English cricket thread

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Gabriel looks, understandably, absolutely shot.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Gabriel looks, understandably, absolutely shot.
Holder/West Indies made a really big mistake bowling first without making any changes to the attack. Back to back tests after a long lay-off is a killer.

DOTA

Holder/West Indies made a really big mistake bowling first without making any changes to the attack. Back to back tests after a long lay-off is a killer.
Agree entirely. I was convinced when I saw we were batting first that we'd won the toss.

If we get a decent amount of play tomorrow they could easily be bowling again by tea.

DOTA

I didn't recognise Woakes until his name popped up :eek:
I think it suits him.

EDIT - Given how superstitious cricketers can be I'm excited to find out who goes on a really good run of form and refuses to cut their hair for two years.

JohnnyKills

Think it's a tough pitch to bat on and the outfield is slow as shit, which is why criticism of Sibley seemed a bit misplaced for me.
Yeah that's my feeling too. The pace England batted certainly suggested they were happy with their score.

NinjaFletch

Is there actually anything to this?

All the footy players were cut
The footballers were held to different standards, and most of them had had cuts when all the barbers were supposedly shut.

The cricketers have been in the hotel since before they reopened and the ECB haven't let a hairdresser in. Anderson's mentioned it on the tailenders podcast.

arnie_ni

The footballers were held to different standards, and most of them had had cuts when all the barbers were supposedly shut.

The cricketers have been in the hotel since before they reopened and the ECB haven't let a hairdresser in. Anderson's mentioned it on the tailenders podcast.
Thanks for that!

zing

Zingle balls
Seeing a lot of criticism for Sibley everywhere. His strike rate is slow but it’s a bit early to be piling on to a guy without seeing what he can do and whether the strike rate is actually a problem. He has just made a century but you wouldn’t realise it if reading some of the stuff online.

Worst case you’d rather have a guy who needs to improve his strike rate than one who needs to improve his average surely..

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Seeing a lot of criticism for Sibley everywhere. His strike rate is slow but it’s a bit early to be piling on to a guy without seeing what he can do and whether the strike rate is actually a problem. He has just made a century but you wouldn’t realise it if reading some of the stuff online.

Worst case you’d rather have a guy who needs to improve his strike rate than one who needs to improve his average surely..
Agreed, the innings he played over these first two days would be a great addition to any first innings card. He has partners who can score at a quicker lick when necessary, as Stokes showed after he'd got his own century. The worry would be if he stays this one note and slow when he's not scoring runs and starts to waste precious time for little reward, but even then occupying the crease, tiring the bowlers and wearing down the new ball are all important facets of this form of the game. You'd think after some embarrassing collapses and a painstaking search for top order batsmen who can actually handle Test cricket we'd universally welcome a proper innings from a relatively young opener, but there we are.

fecking rain.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
What's all this then? It's not English cricket but I just heard on TMS about this 3Team Challenge going on in South Africa, being broadcast live on the BBC Sport website https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/cricket/53433563

The rules are:

1. A match between three teams with eight players each

2. 36 overs in two halves of 18 overs

3. One innings of 12 overs each per team

4. Bat and bowl to one opponent in each half for six overs

5. After seventh wicket the not-out batter stands alone

6. Maximum three overs per bowler to either opponent

7. The team with the most runs wins

I've read the rules several times and still don't have a fecking clue what's going on, but I'll take a little look at the second half and see if I can get a grip of it.

zing

Zingle balls
What's all this then? It's not English cricket but I just heard on TMS about this 3Team Challenge going on in South Africa, being broadcast live on the BBC Sport website https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/cricket/53433563

The rules are:

I've read the rules several times and still don't have a fecking clue what's going on, but I'll take a little look at the second half and see if I can get a grip of it.
It sounded so complex that i have no interest in opening even the scorecard

paulscholes18

The rules are:

Been watching for a few minutes, think I get it now, much more simple then the rules look

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
:lol:

I've got it on, it's just T20 on steds. Three more scoring areas opened with only eight players in the field and the madness of the bowling team and batting team swapping seemingly at random. AB called it a 'gamechanger'.

paulscholes18

Not as complicated as it looks

3 teams of 8 players
Each team bowl 6 overs (so each team face 12 in total)
Team with the most runs wins

ArmchairCritic

It's a load of rubbish. We have just spent the last 4 years nailing the England team for playing too freely and not valuing their wickets. Sibley was only batting a lick slower than Ben fecking Stokes for most of his innings and once Sibley did get out after setting a fantastic platform, none of the middle order actually did anything of note. Sibley needs to add 1-2 shots to his repertoire to open up the game for himself but he's shown already that he's well up to the mental task of test cricket.

zing

Zingle balls
It's a load of rubbish. We have just spent the last 4 years nailing the England team for playing too freely and not valuing their wickets. Sibley was only batting a lick slower than Ben fecking Stokes for most of his innings and once Sibley did get out after setting a fantastic platform, none of the middle order actually did anything of note. Sibley needs to add 1-2 shots to his repertoire to open up the game for himself but he's shown already that he's well up to the mental task of test cricket.
I didn't see much of the cricket on day 2, but I felt like he was hampering Ben Stokes by not rotating strike on day 1. I think he has to be observed for more time and improve that facet of his game if that's the pace at which he plays every game, but it's too early to pass any sort of verdict.

