England should get a 5th CL spot

RoyH1

Sweet lord I want some of the good stuff the OP is smoking.

At the moment, the PL's best side would probably not beat La Liga's 3rd side Atlético Madrid over 180 minutes of football.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Why not 6 spots? It would be unfair that the top 6 can't qualify.
Or
Probably 7 spots because it would be unfair that clubs outside the top 6 can never get into CL because the places are always trusted by the top 6.
That's the spirit. Maybe we should give the English teams a league of their own, even!

Akshay

Staff
Why not 6 spots? It would be unfair that the top 6 can't qualify.
Or
Probably 7 spots because it would be unfair that clubs outside the top 6 can never get into CL because the places are always trusted by the top 6.
It should be the top 13 so we can finally see how Messi would fare on a cold and windy Tuesday in Stoke City.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
This is what happens when non-champions get too big for their britches.

I'm more in favor of kicking non champions out, and restricting participation to league champions and defending CL winners only.

finneh

In truth I think the top 4 countries should all have 5 or 6 teams qualify, but (much) further down in the qualification rounds.

You look at the list of teams in the early qualification rounds and some of the teams from the likes of Georgia, Albania, San Marino, Macedonia etc aren't ever going to contribute to the competition, whereas the likes of Arsenal/Villarreal would be competitive. Of course the small teams should be given the opportunity, but would putting those 5th placed teams into the early qualification rounds really do any harm to the competition? It stopped being a league for only Champions years ago after all.

It would still be a bit of a nightmare for those teams as they'd have at least 3 competitive matches in July and 3 in August so from a fatigue point of view there would still be a huge advantage to finishing 3rd and 4th.

BigTimeCharlie

Theoretically, if the Premier League wasn't as competitive as it is, teams could do what they do across the continent and rest their starting 11 before each tue/wed meaning they have greater chance of success on the night. Added to the fact there is no winter break and that the FA won't reschedule matches in favour of European ties all equal the reason why English clubs do so poorly.

Look at united for the Europa League Final, plenty of rest and dominated with ease.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Out of interest, how did you come to these numbers?
Spain have three great teams, that take up three of their spots. Imagine being a "middle CL" level team, stuck in the Spanish League, or imagine there being 5 "middle CL" teams. They would all be fighting for 1 spot.. but only 1 can get in at the moment. Spain have 3 giants blocking the route for the rest.

Likewise, Italy have 1 giant, Germany 1 giant, France and England have no giants at the moment.

So if we forget the "Giants", who you know are going to qualify, we have currently:

Spain - 1 spot
Germany - 3 spots
Italy - 3 spots
France - 3 spots
England - 4 spots

England need to lose 1, Spain gain 2

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I personally think that United and Real Madrid should directly qualify for the Semi finals, financially they are bound to reach it at some point anyway.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
England receiving an extra spot in the CL is laughable. No country should get that honor unless one of its teams has qualified via the Europa League. But for England to be awarded an extra slot when its clubs have been atrocious in the competition for six years or so is madness.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I personally think that United and Real Madrid should directly qualify for the Semi finals, financially they are bound to reach it at some point anyway.
Agreed.

Or rather, when I think about it, what makes most sense is that either United or Real are guaranteed a place in the final every year: The biggest revenue posted for the previous season determines who gets the place.

That way, you make sure the competition remains competitive - on the only level which truly matters, that is.

darioterios

I don't think I have encountered a thread in which all responses are as united as this, no matter which country you are in, no matter which teams you support. maybe that's actually OP's aim?

adexkola

Supports
England receiving an extra spot in the CL is laughable. No country should get that honor unless one of its teams has qualified via the Europa League. But for England to be awarded an extra slot when its clubs have been atrocious in the competition for six years or so is madness.
It's atrocious that a single league can send 4 teams to the CL.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Nahh, I think 20 clubs would be more fair, lets make BGA :lol:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
English teams are wank in the champions league, why would they get special treatment? Theres a reason we were at risk of losing the 4th spot, no chance in hell a 5th would be deserved.

Brightonian

Dudes concentrating on the performance of English teams over the past few years are missing the point.

It might be this year, it might be next but soon English teams will dominate the latter stages of the CL again.

History will tell you that money talks in the end and the PL is swimming in it.
Fine. When that happens, make this thread, and it will seem less insane.

Although to those posting that 'The Premier League teams are lucky to even have four spots'... no. You're also wrong. Four spots is what the UEFA coefficient gives us. It's maths, not luck.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
I wouldn't be so sure that EPL teams will dominate the CL like they did a few years back.

Simply because I can't see teams like Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool, etc, getting much better. Whilst serie A is slowly starting to recover its financial prowess.

Napoli plays very well under Sarri,Milan clubs are splashing the cash and Juve will still be better than any PL team next year.

On the other hand I feel the French league won't get much stronger than it is right now.

Kant-ona

I am sure that the opening post is an attempt of trolling. And it worked out perfectly. (No one can be serious on that.)

RedCurry

It's called "Champions" League. 4th placed teams are as it is lucky to be playing such a competition.

