England - Euro 2021 Discussion | FA chairman: Southgate to be offered new contract until Euro 2024

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I think fitness will be Englands undoing. Fully fit and fresh, they'd have as good a chance as anyone IMO. But as it is...aquire half fit, Henderson half fit, Rashford half fit, Grealish just back from injury, the others pretty much knackered after very long and strenuous seasons.. other countries just aren't as fecked physically IMO. It's unfortunate as with the latter stages being at Wembley and the quality in the squad means it's the best chance England have had in ages. I just think don't think they'll pull through.

MU655

No United players in his starting 11 other than Henderson. No Shaw..... the grudge continues.
To be fair, he did say 'with Maguire out', so he would likely choose him. Also, he chose Dean Henderson in goal.

Other than that, I actually agree with him. I also think familiarity is important with James, Mount, and Chillwell in the same team. Shaw would be the only United player in the team.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Just having a look at Englands history in the competition. Have they never won a knockout game passed the groups in 90mins ? Spain in 96 was on Pens. Staggering.

cyberman

Tha

No United players in his starting 11 other than Henderson. No Shaw..... the grudge continues.
Thats ridulous. Shaws biggest strength is his calmness under pressure. The wsmay he carries the ball up the pitch is a joy to watch. Its babble to exclude the best FB in Europe last season

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Good luck England from the DM readers.

alllivesmatter4eva, Nottingham, United Kingdom,
Nothing is coming home, the only thing coming back to this country is a thousand people on dinghy's
ZIPIT666, TONBRIDGE, UNITED KINGDOM,COME ON CROATIA...SMASH THE WOKES
Orlandoman111, Somewhere in the, United Kingdom,
What next, "George Floyd day" bank holiday
Pig farmer in dorset, Bridport, United Kingdom,
Come on croatia! Please beat knee dragging wokeland
Wimbledon88, london, United Kingdom,
Will be interesting to see the England players kneeling while the Scots players stand tall. Could be a psychological boost for the Scots.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...86F-hottest-weekend-year.html#article-9675799

Just having a look at Englands history in the competition. Have they never won a knockout game passed the groups in 90mins ? Spain in 96 was on Pens. Staggering.
italy had NEVER scored more than 2 goals EVER at the Euros before tonight.

means bigger all.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
italy had NEVER scored more than 2 goals EVER at the Euros before tonight.

means bigger all.
Plus, England also usually go out in the groups. I think it was only 1996 when they actually made it out the group. Before 1996 the only 4 or 8 teams participated in the tournament so it was pretty difficult to qualify, let alone get out the groups.

Since it’s been expanded, England have actually managed to get out the groups (when they qualify!) apart from Euro 2000.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He’s going to start an out of form Rashford & Sterling and bench an in form Foden & Grealish. Same old story, reputation over form.

Pickford
Walker Stones Mings
Trippier Rice Chilwell
Mount
Sterling Kane Rashford

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Two weeks ago I'd have said Rashford shouldn't start. His form didn't warrant it amidst the competition for that place.

Having seen the friendlies leading in though I'd definitely start him. He brings pace, a goal threat and a ready made partnership with Shaw which could be a major asset for the team.

With the options available to us the key to our success here is balance. Grealish plays in front of the defence, and Foden will too for the most part because this team aren't able to play the way City do. I think with the midfield we have we need that pace that Rashford will offer.

Two weeks ago I'd have said Rashford shouldn't start. His form didn't warrant it amidst the competition for that place.

Having seen the friendlies leading in though I'd definitely start him. He brings pace, a goal threat and a ready made partnership with Shaw which could be a major asset for the team.

With the options available to us the key to our success here is balance. Grealish plays in front of the defence, and Foden will too for the most part because this team aren't able to play the way City do. I think with the midfield we have we need that pace that Rashford will offer.
Rashford is the only one who has real pace.

I think he will start. Grealish off of the bench could be a real weapon - and I think it’s out of him and foden who starts.

Kane + 3 of Rashford, Sterling, Grealish, Sancho and Foden is terrific depth and gives us some great options.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Rashford is the only one who has real pace.

