English cricket thread

NinjaFletch

No, not really. Feel free to disagree with him but to say he talks rot is absurd
I think a lot of his opinions on cricket are very, very stale and he's incredibly reliant on tired clichés to mask the fact he doesn't watch a huge amount of cricket outside of the matches he's paid to comment on.

His views on players, technology, and basically anything that's come in to the game since he stopped playing himself just strike as very lazy.

He's great on any of the social issues surrounding the game and has a good voice for it, but I think he's become very Botham like.

JohnnyKills

I think a lot of his opinions on cricket are very, very stale and he's incredibly reliant on tired clichés to mask the fact he doesn't watch a huge amount of cricket outside of the matches he's paid to comment on.

His views on players, technology, and basically anything that's come in to the game since he stopped playing himself just strike as very lazy.

He's great on any of the social issues surrounding the game and has a good voice for it, but I think he's become very Botham like.
Would suggest you're in the minority there mate...

NinjaFletch

Would suggest you're in the minority there mate...
Probably, but this current exchange with Ebony Rainford-Brent is an excellent example of it.

Once you start noticing it you'll think it's amazing you hadn't spotted it sooner.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Really good innings from Sibley.

Obviously he doesn't currently have the shots to step it up and it became a silly game where he was either getting bowled reverse sweeping or hitting one up but that's not his fault. It's not his job. I can't imagine he will have been practising his 20/20 shots recently nor should he be.

Djemba-Djemba

I agree.

Thought his comments on Sibley went way too far

Djemba-Djemba

What did he say?
His general point was Sibley was batting too slowly.

Which in isolation isn't an awful take, but he just kept going on and on and on about it. The word Selfish was used about Sibley, not giving him credit for a brilliant innings.

It reminded me of Souness and Pogba, where sometimes Souness has had valid points about Pogba. But the way he just went after Pogba time and time again is what did my head in.

Djemba-Djemba

Only cause Ebs went on a weird one about how players should be selfish.
It was stupid by her to mention that yeah.

How was Sibley being selfish?

It just felt because it wasn't pretty to watch and they were a bit bored that they decided to just slag him off.

NinjaFletch

His general point was Sibley was batting too slowly.

Which in isolation isn't an awful take, but he just kept going on and on and on about it. The word Selfish was used about Sibley, not giving him credit for a brilliant innings.

It reminded me of Souness and Pogba, where sometimes Souness has had valid points about Pogba. But the way he just went after Pogba time and time again is what did my head in.
Yeah, classic example of Holding there. Bang on about a word out of context, make the same point that Ebony Rainford-Brent had made, and then prattle on about 'back in my day'.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
32 SR is selfish? I agree it's on the lower side but it's better having your opener bat through the opening day at that rate than batting at 50 SR and only surviving one session.

Weird thing to rant about especially considering how much Holding loves talking about everything being so much better back in the day. A bit ironic considering this would have been a blueprint innings for batsmen of his era.

NinjaFletch

32 SR is selfish? I agree it's on the lower side but it's better having your opener bat through the opening day at that rate than batting at 50 SR and only surviving one session.

Weird thing to rant about especially considering how much Holding loves talking about everything being so much better back in the day. A bit ironic considering this would have been a blueprint innings for batsmen of his era.
Annoyingly, that wasn't even really her point. She was saying more broadly that you have to look after yourself because no one else is going to and make sure you do your job and get your runs before anything else even if that 'is a bit selfish', but she then advocated for him putting his foot down and playing his shots now.

Holding latched on to the word 'selfish' and then started talking about how that word wasn't in his vocabulary when he played before making almost exactly the same point that Ebony Rainford-Brent had made.

JohnnyKills

Buttler just doesn't look the same player in red-ball cricket as he does in white-ball. It's like he doesn't trust himself at all.

It's a shame, because he's not just a slogger; when he plays white-ball he looks like a genuinely class player and he plays proper innings. You'd think he could apply that to red-ball.

It reminds me of when Michael Bevan played for Australia in the 90s. When he played white-ball he looked like the best batsman in the world, but he just didn't have the confidence to bring it across.

DOTA

I know four bowlers an all rounder and a decent part time spinner is usually enough but it is remarkable that the other five only have six first class wickets between them. Is a downside to picking a team of wicketkeepers.

paulscholes18

I know four bowlers an all rounder and a decent part time spinner is usually enough but it is remarkable that the other five only have six first class wickets between them. Is a downside to picking a team of wicketkeepers.
And the Don has 4 of them

DOTA

He was reported for it last time he was here wasn't he?

DOTA

Did Roach used to be quicker than this? I had in my mind before the series that he bowled a bit under 85mph but he's pretty much 80 every ball I've seen in the two matches.

JohnnyKills

I find something about Santner's t-rex front arm weirdly watchable and also love how dog shit Shantry's was :lol:
't-rex front arm' - that's it!!! it's like he's bowling in a shed and doesn't have the room to swing his arm properly.

JohnnyKills

Did Roach used to be quicker than this? I had in my mind before the series that he bowled a bit under 85mph but he's pretty much 80 every ball I've seen in the two matches.
Think he's just knackered after all the bowling he's done.

Cloud7

It's been a few years now that he's been around this pace. Used to be much quicker, but injuries and what not.