England pre Euro 2020

Pele's blue pil

Supports
Arsenal
We were bang average at the World Cup.

Half of Kane's goals were penalties, one was a fluke, two were tap ins. He was played out of position and failed to bring Sterling into play when it mattered.

We were outrun by a tired Croatian team.

The games we won in 90 minutes were: Tunisia, Panama, Sweden. The games we lost were Belgium (twice) and Croatia. It took penalties to get past Colombia.

It would be a surprise if we didn't qualify for the Euros, but I wouldn't count un us getting out past the Quarter Finals.
Its amazing how many people don't see this, I couldn't even get excited that we made it to the semi final as the football was really poor and it seemed obvious had we got to the final we would have lost to a much better side, as you point out we lost to every big side we faced, being good on set pieces was never going to be enough

I actually do think we finally have the talent to be a good side, I just don't think southgate is a good manager and fear he does already have his favourites

Yagami

Good post resistant
In regards to our midfield problem, another CM Southgate will hopefully be looking at integrating into the squad is Lewis Cook now that he's back from that unfortunate injury.

He captained the U20s to World Cup glory I believe, and, whenever I've seen him for Bournemouth, he's looked very promising. Hopefully he can become that tempo setting midfielder we lack if not Winks.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Players like Henderson seem to be good enough to win the Champions League. You don't need super amazing central midfielders if you have the right surroundings and tactics. Hard working, disciplined central midfielders can do wonders if you have pacy, creative wingers and forwards.
Every english midfielder is baby sitted by top european midfielders. Take them out and the level fall off a cliff.
Spurs : Dier,Winks, Dele Alli + France and Denmark // United: McTominay (for the sake of argument) + France and whoever Ole choose.
City is outsourcing the wole midfield unless you count Phil - better than Messi - Phoden // Chelsea Mount + Brazil and France
Arsenal don't even have an english midfielder, Willock is a good prospect // Liverpool have Henderson surrounded by Dutch and Brazil players.
Take out the english midfielder of any club and you'll find a very capable replacement from other countries. Reverse it and the english pool is very poor.

It still makes me laugh that everyone hated Wilshere who imo, was your best midfielder for a long time despite only being able to play 1 game a year. The first decent run he had, he got 2/3 MOTM in a row.

If you consider England is fighting it out with France, Spain, Portugal, Italy and Germany you have to be very concerned.
Granted, international football is a bit different than club football but you need talented players at the base of your system and in this area England is so far behind...
All the hardwork in the world won't be enough to win a trophy.

Tickle Lad

Supports
Leicester City
I thought Southgate was tactically pretty savvy at the World Cup. He took account of our midfielders being crap by just playing a reliable workhorse there (Henderson) and splitting the rest of the midfield’s duties between the defence and attack. He also seemed capable of giving the players instructions that they were able to understand and follow, so at least there was some cohesion to their play.

Now he seems to have abandoned all that, and returned to the fiction that our midfielders are good. The rest of the players know that they aren’t, hence the number of hopeful punts forward from the defence and keeper. Maybe he believes that if Klopp can do it with such a limited midfield, so can he.
In his defence the only two potentially odd decisions can be alleged to have been Keane over Gomez/Tomori/Mings, and then playing BOTH Rice and Henderson rather than just one alongside someone more progressive.

But if you think about it, what else could he have done? Gomez is out of form/out of Liverpool's 11, Tomori is a kid yet to make his debut, whilst Mings simply isn't good enough. Keane was the only reasonable option.

It then follows that his CM partnership had to be defensively minded in order to cover for his CB weakness. The opposite of "returning to fiction" about our players being better than they are.

bp19992

Well that’s your opinion, mine is than Henderson wouldn’t look any better than McTominay for us and wouldn’t improve us one bit, whilst Fabinho and Winjaldum would definitely improve us.
None of them would make a difference for us

Bulldog United

There was specultation before that TAA could play in midfield as England have a number of quality right backs. Might be worth trying.
It could work. He can tackle, he can pass, he's got pace and fairly good vision. I'd say he's better equipped than Henderson in all the key areas.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Its amazing how many people don't see this, I couldn't even get excited that we made it to the semi final as the football was really poor and it seemed obvious had we got to the final we would have lost to a much better side, as you point out we lost to every big side we faced, being good on set pieces was never going to be enough

I actually do think we finally have the talent to be a good side, I just don't think southgate is a good manager and fear he does already have his favourites

If this is genuinely true, I feel sorry for you.

