England squad (Games against Czech Republic and Montenegro) | Rashford and Shaw called up

Djemba-Djemba

I was being very reasonable
A few of you jumped on my comment that England were overhyped, despite admitting that the media etc overhype them

The fact that I am irish became an issue for some bizarre reason, despite me admitting that a former irish youth player recently declaring for England was a good career choice for him and despite me admitting Ireland are a shambles and shit.

Maybe the issue is on your side
Maybe they should keep this topic to just English posters and the rest of us should stay out of the debate
Maybe you can all just overhype them together and render the idea of a forum and reasonable debate to history
You think the England team are overhyped, I don't agree. England fans are aware of our strengths, in attack, and our weaknesses , pretty much everywhere else.

Probably best to agree to disagree.

Dante

Average bang
I don’t agree
United have always had great players from multiple countries
A decent club side should be able to beat an international one

At the moment us v England would be close
Looking to the future; I’d like to think some of our youngsters can be the next Rashford & co and have a good run with England
I’d be delighted if Rashford & lingard etc won a WC too, and while I don’t see it happening, you never know in football
True. But the biggest and best teams in the land usually provide the bulk of the national team's players (dependent on the size of the league).

Spain is mostly made up Real and Barca players. Same with Germany and Bayern. And Italy and Juventus.

United under Fergie had a shit ton of England players. The fact that we don't now is an indictment of United's current state, and it's easy to see why some may find that embarrassing.

If United were the best team in Europe and no English player could get in because they weren't good enough that would be one thing. But we're currently only 5th in the league and all the best players for the NT ply their trade for teams in the top 4. That's not a good look no matter how you paint it.

We should be the ones providing Kane, Sterling, Alli et al to England.

Yes, in a hypothetical world 'nationality' doesn't matter. But the pool of Premier League-ready players in understandably going to be skewed towards English players. And United should be hoovering up the best within that pool if we want to get to the top. If we did, we'd have more of an English presence by default.

Cloud7

A poster here suggested that It’s embarrassing that united don’t have more English internationals

I replied that they are overhyped
Suggesting we have a World Cup winner etc

It went from there
I think the 3 lions brigade on here are a bit sensitive

Even the compliments got ignored
There’s nothing wrong with wanting more England internationals in the side, especially during a period where England have better players than they’ve had in recent years, along with quite a few very talented young players coming through the ranks.

You would be hard pressed to find a club that wouldn’t want a Kane or Sterling playing for them, for example. There’s nothing wrong in saying that, as an English club, we should want to have the best English players in our ranks.

Red4Ever

Cork; home of Cantwell, Irwin, Keane and Vidic-wel
There’s nothing wrong with wanting more England internationals in the side, especially during a period where England have better players than they’ve had in recent years, along with quite a few very talented young players coming through the ranks.

You would be hard pressed to find a club that wouldn’t want a Kane or Sterling playing for them, for example. There’s nothing wrong in saying that, as an English club, we should want to have the best English players in our ranks.

Yup

Nothing embarrassing about not having loads of them either

Obviously I’d gladly take Kane & sterling right now

Red4Ever

True. But the biggest and best teams in the land usually provide the bulk of the national team's players (dependent on the size of the league).

Spain is mostly made up Real and Barca players. Same with Germany and Bayern. And Italy and Juventus.

United under Fergie had a shit ton of England players. The fact that we don't now is an indictment of United's current state, and it's easy to see why some may find that embarrassing.

If United were the best team in Europe and no English player could get in because they weren't good enough that would be one thing. But we're currently only 5th in the league and all the best players for the NT ply their trade for teams in the top 4. That's not a good look no matter how you paint it.

Yes, in a hypothetical world 'nationality' doesn't matter. But the pool of Premier League-ready players in understandably going to be skewed towards English players. And United should be getting the best within that pool if we want to get to the top. If we did, we'd have more of an English presence by default.
United back then were far more successful than England

I’d argue England should have used scholes and say carrick better

But I see your point overall

Classical Mechanic

You guys are not that bad, honestly.
They just snuck past Gibraltar which is a particular low point for them. That said, they've got a lot of talent coming through in the youth teams at the moment so the future could be brighter. Dan Crowley declared for them too, he's more gifted than any player in their squad. If they could get Redmond to switch too it would help.

shaky

Yes, in a hypothetical world 'nationality' doesn't matter. But the pool of Premier League-ready players in understandably going to be skewed towards English players. And United should be hoovering up the best within that pool if we want to get to the top. If we did, we'd have more of an English presence by default.
Very true. Apart from producing great England players from the academy, we also had a solid record for buying English talent. Young, Carrick, Smalling, Rooney, Rio, Smith, Sheringham, Cole.. the list goes on and on. In the years since Fergie, we've bought Luke Shaw and Lee Grant and that's it. Pretty shameful and the excuse that there's no value in buying homegrown players these days really doesn't wash when you look at the "value" we've had from most of our non-English signings.

They just snuck past Gibraltar which is a particular low point for them. That said, they've got a lot of talent coming through in the youth teams at the moment so the future could be brighter. Dan Crowley declared for them too, he's more gifted than any player in their squad. If they could get Redmond to switch too it would help.
That sounds promising - I'm always rooting for the other home nation teams. Scotland need to get their ish together everyone seems to be making progress but them.

