England - Kane or Vardy?

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
A question for the Euros. Vardy has obviously retired from the national team but a player like him simply cannot be left out if we strive for success, especially in the big games the tournament has to offer. We must do our all to convince him to come to the Euros and that may mean promising him to be the main man.

Kane however is the captain, he's consistently been one of the top scorers of the league, he has attributes that Vardy doesn't really have in terms of the type of threat he is (but likewise can be said for Vardy) he's pretty much the poster boy of the national team and fits in with the long term visions of the national team at least for the next 3 or 4 major tournaments bar any serious injury. He's arguably more versatile in the style of play that we can play compared to getting the best out of Vardy.

But surely when thinking about a tournament we have to think about now and we cannot ignore the big game impact of Vardy, the consistency of him and the fact that Vardy is the current top goalscorer of the premier league by a huge margin. So far this season, Vardy has 17 league goals and 3 assists in comparison to Kane's 9 goals and 2 assists. There is also a frightening prospect of Rashford/Sancho, Sterling and Vardy counterattacking against teams as well.

A lot of attention should also go to Tammy Abraham and Danny Ings who to their credit are also having fantastic seasons, I wonder if anyone thinks they deserve a shout of starting but they should certainly get in the debate to be squad members.

Where do you stand in this debate or is this not even a debate for you?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Vardy retired

Edit - apologies you addressed this in the OP.

Still kane for me

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Kane considering vardy retired :lol:

saying that though in this form I hope he reconsiders for this tournament. It’s a big drop in quality to Abraham/Wilson after kane

Bwuk

Kane because he can drop off and play in the wide forwards. That’s a big part of how England play.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
A question for the Euros. Vardy has obviously retired from the national team but a player like him simply cannot be left out if we strive for success, especially in the big games the tournament has to offer. We must do our all to convince him to come to the Euros and that may mean promising him to be the main man.

Kane however is the captain, he's consistently been one of the top scorers of the league, he has attributes that Vardy doesn't really have in terms of the type of threat he is (but likewise can be said for Vardy) he's pretty much the poster boy of the national team and fits in with the long term visions of the national team at least for the next 3 or 4 major tournaments bar any serious injury. He's arguably more versatile in the style of play that we can play compared to getting the best out of Vardy.

But surely when thinking about a tournament we have to think about now and we cannot ignore the big game impact of Vardy, the consistency of him and the fact that Vardy is the current top goalscorer of the premier league by a huge margin. So far this season, Vardy has 17 league goals and 3 assists in comparison to Kane's 9 goals and 2 assists. There is also a frightening prospect of Rashford/Sancho, Sterling and Vardy counterattacking against teams as well.

A lot of attention should also go to Tammy Abraham and Danny Ings who to their credit are also having fantastic seasons, I wonder if anyone thinks they deserve a shout of starting but they should certainly get in the debate to be squad members.

Where do you stand in this debate or is this not even a debate for you?
In all competitions so far this season Kane has scored 15 goals in 19 games (including 6 in the CL), whereas Vardy has scored 17 goals in 19 games. So Vardy has scored 2 more goals in the same number of games …. not much difference.

For England Vardy has scored 7 goals in 26 appearances, but Kane has 32 goals in 45 appearances.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
In all competitions so far this season Kane has scored 15 goals in 19 games (including 6 in the CL), whereas Vardy has scored 17 goals in 19 games. So Vardy has scored 2 more goals in the same number of games …. not much difference.

For England Vardy has scored 7 goals in 26 appearances, but Kane has 32 goals in 45 appearances.
Has Vardy started in all those 26 apps?

Sorry but this is still a debate for me and Kane scoring braces against Red Star and Olympiakos doesn't change that. I'd prefer to compare their league input because both of them play in those games in an equal metric and Kane is 8 goals behind.

EDIT: Just checked. Vardy has played 90 minutes just 6 times out of the 26 apps. Quite a large portion of these games are where he was played on the LW by managers to accommodate Kane.

Last edited:

Skills

Snitch
Kane should start, but Vardy would be an invaluable option off the bench.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Has Vardy started in all those 26 apps?

Sorry but this is still a debate for me and Kane scoring braces against Red Star and Olympiakos doesn't change that. I'd prefer to compare their league input because both of them play in those games in an equal metric and Kane is 8 goals behind.

EDIT: Just checked. Vardy has played 90 minutes just 6 times out of the 26 apps. Quite a large portion of these games are where he was played on the LW by managers to accommodate Kane.
And rightly so at the time.

Kane is the better player. Even if Vardy is having an exceptional season so far, over the past 5 years it's not close.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Vardy needs to be in the Euro 2020 squad at least. But he probably doesn't fit Southgate's system and I wouldn't blame Gareth for not picking him.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Vardy needs to be in the Euro 2020 squad at least. But he probably doesn't fit Southgate's system and I wouldn't blame Gareth for not picking him.
Me neither considering he’s retired!

Supports
England
And rightly so at the time.

Kane is the better player. Even if Vardy is having an exceptional season so far, over the past 5 years it's not close.
This.

