English cricket thread

JohnnyKills

Well done Aussies, especially Maxwell (Lancashire player and by all accounts a top guy).

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
What a match to end the series.

I've got to say, England, the touring teams and Sky have done a brilliant job this summer. No, it's not the same without the crowds, but it has been utterly absorbing. Some great cricket, and the commentary teams doing a great job.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Found this ... what a find! In my opinion, still the most elegant and classy looking batsman of all time.

Last edited:

NinjaFletch

I can't believe anyone could have watched these 11 balls and still think Root has no place in the T20 15. Such a classy player.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Here's my cricketing hot take, England and Australia play each other too often and it bores me. Thank you.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
What a match to end the series.

I've got to say, England, the touring teams and Sky have done a brilliant job this summer. No, it's not the same without the crowds, but it has been utterly absorbing. Some great cricket, and the commentary teams doing a great job.
Agreed it's been the only thing worth watching for ages.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I can't believe anyone could have watched these 11 balls and still think Root has no place in the T20 15. Such a classy player.
My problem with including him in the squad is then he'll use his political influence to ensure he always plays when he doesn't deserve to.
Also Vitality is a level below IPL, let along T20i.

MUM

Found this ... what a fine! In my opinion, still the most elegant and classy looking batsman of all time.

I remember the great, and irreplaceable, Henry Blofeld, Blowers, commentating on TMS.

He loved Gower, and if I remember rightly? In one match, he described him as he came onto the pitch, as though he was like a Greek God, his whites and golden hair blowing in the wind .....

RIP Blowers, the world is a little less without your eccentric attitude
Drink Wine, Eat Food, Go Out.

NinjaFletch

My problem with including him in the squad is then he'll use his political influence to ensure he always plays when he doesn't deserve to.
Also Vitality is a level below IPL, let along T20i.
Maybe maybe not, but he's in the best 15 T20 players in the country and has done it in a World Cup before. Come the tournament he might not be in the best nick, but it's asinine to take inferior players like Billings because of a fear that Root might do something. I don't think that's been a feature of Morgan's captaincy and if Root had that much power he'd be in the side already.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I remember the great, and irreplaceable, Henry Blofeld, Blowers, commentating on TMS.

He loved Gower, and if I remember rightly? In one match, he described him as he came onto the pitch, as though he was like a Greek God, his whites and golden hair blowing in the wind .....

RIP Blowers, the world is a little less without your eccentric attitude
Drink Wine, Eat Food, Go Out.
Yeah, that’s a historic piece of commentary.

Gower was admired and lusted after by women all around the world during his heyday. He was genuinely beautiful (as opposed to handsome) as his golden curls, blue eyes and languid style was unique. He was incredibly well mannered and educated but without ever being an upper class Toff or elitist, and that made him loved by the middle and lower classes.

He was also a longtime bachelor and ladies man and there many press reports of him meeting up on in London on Saturday nights with fellow playboy Imran Khan to party at Tramps nightclub.

As you can see I was a true fanboy of his. I spent so many days in my childhood watching him bat. I remember at school there was a TV in a small cabinet. I had a pocket radio and would listen out for when he came into bat. And I’d then bunk lessons and be in this tiny cabinet watching him bat :lol:. Saw many of his UK centuries that way. Teacher caught me once but let me off because he was also a big fan, but told me not to do it again.

life pleasures seems so much more innocent and simple back then.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Maybe maybe not, but he's in the best 15 T20 players in the country and has done it in a World Cup before. Come the tournament he might not be in the best nick, but it's asinine to take inferior players like Billings because of a fear that Root might do something. I don't think that's been a feature of Morgan's captaincy and if Root had that much power he'd be in the side already.

Keeps bowling like this and he'll have to get in the side. Outbowled and outbatted Malan tonight.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
My mate lives in NZ now and just ran into Stokes at a bar who’s fully out on the scoops :lol:

he just sent us a pic of them together, apparently he was really sound

MUM

A bit of good news on this crap Friday.

T20 Blast, the Rose's match, on SkySpCricket at 2.30 pm (GMT)

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
have they reopened the border? I thought it was impossible to get into new zealand
He’s gone back because his dads ill and he’s a NZ citizen anyway as he was born there so probably just had to quarantine on arrival or something like that

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
No test central contract for Bairstow which you have to say is entirely fair

JohnnyKills

Great win for Eng yesterday. Think they'd be even better if they swapped T Curran for Wood or Mahmood though.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Has all of this one day series been called off?
Not yet, but it possibly may be as England are also now waiting to see if their members have tested positive. Interesting article on CricInfo which gives some details on what’s gone on - Link

Nico87

Not yet, but it possibly may be as England are also now waiting to see if their members have tested positive. Interesting article on CricInfo which gives some details on what’s gone on - Link
Thanks!

Fortunately there is a lot of football on today anyway otherwise I’d have been more guttedit was called off. This excerpt from the article stood out “ All we do know is that this bubble is not as tightly controlled as those that were in place in England or at the IPL. Players are allowed to leave for rounds of golf at Boschenmeer” . Pointless having a bubble if you can go out for leisurely activities that can obviously make the whole thing redundant.

paulscholes18

That England team looks a very weak batting line up, with no Burns, stokes and Pope
Potential XI
Sibley
Crawley
Root
Bairstow
Butter
Foakes
Ali
Curran or Woakes
Bess
Broad
Anderson or Wood

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Three down and they've all been pretty woeful shots.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
As a neutral, Kusal Perera has to be one of the most entertaining players.

DOTA

Leach has started nicely. Bess not so much, despite the wicket.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
When you see some dismissals to bad balls you wonder if teams should take 1 village bowler just to throw batsmen off :lol:

DOTA

Does make you wonder why England favoured Bess over Leach for the tests vs Windies and Pakistan
The answer probably is Leach wasn't bowling this well then. He's looked as good as I've seen him so far this match.

Sri Lanka determined to give their wickets to Bess though...

EDIT - He's gonna somehow get a five for here, ffs.

Last edited: