English cricket thread

Djemba-Djemba

Indeed.

I'd already say he looks too loose around off stump and needs to tighten up dramatically to make it as a test opener. Let's hope he's a quick learner.
I think I so want him to be a success there, I've been blinded by his obvious issues as a test opener.

Like you said though, it's early days and he deserves a chance to learn.

NinjaFletch

I think I so want him to be a success there, I've been blinded by his obvious issues as a test opener.

Like you said though, it's early days and he deserves a chance to learn.
I think the problem is that all the talk about why it could work ignores the process. Warner is the oft cited example, but he plays half his cricket in Australia against the Kookaburra where he averages 60. No England opener has that luxury; your home tests are going to be an absolute slog. That's not to say that you can't be aggressive as an opener, but that aggression needs to be coupled with really good judgement about what you can be aggressive against.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
How is Murtagh still playing? I swear he has been around since forever.

36-3

Our top order as good as normal
And not got the same strength as normal in the middle order.

Hephaestus

I've missed test cricket, I really have. All that winning world cups was nice but it's just not England in the same way this is.

NinjaFletch

Think we're taking the piss a bit with that team. If we manage to lose to Ireland, we really had it coming.

There are five players there who you'd say have proved themselves at test level.
Thought this was a good call at the time, and well. Yeah.

Hephaestus

Yes, we love a good top order collapse in England! :drool:

Mind you, when you look at the top 3 it's mostly a case of "Who are ya"?
And a good middle order collapse as well. Still, not like we've got the Ashes soon or anything...

NinjaFletch

:lol:

Bayliss might have done alright with the ODI side, but it will be nice when he fecks off and we get a coach that has some idea about how to play test cricket in England.

Djemba-Djemba

Bairstow needs to fecking sort himself out with test cricket.

He can be such a dope. What the hell was that "shot"?

paulscholes18

Said it a million times Bairstow shouldn’t be batting above 7 in test matches, personally he wouldn’t make my XI

AJ10

6 down vs Ireland and its not even Lunch :lol:

Johnny Half way Bairstow can't seem to bat when ball swings......Shocking defence, could park a bus between that bat and pad.

NinjaFletch

Said it a million times Bairstow shouldn’t be batting above 7 in test matches, personally he wouldn’t make my XI
He's a six in a decent side, I think, probably a 7 in this side with how shite the top order is.

The problem is that the jury is out on Burns, Roy is probably a 5, Denly is a county player and Ali and Woakes are both 8s.