Remember the last international break when "should Abraham start over Kane?" was a real thing? It started days before Kane went on a mad one and tonked both of our opponents to finish the campaign with 12 goals and 5 assists in just 8 games, becoming the first player ever to score in every match of a Euro qualifying campaign.

Together, the Vardy and Abraham questions paint a perfect picture: the epitome of the reactionary knee-jerking that has been infesting football discourse to an increasingly alarming extent for many years. Recency bias is ruining the sport for me: or, at the very least, the social element of it.

manc4red

I like vardy over kane. Vardy is just so fast and quick. He is also extremely intelligent.

would still very much walk into our starting xi. I think he will play off alot of our younger players very well

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Kane’s all-round game is invaluable for England. As penetrating as the wide forwards are, they can look a little rudderless without the exceptional creativity they enjoy at club level. And if England has a weakness going forward it is a lack of midfield creativity. As a result taking out Kane for Vardy may compound that issue.

All of that said, you’d want him as an option in behind, especially against better teams.

Classical Mechanic

Its worth noting that Vardy is only part retired. He said that he’d play for England again ‘if they need me’. We don’t need him as such but the door is open a little.

buckooo1978

in a game against a superior country like France I'd have Vardy in there 100%

Feel his aggression and big game mentality is more effective than Kane

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
If Kane gets injured or a long term suspension then Gareth should pick up a six pack of WKD Blue and make a trip to see Rebecca and Jamie.

Vardy only retired because he was not first choice and didn't want to keep travelling over europe just to play the odd 10 minutes here and there.

kiristao

For me Kane is hands down better than Vardy. Kane is better at hold up play, bringing other play in, shooting from a distance and also of some magic. Vardy is only faster. At the Euros, Kane will definitely be much more useful that Vardy.

romufc

Kane. It is pretty simple tbf.

Kane's passing is one of the most underrated skills of his.

He can play Vs Low block teams and counter attack.

Low block, we know in the box he is brilliant.

Counter attack, he can play false 9, and release the inverted wingers be it Sterling, Sancho, Rashford.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Kane. It is pretty simple tbf.

Kane's passing is one of the most underrated skills of his.

He can play Vs Low block teams and counter attack.

Low block, we know in the box he is brilliant.

Counter attack, he can play false 9, and release the inverted wingers be it Sterling, Sancho, Rashford.
This, Kane has a lot more in his kit. His back to goal play is second to none, he can bring players in around him and look to slip them passes. He can finish either foot with good accuracy. Not like you can feel safe showing him either way as a defender. Not easy to knock off the ball in one of those physical style games. And if you are not physical enough he can easily bulldoze past a defender or push some space for a shot. good eye for a pass when he drops deep, good in the air, presses hard from the front and seems like he has a good engine. Just dodgey ankles.

Actually hard to pick a part of Kane's game that you can say is poor. Sure he isnt going to blaze past players with blistering pace or go on a mazy dribble. But his goal return is intimidating, it is up there with the best to have ever graced the game. Which says a lot about how good this guy really is.

romufc

This, Kane has a lot more in his kit. His back to goal play is second to none, he can bring players in around him and look to slip them passes. He can finish either foot with good accuracy. Not like you can feel safe showing him either way as a defender. Not easy to knock off the ball in one of those physical style games. And if you are not physical enough he can easily bulldoze past a defender or push some space for a shot. good eye for a pass when he drops deep, good in the air, presses hard from the front and seems like he has a good engine. Just dodgey ankles.

Actually hard to pick a part of Kane's game that you can say is poor. Sure he isnt going to blaze past players with blistering pace or go on a mazy dribble. But his goal return is intimidating, it is up there with the best to have ever graced the game. Which says a lot about how good this guy really is.
To appreciate him, you need to watch the games not just highlights, his hold up play as well is probably up there with the best. That is why I think he is one of the top 5 strikers in the world.

Pace is the only thing he lacks, but when you have players like Sterling, Rashford, Sancho on the wings, Kane is the perfect foil for them.

arthurka

Would Southgate be ready to try to get Vardy back for England if Rashford and Kane won´t be fully fit?

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Would Southgate be ready to try to get Vardy back for England if Rashford and Kane won´t be fully fit?
I used to think Vardy would come back for the Euros but I now don’t think so, I think he felt under appreciated for England and Southgate picking Sterling as a striker over him at the World Cup would have been a big part of that

Tarrou

with Kane and Rashford both doubts, surely Vardy has to come back at this point?

Imagine if England played the Euros with none of them

Luke1995

Neither. Time for Rashford to shine! Show them that Mbappe level!

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I’d hope not. Vardy has 1 goal in his last 11 games currently...

We’d probably be better calling up Calvert Lewin.

Nogbadthebad

I don't think kane has been fully fit for the last 18 months, and that isn't changing any time soon.

So currently, I'd say vardy.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Vardy looked fit for the first time since roughly November when he came on against Villa, still don’t think he’ll make himself available though if he’s going to Southgate will probably need to make contact first