England squad (Games against Bulgaria and Kosovo)

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Squad announcement is tomorrow afternoon.

GOALKEEPERS
Pickford
Pope
And i reckon Southgate will nominate Henderson and Gunn to see both in training.
Heaton is a good keeper but he is 33.

DEFENDERS
Centre-Backs
Stones is injured therefore Maguire and Gomez should start in both games.
Tarkowski and Dunk will be likely the other two players.

Left-backs
Chilwell and Shaw are injured there Rose will be easily the first choice for both games.
Will be interesting which other left-back will get a call-up.....maybe Maitland-Niles?

Right-backs
And that will be very interesting.......Maitland-Niles plays obviously as RB for Arsenal this season therefore he is a option too and Walker, Alexander-Arnold, Trippier (Southgate has watched him on the weekend), Wan-Bissaka (He can still play for the U21's) & Walker-Peters too :)

MIDFIELDERS
Defensive midfield
Henderson and Rice are surely in the squad.
Southgate loves Dier but he really can't be in the squad with no minutes for Tottenham......please Winks.
And hopefully no Delph :mad:

Attacking midfield
No Lingard :mad:
Alli is injured and Loftus-Cheek too.
So surely call-ups for Barkley, Maddison and Mount.
Actually Foden should be in the squad too because we need a player like him in the team and he will be lost anyway in the U21 team with Boothroyd but no games for Manchester City means it is his own fecking fault!

FORWARDS
Kane, Sterling, Rashford and Sancho are safe.
Hudson-Odoi is injured.
Hopefully Abraham and no Wilson.

Tickle Lad

Supports
Leicester City
Longstaff can't be far off given his style of play versus our needs.

CallyRed

Lingard will be in the squad. Southgate loves him as much as Ole does.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
We need to pack our squad with players from the top six.

I’m fed up of dross being called up when they aren’t at a big club.

Keeper

AWB/TAA
Maguire
Stones
Shaw

Henderson
Ali
Lingard

Sterling
Kane
Rashford

Would give anyone a worry.

Walker/Jones/Young/Dier/Sancho/Mount/oxlade on bench.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!

Keeper

AWB/TAA
Maguire
Stones
Shaw

Henderson
Ali
Lingard

Sterling
Kane
Rashford

not sure why Sancho would be on the bench over Rashford and Walker over AWB unless Southgate wears the same red tinted glasses you do?

Raw

Keeper

AWB/TAA
Maguire
Stones
Shaw

Henderson
Ali
Lingard

Sterling
Kane
Rashford

But what if players outside the top 6 are genuinely better than some in the top 6? Maddison would 100% get in over Lingard, him playing for Leicester has nothing to do with his talent.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham

Keeper

AWB/TAA
Maguire
Stones
Shaw

Henderson
Ali
Lingard

Sterling
Kane
Rashford

You're talking about dross and then sticking Lingard and Alli in the team who have been outright awful for long periods of time. Is Maguire so much better suddenly just because he signed for United?

Maddison should clearly be starting, he's the best attacking midfielder we have right now regardless of whether he plays for a fashionable club or not. For years we complained that England managers only gave chances to players from top six clubs and now you want to revert to that mentality where you're automatically picked if you play for a better team? Feck that.

And yeah @Massive Spanner is right, clearly Sancho should be starting ahead of Rashford out wide. Him and Sterling are our most in form players.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
not sure why Sancho would be on the bench over Rashford and Walker over AWB unless Southgate wears the same red tinted glasses you do?
Change it around however you want. I don’t mind. I forgot about Sancho as I was writing out my team to be fair.

The best players end up at the best clubs. Why are Dunk or Tarchovski anywhere near the starting team? Why are Manchester United players benched for players who aren’t good enough.

We have never had such a talented squad. We should be seriously challenging for World Cups and European championships

Massive Spanner

Change it around however you want. I don’t mind. I forgot about Sancho as I was writing out my team to be fair.

The best players end up at the best clubs. Why are Dunk or Tarchovski anywhere near the starting team? Why are Manchester United players benched for players who aren’t good enough.

We have never had such a talented squad. We should be seriously challenging for World Cups and European championships
The commentator puns?

Not sure I get your argument. Does that mean Maguire shouldn't have started for you in your last round of internationals but should now? :confused: If a player is good enough why does it matter what club they play for. I guess Shearer should've never had caps for England!

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
The commentator puns?

Not sure I get your argument. Does that mean Maguire shouldn't have started for you in your last round of internationals but should now? :confused: If a player is good enough why does it matter what club they play for. I guess Shearer should've never had caps for England!
Shearer was at one of the best teams in the country.

Maguire was good enough so he progressed.

Renegade

Some of these Manchester United players shouldn’t be at the club. Lingard shouldn’t be starting because of who plays for. Judge him on his performances. Which are no where near Maddison,Barkley or even Mount.

I never want to see Lingard and Ali in the same midfield again.

Last edited:

Massive Spanner

Shearer was at one of the best teams in the country.

