September 4th-8th 2019
England vs Australia
Fourth test, Emirates Old Trafford, Manchester

September 12th-16th 2019
England vs Australia
Fifth test, The Kia Oval, London

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
"A squad of 16 players - the 13 below plus Stokes, Buttler and Wood - are due to attend a pre-Ashes training camp this weekend at St George's Park, the Football Association's national football centre based at Burton-Upon-Trent.

England squad to face Ireland Joe Root (capt), Moeen Ali, James Anderson, Jonny Bairstow, Stuart Broad, Rory Burns, Sam Curran, Joe Denly, Lewis Gregory, Jack Leach, Jason Roy, Olly Stone, Chris Woakes"

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I know about the side strain but Wood apparently had a worse injury and is part of the camp somehow.

Samid

@Samid

Are you English living in Norway or one of the few Noggies into cricket?
Grandparents came here from Pakistan about 50 years ago so that's my route into cricket. And I've had access to Sky ever since I was a kid in the early 00s so has never really been a shortage of cricket on the telly.

You won't find many ethnically Noggies into cricket. I know of two but both only got interested because they studied in Oz.

Classical Mechanic

Grandparents came here from Pakistan about 50 years ago so that's my route into cricket. And I've had access to Sky ever since I was a kid in the early 00s so has never really been a shortage of cricket on the telly.

You won't find many ethnically Noggies into cricket. I know of two but both only got interested because they studied in Oz.
Cheers.

NinjaFletch

Seems nuts to me that you pick a bloke who looks a bit suspect against the moving ball and has played three first class games in the last two years when you've got a guy in Sibley scoring hundreds at the top of the order for fun.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
It's a punt that they had to take , it might not work but domestic runs are hardly a guarantee for international success . In the last 2 years so many batsmen with Domestic runs have had a go in tests so why not take a chance on a guy who has shown the temperament at international level . Now whether he can show the technique remains to be seen

ChrisNelson

Not a great start by England Women in the only Test vs. Australia Women.

Aussies batting first are 229/3 from 83 overs. Could do with at least a couple more wickets before stumps.

Djemba-Djemba

Not a great start by England Women in the only Test vs. Australia Women.

Aussies batting first are 229/3 from 83 overs. Could do with at least a couple more wickets before stumps.
There looks an absolutely huge gulf in class between Australia and England.

Australia look miles and miles better.

AshRK

Too much experimentation going on with Cricket. Test match is fine , no need to make it 4 days. Similarly no point introducing a new format "the hundred". Rather than just tinkering with formats they should maybe cut down meaningless series and try to promote the game by having big nations play the new members.

Samid

ECB/Sky need to cut the 100 ball crap and start televising more Blast games instead.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
'Scuse me it is the England and Wales cricket board. We have 50% of the World Cup after all.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
This kid is apparently one to look out for , as per Cricinfo he has had IPL scouts looking at him

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Too much experimentation going on with Cricket. Test match is fine , no need to make it 4 days. Similarly no point introducing a new format "the hundred". Rather than just tinkering with formats they should maybe cut down meaningless series and try to promote the game by having big nations play the new members.
I’m no massive fan of the 100 but it’s only for domestic sides in England to attract a new audience there. Whether it is a success or not, it shouldn’t be considered an option for international sides.

Agree it would be great to see big nations play associate members but the international calendar is busy enough as it is.

rotherham_red

July 24th-27th 2019
England vs Ireland
Only test, Lord's Cricket Ground, London

August 1st-5th 2019
England vs Australia
First test, Edgbaston, Birmingham

August 14th-18th 2019
England vs Australia
Second test, Lord's Cricket Ground, London

August 22nd-26th 2019
England vs Australia
Third test, Emerald Headingley, Leeds

September 4th-8th 2019
England vs Australia
Fourth test, Emirates Old Trafford, Manchester

September 12th-16th 2019
England vs Australia
Fifth test, The Kia Oval, London
4 day Test v Ireland?

ChrisNelson

I’m no massive fan of the 100 but it’s only for domestic sides in England to attract a new audience there. Whether it is a success or not, it shouldn’t be considered an option for international sides.

Agree it would be great to see big nations play associate members but the international calendar is busy enough as it is.
The introduction of a 4th format to English cricket is an absolute joke and I don't know any domestic cricket fans who want it. I have The Cricketer magazine each month and I don't recall reading one positive article about it, nor letter sent in by a reader.

As a Derbyshire member we will be totally marginalised, as will the other counties that play at smaller grounds and for whom the ECB cares little to none.

Instead we will be expected to get behind our closest Hundred team which will be based at the home of our biggest rivals Nottinghamshire. It's like creating Lancashire FC, basing them at Anfield and expecting United fans to pour in and support them week in, week out. We already have a club that's well over 100 years old and has its own home and identity - even if we are a bit crap :).

