England in India 2021

AshRK

Really enjoyed listening to Dinesh Karthik on Sky Sports. Fantastic insight about the dressing room, players mindsets and how they deal with fame, and criticism. He's also contracted by Sky for the summer series.
Brilliant to listen. After ages I am enjoying an Indian analyst.

JohnnyKills

England will start favorites but India will give much better fight irrespective of the pitch than what england did when touring India.
Let's not forget England hammered India in the first test and forced them to prepare spin-friendly wickets

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Indian fans in here - do you see yourselves as favourites for the test series in England this summer?

Personally I expect England to win with the Jimmy, Broad, Woakes, Archer as the pace line up. But I could definetly understand Indian supporters feeling very bullish after this last year.
Unlike past decades India now possesses quality seamers which will test England. I don't rate a number of test players presently in the England team. The tour very much depends on the Indian batsmen handling swing, seam and bounce. The type of summer will also have a bearing on the outcome. Besides a number of players having toured previously India's youngsters don't have experience in such conditions and will be tested. It will be a great learning curve for the young players whatever the outcome.

England will be favourites, obviously with home advantage in the test series. One day series pretty evenly matched. 20/20 is a lottery so hard to predict.

JohnnyKills

Not in the slightest. England have thumped us in 2011, 2014, and 2018. England are overwhelmingly favourites for the upcoming series. That said, I expect a huge fight from us. We're no longer afraid of foreign conditions as we were in the past.
It should be close but I guess it depends on the wickets. I hope England don't just prepare green seamers - that doesn't do anyone any good in the long run really.

Will be interesting to see how Pant plays the swinging ball.

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
Pant is a ridiculous talent. I hope the management are done tinkering with him and put his name on the team sheet third to Kohli and Bumrah. He’s the kind of player who won’t have massive numbers in terms of hundreds but will win so many matches for the team.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Indian fans in here - do you see yourselves as favourites for the test series in England this summer?

Personally I expect England to win with the Jimmy, Broad, Woakes, Archer as the pace line up. But I could definetly understand Indian supporters feeling very bullish after this last year.
Nah. England will prepare green carpets as per usual and we'll struggle i reckon. If we have Bumrah, Ishant and Shami fully fit then maybe we have a chance but still we need our batsman to have a cracker.

Expect England to win the series.

Skills

Snitch
It should be close but I guess it depends on the wickets. I hope England don't just prepare green seamers - that doesn't do anyone any good in the long run really.

Will be interesting to see how Pant plays the swinging ball.
Problem for India is going to be that Kohli last time was in incredible form and they still lost 3-1. He scored 593 runs last time and I don't think he's the same player anymore

Neither Rohit nor Gill would've played a test in England (not 100% on Rohit) and Pujara has never looked comfortable on seaming/swinging wickets - lets be honest, he never looks comfortable on flat decks. Rahane is super inconsistent too.

KM

Problem for India is going to be that Kohli last time was in incredible form and they still lost 3-1. He scored 593 runs last time and I don't think he's the same player anymore

Neither Rohit nor Gill would've played a test in England (not 100% on Rohit) and Pujara has never looked comfortable on seaming/swinging wickets - lets be honest, he never looks comfortable on flat decks. Rahane is super inconsistent too.
This.

We were unlucky with the toss too on that trip maybe if we are bit lucky than we've a chance.

JohnnyKills

Can see Rohit struggling but Gill having a good series. He appears to have the technique to cope.

KM

Btw livingstone looks a player, liked his intent.

AshRK

Let's not forget England hammered India in the first test and forced them to prepare spin-friendly wickets
Well to be fair apart from the pink ball pitch all other test were played on a decent pitch, just that England were poor. Also, had India won the toss in the first test and axar was not injured the result could have been different for that match too. It was just a poor show by England in the test.

mav_9me

Question for everyone.

I thought Siraj was not playing cuz he was injured but then saw him on the bench with the others?

Is he not better than Natarajan and Prasidh?

SinNombre

Oh come on.

What happened was a pitch where winning the toss was all that was necessary to win the match.

The pitches in the matches after took out the toss from the equation.

I hope the pitches in England are not like the last series where winning the toss was super critical.

Given Kohli’s record with tosses, that will be a disaster.

JohnnyKills

Oh come on.

What happened was a pitch where winning the toss was all that was necessary to win the match.

The pitches in the matches after took out the toss from the equation.
I agree. India took all other factors out of the equation by preparing pitches to suit them.

Not complaining - India were within their rights - but let's not pretend there's a vast gap between the two sides or that India somehow humiliated England.

Like I say, I hope England don't follow suit in the test series in the summer.

Last edited:

JohnnyKills

Well to be fair apart from the pink ball pitch all other test were played on a decent pitch, just that England were poor. Also, had India won the toss in the first test and axar was not injured the result could have been different for that match too. It was just a poor show by England in the test.
England could say the same about the toss in the second test and the injury to Archer. Also there's no way the second test was played on a good pitch, that's just not correct.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Nah. England will prepare green carpets as per usual and we'll struggle i reckon. If we have Bumrah, Ishant and Shami fully fit then maybe we have a chance but still we need our batsman to have a cracker.

