England - Euro 2021 Discussion | FA chairman: Southgate to be offered new contract until Euro 2024

croadyman

The second best out of Portugal/France/Germany

They arguably would have a better chance coming 2nd and potentially getting Spain?
Would expect Spain to win their group so coming second is likely to mean Poland/Sweden

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Mings played a crucial role in the league's 5th best defense this season. I know you guys don't like him for various reasons but come on, you make him sound like Titus Bramble or something.
You weren't the 5th best defence. You were joint 7th best with Brighton.

By your 'x best defence' logic Rob Holding and Nat Phillips should be in the squad over Mings. Your logic also says he's very lucky to get the nod over Dunk and Webster who have been equally crucial in a similar defence.

Mings played a crucial role in the league's 5th best defense this season. I know you guys don't like him for various reasons but come on, you make him sound like Titus Bramble or something.
Titus Bramble is about the right level. If Mings was playing at the same time as Titus, you can bet he wouldn’t be near the England squad.

Winzaghi

Supports
Aston Villa

By your 'x best defence' logic Rob Holding and Nat Phillips should be in the squad over Mings. Your logic also says he's very lucky to get the nod over Dunk and Webster who have been equally crucial in a similar defence.
I stand corrected, it was actually joint 6th.

Rob Holding and Nat Phillips weren't the bedrocks of their respective defenses. Phillips certainly wasn't, he only made 17 appearances for starters and was nothing more than a stopgap solution to an emergency, despite performing admirably.

Also I think Dunk in particular should have made it and is of a similar caliber. Wouldn't class him as very lucky considering as you say, by my logic they were part of similar defences. It's more like they were slightly unlucky to miss out.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
According to the press gossip, Southgate will play Shaw at CB in a plan that will have 4 fullbacks in defence

imagine that if you were a CB :lol:

Santos J

According to the press gossip, Southgate will play Shaw at CB in a plan that will have 4 fullbacks in defence

imagine that if you were a CB :lol:
Considering his obsession with 5 at the back it's not that bad of a shout tbf, I'd imagine it's:

Walker - Stones - Shaw
Trippier - - - - - - - - - - - - Chilwell

Would rather an actual CB in place of Walker but White's left footed (I think?) & Coady's a bit shit

saivet

Considering his obsession with 5 at the back it's not that bad of a shout tbf, I'd imagine it's:

Walker - Stones - Shaw

Would rather an actual CB in place of Walker but White's left footed (I think?) & Coady's a bit shit
I believe Mings is the only left footed CB.

saivet

Maguire is training with the rest of the squad.

Well, he's doing the warmup stretches whilst the cameras are there, anyway.
Good news, hopefully he's available to play against Scotland or the Czech Rebuplic.

RonaldoVII

Not really based on anything in particular but Maguire doesn't seem the type to need weeks of training to get back ready. Can't see him being ready for Croatia but the Scotland game is a week on Friday so imagine he must have a chance with no set backs.

SER19

Don't know why but i think England will let down massively. Likely win group but struggle beyond it. Goalkeeper and defence are limited, Southgate hasn't convinced me he knows how to use his best attackers most effectively and their midfield will struggle against that of France Germany or Italys. The friction with fans and attention over the knee isn't helping mood around build up either

redshaw

I kind of doubt Southgate will have Shaw at CB, he has Stones, Godfrey, White, Mings, and Coady.

Probably going to be Stones and Mings/White?

If Maguire comes back and breaks down it's best to already have a proper CB partnership played in the comp.

Good post. Mings is really average and he sticks out like a saw thumb next to actual good defenders like Ben White. His two performances in the Friendlies were awful and that’s why Gareth has taken White instead of JWP.

Acole9

Outstanding
I honestly thought people were being a bit over the top about Mings and possibly had an agenda against him because of his past misdemeanours but he's been pretty bad.

Surely logic would've said Ward Prowse would be the replacement in the squad because he's a centre midfielder but I think Southgate is worried about Mings and that's why White has been called up.

Drawfull

As others have said, despite the wealth of talent at disposal, we're tedious to watch. Tempted to posit that if it wasn't for third-place lucky losers meaning group stage elimination is virtually impossible, we wouldn't get out the group. Even with that, I still think there is a serious chance of us coming last. Depends on Scotland / England match.

We never start tourneys well, so expect a draw in the first game. Lose to Scotland next and squeaky bum time ensues. I'd be pissed off, but it'd be hilarious at the same time.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
I believe Mings is the only left footed CB.
only reason he makes the squad. If he was right footed I don’t see him anywhere near. He is the modern day Joleon Lescott, his club fans will defend him but everyone else knows he is bang average.

