England's best XI

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
With almost everyone not being a fan of the 3-4-3 and many questioning whether Southgate is the man for the job, how do you want to see England line-up going forward?

Pope or Henderson
TAA - Gomez - Maguire - Chilwell
Henderson - Rice
Sancho or Rashford - Grealish - Sterling
Kane

Subs - Pope or Henderson, Mings, Walker, Phillips or Winks, Mount or Foden, Sancho or Rashford, DCL​

Patchbeard

There is a bit of a conundrum in that there are 3 potentially great players who all play as a LF for their clubs in Rashford, Sterling and Grealish. Sterling has been tried as a No.10 for England and is pants in tight areas, whilst Rashford is nowhere as effective on the right.

Seeing as Sancho hasn't really set the world alight in his international career as yet, whereas Grealish needs to be shoehorned in now, I think it makes more sense to try Sterling on right (where he used to play for City whenever Sane played on the left), Rashford on the left, and Grealish in the middle.

Still, I would probably still struggle to get excited about the national team due to my personal dislike of Kane, Henderson and Pickford, but that's for me to get over...

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

There is a bit of a conundrum in that there are 3 potentially great players who all play as a LF for their clubs in Rashford, Sterling and Grealish. Sterling has been tried as a No.10 for England and is pants in tight areas, whilst Rashford is nowhere as effective on the right.

Seeing as Sancho hasn't really set the world alight in his international career as yet, whereas Grealish needs to be shoehorned in now, I think it makes more sense to try Sterling on right (where he used to play for City whenever Sane played on the left), Rashford on the left, and Grealish in the middle.

Still, I would probably still struggle to get excited about the national team due to my personal dislike of Kane, Henderson and Pickford, but that's for me to get over...
Henderson and Pickford I understand, but why Kane?

Patchbeard

Henderson and Pickford I understand, but why Kane?
Still can't get over the childish "I swear on my daughters life, it's my goal" shambles from a few years ago.

To be fair he comes across reasonably on the Spurs documentary, although I still find his "team talks" lacked a little in substance...

bsCallout

The one where Scholes, Gerrard and Lampard all played together and it worked.

Still salty.

Bwuk

I think for the majority of sides England face something like this

Henderson
Trent - Gomez - Maguire - Chilwell
Henderson
Grealish - Foden
Sterling - Kane - Rashford​

Maybe against better sides bring in Declan Rice for Foden.

bsCallout

Glad i'm not the only one.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Not Pickford in net.

Four at the back... our CB's are about as good as each other so I don't think it really matters which two you go for in the middle... TAA or James at RB (TAA is the better player but James has looked better for England?) and Chilwell at left back

Henderson and Rice or Phillips in the middle... basically just there to defend and play simple passes. Against poor sides you just need Henderson or one of the others and can play Foden or Mount instead.

Grealish as you're attacking midfleider with Rashford left and Sterling right (and Sancho ready to displace any) ... the 3 of them can swap around to the hearts content.

Kane up front.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
GK
Sancho - Henderson - Grealish - Sterling
Kane - Rashford
Looks fun too if you're not committed to a 4-3-3 per se. Maybe move Grealish a line forward to circle around Kane and have a more defensive minded CM next to Henderson in tough games.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

GK
Sancho - Henderson - Grealish - Sterling
Kane - Rashford
Looks fun too if you're not committed to a 4-3-3 per se. Maybe move Grealish a line forward to circle around Kane and have a more defensive minded CM next to Henderson in tough games.
Massive ask for Henderson that. Would only work against shit teams. Would be extremely entertaining though.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Massive ask for Henderson that. Would only work against shit teams. Would be extremely entertaining though.
He's done well as the most defensive midfielder in our midfield but that's of course with 2 other midfielders and very hard-working ones too. Not sure if he could handle the position with only someone like Grealish next to him indeed.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

He's done well as the most defensive midfielder in our midfield but that's of course with 2 other midfielders and very hard-working ones too. Not sure if he could handle the position with only someone like Grealish next to him indeed.
It would work great against a shit team with nothing going forward. Against any decent team we'd be in trouble whenever we turnover possession because Grealish, Sancho and Sterling are all attacking players and TAA and Chilwell are both attacking fullbacks. Henderson and the centre backs would have to do all the defensive work.

