Englands Centre forward crisis

Fergies Formula

I was thinking earlier what a sad state uf affairs we are in with english football that at the moment we dont actually have a world class striker(i dont mean a second striker,ala rooney)

We have a couple of decent out and out strikers like defoe and crouch, but past them there is know one who england can count on to push for world cup glory, owen will be 30, i dont think we will be relying on dean ashton if im honest, so who is there out in the youths who is special if any, someone who looks special.

Its funny how all the top teams in world football groom plenty of young attack-minded potential superstars and England have nothing. its depressing :mad:

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Kitson can solve all England's problems. He has a grade.

kietotheworld

Don't need one, put Rooney upfront, have Cole, Lampard, Gerrard behind him, then have Carrick and Hargreaves to give the 3 behind Rooney the freedom to play.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Don't need one, put Rooney upfront, have Cole, Lampard, Gerrard behind him, then have Carrick and Hargreaves to give the 3 behind Rooney the freedom to play.
It hasn't worked though has it with Rooney up front?The original poster was right.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I'd agree, England just dont have enough quality players to really be considered a world class team. On some positions, they have the best players, but the wings, goalkeeper and striker department is just not strong enough. And before every tournament, the team gets massively overrated.

Hope Capello can sort that out and find a good formation

Mr Darcy

Englands problems are in goal, an on the wings, anyone who says otherwise is spastic, and plays too much pes.

Good game, but football is not as simple as saying Rooney is a 'ss' and therefore I need a 'cf' on the team with special ability in 'post player'. lolz i bet thats what the original poster thinks, picking out weakness where there are none (England have good strikers) and missing the glaringly obvious weaknesses such as on the wings (imagine a Nani and Ronaldo??) and in goal (imagine a Buffon or a Cech).

Now I will wait to be attacked by the spastics.

Lot 49

Doom
Agbonlahor is great and only 21. His speed would also be useful as England tend to play with a fairly slow attack.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
Agbonlahor is great and only 21. His speed would also be useful as England tend to play with a fairly slow attack.
He plays down the right or in the same role as Rooney. You need a big strong but skillfull lad who's a threat in the air and on the deck. If Carlton Cole or Dean Ashton knuckled down a bit instead of enjoying life in London too much then they could do this. I remember when England had some choice up front between Shearer, Sherringham, Ferdinand, Fowler and Cole but still only shearer and sherringham really made an impression at international level.

Lot 49

Doom
Agbonlahor doesn't play the same role as Rooney. He's been played on the right a lot for Villa out of necessity because they had no other decent options for a while but his best position is as an out and out striker who uses his pace to get away from the last defender. He would work very well with Rooney dropping in deep behind him imo.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
Agbonlahor doesn't play the same role as Rooney. He's been played on the right a lot for Villa out of necessity because they had no other decent options for a while but his best position is as an out and out striker who uses his pace to get away from the last defender. He would work very well with Rooney dropping in deep behind him imo.
He's not a great out and out striker and is used correctly by Martin O'Neill as a winger/supporting front man. He cannot hold the ball up on his own and that's why he plays with Big John. Agbonlahor is a poor mans Rooney.

Lot 49

Doom
He's not a great out and out striker and is used correctly by Martin O'Neill as a winger/supporting front man. He cannot hold the ball up on his own and that's why he plays with Big John. Agbonlahor is a poor mans Rooney.
He's never played as a supporting front man and when played upfront for Villa he plays alongside Carew and not in behind him. And again he's only been played on the right out of necessity and not because that's his position. When O'Neil took over at Villa they had been using Milner on the right, O'Neil wanted to keep him as his winger and made an offer but the deal broke down at the last minute so O'Neil had to start the season with out a right winger. That's the only reason they played Agbonlahor there, it's not and never will be his position. O'Neil has been trying to get him off the wing by signing players like Maloney and Routledge but they've not worked out for varying reasons.

Saying he's a poor man's Rooney is ridiculous because he's nothing like Rooney, you might as well say Carew is a poor man's Tevez. He's not got Rooney's vision or his passing or his work rate or any of the other things that make Rooney a great no. 10. What he has got is blistering pace, a decent shot and good reading of the game which make him a good striker.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
England's whole attacking game, not just the striker but the wings and midfield as well, just looks completely slow and lacking any sort of cutting edge asides from Rooney and Gerrard who often are played in numerous different roles. England need to get the best out of them consistently. There is a desperate need for a pacey goalscorer upfront, some creativity in midfield and some pace+skill on the wings.

England need some of the young prospects like Agbonlahor, Young, Ashton, Lennon, Bentley, Walcott, etc. to push on and take the places of Owen, Cole, Lampard and Beckham, who no longer shine on the international stage.