Imagine not being able to enjoy your NT on its journey to a WC semi final. Especially when your country hasn’t had any success at the tournament in bloody ages.

I also think that whilst a lot of the concerns being expressed are somewhat true (our worries in midfield in particular) , they’re also massively knee jerk. We sailed through qualifying but had one shite result away from home where the team got complacent. What’s with all the major panic? A few players aren’t in top form and we missed some chances. It happens to every NT in qualifying. We beat Croatia and Spain in the Nations League so its not like we’re totally incapable of beating a decent team.

Maddison fit and in midfield will make a big difference, and hopefully Foden will break through by the time the tournament rolls around. We have a good team, one with weaknesses sure, but it’s solid. When we win 5-0 nobody bats an eyelid but one poor result and it’s the end of the universe.

Bobski

England are not good enough defensively to play an attack focused midfield. They need playmaking ability in that midfield group desperately but how do they play that front 3 plus Mount and Maddison in midfield? Balance would be horrendous and the quality is not there defensively to cope. Pickford always has a huge error in him, Maguire is classy but far from proven as a defensive difference maker while Stones/Keane/Tarkowski et al all have serious limitations.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
England are not good enough defensively to play an attack focused midfield. They need playmaking ability in that midfield group desperately but how do they play that front 3 plus Mount and Maddison in midfield? Balance would be horrendous and the quality is not there defensively to cope. Pickford always has a huge error in him, Maguire is classy but far from proven as a defensive difference maker while Stones/Keane/Tarkowski et al all have serious limitations.

It’s easy. You play Maddison and not Mount.

And Joe Gomez going forward should be Maguire’s partner. Dodgy start to the season but once he is fully back from his injury he’s the most natural partner.

Mcking

Keane is not good enough, and the Henderson-Rice axis is complete toss. I'd go with Winks and either, or even try TAA next to Henderson. Rashford performs so much better than Sancho who is anonymous most times. Walker should be back in the team too, and Chilwell should be ahead of Rose until Shaw gets his acts together.
Rotate between Maddison, Foden, Mount and Barkley to get the best option.
Pickford
Walker
Tomori
Maguire
Chilwell
Henderson
TAA or Winks
Barkley
Sterling
Kane
Rashford

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Should be easy for 9 of the 11 positions when all are fit:
Pickford
TAA - Gomez - Maguire - Chilwell
Henderson
??? - Maddison
Sterling - Kane - ???
Left wing rotates between Sancho and Rashford (or them going to the right with Sterling being left). The midfielder next to Maddison would be best with RLC probably, but not sold with anyone else there. Choudhury an option that could provide good balance, but he's still young. It's definitely a good side though. And has good depth. Backup 11 if we put RLC and Sancho in the starting 11:
Pope
Wan Bissaka - Stones - Keane - Shaw
Rice
Choudhury - Ox-Chamberlain
Hudson Odoi - Vardy - Rashford​

With Abraham pushing Vardy if he keeps it up, and Foden in for Ox whenever hes ready.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself

Imagine not being able to enjoy your NT on its journey to a WC semi final. Especially when your country hasn’t had any success at the tournament in bloody ages.

I also think that whilst a lot of the concerns being expressed are somewhat true (our worries in midfield in particular) , they’re also massively knee jerk. We sailed through qualifying but had one shite result away from home where the team got complacent. What’s with all the major panic? A few players aren’t in top form and we missed some chances. It happens to every NT in qualifying. We beat Croatia and Spain in the Nations League so its not like we’re totally incapable of beating a decent team.

