England in India 2021

TheGame

Thought it would be useful to set up one thread for the discussion for this tour as currently there is a separate English cricket thread and another cricket thread.

Tests
February 05-09: 1st Test at M.A. Chidambaram Stadium, Chennai
February 13-17: 2nd Test at M.A. Chidambaram Stadium, Chennai
February 24-28: 3rd Test at Sardar Patel Stadium, Ahmedabad (D/N)
March 04-08: 4th Test at Sardar Patel Stadium, Ahmedabad

T20Is
March 12: 1st T20I at Motera Stadium, Ahmedabad (D/N)
March 14: 2nd T20I at Motera Stadium, Ahmedabad (D/N)
March 16: 3rd T20I at Motera Stadium, Ahmedabad (D/N)
March 18: 4th T20I at Motera Stadium, Ahmedabad (D/N)
March 20: 5th T20I at Motera Stadium, Ahmedabad (D/N)

ODIs
March 23: 1st ODI at Maharashtra Cricket Association Stadium, Pune
March 26: 2nd ODI at Maharashtra Cricket Association Stadium, Pune
March 28: 3rd ODI at Maharashtra Cricket Association Stadium, Pune

Full Squads for Test Matches

India (first two Tests):

Virat Kohli (C), Ajinkya Rahane (VC), Rohit Sharma, Mayank Agarwal, Shubman Gill, Cheteshwar Pujara, KL Rahul, Hardik Pandya, Rishabh Pant (WK), Wriddhiman Saha (WK), Ravichandran Ashwin, Kuldeep Yadav, Axar Patel, Washington Sundar, Ishant Sharma, Jasprit Bumrah, Md. Siraj, Shardul Thakur.

England squad (first two Tests):

Joe Root (captain), Moeen Ali, Dom Bess, Stuart Broad, Rory Burns, Jos Buttler, Zak Crawley, Ben Foakes, Dan Lawrence, Jack Leach, Ben Stokes, Olly Stone, Dom Sibley, Chris Woakes, Jofra Archer, James Anderson. Olly Pope to travel and be included when fit.

Reserves:

James Bracey, Mason Crane, Saqib Mahmood, Matthew Parkinson, Ollie Robinson, Amar Virdi.

Think I've got the details right, shout if wrong.

zing

Zingle balls
Useful OP thanks. Amazing that by the time this tour ends, IPL would’ve started again.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Absolutely buzzed for this and can’t wait to see a few classic England collapses :lol:

Cloud7

I predict another Karun Nair situation. One of the most unexpected players is going to make an absolutely massive score against England.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
That’s a long tour!

I’m assuming no fans will be allowed in the stadiums due to Covid?!

zing

Zingle balls
That’s a long tour!

I’m assuming no fans will be allowed in the stadiums due to Covid?!
The two Chennai tests will not have fans. They haven’t announced what the situation is at the other venues.

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
No Jadeja is massive. He’s key to balance of the side, especially in home conditions. A massive threat with ball later on in the innings and has been all over England their last few tours. Still expect India to win the series but England might put up a better fight this time.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Not on TV in England!

Absolutely gutted.
Seriously?! I thought Sky had the rights so was looking forward to some justification for keeping “Sky Sports Cricket” between this series & the Pakistan-SA series.

Surely someone will get the rights to it before it starts!

NinjaFletch

Not on TV in England!

Absolutely gutted.
It will 100% be shown, it's far too valuable a tour not to. The hold up is, apparently, because Disney have the rights and are considering whether they're better off streaming on Disney+ or flogging to BT/Sky like normal.

TheGame

It will 100% be shown, it's far too valuable a tour not to. The hold up is, apparently, because Disney have the rights and are considering whether they're better off streaming on Disney+ or flogging to BT/Sky like normal.
Since I haven't got Sky Sports anymore, hope they give it to BT/Disney but the Sky coverage is the best in England.