Maguire was good enough so he progressed.
Ehh maybe the first few years he was there they were but for a lot of Shearer's England career they definitely were.

Ohhhh OK so Maguire was going to end up at the bigger club therefore it was fine, that's just slightly confusing mate, cause you said repeatedly above that it should only be players who are already at big clubs starting in the matches. But I totally get you now, makes sense, how could I be so stupid!

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Ehh maybe the first few years he was there they were but for a lot of Shearer's England career they definitely were.

Ohhhh OK so Maguire was going to end up at the bigger club therefore it was fine, that's just slightly confusing mate, cause you said repeatedly above that it should only be players who are already at big clubs starting in the matches. But I totally get you now, makes sense, how could I be so stupid!
I’m just fed up of seeing no hopers in this England team. I don’t want to see any Norwich, Villa, Burnley or Bournemouth players in the squad.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic

Keeper

AWB/TAA
Maguire
Stones
Shaw

Henderson
Ali
Lingard

Sterling
Kane
Rashford

Username checks out.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Alli shouldn't be anywhere near the England team for ages. First he has to prove he's drastically improved over what he was showing last season, and then he needs to show Southgate he's ready to come back and do far better than he has in the past for England.

Bwuk

Hopefully Dean Henderson gets in the squad.

England are stacked at right back. Don't think AWB will get in the squad.

Pickford
TAA - Gomez - Maguire - Rose
Sancho - Henderson - Mount - Sterling
Kane - Rashford​

SweetRightFoot

This is the kind of mentality that makes established internationals feel 'safe' and under perform. If it's so obvious to you what our first XI is then we should be using these friendly games against weak opposition to bed newer upcoming players into the squad.

I'm not even a huge fan of Maddison but I'd much prefer him in there over Alli. Experience at the top level and in European competitions is valuable but the squad should be picked on performances not name alone.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
awful squad IMO

Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Ross Barkley (Chelsea), Ben Chilwell (Leicester City), Joe Gomez (Liverpool), Tom Heaton (Aston Villa), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Michael Keane (Everton), Jesse Lingard (Manchester United), James Maddison (Leicester City), Harry Maguire (Manchester United), Tyrone Mings (Aston Villa), Mason Mount (Chelsea), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Liverpool), Jordan Pickford (Everton), Nick Pope (Burnley), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Declan Rice (West Ham United), Danny Rose (Tottenham Hotspur), Jadon Sancho (Borussia Dortmund), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City), Kieran Trippier (Atletico Madrid), Aaron Wan-Bissaka(Manchester United), Callum Wilson (AFC Bournemouth), Harry Winks (Tottenham Hotspur)

RochaRoja

awful squad IMO

Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Ross Barkley (Chelsea), Ben Chilwell (Leicester City), Joe Gomez (Liverpool), Tom Heaton (Aston Villa), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Michael Keane (Everton), Jesse Lingard (Manchester United), James Maddison (Leicester City), Harry Maguire (Manchester United), Tyrone Mings (Aston Villa), Mason Mount (Chelsea), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Liverpool), Jordan Pickford (Everton), Nick Pope (Burnley), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Declan Rice (West Ham United), Danny Rose (Tottenham Hotspur), Jadon Sancho (Borussia Dortmund), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City), Kieran Trippier (Atletico Madrid), Aaron Wan-Bissaka(Manchester United), Callum Wilson (AFC Bournemouth), Harry Winks (Tottenham Hotspur)

Not as awful as the formatting.

RochaRoja

Tyrone Mings? :houllier:

I mean, it’s irrelevant who he picks because they’ll roll over Bulgaria and Kosovo regardless but...really?!

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Winks - Chamberlain (though not sure how's he been since coming back?) - Maddison isn't a bad midfield 3... though really, against Bulgaria and Kosovo we could probably go with two midfielders and shoe-horn Kane, Rashford, Sterling and Sancho into one team.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I don't think the squad is that awful considering who is playing and where people are at in terms of fitness right now.

Pickford / TAA / Maguire / Keane or Gomez / Chillwell is the best England have to offer so no qualms here and is very good.

Midfield is where the quality really depletes...Mount and Maddison both deserve to start as they've been fantastic so far. Put Henderson in too and that's a good attacking midfield against teams like Kosovo. We really need alternatives in the CDM spot though. I really don't see it with Rice and he's fine for now but as a long term option I just don't trust him. Winks is okay but nothing special and Barkley/Ox are hit and miss. Henderson is our only consistent 7/10 performer in midfield.

Sancho / Kane / Sterling is one of the best forward lines in the world so fair game with that too.

saivet

Strange that Walker isn't in the squad, I'd have him in over AWB and Trippier to be honest.

romufc

Mings, AWB, see if the Ox is back to his best. Maddison getting a chance. Wilson might get more minutes. He knows a lot about most of the players.
Mings is in there because Stones is injured. We don't have a big talent of CB's.

Maybe Lingard can get some confidence.