Maddison fit and in midfield will make a big difference, and hopefully Foden will break through by the time the tournament rolls around. We have a good team, one with weaknesses sure, but it’s solid. When we win 5-0 nobody bats an eyelid but one poor result and it’s the end of the universe.
Welcome to the Caf :lol::lol::lol:

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches

I would say Kane played himself out of position, he was clearly meant to be a number 9 but was trying to do everything. And the football was definitely nowhere near as good as people said it was, we just got by on set pieces for the most part.

Pele's blue pil

Supports
Arsenal

First of all don't feel sorry for me, I am not patriotic in the slightest, however as a football fan I will watch the big tournaments and what england done was massively over hyped

Cant say I even remember the nations league game against croatia, good chance I didnt watch, but fair play on that win, however I do remember the spain game and people on this forum could have managed England to victory in that game considering the pace england has and the suicidal high line spain played, as for the qualifiers they are pretty much a give me for the big teams

On the final parts I dont see how stating I dont think southgate is a very good manager is a knee jerk and pretty sure I mentioned the fact I think we have the players coming through now

Pele's blue pil

Supports
Arsenal
I would say Kane played himself out of position, he was clearly meant to be a number 9 but was trying to do everything. And the football was definitely nowhere near as good as people said it was, we just got by on set pieces for the most part.
Agreed, Some one I don't even know tried to start an argument with me because he overheard me say this to a friend, I then had to listen as he told me it's the best England team he had ever seen, worst thing is he was a lot older than me which just made the claim even dumber

Revaulx

In his defence the only two potentially odd decisions can be alleged to have been Keane over Gomez/Tomori/Mings, and then playing BOTH Rice and Henderson rather than just one alongside someone more progressive.

But if you think about it, what else could he have done? Gomez is out of form/out of Liverpool's 11, Tomori is a kid yet to make his debut, whilst Mings simply isn't good enough. Keane was the only reasonable option.

It then follows that his CM partnership had to be defensively minded in order to cover for his CB weakness. The opposite of "returning to fiction" about our players being better than they are.
Yeah I get that every England manager will always get pilloried for his team selections, and that by no means all the criticism is fair.

Henderson and Rice just seem an incredibly clunky combination though, and I’m not sure they really help the defence that much anyway.

I agree that it’s daft to think that Southgate has lots of better options than Keane. Though it’s a shame he burned his bridges with Smalling.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

Indeed.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
First of all don't feel sorry for me, I am not patriotic in the slightest, however as a football fan I will watch the big tournaments and what england done was massively over hyped

Cant say I even remember the nations league game against croatia, good chance I didnt watch, but fair play on that win, however I do remember the spain game and people on this forum could have managed England to victory in that game considering the pace england has and the suicidal high line spain played, as for the qualifiers they are pretty much a give me for the big teams

On the final parts I dont see how stating I dont think southgate is a very good manager is a knee jerk and pretty sure I mentioned the fact I think we have the players coming through now

You don’t have to be a flag toting patriot to enjoy your country advancing far in a World Cup .. same as you don’t have I be a total football fanatic to enjoy your club side doing well.

I don’t rate Southgate all that highly. But he’s done a solid job overall. He’s made England competent again to a level we hadn’t been at in yonks (we have had more talented sides as well) and whilst we will probably not win a tournament under him, he’s clearly done a good job. Two semi finals in two tournaments.

England don’t have great managers lining up to take over. Criticism of Southgate is fair but it does seem a bit silly how all the ‘we can’t beat anyone good’ stuff comes out the first time we lose in forever. The Czech Republic loss is the kind top international sides suffer all of the time .. comfortably top, bit complacent and away from home. All this backlash seems a tad reactive when it’s one bad result.

The bottom line is England have a world class front three (maybe the best in international football) but beyond that a bang average midfield and defence .. good depth at right back I guess? And an average keeper.

Southgate isn’t perfect but I do struggle a bit to see what more people expect from him with this team. It’s good but we need players to emerge, badly.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Don't always agree with McSquishy but he's bang on here.

Pele's blue pil

Supports
Arsenal
You don’t have to be a flag toting patriot to enjoy your country advancing far in a World Cup .. same as you don’t have I be a total football fanatic to enjoy your club side doing well.

