Jezpeza

For me based on current form and fitness:

Henderson

James Stones Maguire Shaw

Rice
Mount. Foden

Sterling Kane Rashford

On the bench somehow

Pope TAA Gomez Tarkowski Chilwell Greenwood Sancho Calvert Lewin Grealish Henderson

This is the best pool of players I can remember us having for a long time, still think we’ll manage to not win ought

Dante

Average bang
I'm gonna go a bit extreme.

Centreback is our weakest position. Wingback, creative midfield and attack are our strongest positions. So maybe we should lean into those qualities and throw caution to the wind.

First XI:
Henderson

James---Maguire---Shaw

TAA------Mount---------Foden------Saka

Sancho---Kane---Grealish

Second XI:
Pickford

Walker---Stones---Rice

Trippier-----Phillips---------Henderson-----Chilwell

Sterling---DCL---Rashford

With the LCBs and RCBs frequently pushing forward into midfield or on the wing.

Last edited:

Andy_Cole

Henderson
TAA Maguire Stones Shaw
Henderson Rice
Graelish
Sancho Kane Rashford

The only players for me who should possibly be making that eleven is Sterling, Foden, Lingard (on current form), Mount, Pope. No one else I can think of. Hope Mason makes the squad as he’s hitting form. AWB too. Squad players of Calvert Lewin, Phillips will be valuable assets too.

Edit: just remembered Maddison and Barnes who should be making the squad too!

Lynty

----------------------- Henderson -----------------------

TAA -------- Stones ------- Maguire -------- Shaw

---------------------- Rice ------ Mount ----------------

Sancho ------------- Grealish ----------- Sterling

---------------------------- Kane------------------------------

Henderson, Rashford and Foden as the go to subs.

man united 4eva

I could see the following England line-up scoring goals against any team:

Henderson

Walker Stones Maguire Shaw

Rice

Mount Foden

Sterling Kane Rashford

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
I'm gonna go a bit extreme.

Centreback is our weakest position.
Says a lot about the quality of the England squad when the United captain combined with a starter for one of the best teams in the world is the weakest position. Your right back and forward options are ridiculous.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Carragher was quite annoying to watch last night. I usually prefer his analysis or delivery to Neville's but he was borderline childish here.

I disagree with them both having Sterling as a cert, I think that position should be up for grabs. I'm torn about leaving Reece James at home. Ordinarily I'd think he's done enough to be on the plane but we have an abundance of RB's and I can fully accept the arguments for going with Walker/TAA.

If Henderson doesn't play another game for Liverpool this season, he's not on the plane for me. Not interested in squeezing in/rushing back injured/recently injured players.

Last edited:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Carragher was quite annoying to watch last night. I usually prefer his analysis or delivery to Neville's but he was borderline childing here.

I disagree with them both having Sterling as a cert, I think that position should be up for grabs. I'm torn about leaving Reece James at home. Ordinarily I'd think he's done enough to be on the plane but we have an abundance of RB's and I can fully accept the arguments for going with Walker/TAA.

If Henderson doesn't play another game for Liverpool this season, he's not on the plane for me. Not interested in squeezing in/rushing back injured/recently injured players.
Aye. Don't fully agree with their teams, but Neville's response to the Southgate/Trent question was well evidenced and robust, yet Carragher couldn't accept it without getting all personally wounded about any criticism coming Trent's way.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Carragher was quite annoying to watch last night. I usually prefer his analysis or delivery to Neville's but he was borderline childish here.

Unless something drastic happens, I think James is almost certain to go.

Ultimately Southgate really likes him and doesn't like TAA as much.

I actually think James is more of a lock then Luke Shaw.

Walters_19_MuFc

I think James will go but I wouldnt say he is more guaranteed than Shaw, simply because there's much more competition in the right back position in comparison to the left. We literally only have Shaw and Chilwell.

Regards James, he can play wing back and full back quite well, which I think is what gives him the edge over TAA. As for Walker, he can come in as a centre back in a three.

