English cricket thread

Nico87

When rain and poor light stops play for such a large period does that time get made up anywhere?, or do South Africa have a very good chance of playing for the draw on day 5 if there is still a large run deficit, due to all the lost play.

Last edited:

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
For me this is how our test team should look going forward (providing Bairstow finds some kind of form).

Burns
Sibley/Denly
Bairstow
Root
Stokes
Pope
Buttler
Bess
Archer
Wood
Broad
Why persist with Bairstow? I don't think his test technique and form can be trusted with such a big responsibility.

I'd prefer

Burns
Sibley
Denly
Root
Stokes
Pope
Buttler
Ali*
Archer
Wood/Anderson
Broad

* assuming he can come back refreshed and capable.

Play that team all summer, replacing only for injury/horrific loss of form with Crawley, Foakes, Bess, Leach and Mahmood.

paulscholes18

Well Stokes finally gets the ball and a wicket happens, does make you wonder why Root waited so long to turn to Stokes

JohnnyKills

Well Stokes finally gets the ball and a wicket happens, does make you wonder why Root waited so long to turn to Stokes
Because they're trying to manage him aren't they. He plays all three formats and IPL, so they only bowl him when absolutely necessary.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
Because they're trying to manage him aren't they. He plays all three formats and IPL, so they only bowl him when absolutely necessary.
This. They need him to bat so don't want to break him bowling.

Tony Banta

Last Man Standing champion 2023/24
SA lost their last 4 wickets this morning for 1 run.

208/6 overnight to 209 all out.

Some woeful batting but at the same time, Board and Curran put the ball in the right places.

England enforce the Follow on.

paulscholes18

I get that but if he can’t manage 8 overs a day due to his knees, maybe it’s time he should think about his work load, could call day on his ODI career he be 32 when it’s the next World Cup and if he’s going to continue playing all 3 formats as well as franchise cricket he could well be finished by then.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Kolpak has really done a number on South African cricket. Fancy a change in captain for them after this series.

ArmchairCritic

Rubbish reviewing from England, reckon the arm ball on Van der Dussen was worth a review but haven't seen a replay yet.

ArmchairCritic

Some flat-out bizzare batting against the spinners from South Africa this test. You would think it's Day 5 in Mumbai.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Root’s performance here with the ball is making me less confident about Bess! South Africa are absolutely shocking at playing spin.

ArmchairCritic

Not massively keen on insisting Wood banging it in. Get it up there full at that pace!

Djemba-Djemba

We were only getting that last wicket with a run out because we'd lost the plot with the bowling in that last hour.

But what a performance by England, we had a slight wobble at 150 odd for 4 on day 1 but after that we completely dominated the match in a way we almost never do away from home. That was brilliant.

Too early to say for sure, but things do seem to be clicking, we look a much better organised Test side.

dbs235

South Africa squad for the ODI games: De Kock (capt, wkt), R Hendricks, Bavuma, Van der Dussen, Miller, Smuts, Phehlukwayo, Sipamla, Ngidi, Shamsi, Magala, Fortuin, B Hendricks, Malan, Verreynne.

Not many big names in that. Rabada rested as well.

Fiskey

Crawley looking very good. Haven't seen much of him and wasn't impressed by average, but looks like someone who can play test cricket.

paulscholes18

Rory burns might struggle getting back into the side the way Crawley is improving test by test

NinjaFletch

Rory burns might struggle getting back into the side the way Crawley is improving test by test
Doubt it. Denly looks the most vulnerable of the top 3 by a long way to me and Crawley seems to have the range of strokes to be a bit more dynamic there if Burns and Sibley see off the new ball.

Think I'd want to see a really consistent season from Crawley first, though, but he'll get the chance in Sri Lanka so has the opportunity to nail it down.

Fiskey

Doubt it. Denly looks the most vulnerable of the top 3 by a long way to me and Crawley seems to have the range of strokes to be a bit more dynamic there if Burns and Sibley see off the new ball.

Think I'd want to see a really consistent season from Crawley first, though, but he'll get the chance in Sri Lanka so has the opportunity to nail it down.
Agree, Denly is the one who goes at the moment, and Burns still ahead of Sibley and Crawley on the basis of what he's done to date.

paulscholes18

England in danger of throwing away a great start after losing 4 for 50. Need Root and Pope to rebuild

Nico87

Stokes calling A fan “four eyed cnut and asking him to come and say it outside”. Sky rewound and zoomed in on said incident and then gave a faux apology to anyone offended.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Stokes calling A fan “four eyed cnut and asking him to come and say it outside”. Sky rewound and zoomed in on said incident and then gave a faux apology to anyone offended.
Stokes not on brand with one of England's sponsors - Specsavers

Fiskey

We've all seen what Stokes is like in a fight, I would recommend the punter does not take him up on the offer.

Djemba-Djemba

The South Africa TV rewound the Stokes incident over and over again and managed to start the footage where you can't hear what the fan said to Stokes.

He'll get in trouble for this but pretty sneaky by them.

Djemba-Djemba

Absolutely appalling shot from Buttler.

What the feck was he thinking there? If Broad is at the other end then fine whatever, but Woakes can bat.

Think his time in Test cricket is drawing to a close, bring back Foakes for Sri Lanka

paulscholes18

Not sure what Faf is thinking with this field setting, bring the field up a bit and make them hit over the top