I think he will start. Grealish off of the bench could be a real weapon - and I think it’s out of him and foden who starts.

Kane + 3 of Rashford, Sterling, Grealish, Sancho and Foden is terrific depth and gives us some great options.
Yeah our options are fantastic, but mean nothing if we don't find a balance and that's why I'd start Marcus. It has to be Grealish vs Mount for the 10 role, as hard as it is to justify not playing someone of Grealish's quality, because I think we'll see us struggling to get in behind defences otherwise.

jesperjaap

Witout even looking, bar Euro 96 it has been dreadful. I think tomorrows game could really shape how we do in the tournament.

When you look at our last world cup squad and compare this squad, apart from central defensie worries it is chalk and cheese. Far better full backs and wide players and of course the main thing we lacked then, creative midfield options.

That side got to the semi finals, performing well but mainly due to a really favourable draw. That is what concerns me. This side could of couse have France/Germany or Portugal in the start of the knockout stages. Even though there is home advantage and I think our squad is talented. We do lack currently what we had in the Italia 90 and Euro 96 squad, established international stars. Shilton, Robson (til injured), Waddle, Lineker, SHearer, Ince, Gascoigne, Sheringham to name a few were all experienced international stars.....despite the talent, only Kane really comes in to that category. I do fear the lack of experience if we get one of those big sides along with many of our yougnsters still developing really could count against us, added to the fact even with Maguire comign back, our centre backs and keeper consistency wise as well as ability arent the best....without Maguire the back up options look really weak too... I like ou rsquad though and think it will be a great learnign experience and with a bit of luck we can go a long way, I jus think this side is a year or two and a player or two coming through especially at the back from quite being there

jesperjaap

Pickford
James Stones Mings Shaw
Rice - Bellingham
Sancho Foden Grealish
Kane

Not disagreeing with your line up exactly, but Mount is guaranteed to start in my opinion. Think in place of Sancho who hasnt yet done it for England, but in the position you have Foden in. Who he does play on the wings is introguing though, cant really make a bad choice as they are all good. My fear though is Grealish on the bench and Rashford starting, as for me, bar Kane he should be the next name on the sheet in the attcking positions

jesperjaap

Yeah our options are fantastic, but mean nothing if we don't find a balance and that's why I'd start Marcus. It has to be Grealish vs Mount for the 10 role, as hard as it is to justify not playing someone of Grealish's quality, because I think we'll see us struggling to get in behind defences otherwise.
Personally would have it the other way round. Pace of the likes of Sterling and Rashford to come off of the bench. If teams are well organised and getting behind the ball, the dribblign and vision of Grealish cause far more problems than the pace of Rashford with no space to run behind in to. I think Foden and Grealish give us better shape offernsively and defensively on the wings. I guess its really dependant on how the opposition set up though isnt it

Witout even looking, bar Euro 96 it has been dreadful. I think tomorrows game could really shape how we do in the tournament.

When you look at our last world cup squad and compare this squad, apart from central defensie worries it is chalk and cheese. Far better full backs and wide players and of course the main thing we lacked then, creative midfield options.

That side got to the semi finals, performing well but mainly due to a really favourable draw. That is what concerns me. This side could of couse have France/Germany or Portugal in the start of the knockout stages. Even though there is home advantage and I think our squad is talented. We do lack currently what we had in the Italia 90 and Euro 96 squad, established international stars. Shilton, Robson (til injured), Waddle, Lineker, SHearer, Ince, Gascoigne, Sheringham to name a few were all experienced international stars.....despite the talent, only Kane really comes in to that category. I do fear the lack of experience if we get one of those big sides along with many of our yougnsters still developing really could count against us, added to the fact even with Maguire comign back, our centre backs and keeper consistency wise as well as ability arent the best....without Maguire the back up options look really weak too... I like ou rsquad though and think it will be a great learnign experience and with a bit of luck we can go a long way, I jus think this side is a year or two and a player or two coming through especially at the back from quite being there
I get you - but perhaps the enthusiasm of youth will take us places that the experienced boys couldn’t. It’s completely flipped - we used to have a great core GK, CB, Midfield. Now that’s very average, but we have great fullbacks, wide players and attackers.

