England - Nations League - Iceland 05.09 - Denmark 08.09 - Squad announced

saintquin

Supports
Southampton, Harlequins
Grealish is far from being a tempo dictating midfielder. I don’t think I’ve ever seen him control a game at PL level. He impacts games but never controls it.
This is the only post about Grealish that I've 100% agrred with!

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Saka (Arsenal) and Bellingham (Dortmund) are the standouts, very good players.
CHO, Arrons, Saka, Sessegnon are all really good players. Bellingham, should be given a chance in the seniors considering how poor the central midfield area is for quality players.

CHO and Saka can’t get in the England squad because unfortunately they have Rashford, Sancho, Sterling, Greenwood all better than them which is nothing to discredit them for because not many nations have under 21 players that would get in ahead of them.

Arrons has TAA, Walker and AWB all better, same as above unfortunately for him.

Sessegnon again, Shaw and Chilwell are both better, Rose is more experienced and arguably Brandon Williams is also better. Also for some stupid reason, Southgate doesn’t think he needs natural left backs.

Edit: I think I may have replied to the wrong post, but it’s typed now so never mind :lol:

Last edited:

Bondi77

I’m not qualified enough to tell the difference. I imagine that Chinese people and Japanese people are though, and would gladly point it out for you if you are interested. I do think Chinese people look a lot different to English people though, and will say that with a lot more confidence.

What is the purpose of your question? To imply that the physical differences between Nigerian and English people are too subtle to discern or something?
The purpose of my question is that I would not be able to tell the physical difference between a Nigerian and an English man whose grandparents came from Barbados but I am not qualified to do so.
I think most people classify their nationality on where they were born and that is if they are Asian or of colour or white.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
I know it's a cliche but if Grealish was playing for a bigger club he would be in the squad.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The purpose of my question is that I would not be able to tell the physical difference between a Nigerian and an English man whose grandparents came from Barbados but I am not qualified to do so.
I think most people classify their nationality on where they were born and that is if they are Asian or of colour or white.
I wasn’t aware that ‘most people’ did that at all, but hey. In fact, in my 30+ years in London, I’ve never met an Asian (or for the purpose of this conversation, ‘Asian looking’) person who has identified themselves as ‘English’. Same for Somali, Turkish and other backgrounds I regularly come into contact with.

And basically, you are saying you can’t tell the physical difference between a Nigerian and a Bajan. I’m sure you can easily tell the physical difference between a Nigerian and an Englishman whose roots are set in Cornwall.

And for the record, I have, personally, a number of friends who were born in Nigeria and came to England before they can even remember. Some have never been back to Nigeria since. By your definition, where are they from? They are all adults now. My ex, who is also ‘Nigerian’ by my definition, was raised in England since a toddler, but was born in Italy. Where is she from?

Bondi77

I wasn’t aware that ‘most people’ did that at all, but hey. In fact, in my 30+ years in London, I’ve never met an Asian (or for the purpose of this conversation, ‘Asian looking’) person who has identified themselves as ‘English’. Same for Somali, Turkish and other backgrounds I regularly come into contact with.

And basically, you are saying you can’t tell the physical difference between a Nigerian and a Bajan. I’m sure you can easily tell the physical difference between a Nigerian and an Englishman whose roots are set in Cornwall.

And for the record, I have, personally, a number of friends who were born in Nigeria and came to England before they can even remember. Some have never been back to Nigeria since. By your definition, where are they from? They are all adults now. My ex, who is also ‘Nigerian’ by my definition, was raised in England since a toddler, but was born in Italy. Where is she from?
Where do they think they are from?
All you are saying is the difference between someone based on colour.
I live in Australia and there are plenty of Asians whom identify themselves as Australian and I grew up in England with a lot of kids of colour who classified themselves as English.
I can only say that we have had different life experiences.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Where do they think they are from?
All you are saying is the difference between someone based on colour.
I live in Australia and there are plenty of Asians whom identify themselves as Australian and I grew up in England with a lot of kids of colour who classified themselves as English.
I can only say that we have had different life experiences.
Colour and bloodline. But yes, clearly we see things differently on this.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Can we moan about internationals in this thread?

