England Discussion

RopersReturn

Southgate will play a back 3 if we get to the QF and play France. If he did go for a back four, I think it would be crazy to select TAA ahead of Walker at RB too. He's the best defensively and the only one that might be able to handle Mbappe's pace.

In all likelihood it will be Walker as RCB and probably Trippier as RWB. I don't think Trippier has been good this tournament, so I'd probably prefer at RWB but definitely not in a back 4.
So in other words, by playing 3 at the back and including Walker, Southgate will make the same mistake as he did 4 yrs ago?

simplyared

We played a team yesterday that are at Championship level. With the quality we've got in that squad the game should have been put to bed by half time. Wouldn't say it was an impressive team performance even with the win. Same old thing seeing players performing like robots when they put the England shirt on. First half was painful to watch!
TAA being on the bench is criminal so he needs to start.

Posh Red

We played a team yesterday that are at Championship level. With the quality we've got in that squad the game should have been put to bed by half time. Wouldn't say it was an impressive team performance even with the win. Same old thing seeing players performing like robots when they put the England shirt on. First half was painful to watch!
TAA being on the bench is criminal so he needs to start.
Perhaps vs Senegal. Against France would be suicidal, though.

PoTMS

I wonder what's happened with him. I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.

RopersReturn

Would prefer to face Argentina if we beat Senegal on Sunday, after which we’re likely to see less of the ball. Poland even remind me of the way we play.

redshaw

Could be a tricky game for our defence that I don't think has been really tested. This feels like a fairly tough PL fixture, a timid cautious approach could have us done over but there's also potential for some big errors from Senegal to help us.

Pintu

So far. Would imagine a Brazil vs Argentina semi would top anything else. Providing they both get there.
The winners of England France and Portugal Spain will be prepared for whatever comes their way.

Brazil might have an easy road to the semifinal. But that will bite them at the end.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Southgate's England don't fill me with confidence against a big team.

Seems to have all the makings of another heartbreak.

RomfordRed75

I still don't think we've played anyone decent yet. Same in 2018 and the Euros, the any decent teams we play, we get beat.
Let's hope that's changes Saturday.

edcunited1878

Should be a tense and close match, as many big matches are. Lots of great individual battles to look forward to.

England's midfield was superb today and if they can get the better of Rabiot and whoever partners with him, they'll have a great chance.

England's backline, expect for Shawberto, was shakey before the goal today and they'll have to be sharp from the off against France.

siw2007

Difficult first half hour or so, but as soon as we got the lead it was pretty comfortable. We will be the underdogs against France, don’t expect to win but it’s by no means impossible.

cyberman

Think England will beat France. You just seem like a better team

AndySmith1990

We could blow away dross like Iran, Wales and Senagal 10-0 and I still wouldn't fancy us against the likes of France and Brazil etc. Too many years of failure to expect any different. But here's hoping our fortunes change this time

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I feel like Southgate is looking to control games with lots of horizontal passes but feel that just doesn't get the best out of us, we look so much better when the game starts to stretch.

El Zoido

France are favourites but England are capable of beating them. Potentially really tasty game, this WC is hotting up.

slored1

Walker is someone that can stop Mbappe. I think England has a chance, a lot will depend on how they stop the free-roaming Griezmann. Should be the same lineup as today to start vs France.

fergies coat

Think England will beat France. You just seem like a better team
We've never really beaten anyone in a tournament who are better than us. Take all these coming home posts with a pinch of salt, no one actually believes it, although if we do beat France it will become unbearable for you lot in here.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
We've never really beaten anyone in a tournament who are better than us. Take all these coming home posts with a pinch of salt, know on actually believe it, although if we do beat France it will become unbearable for you lot in here.
This is true :lol: I'd be in shock if we actually did France. Never fancy us against one of the big boys.

However, it's coming home :D