English cricket thread

zing

Zingle balls
Yes, F1 had drivers going back to Monaco in between races too.

I'm not a fan of the statement the ECB put out, Archer knew his responsibilities and should have cleared any visit with the team first but there was no detail on what he exactly did (if he lives alone for instance, what is the risk?). I can understand the playing group feeling perhaps they need to apply some discipline to ensure the rest of the team does not transgress as there will be loads of players who would love to pop home in between tests. There is no suggestion of that in the statement however.
I think it's hard to regulate exemptions with enough nuance to say "going home is okay if you are living alone" and so on. He knew the rules - broad as they were, right or wrong, they are allowing the ECB to put on a very well organised series -- and he should've followed them.

If he had tested positive and infected 10 others, and it seems very easy for that to happen, he could've put the entire test match at risk.

zing

Zingle balls
Curran replaces Archer. Bess at 10. This is a more familiar England - batting all the way down to 10.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
I think it's hard to regulate exemptions with enough nuance to say "going home is okay if you are living alone" and so on. He knew the rules - broad as they were, right or wrong, they are allowing the ECB to put on a very well organised series -- and he should've followed them.

If he had tested positive and infected 10 others, and it seems very easy for that to happen, he could've put the entire test match at risk.
I agree, just think the ECB could have been a bit more transparent about it all, I imagine finding out the night before the test did not help their mood.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I'm disappointed too, was looking forward to watching Archer. I don't understand how the bubble works, are Wood and Anderson no longer in it, why can't they call them up? The England selection committee has not covered themselves in glory so far this series. Also letting the England players drive themselves between bubbles seems like an oversight considering all the other lengths they have gone to get cricket on.
Have no opinion on the morality on what Archer has done, as we live in a country where Cummings was let off for many many COVID-19 misdemeanours.

My main issue is Archer is box office and one of few reasons Im desperate to watch England play. So like you am very disappointed I won’t see him in action on a fast and bouncy track.

Last edited:

NinjaFletch

feck me if Chase is turning it square on the first morning this pitch is going to be a minefield.

zing

Zingle balls
This Roach delivery to Root seamed an insane amount. It was like really fast off spin.

ArmchairCritic

Nasser did a good bit assessing the distance between Root's feet and his weight transfer in the last 2 years to the year's prior. It's concerning he's spent a few months away and still has the same issues.

paulscholes18

Thank god for Nasser defending Sibley after Ebony was slagging him off for no reason, saying he’s sucking the life out of the game, what do you want him to do go after a wide one and get himself out like Root

NinjaFletch

Thank god for Nasser defending Sibley after Ebony was slagging him off for no reason, saying he’s sucking the life out of the game, what do you want him to do go after a wide one and get himself out like Root
It's been a good knock but Christ that was an underwhelming highlight real for his 50 :lol:

ArmchairCritic

I like Sibley, needs to work on a plan against spin otherwise he basically can't tour half of the world.

paulscholes18

It's been a good knock but Christ that was an underwhelming highlight real for his 50 :lol:
:lol: Not much out of the middle of the bat. Does make a change having an opener who can last longer than 5 minutes, think that’s why I like him so much, been a while since we had one.

paulscholes18

:lol:
Bayliss would’ve dropped him from the squad at tea time.

He’s one of the most boring plodders I’ve seen in awhile.
It’s whats required from someone from the top order, not an easy scoring pitch even Root and now Stokes are going under a 50SR

NinjaFletch

It’s whats required from someone from the top order, not an easy scoring pitch even Root and now Stokes are going under a 50SR
Yep he's doing his job and has done it well since he's come in to the side. I'd like to see him be able to accelerate a touch now, but I'd rather our openers be obdurate and lay a platform than flashy and shite.

ArmchairCritic

Good graft, there will be some nice footmarks by the 4th innings. On the evidence of today it might not be the worst thing for England to have a completely fresh bowling attack.

Last edited:

Cloud7

Barring a spectacular collapse in the morning, I think England are going to bat us out of this match in this first innings

NinjaFletch

Amusing to hear Athers complaining about the pace of this innings given that list.

For what it's worth I think this pitch is shite.

paulscholes18

Amusing to hear Athers complaining about the pace of this innings given that list.
True he’s in 4 times in the top 5 (6 now Sibley got his ton)
Been a difficult track to score on, even Stokes looks like he’s going to take 250+ deliveries to get there. Rather have my opener 50 from 150 and be not out than 40 off 50 and back in the pavilion

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
What's he saying? Neither he nor Nas can talk, though to be fair to the latter I heard he spoke up for Sibley when Ebony was questioning the pace of the innings.

I'm very pleased for Sibley and am also impressed with Stokes being able to follow suit and put up his own watchful ton (almost :nervous:).

NinjaFletch

True he’s in 4 times in the top 5 (6 now Sibley got his ton)
Been a difficult track to score on, even Stokes looks like he’s going to take 250+ deliveries to get there. Rather have my opener 50 from 150 and be not out than 40 off 50 and back in the pavilion
Yep, Stokes has faced more balls here than in any other innings and has a double ton.

I do think Sibley looks shotless though, tbh, he's clothed cuts and pulls all innings. I don't think he needs to fundamentally alter his approach though, he just needs to cash in better on the dog shit he forces out of bowlers.

Skills

Snitch
He does need to pick up tbf. I don't this a sub 40 strike rate has a place in modern test cricket. Even Cook scored at 45