I wouldnt take three right backs, but I have a feeling Gareth could take Trippier due to him being able to fill in both left and right back.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I think James will go but I wouldnt say he is more guaranteed than Shaw, simply because there's much more competition in the right back position in comparison to the left. We literally only have Shaw and Chilwell.

Regards James, he can play wing back and full back quite well, which I think is what gives him the edge over TAA. As for Walker, he can come in as a centre back in a three.

I wouldnt take three right backs, but I have a feeling Gareth could take Trippier due to him being able to fill in both left and right back.
Also what I have a feeling of... I think Gareth played his hand vs. Poland that Chilwell is his first choice LB so I worry that he'll just use Trippier (who he also likes) as his second choice LB.

I do think both James and Shaw will go though.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

I just think taking 3 RB's is a bit much, so in my head it'll have to be two of Walker, James and TAA and it wouldn't shock me if James lost that battle.

Luke Shaw is one of the in form LB's in Europe. Unless something drastic happens, I think he and Chilwell are both certs to go.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
--------------------Pickford------------
Walker-------Maguire---Stones---Shaw
--------Rice---Henderson---Phillips-----------
--------Sterling----Kane---Rashford----------

Certainly not a line-up that would generally 'wow' the masses but I believes it's our most balanced and compact side.

Pickle85

Certainly not a line-up that would generally 'wow' the masses but I believes it's our most balanced and compact side.
Similar to mine, though I'd swap out Pickford for Pope (I know he's not dropped and clangers for England but I just don't trust him at all), Walker for TAA (assuming he can play his way back into form - he's been woeful this year), Grealish for Rashford and Mount or Foden for Phillips. I think Rice, Henderson and Phillips is too defensive and lacks creativity.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Pickford
TAA Maguire Stones Chilwell
Foden Henderson Graelish
Sancho Kane Sterling

Henderson
Walker
Shaw
Rice
Mount
Rashford
Calvert-Lewin
----
Pope
James
Dier
Maddison
Greenwood

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Henderson
TAA Gomez Maguire Shaw
Henderson Rice
Sancho Grealish Rashford
Kane
Pope, James, Stones, Phillips, Mount, Foden, Sterling are probably the 7 guys who should be competing with the above lineup and rotating/providing competition.

• Henderson better with the ball at his feet than Pope, but far better as a keeper than Pickford.​
  • TAA and Gomez partnership on the right.​
  • Maguire and Shaw on the left.​
  • Henderson and Rice as a solid double pivot with Henderson having a good passing range. Phillips/Mount to come in for Rice depending on opponent​
  • Sancho's creativity on the right to balance out Kane and Rashford who would work really well together, though Sterling will obviously start on the right​
  • Grealish easily the #10, Kane easily the striker. Foden and DCL to provide depth.​
As Gomez is injured for the euros, Stones will start, and James would be his best partner instead of TAA to keep that pace/power that you lose by putting Stones in for Gomez.

bosnian_red

Why 3 defensive mids instead of a double pivot with Grealish to link?

red4ever 79

Henderson
TAA Stones Maguire Shaw
Foden Rice Grealish
Sterling Kane Rashford

For me CDM, LW and GK are positions that are up for discussion points.

Walters_19_MuFc

Also what I have a feeling of... I think Gareth played his hand vs. Poland that Chilwell is his first choice LB so I worry that he'll just use Trippier (who he also likes) as his second choice LB.

I do think both James and Shaw will go though.
God, I hope not!

Having one left-footed left-back in the squad would be a rookie mistake by Southgate.