What is the point of this, and why is no one else moaning when people generally moan about international football whenever these friendly games come up? Do UEFA and FIFA not understand that there is dangerous virus around that stopped the world just few months ago, and that they had to stop serious league and cup competitions because of this, and now they are letting pointless international friendlies go normally?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Can we moan about internationals in this thread?

What is the point of this, and why is no one else moaning when people generally moan about international football whenever these friendly games come up? Do UEFA and FIFA not understand that there is dangerous virus around that stopped the world just few months ago, and that they had to stop serious league and cup competitions because of this, and now they are letting pointless international friendlies go normally?
I've moaned about it a few times elsewhere. In this current climate the nations league is completely pointless imo and just adds more fixture congestion later down the line. Apparently they want to play the final tournament a week or so before euro 2021 starts. :houllier:

Could understand more if euro play offs and world cup qualifiers were being played but they've all been postponed again in the other continents until next month at the earliest.

Revan

Assumptionman
No AWB which people will complain about but shouldn’t really. He’s good but he’s never going to play RB when England have TAA.
People might complain but there are 3-5 better English RBs than him. I don't see him being called, let alone starting for England in the next few years.

Last edited:

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
I've moaned about it a few times elsewhere. In this current climate the nations league is completely pointless imo and just adds more fixture congestion later down the line. Apparently they want to play the final tournament a week or so before euro 2021 starts. :houllier:

Could understand more if euro play offs and world cup qualifiers were being played but they've all been postponed again in the other continents until next month at the earliest.
They can't just go 2 years without international fixtures and then have the Euros. Teams have to prepare and it's important to have some kind of continuity, we're already at like 9 months without international games so it's good that they're having this now.

The fixtures look great too

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
They can't just go 2 years without international fixtures and then have the Euros. Teams have to prepare and it's important to have some kind of continuity, we're already at like 9 months without international games so it's good that they're having this now.

The fixtures look great too
I only have an issue with the September games given the short breaks for players in europe and finishing leagues and it being the week before the season starts. Personally I'd have scrapped September break, then have the 3 games in October and November as planned (unless global covid events stop that) and also have an extended international break in March 2021 where teams play 4 games over two week period rather than the two scheduled.

Don't think I ever said no international football until the euros.

Classical Mechanic

Revised England squad

Goalkeepers: Dean Henderson, Jordan Pickford, Nick Pope

Defenders: Trent Alexander-Arnold, Conor Coady, Eric Dier, Joe Gomez, Michael Keane, Ainsley Maitland-Niles, Tyrone Mings, Kieran Trippier, Kyle Walker

Midfielders: Phil Foden, Mason Mount, Kalvin Phillips, Declan Rice, James Ward-Prowse, Jack Grealish

Forwards: Tammy Abraham, Mason Greenwood, Danny Ings, Harry Kane, Jadon Sancho, Raheem Sterling

Very inexperienced. Only 6 players with 11 or more caps. Rice is the senior man in Midfield!

Nickelodeon

Revised England squad

Goalkeepers: Dean Henderson, Jordan Pickford, Nick Pope

Defenders: Trent Alexander-Arnold, Conor Coady, Eric Dier, Joe Gomez, Michael Keane, Ainsley Maitland-Niles, Tyrone Mings, Kieran Trippier, Kyle Walker

Midfielders: Phil Foden, Mason Mount, Kalvin Phillips, Declan Rice, James Ward-Prowse, Jack Grealish

Forwards: Tammy Abraham, Mason Greenwood, Danny Ings, Harry Kane, Jadon Sancho, Raheem Sterling

Very inexperienced. Only 6 players with 11 or more caps. Rice is the senior man in Midfield!
He'll start with Kane but a front 3 of Sancho, Greenwood, Sterling looks much better on paper at least. And that's without Rashford.

I like Kane as a striker but he's not very mobile. Also, him saying fecking this or that in the Spurs documentary did make him look quite thick.