by finishing second in the group but then we all said that about Iceland in Euro 2016 and just look what happened there, on the other hand we would get a massive confidence boost if we could find a way to get past one of France/Germany/Portugal but looks too much of an ask in my opinion. I would rather play them later in the tournament when we maybe have a bit more momentum behind us.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Guys, are Foden and Mount in first 11 vs us? I ask for football reasons and for fantasy:wenger:
No idea. Reckon Mount has more of a chance than Foden of starting, although both should.

Other than Kane, it's really hard to gauge how Southgate will set-out his attack.

Canucantona20

The second best out of Portugal/France/Germany

They arguably would have a better chance coming 2nd and potentially getting Spain?
They would have a better chance against Spain. But I think they can get past Portugal, although it will be very difficult. Germany would be the best option but I see them coming third that group.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
They would have a better chance against Spain. But I think they can get past Portugal, although it will be very difficult. Germany would be the best option but I see them coming third that group.
I think they go out in the 16 anyway to be honest. Whether it's against Portugal, Spain, Germany or France.

Winzaghi

Supports
Aston Villa
Mings played a crucial role in the league's 5th best defense this season. I know you guys don't like him for various reasons but come on, you make him sound like Titus Bramble or something.