Each team will be drafted of players from around the world and so there will be little or no local players to get behind.

It will hog the prime dates in the calendar, which is clearly a tactic by the ECB to drive down attendance and interest in the other formats so they can justify its creation.

I really hope that cricket fans that have been watching T20 grow and grow since 2003 (let's not forget they are doing this at a point where the format is more popular than ever in England) stick to their county sides and support them more than ever but I get the feeling that we will be ignored in any case.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Instead we will be expected to get behind our closest Hundred team which will be based at the home of our biggest rivals Nottinghamshire.
We’ll have the same at Worcestershire I imagine, going up to edgebaston. Which seems mad because they sell a good amount of tickets for the T20 games. Our game against Nottinghamshire last night was backed and it’ll be the same at New Road tonight. It’s not like they’re struggling for numbers in the T20 from the games I get to.

ChrisNelson

We’ll have the same at Worcestershire I imagine, going up to edgebaston. Which seems mad because they sell a good amount of tickets for the T20 games. Our game against Nottinghamshire last night was backed and it’ll be the same at New Road tonight. It’s not like they’re struggling for numbers in the T20 from the games I get to.
This is my biggest issue with it, grounds up and down the country are selling out left, right and centre.

I go to Trent Bridge every year to support Derbyshire in their away game there - in to the lions den - and very often we spend a good half an hour trying to find a seat and the same again queuing for a beer.

A friend and I try one new ground each year, this year it's Bristol and we've noticed the first 2 Gloucestershire home games are already sold out, we are going to the 3rd (vs. Essex).

People love the Blast in its current form and simply put this new format is not required. The IPL and Big Bash are absolutely massive sporting events and are broadcast around the world, the only reason this has been forced upon us is because the ECB is late to the party.

We've also been to Finals Day for the last 6 years but this year the prices have been hiked up and when taking in to account hotels, beer and travel it had just become too expensive to justify, particularly as we are unlikely to see our own team play there!

It's a classic case of trying to fix something that isn't broken. The biggest problem with English domestic cricket at present is the scheduling, it's an absolute mess and there are matches being played on stupid dates while lots of weekends and Bank Holidays remain blank. Again, as per my previous post this is a ploy by the ECB so they can say the grounds are empty and we needed to do something.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
We've also been to Finals Day for the last 6 years but this year the prices have been hiked up and when taking in to account hotels, beer and travel it had just become too expensive to justify, particularly as we are unlikely to see our own team play there!
The finals day is an absolute mess for sure, I’m lucky enough to have a friend who can almost always get tickets but we got an allocation of 530 tickets or whatever it was last year. I know New Road is only small but we are still selling the 5000 seats for normal blast games yet the team got to win in front of feck all of their fans. It’s a joke for a ground the size of edgebaston.

Totally agree with the rest, it’s like they’re trying to fix a problem that doesn’t exist. It’s the test games they could do with sorting, attendance for those is nowhere near the same level.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Well I think that there is a lot of money to be made in shorter forms for the ECB and unfortunately while it might shaft the loyal fans the current county system just can't be used to make much tv money . Current blast works great for the stadium going fans but overall it becomes a nothing tournament because at a time at which the T20 tournaments across the world are able to afford best players and show all the matches you have this tournament where 90% of the matches are not on Tv. Abdv scored a 40 ball 80 yesterday and Tom Banton made a crazy 50 but neither was on tv which is just not good enough in 2019

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
I know it's because of the World Cup, but that Ashes schedule looks crazy condensed.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Well I think that there is a lot of money to be made in shorter forms for the ECB and unfortunately while it might shaft the loyal fans the current county system just can't be used to make much tv money . Current blast works great for the stadium going fans but overall it becomes a nothing tournament because at a time at which the T20 tournaments across the world are able to afford best players and show all the matches you have this tournament where 90% of the matches are not on Tv. Abdv scored a 40 ball 80 yesterday and Tom Banton made a crazy 50 but neither was on tv which is just not good enough in 2019
I dont understand the logic of t20 vs 100.

Are ECB trying to kill t20 in UK? Cant see what new audience will come in for a product that seems at first glance, very similar. I hate the sound of it.

AshRK

But even for the domestic circuit they should focus on popularizing their t20 leagues. I just saw a glimpse of action from their t20 blast game and crowd came in decent number. Why not promote that and get new eye balls. It seems ECB are just trying to bring something new for the sake of it.

Djemba-Djemba

I dont understand the logic of t20 vs 100.

Are ECB trying to kill t20 in UK? Cant see what new audience will come in for a product that seems at first glance, very similar. I hate the sound of it.
I think they are annoyed they didn't get the full reward for creating t20 and they know they can't compete with the IPL.

So they're hoping The Hundred will be as successful and then they can cash in.