Web of Bissaka

1st Choices
Dean
Henderson - Rice
Mount
Rashford - Kane - Sterling

2nd Choices
Pope
James - Walker - Mings - Saka
Winks - Dier
Foden
Sancho - DCL - Grealish

Alternatives: Abraham, Jude, etc

Seems no brainer 433 could be their best system. Need two CDMs to protect their fragile defenses. People hate Southgate's 343 system but really it's to cover their shit defenses while still maintaining their good forwards, and in fact bringing out the best of their attacking FBs.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

1st Choices
Dean
Henderson - Rice
Mount
Rashford - Kane - Sterling

2nd Choices
Pope
James - Walker - Mings - Saka
Winks - Dier
Foden
Sancho - DCL - Grealish

Alternatives: Abraham, Jude, etc

Seems no brainer 433 could be their best system. Need two CDMs to protect their fragile defenses. People hate Southgate's 343 system but really it's to cover their shit defenses while still maintaining their good forwards, and in fact bringing out the best of their attacking FBs.
Mount over Grealish? You're entitled to your opinion but what's the reasoning there?

Ballache

Supports
Martial
--------------Henderson---------------
TAA-Maguire-Gomez-Chilwell
-----------Rice--Henderson----------
Sterling----Grealish----Rashford
-------------------Kane--------------------

Good balance in midfield with Grealish being the main creative outlet. Fullbacks can provide the width allowing Sterling and Rashford to play narrow and closer to goal.
Honestly this England team should be playing much better football than they've been showing lately.
They have excellent depth too with the likes of DCL, James, Keane, Sancho, Mount....

Web of Bissaka

Mount over Grealish? You're entitled to your opinion but what's the reasoning there?
Not sure Grealish fits CAM, felt like ages last time seeing him there with Villa.. if he does play at CAM, won't he drift too much to the LW?
The system that I'm thinking is to have someone sits at the #10 and passing the ball around relying on the front three to do the damages, Mount seems the most fitting.

But the actual main reason is the 2nd team don't really have any good LW left with Sancho on RW :lol: so I figured erm might as well put Grealish there.

ThinkTank@Cafe

--------------Henderson---------------
TAA-Maguire-Gomez-Chilwell
-----------Rice--Henderson----------
Sterling----Grealish----Rashford
-------------------Kane--------------------

Good balance in midfield with Grealish being the main creative outlet. Fullbacks can provide the width allowing Sterling and Rashford to play narrow and closer to goal.
Honestly this England team should be playing much better football than they've been showing lately.
They have excellent depth too with the likes of DCL, James, Keane, Sancho, Mount....
This. Great balance. Hard to break and able to commit 7 quality players in attack. Henderson box to box, Rice - holding.

Josh 76

Henderson
Henderson
Grealish - Foden

This

Havak

Pokemon master
At the moment, I think I would still say this:

Pope
Alexander-Arnold Gomez Maguire Chilwell
Henderson Rice
Sterling Grealish Rashford
Kane​

Picking the best England squad is difficult enough though, let alone the first XI. Certain positions are much easier than others in my opinion though.

Alexander-Arnold, Maguire, Chilwell, Rice, and Kane are probably as close to certs as we can get for most games, probably Gomez too when we look at the remaining CBs even though I don't think he's amazing - but he does compliment Magurie the best. This will probably be a somewhat unpopular opinion from me, but I reckon that if England wants to win something (provided they fail to win Euro 2021 as expected) then the following need to be removed from the England starting XI and maybe squad all together: Pickford, Walker, Dier, J.Henderson, and probably Southgate sacked as the manager as well.

The goalkeping situation is a strange one, I'll admit Pickford hasn't been that bad for England but I am sure he will be more of a liability than Pope or D.Henderson in the future.

There are some great full backs at the moment, but I think Walker is coming to a point where he should focus on playing for just Man City. I always feel like he is going to give something away despite how good he is (probably underrated to be honest). There's just so much competition in that area, I think he is going to be the one to miss out with Trent preferred as the attacking full back and Wan-Bissaka/James preferred as the better defender. Assuming the back three is dropped, his utility becomes even worse so he is one of the easier players to remove when trying to create a tournament squad. On the other side we have Chilwell, Trippier, Saka... The latter two in particular have the adaptability and can play either side. So, if I was picking five full backs for England just in case, I'd be going with: Alexander-Arnold, Wan-Bissaka, Chilwell, Saka, and Trippier at this moment in time. Reece James will definitely stake a claim while there are some other good fullbacks who will be in the argument I'm sure, notably Maitland-Niles & Shaw.

