England Discussion

Djemba-Djemba

Southgate has to go at the end of this WC whenever that is for England.

He's overall done well with England in terms of making it to a semi final and then a final but it's very clear he's gone as far as he can and things need to change.

He seems to be getting more negative and cautious each year and he's wasting this generation of amazing attacking talent.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Of course it's you.

You didn't learn with Ole, did you?
The way England play is the literal definition of how to win tournament football.

Fans shouldn’t expect to steamroll everyone, that’s just pure arrogance from us England fans.

PoTMS

The way England play is the literal definition of how to win tournament football.

Fans shouldn’t expect to steamroll everyone, that’s just pure arrogance from us England fans.
Erm, no it isn't - hence why we didn't win the last two competitions.

And there you go with the false equivalence again. I missed you @UnitedSofa.

Irwin99

Qualified unless Wales beat us by 4+ goals.

A win against Wales guarantees we top the group.

Draw vs Wales and we need a draw between Iran and USA, or USA to win by less than a 4 goal margin against Iran to top the group.

Lose by less than 4 goals vs Wales and we need Iran vs USA to draw top the group to top the group.

If my maths is correct
Thanks. Gareth Bale masterclass or bust for Wales :lol:

I'm always interested to see England against the really big teams. If my memory serves Southgate has been quite lucky with some of the draws he's had as a manager and his best win was against Germany two years ago. Denmark are a very good team obviously but they're not elite level in my opinion, and were more a dark horse. I'd really like to see England play France or Brazil or Spain. England easily has the talent to go toe to toe with these sides but the manager just doesn't convince me.

Koldbeer2021

Supports
West Ham
I'm still a bit confused how Mount managed to stay on the entire match, he just offered literally nothing. Neither did Rice however his game is less about that part of it than Mount.

I don't think you can justify Mount playing next match.

The attack was simply ineffective in the end.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
If Henderson was the answer, then the question wasn't right.

Red00012

:lol:
look at those tournament trophies stacked up by Southgate over the past 6 years

saivet

I'm always interested to see England against the really big teams. If my memory serves Southgate has been quite lucky with some of the draws he's had as a manager and his best win was against Germany two years ago. Denmark are a very good team obviously but they're not elite level in my opinion, and were more a dark horse. I'd really like to see England play France or Brazil or Spain. England easily has the talent to go toe to toe with these sides but the manager just doesn't convince me.
England, Brazil, France and Spain win their groups it would be France in the QF and I believe the other two would be on the other half of the draw, so potential final opponents if we could get that far.

I'm expecting a QF exit in any case if we meet France.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
We are rubbish. Simple. Lucky to be in a weak group. Likely to get knocked out by our first tough opponent.

All our talent is in forward areas.

We got nobody who can play through midfield. Bellingham is massively overhyped when it comes to ball to feet. He's basically an English Goretzka. He will never be a Kimmich like controller. Rice is a trier but he'll never be Carrick.

Our defenders are fine, if you want to low block. However, the speed at which they progress the ball is glacial. Our full backs create decent overloads but if you cut off the supply...

We just ain't that good. There's a level of team we find it easy to bludgeon. The teams Kane stat pads against. Above that we get shown up.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Manager deserves all the pelters he will get tonight. Was obvious since the 20th min that we didn’t have the optimal XI for the task the US were setting us. Such a high line and we had nobody to run in behind. He brings Rashford on in the 75th or so min and puts him on the right, away from Shaw and his preferred position. Waste of time having Rashford in the squad if you use him like that.

I thought Mount could have been hooked first half and he played 90.

That’s exactly what I feared from England coming into this tournament. Just way too much stodge and not enough pace and running in behind. Everything was in front of the US defence and narrow. When England are crap, they are crap for the same reasons as United.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Southgate has to go at the end of this WC whenever that is for England.

He's overall done well with England in terms of making it to a semi final and then a final but it's very clear he's gone as far as he can and things need to change.

He seems to be getting more negative and cautious each year and he's wasting this generation of amazing attacking talent.
As I've said before, he's too predictable, so opposition know who will play, and how his teams will play, so they set up accordingly. It looked liked they had targeted our right side Trippier and Bellingham, and nearly got some reward, not that I like him much, but Henderson tightened up that side when he came on.
It's also fairly certain that as soon as we get through to last 16, then he will revert to a back three, that will unbalance the team, mind you, we didn't look much like team tonight.

Abraxas

Maybe I'm on my own but I didn't think Henderson was that weird. It was probably designed to get a little bit more of a foot on the ball in midfield as he's an experienced player. I assume that was the rationale. I don't think it was to shut the game off necessarily.

I think how late the subs were and Mount staying on were much more questionable. Also not using our main creative option in Foden off the bench is wasteful.

Djemba-Djemba

As I've said before, he's too predictable, so opposition know who will play, and how his teams will play, so they set up accordingly. It looked liked they had targeted our right side Trippier and Bellingham, and nearly got some reward, not that I like him much, but Henderson tightened up that side when he came on.
It's also fairly certain that as soon as we get through to last 16, then he will revert to a back three, that will unbalance the team, mind you, we didn't look much like team tonight.
If things start to go wrong he has zero ability to change things or make the right subs.

He just sits there and hopes things will improve. He's so reactive.

It was almost the exact same performance as last year against Scotland.

the_cliff

We don't. France, Brazil, Argentina have the best talent.

Then below them you'd have us, Spain and Portugal, although personally, I'd even rate Spain and Portugals talent higher.