I think it's a stupid pointless idea, I know cricket should always try and evolve and attract new fans but this just sounds shit. They're talking about maybe getting rid of LBW for feck sake.

AshRK

I think they are annoyed they didn't get the full reward for creating t20 and they know they can't compete with the IPL.

So they're hoping The Hundred will be as successful and then they can cash in.

I think it's a stupid pointless idea, I know cricket should always try and evolve and attract new fans but this just sounds shit. They're talking about maybe getting rid of LBW for feck sake.
I don't think they should be focused on competing with IPL. IPL has been here for more than a decade and is here to stay. Maybe if ECB tried to promote their T20 league it will also do reasonably well. Since IPL there have been many other countries who have started their own t20 leagues and have done reasonably well. I don't see why ECB cannot do the same with their T20 blast and who know it might eventually become quite popular.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
EURO T20 SLAM: 30 August–22 September 2019.
Hosts‎: ‎33 matches in Ireland, Netherlands and Scotland
Featuring:
Shane Watson, Imran Tahir, Shahid Afridi, JP Duminy, Eoin Morgan, Babar Azam, Martin Guptill, Chris Lynn, Brendon McCullum, Dale Steyn, Rashid Khan, Luke Ronchi, Ben Cutting, Mohammad Amir, Fakhar Zaman, Ravi Bopara, Matt Henry, Shaheen Afridi Colin Ingram, Tymal Mills, Hasan Ali.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Euro_T20_Slam

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/...sent-dublin-franchise-inaugural-euro-t20-slam

https://et20s.com/schedule/

ABOUT EURO T20 SLAM
Cricket, undoubtedly, is one of the most popular and loved sports across the globe. Cricket happens to be the national sport of several nations in all the continents. Euro T20 Slam is the first ever cricket league in Europe – the region that gave birth to the concept of leagues – and also the first one to be played in multiple countries.

ET20S has more than just one ‘firsts’. In this tournament, nations and not cities will be pitted against one another. ET20S also happens to be the first ever league to be sanctioned by the Cricket Ireland board along with the support from Netherlands Cricket and Cricket Scotland boards. ET20S is being promoted and organized by GS Holding Inc. and Woods Entertainment. The world is perhaps going to experience cricket in a magnitude never witnessed before.

The first-ever continent-based cricket league will unite the best cricketers from around the world in 6 teams and put up the strongest battle in the history of cricket. Euro T20 Slam aims to captivate attention globally and bring the fans of the cricketing world together.

The goals of Euro T20 Slam are promoting healthy competition and celebration of cricket. The 30 league matches and 3 knockouts – consisting of 2 teams from each of the three countries – will be played in the stadiums in Ireland the Netherlands and Scotland.

We extend our invites to all Full and Associate Board members of the ICC to truly achieve the aim of a Global Cricket League! A strategic team composition will ensure participation of players from all the cricket boards. Legends of cricket will form an exclusive advisory panel for ET20S.

ET20S will have the following 6 franchises represents Ireland, the Netherlands and Scotland:

Ireland:
Franchises: Dublin and Belfast
Stadium: Malahide Cricket Club, Dublin
Netherlands:
Franchises: Rotterdam & Amsterdam
Stadium – VRA Cricket Academy, Amsterdam
Scotland:
Franchises – Edinburgh & Glasgow
Stadium – The Grange Club, Edinburgh

Last edited:

JohnnyKills

I don't think they should be focused on competing with IPL. IPL has been here for more than a decade and is here to stay. Maybe if ECB tried to promote their T20 league it will also do reasonably well. Since IPL there have been many other countries who have started their own t20 leagues and have done reasonably well. I don't see why ECB cannot do the same with their T20 blast and who know it might eventually become quite popular.
Completely agree. Don't see why we don't need another format. Surely three is enough.

Guess the problem is that the counties won't submit to the city-based format the ECB wants, so they have to create a new tournament. Still, there must be a better solution than this.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
New trial of 4 day test matches.. a la day/night test matches
How often does a modern day test go into the 5th day these days anyway?

I have always wondered how 20/20 will long term adversely affect players ability to play a patient test innings.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Completely agree. Don't see why we don't need another format. Surely three is enough.

Guess the problem is that the counties won't submit to the city-based format the ECB wants, so they have to create a new tournament. Still, there must be a better solution than this.
Four formats if you count the UAE T10 league which you may as well if you’re counting the 100.

But you’re right the main issue is the ECB wants a city-based format that newcomers to cricket might find easier to digest particularly with just 8 teams compared to 18 counties.

zing

Zingle balls
How often does a modern day test go into the 5th day these days anyway?

I have always wondered how 20/20 will long term adversely affect players ability to play a patient test innings.
Less than it used to, but teams are way more likely to play for a 4th day draw if you keep the pitches the same, imo.