English cricket 2015 - NZ, The Ashes, Pak and SA

Phurry

Furry Fecker
D/L in general is an ok system.

The problem is that it relies on statistical data thats outdated.

With current ODI regulations about men out it just isn't accounting properly for the runs a team, even without wickets in hand, can blast with out too much difficulty
This. I remember watching ODI's growing up and if the team batting first got over 200 you'd think it was a decent score, scoring more than 250 was considered pretty special. Nowadays, unless the pitch is a shocker, you'd need to add an additional 100 runs to those scores.

There are very few "walking wickets" playing international one day cricket now, gone are the days when a number 10 or 11 hasn't got a clue what to do with a bat, the number 9 is usually eminently capable of scoring a few, look at Plunkett the last 2 games as an example.

Rednotdead

The whole game needs some revision. For T20 read F50 - is there any longer a need to assist the batting side with Powerplays? Aren't they redundant now?

Also, does a side any longer need top class bowlers or just batsmen who can bowl a bit? Everyone gets smashed around the ground anyway, regardless of their skill as a bowler.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Good comeback from Kiwis as England collapse. Still, another 300+ score which is a small positive at the moment.

TheGame

Good comeback from Kiwis as England collapse. Still, another 300+ score which is a small positive at the moment.
Yep definite positive however we did see the familiar collapse again. If we got those extra runs, we would have won. Think we are a bowling option light. Longer term I think Ali should come in for Billings to provide that option.

ha_rooney

Williamson is a joy to watch in all forms & nice to see Taylor back in form. Another good game, been an excellent series between the 2 teams.

Yep definite positive however we did see the familiar collapse again. If we got those extra runs, we would have won. Think we are a bowling option light. Longer term I think Ali should come in for Billings to provide that option.
Agree on the extra bowler but I like the look of Billings in the destroyer role, even if Stokes & Buttler provide that option. Think if Ali comes back it will be for Roy or Hales.

TheGame

Williamson is a joy to watch in all forms & nice to see Taylor back in form. Another good game, been an excellent series between the 2 teams.

Agree on the extra bowler but I like the look of Billings in the destroyer role, even if Stokes & Buttler provide that option. Think if Ali comes back it will be for Roy or Hales.
I quite like Roy and Hales at the top, when that comes off that would be explosive. Ali could work at the top though. We need some more bowlers who can get ODI experience though.

ForlansHair

Another great game taking place at the moment. Shaping up to be a great chase.

Although it has to be said our bowling is a bit of a worry but Wood looks a fine prospect to me + I think Finn has done well this series too. The rest of them do seem to get carted around the park too often.

Nickosaur

My dad was up there tonight. Great match. I'm going to be at Lords in September for one of the ODIs v Australia.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
England need 192 off 26 overs, why are we still using Duckworth Lewis in 2015??

ArmchairCritic

England are batting plain stupid now, bat at 6/7 an over for the first 15 overs then turn it up. Still adapting to the modern one day game.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Don't know favs the team batting 1st

NZ can't get 6 an over but England need to get over 7 to win
It doesn't. In fact, it has been mostly argued that it favours team batting 2nd. I remember reading that around 60% of times team batting 2nd has won the games under D/L. Duckworth Lewis doesn't just work on run rates. 250 chase in 50 overs and 100 runs in 20 overs is not same even though run rate required is same. D/L also brings no. of wickets remaining in equation(% of resources used).
As for today's game, 192 in 26 overs is not at all a tough target. 142 in 26 overs, if we go by just run-rate, would have favoured England massively. I am not watching the match but unless there was considerable help for bowlers off the pitch or through air, 192 in 26 overs is pretty manageable chase in era of T20 and flat pitches. Just see the targets chased or the scores put up in this series itself.

D/L needs further modification or tweaks imo based on how the game has progressed and needs to take into account the recent trend at particular venue or country with more weightage to recent scores for deciding 'G50.' G50 is the average score which a team batting first is expected to get in 50 overs in normal conditions. The G50 score which D/L used to have as basis for calculations was 235 for long time. That has changed to 245 now I think but 245 in 50 overs nowadays is still not a par score, so G50 can be further increased. Not sure how much impact it will have on targets, run wise though, might be 10-15 runs. Even then, in 20 overs game, it amounts to approx 1.5 over going by avg. run rate, so it can change results.

ha_rooney

Excellent knock. Been a terrific series between these 2, lots of entertainment in both the tests & ODIs.

zing

Zingle balls
Bairstow played one of the best test knocks I've seen in the lsat few years -- that one innings against SA. Talented player

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Kind of funny that the reaction to a series like this is so different when England are the winning team.

diarm

Don't watch as much cricket as I'd like to but Brendan McCullum is a proper sportsman isn't he.
Cracking player and gracious in victory and defeat. Was an excellent series.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
That has changed to 245 now I think but 245 in 50 overs nowadays is still not a par score
More like 350 now.