Very true. Apart from producing great England players from the academy, we also had a solid record for buying English talent. Young, Carrick, Smalling, Rooney, Rio, Smith, Sheringham, Cole.. the list goes on and on. In the years since Fergie, we've bought Luke Shaw and Lee Grant and that's it. Pretty shameful and the excuse that there's no value in buying homegrown players these days really doesn't wash when you look at the "value" we've had from most of our non-English signings.
I agree - it's not even just English we lack its also a strong British core. Im quite annoyed we don't have any Welsh, Irish or Scottish talents. It's something SAF prided himself in and we should have continued with it.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
The likes of Shaw, Gomez, Stones and TAA are all fantastic defenders. With WAB, Chilwell, Maguire as backups, I think we look fairly solid at the back.
I feel Trevoh Chalobah is the most talented central defender England have to offer IMO. He's a defender in the mould of Jerome Boateng. His ball distribution is exceptional, technically gifted, and athletic too. Given Jack Grealish is out the picture due to playing in the Championship, Chalobah will need exposure in a higher division as he's been on loan to Chelsea. Fortunately, he's trained with the England before. However, he'll need to push for playing in the Bundesliga or something along those lines as Sarri isn't the type to give the youth a chance. Gomez is also quality. I still remember his exceptional performance against Brazil, and prior to his injury, he seemed to have improved further.

Alli is as good a goal-scoring midfielder as anyone in Europe. Dier's decent and Rice has the potential to go all the way to the top. England could do with a bit more competition in the middle, but we've got loads of prospects ready to breakthrough (Foden, Cook, Gibbs-White, Gomes, etc).
I would love to see a midfield experiment of Barkley - Winks - Foden. You might be thinking, where the pure DM fits in that midfield. One of the many things I enjoyed about England's U17 side was the performances of George McEachran. In case you aren't aware, his natural position is in a somewhat advanced role in midfield. Yet, he was deployed in a deeper role and flourished may I add. With Foden and Barkley being managed by the likes of Guardiola and Sarri, they're training in systems which rigorously focus on movement, occupying the half spaces, and dominating proceedings in possession. The added bonus being with Foden's locomotion, and Barkley's dynamism, it could potentially be quite the press resistant midfield.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
As an England football supporter you’re not allowed to be excited - or even remotely confident - without arseholes putting words into your mouth.

The same basement dwellers generally believed that thousands of pissed up lads (enjoying the sun for the first summer in years) singing ‘it’s coming home’ was a sign of arrogance, and not just thousands up pissed up lads (and lasses) enjoying football for the first time in Lord knows how long.

England are playing their best football in years and have some exciting young players in attacking positions. That isn’t hype, moreso objective assessment.
I'm not English.

But you guys have a very good side. A young and very promising side.with a very good manager to boot.

Of course they will be bitter fans from the usual suspect countries. Pay no heed to them and just enjoy watching this side. You guys have hardly had anything to cheer about for decades. Last Summer you had your joint second best performance at a major tournament. There's finally a reason to cheer on this side.

Classical Mechanic

I’d like a midfield of

———-Rice/Dier/Henderson———-
——-—Winks————Foden———-

To go to Euro 2020

As for centre backs coming through I’d nominate Tomori who is on loan at Derby from Chelsea. I think he’ll get a shot in the PL next year.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Crowley was actually in our youth team but Arsenal came for him at 17-18. He did little in his loan spells at likes of Barnsley and Oxford. Is he still playing in Holland?

ROI is just like so many national teams, had a golden period in early 00s (Duff, Given, Finnan, Robbie and Roy Keane etc) and been decline in standards every since.

Late 90s/early 00s were golden age for international football when you look back. Even mid ranking nations like Norway, Turkey and Romania were ridiculously strong in those times.

Classical Mechanic

Crowley was actually in our youth team but Arsenal came for him at 17-18. He did little in his loan spells at likes of Barnsley and Oxford. Is he still playing in Holland?

ROI is just like so many national teams, had a golden period in early 00s (Duff, Given, Finnan, Robbie and Roy Keane etc) and been decline in standards every since.

Late 90s/early 00s were golden age for international football when you look back. Even mid ranking nations like Norway, Turkey and Romania were ridiculously strong in those times.
He’s in Holland still. He’s a decent player in that league, scores some worldies now and then. I guess he doesn’t maintain his best form enough though.

I think he would have played for England if he could after flip flopping between both nations but has been in the wilderness for years now after not really developing to his potential.

purgethefallen

I was being very reasonable
A few of you jumped on my comment that England were overhyped, despite admitting that the media etc overhype them

The fact that I am irish became an issue for some bizarre reason, despite me admitting that a former irish youth player recently declaring for England was a good career choice for him and despite me admitting Ireland are a shambles and shit.

Maybe the issue is on your side
Maybe they should keep this topic to just English posters and the rest of us should stay out of the debate
Maybe you can all just overhype them together and render the idea of a forum and reasonable debate to history
If that was being reasonable I'd hate to see what you post when you're not.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
I agree - it's not even just English we lack its also a strong British core. Im quite annoyed we don't have any Welsh, Irish or Scottish talents. It's something SAF prided himself in and we should have continued with it.
We have McTominay.

Honestly the lack of Non-English Home nations talent has more to do with the lack of talent there. I think I read the last Irish player to play in the Champions League for an English club was John O'Shea and I think that indicates the larger problem of why we lack any talents from those nations.

Red4Ever

We have McTominay.

Honestly the lack of Non-English Home nations talent has more to do with the lack of talent there. I think I read the last Irish player to play in the Champions League for an English club was John O'Shea and I think that indicates the larger problem of why we lack any talents from those nations.
There was a golden era in the late 70s and 80s and 90s for irish and Scottish players and many Welsh ones too

As the premier league became more global their chances got less but ultimately the players are not there

England still has lots of good ones and wales have too

Ironically Northern Ireland are doing very good with players who aren’t world class either