English cricket 2015 - NZ, The Ashes, Pak and SA

zing

Zingle balls
Bit late, and may be it has already been discussed but would it be outrageous to suggest that while Steyn has all the hype, and some of it rightly so, Anderson has been (overall) the best fast/swing bowler in the world since McGrath retired?
Yea, it wouldn't be correct.

Steyn:
http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...7;spanval1=span;template=results;type=bowling

Anderson:
http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...7;spanval1=span;template=results;type=bowling

Steyn averages 21 per wicket in that time frame, Anderson 28 per wicket. Steyn takes 5 wickets a match(!), Anderson 4.

Steyn's strike rate is phenomenal -- a wicket every 40 balls, which I think is probably the best strike rate of all time. Anderson's is 57.

There was a period around 2010-11 when I would say Anderson was as good as Steyn but he's had a couple of not-so-good seasons recently but I think Anderson is not helped by the fact that he's made to bowl so much.

I think Anderson is criminally under-rated by people who do not watch test cricket and form their opinion from seeing 2 overs of Anderson in the ODI WC or something. The "he cannot bowl when it does not swing" myth was borne in 2005 and is still peddled by people who didn't see him bowl very well in UAE, Sri Lanka, Australia(the Ashes before last) and then in India. That is where Steyn is different, though. While Anderson's best is 'very good' in places like the sub-continental, Steyn is just awesome.

In terms of bowling in swinging conditions, though, I believe that Anderson is the superior bowler. There has been no bowler like him I have seen at his peak and quite possibly, I don't think I'll see many like that. He is magical. I'd be interested to know if any of the older bowlers had the control Anderson does.

And when do England tour SA next? It has been a long time.

Skills

Snitch
Bit late, and may be it has already been discussed but would it be outrageous to suggest that while Steyn has all the hype, and some of it rightly so, Anderson has been (overall) the best fast/swing bowler in the world since McGrath retired?
Nope. Steyn pisses all over him.

NinjaFletch

Since the Pakistan series in 2011 excluding the 2013 Ashes Ian Bell has averaged 31 with 3 hundreds from 36 matches.

Even including that series he averaged a still pretty shit 35 with 6 hundreds over that period.

Criminal that his place in the team is still considered concrete.

zing

Zingle balls
I think McCullum is an idiot.

He should teach this team restraint or all he'll have is glorious defeats.

He's extremely attacking and has basically showed that the balance between attack/defense in cricket is far closer to the attack end of the spectrum than the defensive minded end of the spectrum like Dhoni/Cook. Michael Clarke has already found that right balance. McCullum's just got his team bashing it about like a T20 and they're going to be sent packing.

Like in the last test -- McCullum slammed them all around while batting and got out going for a hoick 20 minutes before lunch. If he'd shut up shop for 4 overs and won that session, England wouldn't come back from the break with as much optimism. Complete lack of game awareness. Reminds me of Sehwag.. got out slog sweeping when India needed to bat 2 days to save a test in Napier. Natural tendency to attack is good, but sometimes you need to not be an idiot.

Kazi

I don't think McCullum and his team are idiots. I think there would be similar results (in this series and others in this era) if his team played a more classical brand of cricket. But this is New Zealand's own brand, and it's worked well for them so far.

zing

Zingle balls
I don't think McCullum and his team are idiots. I think there would be similar results (in this series and others in this era) if his team played a more classical brand of cricket. But this is New Zealand's own brand, and it's worked well for them so far.
1-0 down and staring at 2-0.. it's hardly worked well.

Kazi

1-0 down and staring at 2-0.. it's hardly worked well.
But who's to say that the result in the first test would have been different if they played more coventional test cricket? I think it would be the same. And this test is still evenly balanced.

Last edited:

zing

Zingle balls
This is much better. Watling and McCullum leaving outside off and playing balls that they have to.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I reckon New Zealand will win this, England are only good for about 280-300 in the 2nd innings IMO.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
NZ have done very well. It was only the first 5/6 over after Williamson got out they they were slogging. Aside from that they've played sensible cricket on the whole. England are still well in the game though. The Ronchi innings in the first innings was a one-off so get one wicket in here and they could well wrap this up for 320 odd.

zing

Zingle balls
Watling's played well in both tests.

The others should just try to stick around as much as possible. Another 80-90 runs would be excellent. Got enough in the bank to afford Ronchi to attack as well, actually.

Last edited:

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
Steyn is better.

Anderson lacks the weapons that he has.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Big wicket that. Hope NZ can make it past 400, that will give them the mental edge.

Mani

This is in fact a good score,unless England play sensible they might loose this.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Always good to see Broad tonked all over the park.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Only just realised this is a two test series... Just assumed against NZ it would be three.

It's pathetic. Playing just two against one of the better test sides around right now is a waste.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
Sensible batting (and rain) is required today, all we have to do is see the day out and take the draw. even in a 2 test series, beating New Zealand 1-0 will be a decent confidence booster going into the ashes.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
FFS The ONE time we needed Cook to be a defensive captain and just bat the day out and we go for it :lol:

What the feck was Buttler doing for that last ball too?

KM

We made Moeen Ali look like Gary Sobers in our series :(

Rank average bowler.

KM

FFS The ONE time we needed Cook to be a defensive captain and just bat the day out and we go for it :lol:

What the feck was Buttler doing for that last ball too?
Sorry mate you didn't went for it. The run rate was below 3. It's just Buttler's game to be aggressive I think. Very hard for players like him to block and block.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
In 20 years of watching Cricket I have never really developed a real liking for a team other than India but I absolutely love this Nz team, they are playing the most breathtaking brand of Cricket I have ever seen

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Some hilarious leaves in this test. These players need to go back to basics and learn where their off stump is. :lol:

Good series. Scoring 800 runs and taking 20 wickets within 5 days with a couple of rain effected days is just astonishing. Cracking brand of cricket from NZ. A real shame they only have two tests the only time they visit Europe.