Walters_19_MuFc

Has Southgate played such a set-up ?
He plays in the same setup you posted but uses more of an attacking midfielder on one side. Usually, Mount as an LCM. If the qualifiers are anything to go by, young Jude Bellingham could be back up to Mount. I would personally take Maddison, who has played this role for Leicester.

eltigreFalcao

Pope
Bissaka - Mings - Dier - Chillwell
Phillips - Henderson
Sancho --------------------------------- Grealish
Greenwood - DCL​

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
It's really weird watching and listening to these discussions about England every tournament. Seeing both Carragher and Neville have Rice+Mount in your midfield and talking about "how to win it"... I just can't see any universe where this pairing gets you anywhere past the first knockout round. Adding Henderson doesn't change anything either and honestly i feel like he won't be fit enough and will break down in the first games.
The GK situation is getting a bit overlooked and wether it is Pickford or Pope, you'll be in trouble.
I was hoping Saka would be in but it's hard to argue about his ommission because you'd need to drop somebody that is playing on either wing. It would have to be Greenwood but then you're putting all your chances on Kane performing and staying fit the whole competition. Way too risky, and i can't see Southgate coming up with a magic plan. He will throw DCL in and hope for the best.

England have good options at RB/LB but there is way too many doubts in almost every other part of the pitch. A first choice squad to me would look like:

Pope
Walker/TAA - Maguire - Stones - Chillwell
Henderson - Mount (?)
Grealish Rashford Sterling
Kane

There is red flags all over this team. Walker is prone to mistakes. Stones/Maguire is a bit fragile mentally and would be the first to crumble if something go wrong. And something very well might considering the uncertainty about the guy that will stand behind them. The biggest issue is Kane/Henderson's fitness. If they can't stay fit for the whole month, England have no chance.
They don't really want to win their group as they could face France, Germany or Portugal. Second place could give them Spain or Poland (with Lewandowski this time) :nervous:

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Pope
--------------
Alexander-Arnold
Stones
Maguire
Shaw
--------------
Rice
Mount
Grealish
--------------
Sancho
Sterling
Kane

I guess he won't play such an adventurous midfield though and it will be Phillips instead of Grealish with Mount the more advanced midfielder. Winks would have been an option for that other midfield place for me but hasn't had enough football. And I guess he will prefer Pickford and Walker to Pope and Alexander-Arnold, and Sancho's place is up for grabs for any of Foden, Rashford, Grealish etc. But I would pick Sancho as I think it gives the right balance and Sterling is better on the left.

Overall it isn't a bad team at all and could even be good to watch but doesn't look likely to win it.

El Jefe

Henderson

James
Stones
Maguire
Shaw

Rice
Henderson
Mount

Rashford
Kane
Grealish

Most balanced in my opinion. Depending on form, Pope, TAA, Lingard, Foden and Sterling can come in for Henderson, James, Mount, Grealish and Rashford.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Henderson

James
Stones
Maguire
Shaw

Rice
Henderson
Mount

Rashford
Kane
Grealish

Most balanced in my opinion. Depending on form, Pope, TAA, Lingard, Foden and Sterling can come in for Henderson, James, Mount, Grealish and Rashford.
So who plays on the right there - Grealish? Rashford? or does Rice sit and let the full backs attack, with Grealish in a free role and Rashford and Kane attacking?

I see Rashford as a bench option tbh.

bosnian_red

The underrating of Sancho is crazy IMO. Also excessive amount of defenders there. IMO should be:
Henderson, Pope, Pickford
TAA, James
Shaw, Chilwell
Maguire, Stones, Coady, Mings
Henderson, Rice, Phillips
Grealish, Mount
Rashford, Sterling, Sancho, Foden
Kane, DCL

El Jefe

So who plays on the right there - Grealish? Rashford? or does Rice sit and let the full backs attack, with Grealish in a free role and Rashford and Kane attacking?

I see Rashford as a bench option tbh.
Rashford plays on the right but with freedom to drift centrally. Henderson is used to covering Salah on that side for Liverpool so shouldn't be an issue.

I know Rashford on the right isn't as good on the left but his pace is an absolute must in the team and with Kane's ability to play passes from deep to wide forwards, he'll be very important. You could go with Sterling too I guess but I think he lacks some of the brilliance Rashford can produce.