GazTheLegend

Technically we will always have a 5th Champions league spot as it's so easy to win the Europa league after all, according to certain of my opposition supporting friends

padr81

Supports
Man City
This is what happens when non-champions get too big for their britches.

I'm more in favor of kicking non champions out, and restricting participation to league champions and defending CL winners only.
100%, Uefa will never have the balls because of money reasons but the CL should be for champions.

As to the OP, thats one of the worst among thousands of terrible posts I've read on the internet. Its bad enough that in the near future they are getting 4 guaranteed in the groups along with Italy and others.. Its bad enough Uefa are bending the coefficients to include the distant past and give favorable draws to big names.. The CL is on its way to being a guaranteed European Super League that has to feature United, Milan, Barca etc.. whether they earn it or not. It's already enough of a disgrace.

El cangrejo

Supports
FC Luzern
Italy should get 7 places. It's unfair that Milan and Inter should miss out.

jetlee

The top 5 clubs in England should qualify for the CL.

I think it's unfair that two of Utd, City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool will miss out every year (bar the EL is won)

I don't think Spain or Germany deserve to have the same number of CL spots given their comparatively less number of powerful clubs.
Is that You, Arsene?

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
It's atrocious that a single league can send 4 teams to the CL.
I think that's fine so long as the coefficient system was in place, as no league was guaranteed to keep their spots if they performed bad on aggregate. I'm not a fan of this new system where coefficient is irrelevant and the big leagues monopolize the tournament.

adexkola

Supports
I think that's fine so long as the coefficient system was in place, as no league was guaranteed to keep their spots if they performed bad on aggregate. I'm not a fan of this new system where coefficient is irrelevant and the big leagues monopolize the tournament.
I would cap the number at 2, and distribute the extra spaces down the chain. Allows for a more equitable distribution of resources around Europe, instead of the money pooling in 4 leagues.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Spain have three great teams, that take up three of their spots. Imagine being a "middle CL" level team, stuck in the Spanish League, or imagine there being 5 "middle CL" teams. They would all be fighting for 1 spot.. but only 1 can get in at the moment. Spain have 3 giants blocking the route for the rest.

Likewise, Italy have 1 giant, Germany 1 giant, France and England have no giants at the moment.

So if we forget the "Giants", who you know are going to qualify, we have currently:

Spain - 1 spot
Germany - 3 spots
Italy - 3 spots
France - 3 spots
England - 4 spots

England need to lose 1, Spain gain 2
Cheers for clarifying mate, not sure I agree but I get where you're coming from.

Spain are 2x as good as us, 2x3=6.
:lol:

AXVnee7

No. If anything we should lose a spot.

Look how competitive the top of the table has become, what was originally a top 4 has become a top 6. Ourselves, the other 5 teams and those who seek to challenge (Everton) are currently under pressure to get the right reinforcements in to compete as best as possible for next year. But whatever happens only 4 teams will gain the league derived CL places, and unless a team wins the Europa League then England has 4 places. If we were to add a 5th CL place domestically, then that only relaxes the competition - it gives teams more margin for error across a season. Suddenly 6th (which we've been laughed at all season) isn't so far away from a CL place. It doesn't look as bad on our part.

There's also a knock-on effect in which teams will take the Europa League less seriously in favour of finishing 5th. I'm assuming that a top 5 getting CL will be the maximum and we will not get a 6th via Europa League.

The Europa League has traditionally been a disregarded competition by English clubs, and it's sad to see. It may not be the top European competition but it's still a very reputable trophy. The CL prize has resulted in English teams like ourselves, and Liverpool's attempt before us abandoning the league in a make-or-break effort. English teams should be competing in Europe in all fronts. Other English teams will be looking at this and now taking the competition more seriously if they are ambitious. A team like Everton for example, the EL is a perfect opportunity for them as in the League they have not finished in the top 4 for a very long time.

In order to keep the competition healthy but also for fairness we shouldn't get any more places even we are the biggest financial asset, or most watched league or whatever. Teams like Spurs and Arsenal are perennial failures in Europe and don't deserve their places. They just fill the numbers and embarrass the rest of us. Unfortunately if they get top 4, then they've fairly beat out the competition to earn their place.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
Or you could have the league champions of the top 8 leagues go straight into the knockouts with 32 group stage places reserved for runners-up in the top leagues and the winners of the lowest leagues. Only the winner of each group goes into knockouts.

Steve Bruce

The top 5 clubs in England should qualify for the CL.

I think it's unfair that two of Utd, City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool will miss out every year (bar the EL is won)

I don't think Spain or Germany deserve to have the same number of CL spots given their comparatively less number of powerful clubs.

I personally think the Champions League should be for Champions only. I think the fact that non-champions are in it makes a mockery of it being the 'champions league'

It's the moneybags League really, designed to make the big leagues bigger and the smaller leagues smaller that's why we'll unlikely see another Dutch, Portaguese, Scottish etc etc Champions league winner.

Nanook

My thinking, too. I'd prefer it to just go back to the actual champions of leagues.
After 1 season you'd want the current format back. Nobody wants to watch Bayern and Real Madrid walk their way to the final by beating the champions of Finland and Belarus.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
If anything, England should lose a spot. Premier league teams have under performed so much in recent years in the Champions League.