England women's team | Sarina Wiegman to replace Phil Neville in 2021

SwedishFish

Bit weird that you'd announce it this far ahead, also hasn't Phil Neville done a good job with the England team? Is he on the way to bigger things or why this sudden change of managers?

lifted

Bit weird that you'd announce it this far ahead, also hasn't Phil Neville done a good job with the England team? Is he on the way to bigger things or why this sudden change of managers?
Results have nosedived considerably and he announced he was stepping down in April.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
His contract runs through to next July. Neither he nor England were interested in renewal. Had the calendar run as scheduled he'd be leaving having led the GB team at the Olympics this summer, and England at the Euros next year. With the whole calendar shredded I think it's focused the minds of the FA, and presumably of Neville as well - hence looking for someone early.

On the how he's done - I doubt many people reckon he's done much to improve the team. Some promising signs, but too many things that looked clueless. Behind the scenes maybe he's improved things - particularly on the media handling front etc? On the pitch, not really.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Good statement of intent to get the Euro winning manager and World Cup finalist in charge.

I do wonder what is next for Neville, probably back to coaching in mens football?

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I'm quite curious how Wiegman will do. She has been great for the Netherlands, instilling a real style and strong tactics in the team. Good, possession-based football with attacking intent but also pragmatic. We'll see now how much that depended on the Dutch group of players, but in theory, it's a great appointment for England.

The other way round, it will also be interesting to see where the Netherlands go now. Recent results have been unprecedented and well beyond anything anyone would have hoped for, so that sets heavy expectations on Wiegman's successor. In any case, I hope they appoint another woman: I'm sure there is great talent out there, and given the high profile of the job, it's a great example for women and girls in the sport.

Last edited:

Grande

I'm quite curious how Wiegman will do. She has been great for the Netherlands, instilling a real style and strong tactics in the team. Good, possession-based football with attacking intent but also pragmatic. We'll see now how much that dependant on the Dutch group of players, but in theory, it's a great appointment for England.

The other way round, it will also be interesting to see where the Netherlands go now. Recent results have been unprecedented and well beyond anything anyone would have hoped for, so that sets heavy expectations on Wiegman's successor. In any case, I hope they appoint another woman: I'm sure there is great talent out there, and given the high profile of the job, it's a great example for women and girls in the sport.
Good for England. Netherland has been a great watch at times under Wiegman. Of course they have a few very good players, but so has England. Phil did an ok job for a while, but like his big brother, he is neither a great tactician nor a great leader of (wo)men.

Means Casey staying United long term. Good news hopefully for both teams.
Phew! Was what I feared, so great relief!

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Just out of curiosity, is this the first female coach for England?

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
England women's first full-time coach was Hope Powell (now manager of Brighton women). She was in charge for about 15 years, then Mark Sampson took over in 2013. Mo Marley took over for a few months after Sampson got sacked.
OK, thanks.

In an ideal world, it shouldn't matter either way; but since there are no women managing in men's football, I'd say that they should at least get their chances in women's football.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Massive props to Wiegman and the women’s team for their victory. Something we can all get behind and no small feat. The talk of her replacing Southgate is completely preposterous of course. This might be about the peak of women’s football, but it’s still light years behind the mens game tactically, and physically. The demands in the mens game almost make it a different sport. It’s like saying that United should hire the manager that won the Championship because surely he’s better than the manager that didn’t win the premier league. Complete nonsense.

It almost angers me, because to say it you have to look as though you are disparaging the women’s game or Wiegman herself. Which couldn’t be further from the truth. But a much more rational result from this tournament is to say that female coaches should be given more opportunities in the men’s game, and if/when they do well, a shot at the top jobs.

Furthermore, as unpopular as Southgate is, he just took us to a World Cup semi final, which he lost in ET, and the Euro final where he lost on penalties. He’s coached England to their best succession of tournament placings since the 60s.

Grande

Our kid Phil would have won it better. He laid the foundations of all this anyway.
Yeah, that’s a laugh :)

Sarina Wiegman has now won the EC twice on the trot with two different National Teams, that’s got to be some sort of record. She’s done it because she has the intelligence and nuanced grip on what kind of tactical approaches and leadership styles are the most effective in women’s football as of today - a bit of a revolution, if you ask me. Looking at how Germany played this year, I’m guessing we’ll have more revolutionary changes in the years to come.

Imagine our pal Phil on revolutionary coaching :D

Lyng

Massive props to Wiegman and the women’s team for their victory. Something we can all get behind and no small feat. The talk of her replacing Southgate is completely preposterous of course. This might be about the peak of women’s football, but it’s still light years behind the mens game tactically, and physically.
Physically maybe, but what does that have to do with Wiegman vs Southgate? I have no doubt she would do a better job than him.
Southgate is about the level of Ole.

Graveyard

Coincidence that both countries she won with were hosting the tournament?

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Coincidence that both countries she won with were hosting the tournament?
no. i’ve done my research and there are a lot of coincidences between both that dutch side and this england side that can’t really be explained. like how they both won the final on the last day of the tournament.

GlasgowCeltic

The players knew Phil was crap, can remember reading an Alex Scott article about it