I don’t rate Southgate all that highly. But he’s done a solid job overall. He’s made England competent again to a level we hadn’t been at in yonks (we have had more talented sides as well) and whilst we will probably not win a tournament under him, he’s clearly done a good job. Two semi finals in two tournaments.

England don’t have great managers lining up to take over. Criticism of Southgate is fair but it does seem a bit silly how all the ‘we can’t beat anyone good’ stuff comes out the first time we lose in forever. The Czech Republic loss is the kind top international sides suffer all of the time .. comfortably top, bit complacent and away from home. All this backlash seems a tad reactive when it’s one bad result.

The bottom line is England have a world class front three (maybe the best in international football) but beyond that a bang average midfield and defence .. good depth at right back I guess? And an average keeper.

Southgate isn’t perfect but I do struggle a bit to see what more people expect from him with this team. It’s good but we need players to emerge, badly.
Still fail to see why that would lead to you stating some rubbish about feeling sorry for me, If the football was half way decent I would be excited as it was it was pretty boring and I have no interest in the whole Engerland Engerland culture, I was able to enjoy plenty of other things about the world cup thank you

I have made 16 posts so you have no way of knowing that this just came about because England lost to czech republic, it didnt , in fact if you read the post you would have seen I was saying I thought England were being over hyped during the world cup itself

Agreed but if you have that front 3 you at least try your best to link it, henderson and rice was really not needed, might as well just throw winks in there as well, the three of them could bore us to death at least, the fact that qualification is basically assured should give him confidence to be a bit more risky

Last edited by a moderator:

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Still fail to see why that would lead to you stating some rubbish about feeling sorry for me, If the football was half way decent I would be excited as it was it was pretty boring and I have no interest in the whole Engerland Engerland culture, I was able to enjoy plenty of other things about the world cup thank you

I have made 16 posts so you have no way of knowing that this just came about because England lost to czech republic, it didnt , in fact if you read the post you would have seen I was saying I thought England were being over hyped during the world cup itself

Agreed but if you have that front 3 you at least try your best to link it, henderson and rice was really not needed, might as well just throw winks in there as well, the three of them could bore us to death at least, the fact that qualification is basically assured should give him confidence to be a bit more risky
Try not to be so sensitive about it. I just found it weird that you, as someone who was saying they were an England fan (and clearly cares enough to discuss the NT?) didn’t enjoy a tournament where we objectively did well. If you don’t care about England at all, and in fact seem to dislike everything surrounding our national side .. why bother supporting it? To me it doesn’t make sense supporting a side if you don’t really seem to like it.

I never understood this. Who overhyped us during the World Cup? People got excited because we were advancing but nobody was pretending we were a world class team. We were a side not long in to the Southgate tenure who relied on set pieces, and have evolved quite a bit since. You admit to not being a big fan or watching us during the nations league, so it does feel a little like you’ve seen one bad qualifier result and jumped in to call overrated. I think by most sensible people England are rated fairly right now: a decent national side but not an elite one .. yet.

Maddison was injured otherwise by all reports he starts, otherwise I agree he should have risked it a bit more. But coaches have a habit of sticking with what they know in qualifiers/ what they think will work best in competitive matches. He gave Mount a shot and he was completely invisible. In bigger games I do think we will see the value of a player like Rice shielding the back line.

National team coaches in general aren’t always the best. I struggle to think of many who don’t get criticised, even those who win stuff. It’s a pretty hard job with the time they get to work with players so you do often see them preferring to work with what they know and perhaps giving players more time than they deserve. Southgate’s not the first to fall victim to that a bit, and he won’t be the last.

Pele's blue pil

Supports
Arsenal
Try not to be so sensitive about it. I just found it weird that you, as someone who was saying they were an England fan (and clearly cares enough to discuss the NT?) didn’t enjoy a tournament where we objectively did well. If you don’t care about England at all, and in fact seem to dislike everything surrounding our national side .. why bother supporting it? To me it doesn’t make sense supporting a side if you don’t really seem to like it.