Skills

Snitch
Wtf :lol:

zing

Zingle balls
Silverwood says Pope and Moeen could be back. Good news. Moeen was always going to play I suppose. Archer, Burns, Stokes with those 2 is all major upgrades.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Silverwood says Pope and Moeen could be back. Good news. Moeen was always going to play I suppose. Archer, Burns, Stokes with those 2 is all major upgrades.
On paper but it's a massive ask for them to come straight back into test cricket and hit the ground running. Basically changing half the team between Sri Lanka and India does not seem ideal to me. Although it does feel like they are intentionally building a big squad of players to account for the stresses of bubble cricket for the foreseeable future.

Djemba-Djemba

Might not see England play their absolute strongest 11 in any test all year.

I think they'll be constantly chopping and changing, it's a real shame but what else can they do? It's just how things have to be in this pandemic world.

paulscholes18

My pessimistic guess is Mo will come in for Crawley and bat 3.

Haddock

The two Chennai tests will not have fans. They haven’t announced what the situation is at the other venues.
It's such a shame. Chennai doesn't see too many tests these days and two come along and no one can go. Last time I was there I watched a vintage England collapse post-lunch.

zing

Zingle balls
It's such a shame. Chennai doesn't see too many tests these days and two come along and no one can go. Last time I was there I watched a vintage England collapse post-lunch.
I was there for the first four days and did not go on day five due to work..

Wasn’t a great test - feels like it never is in Chennai in the recent past. Hasn’t been a bowling friendly pitch.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Picks for top scorer and highest wicket taker

England.
Top scorer: Root
Highest wicket taker: Archer(don't know about his match fitness though)

India
Top scorer : Gill
Highest wicket taker: Ashwin

KM

My team for first test would be:

Gill
Rohit
Pujara
Kohli
Rahane
Pant
Pandya
Ashwin
Kuldeep
Ishant
Bumrah

NM

Gill
Rohit
Pujara
Kohli
Rahane
Pant
Pandya
Ashwin
Kuldeep
Ishant
Bumrah
Agree with the team with the only possible chane Saini for IShant if he isn't fully fit. Can Pandya bowl? If not, I'd want a spinning all rounder there.

Most runs
Ind: Pujara
Eng: Root

Wickets:
Ind: Ashwin
Eng: Anderson

KM

Agree with the team with the only possible chane Saini for IShant if he isn't fully fit. Can Pandya bowl? If not, I'd want a spinning all rounder there.

Most runs
Ind: Pujara
Eng: Root

Wickets:
Ind: Ashwin
Eng: Anderson
Saini? Surely you mean Siraj?

Yeah I'm guessing they might play with Sundar instead of Pandya and play three pacers. Let's see.

zing

Zingle balls

Gill
Rohit
Pujara
Kohli
Rahane
Pant
Pandya
Ashwin
Kuldeep
Ishant
Bumrah
Would not be surprised to see Axar for Pandya. But I think your team is probably better. 5th bowler doesn't need to take wickets at home, just need to take the load off the other 4, and Pandya has way more runs in him than Axar. Sundar wont play I think -- that'll make it 3 spinners who spin it into the right hander.

I personally wouldn't play Bumrah much(if at all) at home -- I think we have adequate replacements for him in home conditions and his workload is pretty high.

Mani

Looks like they would allow visitors from second test match.

NM

Saini? Surely you mean Siraj?

Yeah I'm guessing they might play with Sundar instead of Pandya and play three pacers. Let's see.
Yeah I meant Siraj of course.
The replacement order shoulld be Siraj -> Thakur -> Saini -> Natarajan

KM

Would not be surprised to see Axar for Pandya. But I think your team is probably better. 5th bowler doesn't need to take wickets at home, just need to take the load off the other 4, and Pandya has way more runs in him than Axar. Sundar wont play I think -- that'll make it 3 spinners who spin it into the right hander.

I personally wouldn't play Bumrah much(if at all) at home -- I think we have adequate replacements for him in home conditions and his workload is pretty high.
Just want to see a Pandya-Pant partnership.

iKnowNothing

Has Pandya played in tests in India? I don’t think he will bowl, so I’m not sure if he’s a good fit there. I’d play Washington Sundar there instead.
I’m also not sure about Bumrah’s fitness. So why rush him back? Play Siraj instead.