English cricket thread

slyadams

Roy and Bairstow = best limited overs opening partnership in the world
Buttler = one of the best limited overs number 7s in the world

England = let's feck both of those up. I don't understand the logic. Buttler is at a point now where I think he needs a little rest.

JohnnyKills

Roy and Bairstow = best limited overs opening partnership in the world
Buttler = one of the best limited overs number 7s in the world

England = let's feck both of those up. I don't understand the logic. Buttler is at a point now where I think he needs a little rest.
Was in favour of Buttler opening in T20, purely because he's our most dangerous player and as an opener he gets the highest-possible number of balls. But kind of seeing the logic in dropping him back to No.6, simply because we've got loads of biffers at the top but not too many finishers who can play like him.

Stokes also showing why he should bat here. He's quite a slow starter, so we could get into trouble if he comes in down the order. I'd swap him and Morgan round.

Skills

Snitch
Was in favour of Buttler opening in T20, purely because he's our most dangerous player and as an opener he gets the highest-possible number of balls. But kind of seeing the logic in dropping him back to No.6, simply because we've got loads of biffers at the top but not too many finishers who can play like him.

Stokes also showing why he should bat here. He's quite a slow starter, so we could get into trouble if he comes in down the order. I'd swap him and Morgan round.
Bairstow
Roy
Stokes
Morgan
Buttler

?

I still think Root's got a place in this team

JohnnyKills

Bairstow
Roy
Stokes
Morgan
Buttler

?

Was thinking exactly the same thing. Where though?

Our most dangerous order is probably:

Roy
Banton
Bairstow
Stokes
Morgan
Buttler (floating role so can come in anywhere)
Ali

Skills

Snitch
Was thinking exactly the same thing. Where though?

Our most dangerous order is probably:

Roy
Banton
Bairstow
Stokes
Morgan
Ali
I'd keep him at 3 but send him in if you lose a wicket in the first 4 overs. Overs 4-10, you juggle between Stokes and Root at 3 (closer you are to 10 the more I want to send Stokes in instead).

I like the idea of Roy and Bairstow having the license to basically almost win the game in the first powerplay. It's England's biggest weapon in my opinion.

Bairstow
Roy
Stokes
Morgan
Buttler

?

You can make a case for Root as a #4 in this side. I think I’d favour bringing in Banton to top 3, or Livingstone in at 3 and move Buttler back down to 5/6 and float him up the order depending on game situation

Hales in there would be a better option than Denly. Malan also.

JohnnyKills

You can make a case for Root as a #4 in this side. I think I’d favour bringing in Banton to top 3, or Livingstone in at 3 and move Buttler back down to 5/6 and float him up the order depending on game situation

Hales in there would be a better option than Denly. Malan also.
Don't think Hales is a particularly versatile player, and he's very much persona non grata at the moment isn't he.

Malan is an interesting one though. He's very much a strokeplayer who can knock it around, surely he'd be a natural for the no.6 role?

Don't think Hales is a particularly versatile player, and he's very much persona non grata at the moment isn't he.

Malan is an interesting one though. He's very much a strokeplayer who can knock it around, surely he'd be a natural for the no.6 role?
I agree re Hales

Good BBL though and clearly a good batsman. I know the chance of him coming back in as a non-starter.

Playing Denly ahead of him is inexcusable though

Not sure how popular Malan is in the setup, missed it at the time but wasn’t Morgan critical of him protecting his average and refusing to run last ball of an innings. So maybe he is as much of a non-starter as Hales

Banton I rate, looks a real talent. Similarly Livingstone as well. Both had good BBLs

This for me should be our top 7

Roy
Bairstow/Banton
Banton/Livingstone/Bairstow
Morgan
Stokes
Buttler
Ali

Could get Root in. But not sure you need need a Root type in a T20 game

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Not sure how popular Malan is in the setup, missed it at the time but wasn’t Morgan critical of him protecting his average and refusing to run last ball of an innings. So maybe he is as much of a non-starter as Hales
Must sting for Malan that he scored a century in his last game and he has to watch Denly play ahead of him. I suppose he is at least in the squad so he can't be in the exact same situation as Hales.