ArmchairCritic

I didn't see much of the cricket on day 2, but I felt like he was hampering Ben Stokes by not rotating strike on day 1. I think he has to be observed for more time and improve that facet of his game if that's the pace at which he plays every game, but it's too early to pass any sort of verdict.
Strike rotation seems a general issue for England.

ArmchairCritic

Only 17 openers have scored a test century in England in the last 10 years.

DOTA

I do. 7 Englishmen, 3 Indians, 3 South Africans, 1 Australian, 1 Bangladeshi, 1 West Indian, 1 Sri Lankan.
Okay, some of these shouts could be ridiculous and I'm not entirely sure what was ten years ago and what was closer to fifteen but lets have a go.

I reckon Sibley's probably there... Cook, Strauss. Maybe Root got one opening?

Graeme Smith, Neil McKenzie, Carlos Braithwaite (EDIT - Kraigg) all ring bells. Maybe Warner got one once?

ArmchairCritic

Okay, some of these shouts could be ridiculous and I'm not entirely sure what was ten years ago and what was closer to fifteen but lets have a go.

I reckon Sibley's probably there... Cook, Strauss. Maybe Root got one opening?

Graeme Smith, Neil McKenzie, Carlos Braithwaite (EDIT - Kraigg) all ring bells. Maybe Warner got one once?
From 1st Jan 2010 to now, in order of most centuries in England to least:

1. A.Cook, England, 10x100s
=2. ?, India, 2x100s (an all-time great, played for Scotland a few times)
=2. ?, Australia, 2x100s (ex-Middlesex)
=2. A.Strauss, England, 2x100s
=2. ?, Bangladesh, 2x100s (their best ever batsman)
=3. K.Brathwaite, 1x100
=3. ?, England, 1x100 (Surrey)
=3. ?, Sri Lanka, 1x100 (has a shot named after them)
=3. ?, South Africa, 1x100 (still opening for them now)
=3. ?, England, 1x100 (Yorkshire)
=3. ?, South Africa, 1x100 (last county stint was for Lancashire)
=3. ?, India, 1x100 (the 100 in question was in Cook's last test!)
=3. ?, England, 1x100 (Middlesex)
=3. J.Root, England, 1x100
=3. D. Sibley, England, 1x100
=3. G.Smith, South Africa, 1x100
=3. ?, India, 1x100 (did a county stint for Somerset)

zing

Zingle balls
From 1st Jan 2010 to now, in order of most centuries in England to least:

=2. ?, India, 2x100s (an all-time great, played for Scotland a few times)
=2. ?, Australia, 2x100s (ex-Middlesex)
=2. ?, Bangladesh, 2x100s (their best ever batsman)
=3. K.Brathwaite, 1x100
=3. ?, England, 1x100 (Surrey)
=3. ?, Sri Lanka, 1x100 (has a shot named after them)
=3. ?, England, 1x100 (Yorkshire)
=3. ?, India, 1x100 (the 100 in question was in Cook's last test!)
=3. ?, India, 1x100 (did a county stint for Somerset)
Rahul Dravid, Chris Rogers, Tamim Iqbal, Rory Burns, Dilshan, Rahul, Vijay

I don’t know the South African who played for Lancashire, the Yorkshire player for England - I recall Lyth but don’t know if he made a century. Nor the Middlesex opener.

Nice hints

ArmchairCritic

Rahul Dravid, Chris Rogers, Tamim Iqbal, Rory Burns, Dilshan, Rahul, Vijay

I don’t know the South African who played for Lancashire, the Yorkshire player for England - I recall Lyth but don’t know if he made a century. Nor the Middlesex opener.

Nice hints
=2. R.Dravid, India, 2x100s (an all-time great, played for Scotland a few times)
=2. C. Rogers, Australia, 2x100s (ex-Middlesex)
=2. T.Iqbal, Bangladesh, 2x100s (their best ever batsman)
=3. K.Brathwaite, 1x100
=3. R.Burns, England, 1x100 (Surrey)
=3. T.Dilshan, Sri Lanka, 1x100 (has a shot named after them)
=3. A.Lyth, England, 1x100 (Yorkshire)
=3. KL Rahul, India, 1x100 (the 100 in question was in Cook's last test!)
=3. M.Vijay, India, 1x100 (did a county stint for Somerset)

The South African who played for Lancashire has a common South African surname, same in pronunciation as one that an ex-England batsman had.

Hephaestus

=2. R.Dravid, India, 2x100s (an all-time great, played for Scotland a few times)
=2. C. Rogers, Australia, 2x100s (ex-Middlesex)
=2. T.Iqbal, Bangladesh, 2x100s (their best ever batsman)
=3. K.Brathwaite, 1x100
=3. R.Burns, England, 1x100 (Surrey)
=3. T.Dilshan, Sri Lanka, 1x100 (has a shot named after them)
=3. A.Lyth, England, 1x100 (Yorkshire)
=3. KL Rahul, India, 1x100 (the 100 in question was in Cook's last test!)
=3. M.Vijay, India, 1x100 (did a county stint for Somerset)

The South African who played for Lancashire has a common South African surname, same in pronunciation as one that an ex-England batsman had.
Alviro Petersen.

Think Morgan is the other English century, think he got a couple of test centuries.