I never understood this. Who overhyped us during the World Cup? People got excited because we were advancing but nobody was pretending we were a world class team. We were a side not long in to the Southgate tenure who relied on set pieces, and have evolved quite a bit since. You admit to not being a big fan or watching us during the nations league, so it does feel a little like you’ve seen one bad qualifier result and jumped in to call overrated. I think by most sensible people England are rated fairly right now: a decent national side but not an elite one .. yet.

Maddison was injured otherwise by all reports he starts, otherwise I agree he should have risked it a bit more. But coaches have a habit of sticking with what they know in qualifiers/ what they think will work best in competitive matches. He gave Mount a shot and he was completely invisible. In bigger games I do think we will see the value of a player like Rice shielding the back line.

National team coaches in general aren’t always the best. I struggle to think of many who don’t get criticised, even those who win stuff. It’s a pretty hard job with the time they get to work with players so you do often see them preferring to work with what they know and perhaps giving players more time than they deserve. Southgate’s not the first to fall victim to that a bit, and he won’t be the last.
Now with the dont be sensitive :lol::lol:, then followed by a bunch of nonsense that you have made up about how I dislike everything about the national team, all because unlike others I wasnt overly impressed they won all the games they were expected to win except the Croatia game which they lost or is it because I said I dont rate southgate

It's funny because your huge over reaction to a post I said very little in but simply agreed with another poster is the only part of this where I see someone being overly sensitive, in fact you have actually gone and created arguements I never made and argued them, to my mistake I fell for this, thats my bad, but you sir would do well to follow a career into politics with tactics like that

You have also assumed a hell of a lot and completely made stuff up, I say one thing and you say I said something else, I said I dont remember the croatia game and there was a good chance I didnt watch it and now you say, You admit to not being a big fan or watching us during the nations league, so it does feel a little like you’ve seen one bad qualifier result and jumped in to call overrated, what kind of posting is that, you are making stuff up

Also I can't take how annoyed you seem to be that I think southgate is overrated when you a calling for pochettinos head after the incredible job he has done in making tottenham a mainstay in the top four and got you to the champs league final with only one world class player who if I remember correctly was injured quite a bit, I could be wrong there as I tried to blank you boys going all the way to the final out of my mind

I don't post much on any forum and signed up here as there are certain people in the betting thread who seem worth listening to, I honestly dont know if having someone say things you never said is normal on football forums but I have no will to engage in it and this will be my last message on the matter

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Now with the dont be sensitive :lol::lol:, then followed by a bunch of nonsense that you have made up about how I dislike everything about the national team, all because unlike others I wasnt overly impressed they won all the games they were expected to win except the Croatia game which they lost or is it because I said I dont rate southgate

It's funny because your huge over reaction to a post I said very little in but simply agreed with another poster is the only part of this where I see someone being overly sensitive, in fact you have actually gone and created arguements I never made and argued them, to my mistake I fell for this, thats my bad, but you sir would do well to follow a career into politics with tactics like that

You have also assumed a hell of a lot and completely made stuff up, I say one thing and you say I said something else, I said I dont remember the croatia game and there was a good chance I didnt watch it and now you say, You admit to not being a big fan or watching us during the nations league, so it does feel a little like you’ve seen one bad qualifier result and jumped in to call overrated, what kind of posting is that, you are making stuff up

Also I can't take how annoyed you seem to be that I think southgate is overrated when you a calling for pochettinos head after the incredible job he has done in making tottenham a mainstay in the top four and got you to the champs league final with only one world class player who if I remember correctly was injured quite a bit, I could be wrong there as I tried to blank you boys going all the way to the final out of my mind

I don't post much on any forum and signed up here as there are certain people in the betting thread who seem worth listening to, I honestly dont know if having someone say things you never said is normal on football forums but I have no will to engage in it and this will be my last message on the matter

In every post you’ve stressed how much you don’t really care about England and mocked the fanbase. You don’t like the manager or the style of play either, and couldn’t even enjoy getting to a World Cup semi. That doesn’t seem like a big fan to me. And yeah, you’re being stupidly sensitive .. I said I felt sorry for you because as a fan if you don’t enjoy a run like the World Cup and can only moan about it, what’s the point?!

Don’t know what you’re talking about here .. I have argued points you have made. Your post was another very generic ‘England are overrated we weren’t even good at the world cup’ fest that we’ve seen a thousand times before.

