England's best right back?

Mr.Ridiculous__

The name says it all
Has anyone noticed how strong the English team is at the Right Back position? Kyle Walker, Trippier, TAA, AwB etc

Who's the best of the lot? And is it England's strongest ever set in that role?

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Alexander-Arnold, quite clearly.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Forgot Reece James.

Him and Trent should be the fullbacks in the squad going forward.

scoi

TAA as first choice by a long way at this point. AWB as a bench option if a single goal lead needs defending.

United58

I wonder will we see AWB as a RCB and TAA as a RWB going forward in 3-5-2 games?

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Alexander Arnold is the best attacking full back by a distance. Not sure about him as a defender though. Wan Bissaka is the best defender by a mile, but he's lacking in attack, bar a few glimpses. Both have a lot to improve on in defence and attack respectively.

Walker is the best all round full back, though I don't think he is particularly outstanding at either attacking or defending.

I'd quite like to see Wan Bissaka in the RCB role that Walker often plays for England in a back 3. His attributes suggest he's the best candidate for it.

I haven't seen any of Trippier in Spain, but hes never looked convincing for club or country prior IMO. A good striker of the ball, takes a mean dead ball, but his game is generally lacking. Reece James should be in the conversation ahead of him now.

passing-wind

TAA is quality and the best amoungst those individuals but AWB is the best defensively. I think TAA would be able to play comfortably in the midfield too, he's got such a vast amount of quality in the ball he's almost nullified being used in the flanks. Should play as a no 8 imo I think he played centre midfield in the youth ranks ?

DVG7

England should adopt a 4-4-2 with AWB at RB and TAA at RM

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
No thanks. England has arguably the best front three in the world. Disrupting that to play a RB out of position doesn't really float.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Would potentially leave out one of their top wingers like sancho, rashford etc...

awb should be nowhere near the england team atm. Taa at rb and sancho at rm would be far better in a 442.

mu4c_20le

AWB at right back, TAA to DM. Rice back to Ireland, problem solved

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
You don't rate Reece? I can't wait to hear this!
How can anyone seriously rate someone with only 10 PL appearances to his name? Certainly when comparing them to someone like Walker

I did see James today and thought he was poor though, not that that's anything to go by because judging him negatively based on one game is just as mental as saying his should be picked over every other English RB bar TAA

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I wonder will we see AWB as a RCB and TAA as a RWB going forward in 3-5-2 games?
He's hardly suited to this role at this point, despite his height and physical strength. Not every defensive right back can seamlessly play as a wide center back — and Wan-Bissaka one and only outstanding ability is an ability to isolate the winger near the line and tackle him when he has nowhere to go. A center back, even a wide one in a back three, is defending much wider space and doesn't have the line there to assist him. Wan-Bissaka's tackling and defending was a bit hit and miss at the times when he found himself centrally (the Watford penalty would be the last example of this).

Walker had been playing that role for much longer, so maybe him? Although I'm not the biggest fan of him in a back 3 either.

M Bison

Supports
York City
TAA is a different league to the others. I suspect he’d be the best CM in England’s squad if played there. Class act.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
How can anyone seriously rate someone with only 10 PL appearances to his name? Certainly when comparing them to someone like Walker

I did see James today and thought he was poor though, not that that's anything to go by because judging him negatively based on one game is just as mental as saying his should be picked over every other English RB bar TAA
If I'm honest i did say it on the assumption Walkers exile is permanent but still...

He played in the most successful academy side for generations and not only that, stood out above everyone else, including CHO.

He then went to Wigan and was that good fans widely regard him as their best ever player, bare in mind this is a club who were established in the PL for almost a decade and made two cup finals, if there was any doubt fans would side with players who made history with the club. Also his spell there attracted interest from United.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...ce-james-ashley-young-epl-table-a8882361.html

He's played four different positions in recent years (RB, RCB, RWB and CM) and has maintained stupidly high levels of performance regardless.

While he has had a few iffy games for us (today wasn't one of them though) he has also had really top games like when his arrival Vs Ajax helped transform the game and then pocketed Zaha four days later. I am very confident once he gets more upto speed (had a bad injury in the summer) he will hit the heights expected.

If someone who could see the future told me only one of our academy lads would hit a world class level I would bet every penny I have on it being him, he's an absolute gem of a player.

charlenefan

If I'm honest i did say it on the assumption Walkers exile is permanent but still...

He played in the most successful academy side for generations and not only that, stood out above everyone else, including CHO.

He then went to Wigan and was that good fans widely regard him as their best ever player, bare in mind this is a club who were established in the PL for almost a decade and made two cup finals, if there was any doubt fans would side with players who made history with the club. Also his spell there attracted interest from United.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...ce-james-ashley-young-epl-table-a8882361.html

He's played four different positions in recent years (RB, RCB, RWB and CM) and has maintained stupidly high levels of performance regardless.