I don't have much to say on the CBs as Maguire, Gomez, Mings, and Keane seem like the only four in the argument. I don't see a stand-out fifth so I'd be tempted to just use Rice as cover if there were multiple injuries to save a space in the squad.

I know Henderson will never be left out, but I think England should persist with trying to bank on Rice, Phillips and Winks as the deeper midfield choices after the Euros. Henderson will play as he's the most experienced and plays in a great Liverpool side, I just don't see him bringing enough for much longer. He's lucky England doesn't have a massive selection of quality central midfield players and it is what will hold the national team back the most. It feels a bit like United at the moment, almost needing to play two players who probably aren't the quality you're looking for but provide a much better balance to the side when they play. I'm hopeful that the three players I mentioned develop well enough to be those guys when needed, but I am almost hoping that England can find a way to use just one of them most of the time and mould the likes of Grealish, Mount, and Foden into a system much like how Man City played with De Bruyne & Silva ahead of Fernandinho. I'm hopeful that Rice can be that DM with two of those guys ahead of him in a 433/4123. Of course, if England play one of the big teams then you replace an offensive midfield player for a more defensively solid one. In the near future, my six in the squad is most likely to be: Rice, Phillips, Winks, Grealish, Mount, and Foden. However, you have to give a chance to the likes of Maddison & Ward-Prowse as well, but I think they're more likely to make the squad over a forward if one of them is not performing, rather than replacing one of the six I mentioned already.

Forwards is very interesting but difficult as there's only 23 places in an International Squad for some reason (I personally think it should be 25 even if you can only name 11 subs). If I am to go with what I have said so far, I would be picking 9 Defenders and 6 Midfielders, along with the 3 goalkeepers making 18. That leaves room for only 5 Forwards. Kane, Rashford, Sterling & Sancho are pretty much a given to me. That means I'd have to pick one from Calvert-Lewin, Greenwood, Ings, Hudson-Odoi and quite a few others who I'm forgetting and that's with already leaving out certain players. It's such a hard choice between Calvert-Lewin & Greenwood mainly, but I'd probably give the nod to Dominic right now. It would feel odd not taking Greenwood, but he'll probably have to surpass last season's form if he is to go.

This is what I think Southgate is likely to pick though:

GK: N.Pope, D.Henderson, J.Pickford
DF: T.Alexander-Arnold, K.Walker, B.Chilwell, K.Trippier, B.Saka; H.Maguire, J.Gomez, T.Mings, M.Keane
MF: J.Henderson, D.Rice, E.Dier, P.Foden, M.Mount
FW: H.Kane, M.Rashford, R.Sterling, J.Sancho, J.Grealish, D.Calvert-Lewin

SiRed

Pickford
Wan Bissaka - Maguire - Shaw
TAA Chilwell
Henderson - Dier
Sancho Rashford Grealish

JNicholas

Supports
Arsenal
Bukayo Saka created the most chances for England last night (3), despite coming on for Chilwell and was MOTM in the other game.

He should be starting, or at least on the bench.

marktan

With almost everyone not being a fan of the 3-4-3 and many questioning whether Southgate is the man for the job, how do you want to see England line-up going forward?

Pope or Henderson
Henderson - Rice
Sancho or Rashford - Grealish - Sterling
Kane

Subs - Pope or Henderson, Mings, Walker, Phillips or Winks, Mount or Foden, Sancho or Rashford, DCL​
Very similar to yours, though the debatable choices for me would be M. Keane instead of Gomez, and quite a few players in Rice's position (Mount, Winks, Barkley etc). Though Rice being a DM does give him the edge. I agree on no Pickford - just a shame Deano isn't at a club where he'd be starting each week as he can't claim the no.1 spot elsewise. I suspect it'll be Pickford starting with Pope on the bench.

I think a front four shouldn't be played as it's a little too attacking, given that both full backs are quite attack minded too. I'd set it up with a the front 6 like this instead, with Rashford coming off the bench:

Henderson / Pope
TAA - Keane/Gomez - Maguire - Chilwell
Henderson - Rice - Grealish
Sancho - Kane - Sterling
Which would be more defensively solid as Grealish would be track back more, but that now has the downside of having Grealish further away from goal which is a minus, but he has played CM for Villa before and you really want him on the pitch regardless of where. That front 6 is probably the best we can field if everyone's fit. Given the quality of the 2 full backs that would really give us a chance to beat any top team head on.