Bape

Hopefullly Walcott in a few years time can do the job for us, not betting on it mind.

Fergies Formula

Englands problems are in goal, an on the wings, anyone who says otherwise is spastic, and plays too much pes.

Good game, but football is not as simple as saying Rooney is a 'ss' and therefore I need a 'cf' on the team with special ability in 'post player'. lolz i bet thats what the original poster thinks, picking out weakness where there are none (England have good strikers) and missing the glaringly obvious weaknesses such as on the wings (imagine a Nani and Ronaldo??) and in goal (imagine a Buffon or a Cech).

Now I will wait to be attacked by the spastics.
England dont have a weakness up top?>

tell me who will be able to play that role, because rooney shouldn't be asked to play it alone, he isnt as good or effective, alone up top.

my original point that we have no real out and out striker of world class, like holland have van nistelrooy, spain - torres, sweden - imbrahimovic, Italy toni, germany - klose etc, as my original point mentioned we have know one like this and there is know one who looks like they could be this for england at the next world cup, its a depressing state of affairs, england rarley produce top class attackers now, they are all just nearly men, apary from rooney

oh any how do you know what i think?:smirk:

Lot 49

Doom
England's whole attacking game, not just the striker but the wings and midfield as well, just looks completely slow and lacking any sort of cutting edge asides from Rooney and Gerrard who often are played in numerous different roles. England need to get the best out of them consistently. There is a desperate need for a pacey goalscorer upfront, some creativity in midfield and some pace+skill on the wings.

England need some of the young prospects like Agbonlahor, Young, Ashton, Lennon, Bentley, Walcott, etc. to push on and take the places of Owen, Cole, Lampard and Beckham, who no longer shine on the international stage.
Exactly. England have had a slow attack since Owen lost his pace and that was years ago now. Put Agbonlahor upfront with Rooney and Young on the left and the team will have far more penetration.

Mr Darcy

England dont have a weakness up top?>

tell me who will be able to play that role, because rooney shouldn't be asked to play it alone, he isnt as good or effective, alone up top.

my original point that we have no real out and out striker of world class, like holland have van nistelrooy, spain - torres, sweden - imbrahimovic, Italy toni, germany - klose etc, as my original point mentioned we have know one like this and there is know one who looks like they could be this for england at the next world cup, its a depressing state of affairs, england rarley produce top class attackers now, they are all just nearly men, apary from rooney

oh any how do you know what i think?:smirk:
I just think football is not so simple. Just because certain countries have strikers who are famous (as strikers), does not mean they are better than a striker who because of lack of service or being played out of position (at club level) does not appear to be prolific. It is only the setup of the teams he plays for which makes this the case, and if anything Manchester United are the supreme example that a team can be the best in the world without a superstar forward! And this leads me to the conclusion that England could have won the world cup in the last couple of decades if they had the services of Fergie and not their greatest club team!!!

GAngel

if ingurland wants to win they need to play all the utd players. They're the only ones who don't bottle everything.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
He's never played as a supporting front man and when played upfront for Villa he plays alongside Carew and not in behind him. And again he's only been played on the right out of necessity and not because that's his position. When O'Neil took over at Villa they had been using Milner on the right, O'Neil wanted to keep him as his winger and made an offer but the deal broke down at the last minute so O'Neil had to start the season with out a right winger. That's the only reason they played Agbonlahor there, it's not and never will be his position. O'Neil has been trying to get him off the wing by signing players like Maloney and Routledge but they've not worked out for varying reasons.

Saying he's a poor man's Rooney is ridiculous because he's nothing like Rooney, you might as well say Carew is a poor man's Tevez. He's not got Rooney's vision or his passing or his work rate or any of the other things that make Rooney a great no. 10. What he has got is blistering pace, a decent shot and good reading of the game which make him a good striker.
He's not got enough of a physical presence up front. I've seen himself and Young play in behind Carew on the left and right for villa and work the touchline like wingers. I dont think I've ever seen him as an out and out striker. He has pace and a decent shot but his reading of the game needs to improve.

AttackingFlair

I agree with this. Maybe he's not ready yet, but in the future... yeah.

red2deadboy

--------Rooney
Young----Cole---Walcott
-----Carrick--Gerrard
Cole----Rio----Terry--Hargreaves
----------Foster

I believe the above team would be our best selection as is has pace, experience, solid defence and exuberance of youth in Walcott & Young. I believe Cole would be ideal partner for Rooney as he likes to drift and is capable of executing that killer pass needed at international level.

kietotheworld

--------Rooney
Young----Cole---Walcott
-----Carrick--Gerrard
Cole----Rio----Terry--Hargreaves
----------Foster

I believe the above team would be our best selection as is has pace, experience, solid defence and exuberance of youth in Walcott & Young. I believe Cole would be ideal partner for Rooney as he likes to drift and is capable of executing that killer pass needed at international level.
Gerrard's not at his best as a central midfielder, Walcott's not very good, Lampard is very good and should be in the team.

