England Squad Confirmed vs Holland & Italy

juggernaut1986

On paper, this is perhaps the worst England squad in my lifetime. I was considering going to their match in Amsterdam but not going to waste my Friday evening watching this lot.

Number1

Shite squad, but can put out a decent starting 11.

I'd go with something like this:-

----------Rashford----Sterling

-------------------Alli

------------Wilshere--- Ox

------------------Dier

--Rose---Stones---Maguire---Walker

------------------Butland

But no doubt we'll have Henderson (and as captain) and Lallana starting though.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Smalling is definitely a better centre half than some of those, but I reckon there are two factors Southgate has in mind. First, that Smalling's abilities really aren't suited to the style of football Southgate wants to play (you can disagree with him here, but that seems to be his logic). Second and probably just as importantly, I suspect he thinks, much like many United fans, that Smalling, ultimately, will invariably let you down.

There are holes in both of those viewpoints - not least that there are plenty of players in there, not least the two players who've arguably replaced Smalling, who have similar limitations - but if he genuinely believes that he knows what Smalling can and can't do and he still isn't for him, I can see the logic in at least trying other players who, in his eyes, haven't yet been proven not to be up to the job.
The problem ultimately being is that all of the other defenders fall in that category. He then also picks a goalkeeper who has consistently let his country down with big errors during Tournaments. It's hypocritical as best, stupid at worst.

The squad is very low on quality though so do feel for him in that regard.

TinFoil

Just seen the stats for the keepers on sky. Pope as starting keeper is a no brainer.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
apart from Smalling, who else could realistically have been picked?

The sad reality is that this is actually the best we have to offer - at least there isnt going to be any hype this time around

AndyJ1985

Should be a good laugh watching us get humiliated in the WC. Looking forward to it

meamth

From Gerrard, Lampard, Becks and Rooney to Welbeck, Livermore, Ashley young and Mawson...

ah well. England used to have world class players but won't matter because the coach is always not to the task.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
I agree about Joe Hart. I would have brought Sam Johnstone in as he has done well at Villa. I presume it is just for his experience and advice he can give the others. Maybe not that he will play him, please don't play him Gareth. He wants to have a look at some new players to see if there is a wildcard that could force his way into the squad. I am glad to see Tarkowski and Mawson.
He gave Phil a mention, so he is definitely in his mind. People are proud and if they make a statement about a certain player, Chris Smalling in this case, they are not inclined to go back on it.
And they say pride comes before a fall.

The Burnley defenders hardly play like Beckenbauer from the back either. He just comes across as a stupid hypocrite.

arthurka

Smalling not in there is just weird. . Been the best English CB this season ..

Scarecrow

Having a week off
I'm guessing plan A would look something like this?

----------------??????---------------
----Gomez---Maguire---Stones----
Walker----Dier---Wilshere----Young
--------Alli--------------Sterling-----
---------------Vardy------------------

Devil may care

How the heel are Hart, Lallana and Livermore in the squad. :confused: Glad to see see Cook get a call-up and I hope Maguire starts.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Very underwhelming. At least the incredible youngsters this country is finally starting to produce will likely be fast tracked to the first team.

ti vu

Smalling is definitely a better centre half than some of those, but I reckon there are two factors Southgate has in mind. First, that Smalling's abilities really aren't suited to the style of football Southgate wants to play (you can disagree with him here, but that seems to be his logic). Second and probably just as importantly, I suspect he thinks, much like many United fans, that Smalling, ultimately, will invariably let you down.

There are holes in both of those viewpoints - not least that there are plenty of players in there, not least the two players who've arguably replaced Smalling, who have similar limitations - but if he genuinely believes that he knows what Smalling can and can't do and he still isn't for him, I can see the logic in at least trying other players who, in his eyes, haven't yet been proven not to be up to the job.
The point regarding the style is understand if England NT enjoys the spine/ core of players playing the preferred style from clubs. England just doesn't have that luxury. John Stones for all the hype is not the most important CB in City side and at the moment seems to be relegated to the bench. GK is an constant issue. Dier is not notable in that Tottenham side. If they have money, he is very upgradeable. There is a gap from him to Alli and Kane positions which then you look at England options, it's hopeless to see them to be able to replicate similar performance of the foreigner's counter part at club level. No Dembele, no Erikssen, no Wanayama, no Fernandinho no KDB nor David Silva...

How can you be arrogant to say you don't need a distinct plan B when your plan A look likes a mess in the first place. That's we're not even trying to touch on the matter of coming up against team with similar approach but better quality. It's like seeing lightweight infighter boxer from amateur tournament trying to take on a heavyweight infighter professional one.

Edit: as other pointed out. Keep including Hart who both keep letting the team down and not suitable for building from the back (Pep rather Bravo and Caballero) but citing style & different idea as excuse is rich.

ti vu

You guys think the England squad is bad? Wait till you see ours.:lol:
You're not building up for the WC (no winding up intended). You can afford to make wholesale experiment while England is expected to have some framework in place by now. This selection showed nothing. If anything it has the same clueless aura like Moyes. Pick for form? No. For style? No. For experience? We see where this team's heading to...