The way you’ve posted about England to me implies you’re not a regular watcher of the team, other than at major tournaments. I think you’d probably remember the Croatia game if you did watch it, and quite a lot of your points about England are outdated and based on what we were at first under Southgate.

You’re being a total baby. Sorry, but you are. I haven’t said things you haven’t said, you’re just trying to backtrack and making a mess while you do it. I’m not annoyed you don’t rate Southgate (??? I said I don’t rate him that highly myself?) I merely put his job in to context.

As for the unrelated shite about Poch and me wanting him out, that’s not for here and I’ve given a hell of a lot of reasons for why in other threads.

Thank god for that really, because my god you’re defensive.

Pele's blue pil

Supports
Arsenal
In every post you’ve stressed how much you don’t really care about England and mocked the fanbase. You don’t like the manager or the style of play either, and couldn’t even enjoy getting to a World Cup semi. That doesn’t seem like a big fan to me. And yeah, you’re being stupidly sensitive .. I said I felt sorry for you because as a fan if you don’t enjoy a run like the World Cup and can only moan about it, what’s the point?!

Don’t know what you’re talking about here .. I have argued points you have made. Your post was another very generic ‘England are overrated we weren’t even good at the world cup’ fest that we’ve seen a thousand times before.

The way you’ve posted about England to me implies you’re not a regular watcher of the team, other than at major tournaments. I think you’d probably remember the Croatia game if you did watch it, and quite a lot of your points about England are outdated and based on what we were at first under Southgate.

You’re being a total baby. Sorry, but you are. I haven’t said things you haven’t said, you’re just trying to backtrack and making a mess while you do it. I’m not annoyed you don’t rate Southgate (??? I said I don’t rate him that highly myself?) I merely put his job in to context.

As for the unrelated shite about Poch and me wanting him out, that’s not for here and I’ve given a hell of a lot of reasons for why in other threads.

Thank god for that really, because my god you’re defensive.
You have done it again and resorted to name calling, I really dont get your type of posting and you are obviously trying to argue for arguements sake, hence making stuff up yet again, there is no need to reply, I wont waste anymore time on you

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
You have done it again and resorted to name calling, I really dont get your type of posting and you are obviously trying to argue for arguements sake, hence making stuff up yet again, there is no need to reply, I wont waste anymore time on you

Name calling? I said you were being a baby, I didn’t call you names. Jesus Christ.

Cool. Go cry elsewhere, you haven’t engaged with any actual points and instead just thrown your toys out of the pram and brought up random unrelated shit.

JNicholas

Supports
Arsenal
I am 100% certain that Bukayo Saka will be in the Euro 2020 squad.

JNicholas

Supports
Arsenal
Possibly. We don’t have great depth out wide after sancho/sterling.

Could see both him and CHO being squad players by then.
Sterling, Sancho, CHO, Saka - that is an unbelievable amount of talent for the wings.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I think all the academy players we've brought in this season (plus last in CHOs case) will all with the exception of Tammy be starting within two years.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
I hope so but i doubt it. Southgate will select a mix of United and Spurs players and hope it works out.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Why is Southgate taking so much shit all of a sudden? He's done a pretty good job when you consider we've got an average goalkeeper, an average defence, and terrible centre midfield options.

You're always going to get the anti-England fans who mock "Engerland" and try to associate it with uber patriotic flag wavers. They are best ignored.

Adcuth

Wouldn't mind seeing this tonight.

Hudson-Odoi Kane Sancho​

Mount Winks Chamberlain​

Chilwell Maguire Mings TAA​

Pickford​

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Why is Southgate taking so much shit all of a sudden? He's done a pretty good job when you consider we've got an average goalkeeper, an average defence, and terrible centre midfield options.

You're always going to get the anti-England fans who mock "Engerland" and try to associate it with uber patriotic flag wavers. They are best ignored.
I agree in part.

I think people are reaching spectacularly putting down the world cup run last year however I've been very disappointed with his team selections recently.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I wish England could swap out one of our right backs for a decent left back.

Rose/chilwell are bang average options.