English cricket thread

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I wish we would stop playing at Lords, England's record there in all formats is poor to say the least. Only ever inspires teams from overseas.
Bulldoze it and build a cricket academy where Geoff Boycott, Bill Lawry and Rahul Dravid teach you how to stay in for longer than a fecking over. Two birds one brick :lol:

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Because they picked a side for a warm up game. If you don't have time in the schedule to play a test then don't schedule a test.
I disagree, nobody before today was unhappy with the fixture, Ireland happy to get a test in at Lords and England happy to host them over four days. The fact we've been blown away in this innings doesn't make us arrogant, it makes us ill-prepared for the rigours of test batting, which is a far worse sin in my book.

Djemba-Djemba

Yeah I don't think the team selection was arrogant.

The cricketing schedule is crazy and with this new ICC test championship thing I don't know when else they could fit in a test match with Ireland. It had to come between a World Cup and an Ashes and so we were always going to have injured and exhausted players.

Personally I'd have rested every member of the WC team.

This isn't about arroagance, it's about us being a bad test side prone to pathetic collapses in any conditions.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I am not a cricket fan but will also revel in beating England in any sport, especially when it is their own. Been a good week for Ireland.

AshRK

Ireland would have actually performed well had they been included in the WC, especially in these conditions. High time the ICC and other big authorities like ECB, BCCI help the game to grow rather than just making money for themselves.

Djemba-Djemba

Ireland would have actually performed well had they been included in the WC, especially in these conditions. High time the ICC and other big authorities like ECB, BCCI help the game to grow rather than just making money for themselves.
After this morning I'm glad they weren't at the World Cup!

NinjaFletch

What rubbish is that , it provides England a chance to test themselves against a good attack who will try their best and it gives Ireland a chance to play a test match at Lord's . 8 of the 11 that played today will play in the first test at Edgbaston , how is that a warm up side ?
But that's it isn't it? You're justifying it using the exact same pat on the head attitude that the ECB treats Ireland with. England will play them because Ireland will 'try their best' and it 'gives them a chance to play at Lord's' not because Ireland are a test side and deserve to be treated like a test side. It's another in a long history of the ECB treating Irish cricket shabbily and you don't have to look far to find real discontent amongst the Irish cricket community about it, even if their administrators are scared that even the crumbs might dry up if they speak up.

Yeah I don't think the team selection was arrogant.

The cricketing schedule is crazy and with this new ICC test championship thing I don't know when else they could fit in a test match with Ireland. It had to come between a World Cup and an Ashes and so we were always going to have injured and exhausted players.

Personally I'd have rested every member of the WC team.

This isn't about arroagance, it's about us being a bad test side prone to pathetic collapses in any conditions.
I find it very hard to believe that that balance of side would have been selected against any other test side. It screamed 'you haven't got the bowlers to trouble us' which is, pretty much, how the batsmen went out and played.

Djemba-Djemba

But that's it isn't it? You're justifying it using the exact same pat on the head attitude that the ECB treats Ireland with. England will play them because Ireland will 'try their best' and it 'gives them a chance to play at Lord's' not because Ireland are a test side and deserve to be treated like a test side. It's another in a long history of the ECB treating Irish cricket shabbily and you don't have to look far to find real discontent amongst the Irish cricket community about it, even if their administrators are scared that even the crumbs might dry up if they speak up.

I find it very hard to believe that that balance of side would have been selected against any other test side. It screamed 'you haven't got the bowlers to trouble us' which is, pretty much, how the batsmen went out and played.
But I don't think we'd have played any other side before the Ashes and after the World Cup.

When else could we play this match?

Surely playing them at Lords now is better than us just saying sorry can't fit you in, try again in a couple of years.

And again I don't think the batsmen were arrogant, theyre just not very good. Other than Root aside our best batsmen are averaging 30 anyway.

NinjaFletch

But I don't think we'd have played any other side before the Ashes and after the World Cup.

When else could we play this match?
Well, quite. That's my problem with it.

England wanted a warm up match and have, apparently, been surprised that Ireland have come at them with the intensity they did. Ireland recognised nothing better was going to be forthcoming from the ECB, but that doesn't make it right.

Djemba-Djemba

England wanted a warm up match and have, apparently, been surprised that Ireland have come at them with the intensity they did. Ireland recognised nothing better was going to be forthcoming from the ECB, but that doesn't make it right.
But when do we play them then?

The schedule is already full to brim with matches over the next few years.

Where do we find the time to add in Ireland for a 3 match series?

AshRK

So it's not an official test match?

NinjaFletch

But when do we play them then?

The schedule is already full to brim with matches over the next few years.

Where do we find the time to add in Ireland for a 3 match series?
I'm not arguing it's easy, but you could find a way. I imagine you could quite easily carve two five day matches out of England's schedule next year. There's only 6 tests scheduled and none of the dates are yet confirmed.

So it's not an official test match?
It is. Albeit jammed into four days.

Djemba-Djemba

I'm not arguing it's easy, but you could find a way. I imagine you could quite easily carve two five day matches out of England's schedule next year. There's only 6 tests scheduled and none of the dates are yet confirmed.

It is. Albeit jammed into four days.
But with the ICC championship is it possible to play Ireland in a test series?

I'm not sure how it would work. I suppose it would just not count towards it.

NinjaFletch

But with the ICC championship is it possible to play Ireland in a test series?

I'm not sure how it would work. I suppose it would just not count towards it.
Yep that's exactly how it works. Play who you want but test against Ireland, Afghanistan and Zimbabwe don't count.

Tbh, it seems a bit of a farce to me I think there's two sides England aren't playing in that period whilst they're due to play India a million times. Probably a different discussion though.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout

I still don't see who is being wronged here I'm afraid. There doesn't seem to be a far better, less arrogant/disrespectful way of getting Ireland over in 2019 for a test match. We've managed it and so far they're showing us the way home, which is great for them, and we're facing the harsh realities of what the Aussies will do to us if we take this form and mindset into the ashes.

AshRK

I think some english supporters are overreacting here. You lot should be fine beating this aussie side in your own backyard. You might lose a test but overall I predict England to win the Ashes.

Djemba-Djemba

If there was an obvious solution of when to play Ireland in a test series then you could label England arrogant for scheduling a one off 4 day test inbetween a WC and the Ashes.

But I don't think there is an obvious solution so I just don't see how it's arrogant by the ECB.

Back on topic, this is a fecking shit start to the bowling. I know it's not easy when you only have 85 on the board but come on lads.

Djemba-Djemba

I think some english supporters are overreacting here. You lot should be fine beating this aussie side in your own backyard. You might lose a test but overall I predict England to win the Ashes.
Weve just been bowled out for 85 before Lunch against Ireland!

I think the criticism and panic with Australia waiting is more than justified.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself

Who themselves were bowled out on 105 the other day. So calm down.

It's still a hilarious scorecard but England will win this.

AshRK

I feel you lot should do fine in the Ashes. Warner and SMith are still to find their old groove and ashes might have come a bit soon for them. I would be very surprised if England loses the Ashes that too at home.

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
I don't think it's an overreaction, England's top order is in a right mess, take out Root and there's very little even with the players left out of this game.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United

Even WI bowled them out for 70. They've got issues in the longer form.

Djemba-Djemba

This isn't a one off.

We've been putting in these kind of test batting displays for years.

Australia aren't a good side either though yeah.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Sam Curran is probably the only English player who can hold his head up today.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
The national teams coach? Or the fake XI?
National team, Haddin is also part of the Aussie coaching set up so I guess they each lead and coached the sides for a short space of time. I thought the match was going to Australia vs Australia A but looks like each side was a mish mash of both.