While he has had a few iffy games for us (today wasn't one of them though) he has also had really top games like when his arrival Vs Ajax helped transform the game and then pocketed Zaha four days later. I am very confident once he gets more upto speed (had a bad injury in the summer) he will hit the heights expected.

If someone who could see the future told me only one of our academy lads would hit a world class level I would bet every penny I have on it being him, he's an absolute gem of a player.
You can spout all the propaganda you want it's still mental to say he's the one that should go to the Euros ahead of every other English RB bar TAA but like I said you Chelsea lot aren't good with objectivity

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
You can spout all the propaganda you want it's still mental to say he's the one that should go to the Euros ahead of every other English RB bar TAA but like I said you Chelsea lot aren't good with objectivity
I take it for the sake of consistency you were equally outraged when Rashford was called up for Euro16 then?

charlenefan

I take it for the sake of consistency you were equally outraged when Rashford was called up for Euro16 then?
I don't recall, I've certainly stated on here I don't want Greenwood to be called up though when people starting asking that question

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Put it this way: if Walker, Trippier and AWB did the dbz fusion dance, the resulting player would still be worse than TAA

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
AWB is the best defensive RB of the lot, by some margin. TAA is the best overall RB by a bigger margin.

F-A-C-T-S

------AWB---Gomez---Maguire

TAA--Henderson--Rice--Chilwell

----Sancho-----------Sterling

------------------Kane

Would want to see that tried out.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
TAA is the best RB in the world, never mind best in England.

AWB getting overrated as usual. Southgate permanently dropped Smalling for sucking with the ball, why on earth would he pick a far bigger coward with the ball at full back? Big teams aspiring to win trophies in modern football don't carry passengers in their starting XI.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
5-2-3/3-4-3.

Chilwell and TAA on the flanks.
AWB, Maguire and Gomez at the back.
Hendo and someone else in midfield. needs to be able to carry water but could be more offensively minded than Henderson. So not Dier/Rice, but could maybe be Winks. Maybe even Mount or Foden, if they work hard at it.
Kane, Sterling and Sancho up front.

Soz to guys like Maddison and Grealish who need a midfield three to strut their stuff.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Offensively TAA

Defensively AWB

Middle ground Walker/Trippier.

A nice set of options but who would be the best in a tournament setting? I think if England stuck to the 4-2-3-1 with Sancho/Sterling as wingers then maybe AWB would be the better option.

If we want to play 3-4-3 or are heavy favourites then you'd be silly not to choose TAA in the form he is in.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Offensively TAA

Defensively AWB

Middle ground Walker/Trippier.
There's a bit of a false premise in there though, in that it's not like you just weigh up attack and defence equally and then see who scores well in each department.

I am exaggerating for effect here, but if Messi insisted on playing rightback, you'd still play him there ahead of anyone no matter how shit he is defensively and he'd still be the best fullback in the world
purely based on his attacking output.

You'd have problems if some plogger of a manager asked him to hang back in a bank of four and focus on defending of course, but that's more about the management.

Adam-Utd

There's a bit of a false premise in there though, in that it's not like you just weigh up attack and defence equally and then see who scores well in each department.

I am exaggerating for effect here, but if Messi insisted on playing rightback, you'd still play him there ahead of anyone no matter how shit he is defensively and he'd still be the best fullback in the world
purely based on his attacking output.

You'd have problems if some plogger of a manager asked him to hang back in a bank of four and focus on defending of course, but that's more about the management.
Would he though? he doesn't carry Argentina by himself playing in his favoured position, i'd say having Messi at right back people would be very happy.

Obviously it's not as cut and dry as that, but Trent is a bad defender IMO. People get passed him way too easily and he's often covered by Liverpools centre backs. Will he have that luxury in an English team? no I don't think so.

Put it this way against Portugal would you rather Ronaldo V Trent, or Walker/AWB?

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Would he though? he doesn't carry Argentina by himself playing in his favoured position, i'd say having Messi at right back people would be very happy.

Obviously it's not as cut and dry as that, but Trent is a bad defender IMO. People get passed him way too easily and he's often covered by Liverpools centre backs. Will he have that luxury in an English team? no I don't think so.

Put it this way against Portugal would you rather Ronaldo V Trent, or Walker/AWB?
TAA, with ease.

He's not a bad defender. Just not a top class one either.

saivet

Definitely Trent and I'd say Walker after but Southgate seems to fancy Trippier too.

Though I was thinking about England at left back and if one of those can play left back? Southgate could just bring three natural right backs as there is a definite lack of quality/depth on the left side.

Adam-Utd

TAA, with ease.

He's not a bad defender. Just not a top class one either.
Fair enough. He's obviously the best footballer of the lot but i'm just not convinced enough of him in an England shirt yet. Hopefully he gets trusted more by Southgate and we can see how he fares against tougher opposition.