Expect England to win the series.
Don’t you think with Ashwin and Jadeja fit( fingers crossed ) that the series will be a lot more open. We also have Bumrah who we didn’t have last time

gajender

Don’t you think with Ashwin and Jadeja fit( fingers crossed ) that the series will be a lot more open. We also have Bumrah who we didn’t have last time
We have enough fire power to actually hurt England this time around it should be a great series English would be wary of preparing Green top if Pant fires even if our top order collapses he could take the game away quickly against any opposition. Expecting a closely fought test series and Indian win.

JohnnyKills

Not sure they'll play both spinners, not in every match anyway. Would imagine it'll be something like Bumrah, Siraj, Kumar/Ishant, Ashwin and Pandya. Good bowling line-up that.

Tottenhamguy

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Nasser's analysis on 'umpires call' prompted by the recent comments from Kohli and Warne.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Not sure they'll play both spinners, not in every match anyway. Would imagine it'll be something like Bumrah, Siraj, Kumar/Ishant, Ashwin and Pandya. Good bowling line-up that.
Yeah I reckon we go with:

Gill, Sharma, Pujara, Kohli, Rahane, Pant, Pandya, Jadeja/Ashwin, Shami, Ishant, Bumrah

Siraj, Kumar, Thakur, Sundar, Yadav miss out. Trying to find a way to play Bhuvi though.

JohnnyKills

Gill, Sharma, Pujara, Kohli, Rahane, Pant, Pandya, Jadeja/Ashwin, Shami, Ishant, Bumrah

Siraj, Kumar, Thakur, Sundar, Yadav miss out. Trying to find a way to play Bhuvi though.
It's a strong side if you can leave out Siraj and Kumar. You could even argue that India have a better collection of seamers than England do right now.

Last edited:

JohnnyKills

That's really difficult to say.
It is. England's main seamers are both in their mid-to-late 30s but they also have Woakes, who's a quality backup. And they probably have the quicker attack overall with Archer, Wood and Stone. But there's not much to choose between the two bowling rosters.

Moby

Dick
It is. England's main seamers are both in their mid-to-late 30s but they also have Woakes, who's a quality backup. And they probably have the quicker attack overall with Archer, Wood and Stone. But there's not much to choose between the two bowling rosters.
Mate read the sentence that I quoted. :lol:

mav_9me

It's a strong side if you can leave out Siraj and Kumar. You could even argue that India have a better collection of seamers than India do right now.
Not possible. Haha.

So who are you saying is better than who? I assume India better than England with the bowling?

Skills

Snitch
Can see Rohit struggling but Gill having a good series. He appears to have the technique to cope.
Gill is a fantastic talent but he could probably do with a county summer in England. English conditions are rough on all first timers.

Shami struggled in England last time didn't he?

Di Maria's angel

Gill is a fantastic talent but he could probably do with a county summer in England. English conditions are rough on all first timers.

Shami struggled in England last time didn't he?
16 wickets @ 38 were his stats. Not sure, is that struggling? Think its OK.

Di Maria's angel

It's not bad but it's not amazing either is it. If he produces those numbers this summer I'll be happy as an England fan.
It's very rare that all bowlers will have a great tour. Given the rest of our bowlers were very good, we were probably due one slacker.

JohnnyKills

It's very rare that all bowlers will have a great tour. Given the rest of our bowlers were very good, we were probably due one slacker.
The way Kumar bowled yesterday I've have him in to open the bowling with JB. Then Siraj and Pandya as the backup seamers, rotating with Ishant and Shami as the tour goes on.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Not sure where else to post this, but I've just nabbed myself 2 tickets to day 2 of the Eng-NZ Edgbaston test this summer. Absolutely buzzing, although still can't believe I was able to do it/that it's as certain I'll be able to go due to Covid restrictions.

Anyone with more experience got any info on this? Thanks!

Di Maria's angel

Not sure where else to post this, but I've just nabbed myself 2 tickets to day 2 of the Eng-NZ Edgbaston test this summer. Absolutely buzzing, although still can't believe I was able to do it/that it's as certain I'll be able to go due to Covid restrictions.

Anyone with more experience got any info on this? Thanks!
Nice! I want to get tickets for the India series but not sure I want to risk it. And like you say, its likely that they'll be played behind closed doors or maybe a restricted crowd?

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Nice! I want to get tickets for the India series but not sure I want to risk it. And like you say, its likely that they'll be played behind closed doors or maybe a restricted crowd?
This is what I'm confused by! Everything seems to have come through as normal (ordered an e-ticket), but I'm not sure how reliable it all is.

I know they're wanting to have at least 10,000 people there, but I don't know if there'll turn around and say my tickets aren't a part of the number, etc.

slyadams

Nasser's analysis on 'umpires call' prompted by the recent comments from Kohli and Warne.

This is an interesting piece but unfortunately its wrong. If the technology has random error in it, its just as likely to say a ball is missing that would have clipped than vice versa. It should cancel out.

Having said that, I'm still OK with umpire's call.