I'd consider us on the same level as Germany in terms of actual talent and Musiala is a far better talent than any one we have.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
He should have changed from 4-3-3 at half time. It was comical how deep the midfield was and USA still found space between them and the defense. They were literally walking back towards goal half the time. Pathetic.

Lecland07

We don't. France, Brazil, Argentina have the best talent.

Then below them you'd have us, Spain and Portugal, although personally, I'd even rate Spain and Portugals talent higher.

I'd consider us on the same level as Germany in terms of actual talent and Musiala is a far better talent than any one we have.
Really? I don't think their team is all that great, to be honest.

Valencia Shin Crosses

We are rubbish. Simple. Lucky to be in a weak group. Likely to get knocked out by our first tough opponent.

All our talent is in forward areas.

We got nobody who can play through midfield. Bellingham is massively overhyped when it comes to ball to feet. He's basically an English Goretzka. He will never be a Kimmich like controller. Rice is a trier but he'll never be Carrick.

Our defenders are fine, if you want to low block. However, the speed at which they progress the ball is glacial. Our full backs create decent overloads but if you cut off the supply...

We just ain't that good. There's a level of team we find it easy to bludgeon. The teams Kane stat pads against. Above that we get shown up.
It’s weird because I think the midfield would be better suited to a high line and pushing high up the pitch, but Kane and the two CB’s aren’t great for that.

Am I the only one that thinks Kane is painfully mediocre for England? Can’t remember the last time I watched him and thought he was the clear MOTM

Suedesi

Thanks England for wasting everyone's time. How can anyone like that shite team. Zero excitement, just a dull team for dullards

BerryBerryShrew

England played not to lose as opposed to playing to win which is understandable. Unless Wales beat them by 6 or more goals in the final match they are through.

Abraxas

It’s weird because I think the midfield would be better suited to a high line and pushing high up the pitch, but Kane and the two CB’s aren’t great for that.

Am I the only one that thinks Kane is painfully mediocre for England? Can’t remember the last time I watched him and thought he was the clear MOTM
I thought he had some pretty good hold up play against Iran, but that was the first time in ages I thought he actually played decently. Tonight was back to a par Kane performance.

At the end of the day we need to work around his shortcomings better. He doesn't press well, you have to create for him and we don't seem to compensate for the former or put him on the end of stuff. He's going looking for the ball at times and nobody is even running ahead which is how Spurs have used him over recent years.

antk

I think Reece James would make a world of difference in this team.

Zen86

England have been boring to watch for the last 20 years more or less. It’s in our DNA.

the_cliff

Really? I don't think their team is all that great, to be honest.
Other than Kane I don't think any of our attackers get's into their 11. Bellingham will, Maybe Stones instead of Otamendi, and Luke Shaw for their left back.

If Argentina are considered overrated then I don't know what we are.

Declan Rice imo is one of the most overrated players in the world. Foden is apparently our most 'talented' player and constantly mentioned as the best young player in the world and yet he's never had as good a game for England as he has for City where he's surrounded by Non-English players.

Don't get it twisted I do think we'd be better if we had a better manager but in general I find most of our payers overrated and I think it's probably because of British media overhyping them. I also think we were extremely fortunate in the last 2 competitions to have an easy run to the latter stages and if we didn't win the last Euro's when we were at home, I struggle to see us win anything.

Last edited:

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Maguire played well, happy for him.

Valencia Shin Crosses

I thought he had some pretty good hold up play against Iran, but that was the first time in ages I thought he actually played decently. Tonight was back to a par Kane performance.

At the end of the day we need to work around his shortcomings better. He doesn't press well, you have to create for him and we don't seem to compensate for the former or put him on the end of stuff. He's going looking for the ball at times and nobody is even running ahead which is how Spurs have used him over recent years.
Yeah I mean if anything you’d have Rashford on the left constantly running behind like he does when Martial drops deeper, and have a midfield runner as well to threaten a backline as well. Instead it’s just a bunch of guys wanting the ball to their feet, and then playing it back to Shaw/Tripper to cross in.

Howl

My problem with the team today is it looks like Southgate watched city of a few years ago when they had David Silva and KDB in midfield playing the half spaces and thought my team can do that. However, he doesn't seem to have seen the intricacies with the fullbacks coming into the midfield to help progress the ball or the midfielders working extra hard off the ball. So we had all the possession in the world in defense but had no-one looking to help progress the play like how Dalot does for us. Couple that with Rice hiding from the ball we never got going offensively. We are in desperate need of a better coach, which is why its a shame we didn't jump on Eddie Howe when he left Bournemouth.

TheGame

It’s all well and good having your favourites but it means in form players at club level like Foden and Maddison don’t get a look it. No use made of the extra subs whilst USA made them all. What is the point of the squad. Ironically it was the defence we were worried about but it was the attacking players who were poor in this game.

The Purley King

If mount starts the next game I will puke.
Entirely anonymous and was far from impressive vs Iran.

sterling, mount and saka were so poor today they should all have been hooked after 45……
Grealish, foden, rashford should start vs wales.
cantkeep rewarding suchsubstandard effort.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Southgate and the myth he is not a typical England manager picking the same old names is what's holding them back.

It's dumb as feck to claim the squad isn't at least competitive and shouldn't be up there at this tournament. Not world beaters for me, but certainly better than the dross that boring twat has them playing because he doesn't have a spine.

hp88

He needs to be a bit adventurous against Wales, he has the squad to hammer them but we will probably get scrape a 2-1 win.

sport2793

Am so mad that Rashford doesn't play more, really one of the few willing to have a go.

El Zoido

Southgate is godawful. If by some miracle we win the WC, maybe I’ll be eating my words, but he’s got the shackles on the whole squad.