Given Stokes is a slow starter, having him ahead of Morgan might be better. It doesn't help the England side is so imbalanced, someone like Moeen who is much against spin than pace typically plays exclusively against pace.

slyadams

I don't see a place for Root in this team. Stokes can play the moderated innings if you need one. My top 7 would be:

Roy
Bairstow
Banton
Morgan
Stokes
Buttler
Ali

I see no reason to break up Roy/Bairstow.

Balljy

I think virtually entire teams should have that role and have always wondered why positions are so fixed. The type of player you need at 20 for 3 is different to the one at 130 for 1. Someone to stabilise things in the team in case of the former (and would probably never bat in the latter) and move the big hitters up when going well.

The same goes for tests as well as Twenty20

slyadams

An absolutely insane decision to bowl Curran last over. I would have gone Stokes 19th and Jordan 20th.

Nico87

I’ve stated before that I’m a new convert to cricket but is T20 often this exciting?. The intensity is incredible and it seemingly rains sixes.

I’ve stated before that I’m a new convert to cricket but is T20 often this exciting?. The intensity is incredible and it seemingly rains sixes.
You don’t always get a finish like this
And of course you can get games that are low scoring and or one-sided.

But generally speaking the international game does seem to see a lot of boundaries and 6s

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
It often is. T20 is very viewer friendly compared to other formats. Much more likely to end with a dramatic finish.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Reckon England should try Stokes @ 3, Moeen @ 5 and Buttler @ 6. Stokes doesn't face enough balls and can anchor the innings, Moeen needs to match up against the spinners in the middle overs and Buttler can match up against the quicks at the end. Denly batting ahead of Ali is just bizarre.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Incredible games! Sets up the final one nicely.

paulscholes18

An absolutely insane decision to bowl Curran last over. I would have gone Stokes 19th and Jordan 20th.
After what he done in the T29 final and on the IPL Stokes is the last person you give death overs to. In the last ODI match Jordan went for 28 in his last 2 overs Curran went for 11. For me Curran is 2nd to Archer for England at death bowling

Denly has been unwell so Malan in at 4

Can’t help but feel that’s a better side although lower down the order you don’t always get the chance to start slowly like Malan can before he explodes

ha_rooney

Really good partnership from these 2 should see england home

ha_rooney

Excellent from Morgan. Very good game, great series.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
England stacked with T20 talent right now.

Lots of opportunity to fine-tune form with IPL and iT20's before end of year T20 World Cup.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I don't see a place for Root in this team. Stokes can play the moderated innings if you need one. My top 7 would be:
Agreed.

Roy, Buttler, Bairstow, Banton, Morgan, Stokes, Malan, Livingstone (even Denly)

With such proven batting talent at Englands disposal, Root has no role to play.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
That is a batsmen too many. England need Stokes and 5 bowling options for variety.
I'm saying thats the list of T20 batsman available for England to pick from. Root has no role when faced with such competition for places.

I'm saying thats the list of T20 batsman available for England to pick from. Root has no role when faced with such competition for places.
I don’t know, been thinking about this during today’s game

And I’m really torn, in a game (and pitch) like today you clearly don’t need a Root type with a SR of 120ish, just stack the team with six 140+ SR players

But reflecting on last summers 50 over World Cup and as pitches wear and pressure builds I do wonder if a Root, Williamson style player becomes of even more value to knit an innings together

JohnnyKills

Get Banton in for Malan and Archer for Curran and move Buttler to number 6 and that improves the team.
Agree with Banton and Buttler (come round to the idea of him batting in the middle) but I think Curran has to play for his variations. We don't really have anyone else like that.

Archer comes in for Wood I reckon.