Ekeke

I think potentially, Rooney + Bent would be a very good partnership for England. But Bent needs to kick on this season, whether at Spurs or somewhere else. He has the potential, but needs to add the application.

AttackingFlair

Gerrard's not at his best as a central midfielder, Walcott's not very good, Lampard is very good and should be in the team.
Why? We have no Drogba type of player for him to play off and thus he wouldn't fit in the system and would be ineffective elsewhere. Even if we did have that type of centre forward, Lampard is no better than say Rooney or Cole.

kietotheworld

Why? We have no Drogba type of player for him to play off and thus he wouldn't fit in the system and would be ineffective elsewhere. Even if we did have that type of centre forward, Lampard is no better than say Rooney or Cole.
Lampard's an excellent AM, 20 goals a season, guaranteed if he's fit, you can't say all those goals come because of Drogba. I agree that Lampard's not better than Rooney or Cole but I believe you can have all of them. Rooney's done well as a lone striker in the past (Milan at OT, Arsenal 4-0, much of this season) but only when he's got players to support him. If you give the 3 behind him clear instructions that they are attackers, and have players dedicated mainly to defending (Carrick & Hargreaves) behind them, everyone has a clearly defined role and can play to their best, bar Rooney. Yes, you're sacrificing him slightly but it's for the good of the team, United did it the season just gone and didn't do so badly.

I believe getting Lampard and Gerrard to play at their best is vital for England's success. The same would be true for Rooney if we did have the type of striker the OP is talking about, but you can still make an extremely effective team without one.

Nanison

The thing is england always had a huge amount of world class forwards, even a couple of years ago Andy Cole who was a world class player didn't get england call ups. There are several ex united players who were praised alot for their talent and work who hardly ever got called up for England.

There is only one thing to blame for the current situation. Foreign forwards.

Just check every teams primary attacking duo or trio, they are almost all foreign

Arsenal: adebayor
Blackburn: McCarthy, Santa Cruz
Bolton: Vaz Te, Diouff
Chelsea: Drogba,Malouda etc
United: Tevez, Saha (rooney)
Everton: Yakubu (johnson)
Fulham: Healy, McBride
City: Benjani, Castillo, Bojinov
Boro: Alves, Aliadiere, Mido, Tuncay
Newcastle: Martins, Viduka, Ameobi (Owen, Smith)
Villa: they have an english core
Portsmouth: pretty much english
Tottenham: Keane, Berbatov (Bent)

Not sure about the other teams but it's clear that foreigners take up the spots for english players. I'm sure there is still much talent but they don't make it because of the foreigners.

Nanison

That said The football league and EPL used to have british (English) players all of the time and that didn't win them much international trophies either

More talk about the state of Englands youth. There really should be more top young players coming through, but there arent. We know the main problems for this and hopefully the FA will do something about it.

Nanison

More talk about the state of Englands youth. There really should be more top young players coming through, but there arent. We know the main problems for this and hopefully the FA will do something about it.
What's the problem then?

The system worked for decades. Why did it stop good players coming through?

AttackingFlair

Lampard's an excellent AM, 20 goals a season, guaranteed if he's fit, you can't say all those goals come because of Drogba. I agree that Lampard's not better than Rooney or Cole but I believe you can have all of them. Rooney's done well as a lone striker in the past (Milan at OT, Arsenal 4-0, much of this season) but only when he's got players to support him. If you give the 3 behind him clear instructions that they are attackers, and have players dedicated mainly to defending (Carrick & Hargreaves) behind them, everyone has a clearly defined role and can play to their best, bar Rooney. Yes, you're sacrificing him slightly but it's for the good of the team, United did it the season just gone and didn't do so badly.

I believe getting Lampard and Gerrard to play at their best is vital for England's success. The same would be true for Rooney if we did have the type of striker the OP is talking about, but you can still make an extremely effective team without one.
You can have all of them but whether it works or not is a different story. Personally I wouldn't have Lampard in the England team. I would also have Rooney with a strike partner as that's how you get the best out of England's best player imo at least.

kietotheworld

You can have all of them but whether it works or not is a different story. Personally I wouldn't have Lampard in the England team. I would also have Rooney with a strike partner as that's how you get the best out of England's best player imo at least.
Ideally, I'd have the same but there's no-one good enough in my view.