Grealish off the left with Shaw overlapping should be our go to. Both extremely good in possession and this will allow the pitch to open up for Rashford on the right, as he's so dangerous with space to run into.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
The underrating of Sancho is crazy IMO. Also excessive amount of defenders there. IMO should be:
Henderson, Pope, Pickford
TAA, James
Shaw, Chilwell
Maguire, Stones, Coady, Mings
Henderson, Rice, Phillips
Grealish, Mount
Rashford, Sterling, Sancho, Foden
Kane, DCL
I think Walker is a cert for Southgate. Unless he is taking 3 RB's, he's going to end up choosing between James and TAA.

I agree with you, the conversation around Sancho is really weird.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs

I hope this is the only time I ever see that midfield.

AgentSmith

Henderson Pickford Pope

TAA Walker
Stones Coady
Maguire Mings
Shaw Chilwell

Rice Phillips
Henderson Bellingham
Mount Foden

Sterling Sancho
Kane Ings
Grealish Rashford

Henderson
TAA - Stones - Maguire - Shaw
Henderson - Rice
Sterling - Mount - Grealish
Kane​

with Foden, Sancho, and Rashford the difference makers off the bench.

The midfield obviously relies on Henderson coming back fit before the season ends. Tough to say who takes his place if he doesn’t. Also if Messe continues his form he should be in the squad but it’s hard to decide who he displaces.

GlasgowCeltic

How has Tomori done at Milan, surely a more talented long term option than the Mings, Dier, Coady axis of dross

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I just think taking 3 RB's is a bit much, so in my head it'll have to be two of Walker, James and TAA and it wouldn't shock me if James lost that battle.

Luke Shaw is one of the in form LB's in Europe. Unless something drastic happens, I think he and Chilwell are both certs to go.
The way England play James and Walker should be nailed on. It would be a shame for Trent but he hasn't had a (proper, non covid) break in over two years and needs one this summer if we're going for the PL title next season. Trent is young enough to make his mark with a decent England manager in the future.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
England has so much talent and there is always going to be players missing who an argument can be made for taking. I don't know why so many are passing on taking Sancho. Hell, I've got him in my starting 11. He's the only natural right winger out of the lot. Assuming everyone is fit my starting line up and 23 man squad would be:

----------------------------------Pope-------------------------------
Walker---------Stones-----------Maguire-----------Shaw
-------------------------------Henderson--------------------------
-------------Mount---------------------------Foden---------------
Sancho---------------------Kane--------------------Sterling

Keepers--------------------Defenders---------------Midfielders--------------Forwards
Henderson-------------------TAA-------------------------Rice-----------------------Rashford
Pickford----------------------Coady---------------------Ward-Prowse----------Grealish
----------------------------------Chillwell-------------------Bellingham--------------Calvert-Lewin

TAA has to be in the squad. Even an out of form TAA is better than any other attacking RB in world football. He starts against the crappy teams and is an option off the bench against better teams if England is chasing the game. There is also no reason to bring more than 2 #9's. Kane is not coming off the field in any game unless England is winning by a lot and they want to rest Kane. Rice and Henderson can interchance while Ward-Prowse and Bellingham can both play in the 6 and the 8. Grealish is also a player who offers different options. If England is playing a game in which they think a 4-2-3-1 is the best option then Grealish goes into the #10. He can also start on the left and Rashford can play anywhere in the front line. This is the most talented team England has had in years. I think it would be a huge mistake if Southgate goes into matches thinking he has to sit back and counter attack. This team can take the game to countries like France and Belgium. That midfield 3 of Henderson, Mount and Foden can dominate any team they come against. If Southgate goes into this realizing just how good they are, then England may very well win it. If he goes in with a defensive mindset I can see England limping out. Again...
----------------------------------Mings

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
The way England play James and Walker should be nailed on. It would be a shame for Trent but he hasn't had a (proper, non covid) break in over two years and needs one this summer if we're going for the PL title next season. Trent is young enough to make his mark with a decent England manager in the future.
I don't know what all the Reese James love is for. An out of form TAA is still 10 times the player James is. I'd start Walker for the big matches, but if England is chasing a game who would you rather bring into the match, James or TAA? For me, Walker is the first choice, followed by TAA, then it's Trippier, AWB, James...