JNicholas

Supports
Arsenal
If England play with wing backs he's almost certainly second choice now.
I hope so. Admittedly I'm an Arsenal supporter of 25+ years, so I am emotionally invested when it comes to Saka and England. What I must say though is that he is the BEST talent to come from the academy in my lifetime. Better than Ashley Cole, Wilshere and Fabregas at that age.

I'm all for wing backs, as long as they are given license to push on and the back 3 can provide good cover.

With Saka, Chilwell, James, Lamptey etc it would be almost criminal to not use wing backs!

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

Henderson
Henderson
Grealish - Foden

That would be my team as well (swap Grealish and Foden).

slored1

Henderson
Walker-Maguire-Dier-Chilwell
Rice
Henderson-Mount
Sancho-Kane-Grealish

BlackShark_80

Based on the current forms:
Pope
James - Maguire - Mings - Chilwell
Henderson
Foden - Mount
Sterling - Kane - Grealish

RooneyLegend

-----Grealish--Kane--Sterling-------
----------------Maddison------------------
-------Henderson--Rice----------------
Chilwell-Gomes-Tomori-Walker
----------------------Pope-------------------

meamth

Kane behind Rashford as playmaker,

Sterling on left, Sancho on rhe right.

--------------------Rashford---------------------
Sterling------------Kane-------------Sancho

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Henderson

TAA — Gomez — Maguire — Chilwell

Dier/Rice/Henderson/My Nan

Foden ————Grealish

Sancho ——————————Sterling

Kane​

Defensive shield is a huge problem. I actually think James Milner may be the best option there. He’s better than My Nan after all.

Sterling is better than Rashford. Rashford may get the nod on form come tournament time, but he’s second choice to both Sterling and Kane right now.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
------------------------------Pope------------------------------
TAA-----------Maguire------Mings-------------Shaw
------------Henderson------Rice-----------------------
------------------------Graelish--------------------------
Sterling--------------Kane------------------Rashford

Subs: Henderson, Chillwell, AWB, Gomes, Sancho, Calvert-Lewin, Foden

I have no idea what this Mason Mount obsession is that the manager has. He is a decent player but that's it. Luckily in international football you can have more than 7 subs on the bench so he will still get to dress, but he really isn't that good...

Cloud7

---------For the love of God find someone better than Pickford----------
Walker-------Gomez-------Maguire-------Chillwell
-------------------Henderson--------Rice--------------------
-------------Sterling---------Graelish-----------Rashford-------
----------------------------------Kane------------------------------

Given what we've seen thus far Sancho has no reason to be a default pick in the team. Sterling should be quite functional on the right, and his finishing is abysmal so it's not like England would be losing out much from him not being able to cut in and finish. Rice/Dier depending on form.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Henderson

TAA — Gomez — Maguire — Chilwell

Dier/Rice/Henderson/My Nan

Foden ————Grealish

Sancho ——————————Sterling

Kane​

Defensive shield is a huge problem. I actually think James Milner may be the best option there. He’s better than My Nan after all.

Sterling is better than Rashford. Rashford may get the nod on form come tournament time, but he’s second choice to both Sterling and Kane right now.
Rashford is better than Sancho. Looks better for England as least. Sterling right, Rashford left.

dbs235

Pickford
James Gomez Maguire Chilwell
Henderson
Grealish Foden
Sterling Kane Rashford

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Anyone picking Pickford is insane. He’s a brain fart away from going out of a tournament.

He shouldn’t be in the squad.

Impulse

Pope
James - Coady - Maguire - Chilwell
Phillips
Mount - Grealish

Last edited:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Still can't get over the childish "I swear on my daughters life, it's my goal" shambles from a few years ago.

To be fair he comes across reasonably on the Spurs documentary, although I still find his "team talks" lacked a little in substance...
Is muttering swear words and "come on", not motivating enough for you?

Lay

Weird seeing so many pick Pickford. He makes errors almost every game.

Sancho has done little so far, no way does he get ahead of Sterling or Rashford

Lee565

-------------------Henderson
--------Walker-Maguire-shaw
-taa-----rice--maddison-----saka
--------------------grealish
----------------kane---rashford

I know there is media love in with Jordan henderson but I think he excels purely based on the brilliance of klopp and fitting perfectly within the system. I dont see the recent hate for 3 at the back, I can remember such a formation fondly back during the time hoddle was in charge.