Don't know why but i think England will let down massively. Likely win group but struggle beyond it. Goalkeeper and defence are limited, Southgate hasn't convinced me he knows how to use his best attackers most effectively and their midfield will struggle against that of France Germany or Italys. The friction with fans and attention over the knee isn't helping mood around build up either
Be glad he cannot bring himself on to take a penalty. All his decision making is questionable. All he knows how to do is politically maneuver through a staged press conference. His ability as the FA yes man is second to none.

As for our defense vs Croatia..

walker —— mings — — Shaw
James. ———————— chilwell

As I have stated many times before, James over Trippier is 100% certainty and with rumors he will play Shaw at cb.. it’s a very Southgate thing to do.

bosskeano

Walker - Stones - Shaw

that would be the ultimate mismanagement and tactical mistake which should get him fired right after the match ends when they lose. A true CF would absolutely destroy that group and would be pulling them all over the place to the point it would look like a disjointed puzzle. While Walker and Shaw are solid players, i don't think they are of the highest soccer IQ and we know Stones has been shit for England and CIty until Dias came along with a bit of tactical nous and organizational skills.

If I was a CB and he pulled that shit, he would lose my loyalty as a player.

Santos J

that would be the ultimate mismanagement and tactical mistake which should get him fired right after the match ends when they lose. A true CF would absolutely destroy that group and would be pulling them all over the place to the point it would look like a disjointed puzzle. While Walker and Shaw are solid players, i don't think they are of the highest soccer IQ and we know Stones has been shit for England and CIty until Dias came along with a bit of tactical nous and organizational skills.

If I was a CB and he pulled that shit, he would lose my loyalty as a player.
Except the other CB's are Mings, Coady & White - not exactly shoe-ins. White should probably get the nod but he wasn't even supposed to be going a week ago so I'd be surprised if he's invovled much.

Santos J

only reason he makes the squad. If he was right footed I don’t see him anywhere near. He is the modern day Joleon Lescott, his club fans will defend him but everyone else knows he is bang average.

Be glad he cannot bring himself on to take a penalty. All his decision making is questionable. All he knows how to do is politically maneuver through a staged press conference. His ability as the FA yes man is second to none.

walker —— mings — — Shaw
James. ———————— chilwell

As I have stated many times before, James over Trippier is 100% certainty and with rumors he will play Shaw at cb.. it’s a very Southgate thing to do.
Mings wouldn't play in there over Stones & James is definitely not a 100% certainty to start over Trippier.

saivet

Except the other CB's are Mings, Coady & White - not exactly shoe-ins. White should probably get the nod but he wasn't even supposed to be going a week ago so I'd be surprised if he's invovled much.
Exactly, those guys are probably just happy to be there as part of the squad. They'll be disappointed but it's hardly dropping a big name CB causing a problem within the squad. Walker has played there numerous times for England including the WC and Shaw has played there on multiple occasions for United in the PL and CL.

bosskeano

that list just shows you how poor England have done in developing top flight CB's....it also shows why finding/purchasing and having top class CB's at club level well is difficult but fcking vital

JB7

walker —— mings — — Shaw
James. ———————— chilwell

Anyone picking Mings over Stones probably needs a call from their doctor.

TheGame

Walker - Stones - Shaw

That defence would get taken apart at crosses and set pieces.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
So any word out yet on what will be the main midfield options? Surely not all of Rashford/Sancho/Foden/Mount/Grealish/Sterling can start?

Hope to see a lot of Grealish.

saivet

So any word out yet on what will be the main midfield options? Surely not all of Rashford/Sancho/Foden/Mount/Grealish/Sterling can start?

Hope to see a lot of Grealish.
Nothing really but in terms of those players I think only Mount is certain to start.

I'd imagine it will be one of Sterling or Rashford for a bit of pace and one of Foden or Grealish for more creativity.

My guess would be Grealish on the left and Sterling on the right.

I'd be very surprised if Sancho gets a start to be honest.

kidbob

Question for the England fans as I strangely don't really know that much about your normal starting 11. Is Grealish nailed on to start? Heard talk on the radio that made it seem like he isn't. For me that would be lunacy as I expect him to show that he's the best player you guys have over the course of the tournament and especially if England do well.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Question for the England fans as I strangely don't really know that much about your normal starting 11. Is Grealish nailed on to start? Heard talk on the radio that made it seem like he isn't. For me that would be lunacy as I expect him to show that he's the best player you guys have over the course of the tournament and especially if England do well.
Probably won't start the first game. I expect him to come on and look good in a losing cause. He'll then start the next game.