given England’s inexperience it makes us unpredictable.

jesperjaap

I get you - but perhaps the enthusiasm of youth will take us places that the experienced boys couldn’t. It’s completely flipped - we used to have a great core GK, CB, Midfield. Now that’s very average, but we have great fullbacks, wide players and attackers.

given England’s inexperience it makes us unpredictable.
Yes I agree wth that opinion, was goign to write the boldness of youth could work in the opposite way. Its just even with some of the yougner players, such as Mbappe there is so much experience of international level in comparison to our side. France and Portugal after all, have several players who have already won world cups or the Euros.

I actually think our midfield is very good, though dependant on the first choice players keeping fit and not getting booking and suspensions as what behind them isnt very good at this level. It just the mistakes in the keeper we have seen at club level tough not yet for England and all of our centre backs have a mistake in them.

I am genuionely excited thoughh that we could do very well if we perform, which I havent felt with England for a very long time

Canucantona20

Not disagreeing with your line up exactly, but Mount is guaranteed to start in my opinion. Think in place of Sancho who hasnt yet done it for England, but in the position you have Foden in. Who he does play on the wings is introguing though, cant really make a bad choice as they are all good. My fear though is Grealish on the bench and Rashford starting, as for me, bar Kane he should be the next name on the sheet in the attcking positions
Yea mount is definitely starting. The lineup I posted is who I would start and I agree with what you said. I don’t think Rashford should start and should come off the bench. Foden and Grealish will be interchanging but I would like to see them play together, both natural talents on the ball.

The question is who starts next to Rice. If he starts Henderson or Phillips I see England struggling. Bellingham or Mount should be the option.

jesperjaap

Yea mount is definitely starting. The lineup I posted is who I would start and I agree with what you said. I don’t think Rashford should start and should come off the bench. Foden and Grealish will be interchanging but I would like to see them play together, both natural talents on the ball.

The question is who starts next to Rice. If he starts Henderson or Phillips I see England struggling. Bellingham or Mount should be the option.
I think if fully fit, it should be Henderson at first, but he probably isnt. I personally think Phillips, though a good player is not maybe good enough at the top level. I think a lot of fans, myself included would probably like to see Bellingham in there, despite his age, the natural ability and size of him could be a stand out star of the tournament and moving to Dortmund shows he probably is unfazed

redshaw

We have a good squad but it's a bit of a mess with injuries, players like Sterling who were on fire a year or two ago not on it and top players like Grealish and Sancho not really integrated. Grealish is perhaps the one stand out player that can overcome the issues and steer the team. Seems like 2020 or 2022 would've been optimal for us so we'll have to find our way through in the deep end.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Pickford
Walker - Stones - Mings - Chilwell
Rice - Phillips
Foden - Mount - Grealish
Kane

Dan_F

The Athletic are reporting four at the back with Trippier at left back :lol:

Phillips in midfield with Sterling starting and Grealish on the bench.

Edit. Looks like we all just browsed social media at the same time.

Remember the geese

In what world is Trippier a superior left back to Shaw, or even Chilwell? Tyrone Mings starting for England in an international tournament? It's coming home...

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Scooby Doo’s got more of a clue than this cnut

Zoo

Trippier is in for his set play delivery. Southgate has developed nothing in 3 years. What a waste.

Deery

Dreary
I take it he’s chosen Trippier for set pieces and left Grealish out because he’s not yet fully fit.

izec

Trippier is in for his set play delivery. Southgate has developed nothing in 3 years. What a waste.
If that was the case, England would have been better off with Shaw at LB and JWP in midfield, than Trippier at LB.

izec

I take it he’s chosen Trippier for set pieces and left Grealish out because he’s not yet fully fit.
He left Grealish out, because he prefers Sterling/Rashford IMO, always did. I would be shocked to see Grealish starting more than one game.