Last edited:

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Watch the u19s instead, the attacking options in that squad are ridiculous. The defence is immense too.
They're impressive. I don't think another nation has the level of talent England has right now.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Call up Leon Bailly and with him/Sterling on the wings:

Smaller teams

Kane
Bailey Alli Sterling
Dier Wilshere
Rose Maguire Stones Walker
Butland​

Top sides (3412)

Kane
Sterling Alli
Sessagnon Wilshere Dier Walker
Maguire Stones Gomez
Butland​

Bench would have guys like Lingard (for Alli) Vardy Sancho Rashford Chamberlain Gray and defence I think I'd want Smalling there as he has experience against top players.

I personally think this England team is being written off too easily. Can it win? Feck no but can it do itself justice? Why not. First time there is a distinct lack of ego about the squad and that has crippled the side for years due to the Beckham and then Rooney saga where past their best and injured stars were dictating policy.

Plus Wales got to the semi of euro by having a star player and also a squad who was aware of their limitations and fought together. This seems a squad of players who could definitely be moulded and I think Kane is a good role model and a quality star player to have in the ranks.

Team needs a sprinkle of stardust and I think Sancho and Bailey if we can get them in, gives us that X factor if Plan A isn't working. I think we can get through group stage, and performance wise I would be surprised if we don't better Euro 2016 and WC 2014 and the two tournaments before that too.

RedFish

England are like a mid-table PL, win some, lose some, not threatening to achieve anything when the prizes are given out.

At least the junior teams look like they could bring some excitement and expectation back!

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Is Smalling actually playing that well?

Dived for the free kick that lead to the Newcastle winner the other week and poor positioning for the first on Tuesday.

Rather see Harry Maguire in there.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
How spineless can Southgate get calling up Hart? no way on earth he should be in the squad, and when was the last time we called up 4 keepers?

On the evidence of tonight Welbeck is obviously in their for his diving certainly isn't for any other reason over the past few years.

and how on earth is Lascelles not in the squad? he would probably be in my starting 11.

vanthaman

Winner
apart from Smalling, who else could realistically have been picked?

The sad reality is that this is actually the best we have to offer - at least there isnt going to be any hype this time around
Lewis Dunk should be in there, he’s the real deal

redshaw

Pretty bleak squad, perhaps we can do a Denmark.

Scotland, Ireland and England used to produce good players. Of late England has been holding on but this maybe a new low. Hope I'm speaking to soon, there's still some good players that could do well but these islands as a whole are in a bad spot.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
We're not great at all on paper. We'll need a Danish, or more accurately a Greek-style surge at the tournament to make any impact.

Most of our better players are youngsters and/or are struggling to hold down a place for their clubs. Kane was poor at the Euros but he's as sure a thing as we've got, take him out and there are far too many questions and not enough answers.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
That squad is more than good enough to get out of that easy group and give Poland/Colombia a good match in the round of 16. Quarters are probably the ceiling for this team though but if you get there you're 3 games away from winning the World Cup

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
We're not great at all on paper. We'll need a Danish, or more accurately a Greek-style surge at the tournament to make any impact.

Most of our better players are youngsters and/or are struggling to hold down a place for their clubs. Kane was poor at the Euros but he's as sure a thing as we've got, take him out and there are far too many questions and not enough answers.
Kane out would be a big blow (let's hope he's not taking the corners this year) but attack isn't too bad in terms of talent and depth.

Sterling been underwhelming for England and an easy target for the boo boos but like him or nor he's been excellent for Man. City this season.

I tip my hat to Vardy. Thought he was a one season wonder but here he is two years later still scoring and giving the best defences in the leagues major trouble. Problem at international level is many teams will sit deep and England won't get far enough to play a major team who'll park their defence on the halfway line. Still a credible option though, he'd cause someone like Argentina major issues.

Rashford. Not played a huge amount but still a good scoring record.

Defence and particularly midfield options worry me far more than upfront.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
So... shite keepers, couple decent full backs, LOL midfielders for the most part and probably Sterling the best of the strikers.

Aside from Harry Kane being out, who's missing? Cause that's a fecking shite team otherwise.

It'll be murdered in Russia (one way or the other I guess).
That's full strength, Phil Jones is the only other main absentee.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
You guys think the England squad is bad? Wait till you see ours.:lol:
You at least have some very good prospects like De Ligt, Frenkie de Jong, Fosu-Mensah and Kluivert. Partner that with some solid players like Wijnaldum, De Vrij, Van Dijk, Memphis, Cillessen and Blind. It's a very solid team.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
England NT is always my 2nd team in any competition they've been involved. Seeing this squad is actually sadden me. So much averageness (except on attack), right from the players, the style, and to the manager.

dbs235

You at least have some very good prospects like De Ligt, Frenkie de Jong, Fosu-Mensah and Kluivert. Partner that with some solid players like Wijnaldum, De Vrij, Van Dijk, Memphis, Cillessen and Blind. It's a very solid team.
And England don't have any good prospects?

Castia

Mediocre team on paper and I think Southgate is a awful manager, my hopes for England coming into a World Cup have never been lower.