Good series from both teams. They both played some exciting cricket and it was played in really good spirits. England have done especially well considering the backlash in recent weeks/months and coming after a truly abysmal and embarrassing World Cup performance. I still don't hold out much hope for the Ashes, but I don't think it will be as one sided as I first thought. England can only be helped if Mitchell Johnson is not playing for the Aussies, he had most of our batsmen sussed during the last series. They will be much happier not having to face him, out of form or not.

zing

Zingle balls
What's so funny, we have seen past England ODI struggle to adapt and play attacking cricket. We finally have the makings of a good attacking team.
Consecutive 300+ scores in the sub-continent would bring out 5 articles on how cricket's dying, not on how exciting attacking cricket is.

Spoony

The People's President
Consecutive 300+ scores in the sub-continent would bring out 5 articles on how cricket's dying, not on how exciting attacking cricket is.

I think it's proof that one day cricket either needs to be scrapped or rules need to be changed to strike a balance...between bat and ball. Two new balls should canned for starters. But yeah the game's become a borefest.

zing

Zingle balls
I think it's proof that one day cricket either needs to be scrapped or rules need to be changed to strike a balance...between bat and ball. Two new balls should canned for starters. But yeah the game's become a borefest.
Yea, I have read comments from Cricinfo journalists and some of the Sky commentators praise the curator for preparing 'great' pitches. I'm like "what?". If these matches had happened in the sub-continent, they would've been VERY rightly pilloried.

300+ matches are definitely not good for the game. The rules should be changed.. power plays, fielders outside the circle, two new balls and the boundaries being pulled in should all be re-visited and properly regulated. It can't be all that hard to have a balance where 280 is considered a good score.

Or maybe I'm in the minority and 300+ is what people want to watch these days..

Contrary to popular opinion, I actually liked the previous ODI format and felt like it wasn't that long a way from being tweaked to be good. It made cricket attacking enough without having to resort to slog fests.

ArmchairCritic

ODI cricket is redundant in the modern era for me. Getting rid of it would make schedules a million times better and you can get rid of this 2 test, test series bollocks.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
England doing well at limited overs cricket? Wow.

ODI cricket is redundant in the modern era for me. Getting rid of it would make schedules a million times better and you can get rid of this 2 test, test series bollocks.
Yup. It provides nowhere near the swings and roundabouts of a high quality test match, or the quick thrills of a T20. It's a jack of all trades, master of none... I'd be fine if it disappeared completely.

paulscholes18

England Squad has been picked for the 1st test

Cook
Ali
Anderson
Ballance
Bell
Broad
Buttler
Finn
Lyth
Rashid
Root
Stokes
Wood

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
Australian team will probaly be

Warner
Rogers
Smith
Clarke
Voges
M.Marsh
Haddin
Johnson
Harris
Hazelwood
Lyon

I just hope that Harris is fit and that Watson is not picked cause he is useless.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.

Warner
Rogers
Smith
Clarke
Voges
M.Marsh
Haddin
Johnson
Harris
Hazelwood
Lyon

I just hope that Harris is fit and that Watson is not picked cause he is useless.
Given Harris has missed the ongoing warm up for not being fit, it is highly unlikely he will be played and thus risked for 1st test which starts in a week's time.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona

Warner
Rogers
Smith
Clarke
Voges
M.Marsh
Haddin
Johnson
Harris
Hazelwood
Lyon

Mate, Watto will be picked. He's got photos of Lehmann and the selectors on the wall of his room I'm afraid.

Kazi

Yeah Watson will definitely play the first test. Surely Shaun Marsh will too?

Mani

Yea, I have read comments from Cricinfo journalists and some of the Sky commentators praise the curator for preparing 'great' pitches. I'm like "what?". If these matches had happened in the sub-continent, they would've been VERY rightly pilloried.

300+ matches are definitely not good for the game. The rules should be changed.. power plays, fielders outside the circle, two new balls and the boundaries being pulled in should all be re-visited and properly regulated. It can't be all that hard to have a balance where 280 is considered a good score.

Or maybe I'm in the minority and 300+ is what people want to watch these days..

Contrary to popular opinion, I actually liked the previous ODI format and felt like it wasn't that long a way from being tweaked to be good. It made cricket attacking enough without having to resort to slog fests.
Completely agree with you, nothing for bowlers these day.Kids of current generation would be happy to be a batsmen rather a bowler.
I almost stopped watching these oneday matches and T20 unless its World cup,love test matches but not the one played in sub continent pitches.
If rules are not changed fast bowling,reverse swing's will be art of past.