English cricket thread

diarm

That is so poor from Bairstow.

What the feck was he doing there?
The catch Wilson took from Ali's edge was definitely a more difficult chance than the one Bairstow just ignored.

Even taking the greater pace into account.

zing

Zingle balls
I think this will have no bearing on the Ashes. England might do badly there as well but this is a pretty terrible 11 they've put out - especially with batting positions 5 onwards.

diarm

Phil Tufnell on BBC saying Root needs to tell the bowlers to pull their fingers out. After the way he batted and then dropped that catch I reckon they'll be telling him where to stick his fingers!

paulscholes18

England are going to lose by an innings, with the bowling only missing Anderson that’s embarrassing

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
England are going to lose by an innings, with the bowling only missing Anderson that’s embarrassing
It's missing Rashid, Anderson and Archer from the side that will probably start the first test. Possibly not Rashid.

JohnnyKills

He's a good player, but (and this serves as something of a reply to @JohnnyKills point about CC failing yesterday) he's definitely a beneficiary of the ECB relegating CC matches to the extremes of the season where pitches are greenest. Not sure it really helps anyone apart from dibbly dobbly, accurate seamers who can nibble it around and even then, I'm not sure it's giving them the challenge to wrinkle out wickets on pitches that aren't conducive to that sort of bowling.
Was literally thinking the same thing during our collapse earlier.

The only people who seem to benefit from the current CC schedule are people like Murtagh and Darren Stevens.

If England needed to rustle up a medium-pacer from the shires for a green-top pitch tomorrow, they'd have an abundance of players who could come in and do the job. But if they need to find a spinner, pace bowler or batsman it's a complete lottery.

Genuinely think we need to scrap the Championship and replace it with a regional comp, organised by the ECB and played when it suits the national team. At present the system is neither producing test-quality players nor bringing in money, so it's not fit for purpose.

Last edited:

JohnnyKills

Yeah I don't think the team selection was arrogant.

The cricketing schedule is crazy and with this new ICC test championship thing I don't know when else they could fit in a test match with Ireland. It had to come between a World Cup and an Ashes and so we were always going to have injured and exhausted players.

Personally I'd have rested every member of the WC team.

This isn't about arroagance, it's about us being a bad test side prone to pathetic collapses in any conditions.
This.

We've lost all 10 wickets in a session four times in the last three years. Previously it hadn't happened since 1938.

Makes you realise how good the likes of Bell, Trott and Collingwood were doesn't it.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Over rate is pathetic today, as it often is. Thankfully severe punishments incoming when the test championship starts:

diarm

Over rate is pathetic today, as it often is. Thankfully severe punishments incoming when the test championship starts:

Is the over rate not always going to be a bit short when you have ten wickets in under a session? There were about 5 England batsmen who spent longer padding up than they did at the crease.

zing

Zingle balls
Weren't we supposed to have shirt numbers for this test?

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Poor show by Ireland. They needed a lead around 150 runs to stand a chance.

paulscholes18

You are allowed to have two world class players to save you in a match. That's kind of the idea.
Don’t get what your on about, never said you wasn’t. They were the difference between what happened in the World Cup final and what happened without them today

JohnnyKills

If there was an obvious solution of when to play Ireland in a test series then you could label England arrogant for scheduling a one off 4 day test inbetween a WC and the Ashes.

But I don't think there is an obvious solution so I just don't see how it's arrogant by the ECB.

Back on topic, this is a fecking shit start to the bowling. I know it's not easy when you only have 85 on the board but come on lads.
Agree mate. The only other option would be to play them at the end of the Ashes and they don't finish until mid-September.

If you'd asked the Irish board whether they wanted a shoehorned test now or wait until next year, they'd have chosen the first option, no question.

Djemba-Djemba

Agree mate. The only other option would be to play them at the end of the Ashes and they don't finish until mid-September.

If you'd asked the Irish board whether they wanted a shoehorned test now or wait until next year, they'd have chosen the first option, no question.
Yeah I just don't see a better solution to what's actually happened.

In an ideal world we'd play Ireland in a proper 3 or 4 match series of 5 day tests, but with the current schedule it's just not feasible.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
My guess is that when Ireland come out tomorrow and it's already 32 degrees at 11am it's going to prove too difficult for them in the field but they've given themselves a chance. Really happy for them.

Djemba-Djemba

My guess is that when Ireland come out tomorrow and it's already 32 degrees at 11am it's going to prove too difficult for them in the field but they've given themselves a chance. Really happy for them.
If they're only in the field for 20 overs again they might be fine!

Djemba-Djemba

Broad bowled well today. Took wickets and should have taken more if not for Root dropping one and Bairstow not bothering to try and catch another.

He'd definitely be in my team to play Australia at Edgbaston.

JohnnyKills

Bairstows recent record in test cricket in England is appalling.

I'd really be tempted to bring Foakes in.
Was thinking the same thing.

If he's not our best keeper and he can't bat higher than 7, perhaps Foakes is the better bet?