English cricket thread

zing

Zingle balls
Chris Rogers incidentally is the only player to have his name on both the home and away honours boards at Lords. Middlesex and Australia.

I thought Tim Murtagh might be on it as well as he took that five for for Ireland vs England last year but I’m not able to find anything on google indicating he’s got a five for for Middlesex at home.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I'm guessing Dravid was an overseas player for Scotland back when they played the one day cup?

zing

Zingle balls
From the Guardian OBO.

It’s still raining in Manchester. I don’t think I’m betraying state secrets to suggest there will be no play today. We’re just waiting for a play to be officially abandoned for the day.

Draw it is, then. Cannot see WI getting bowled out 2x in 2 days on this pitch.

As someone not from the UK, I find it strange how it's always raining at the cricket, but never noticed rain when the football is on. It feels like two different countries.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
1. A.Cook, England, 10x100s
=2. R.Dravid, India, 2x100s
=2. C. Rogers, Australia, 2x100s
=2. A.Strauss, England, 2x100s
=2. T.Iqbal, Bangladesh, 2x100s
=3. K.Brathwaite, 1x100
=3. R.Burns, England, 1x100
=3. T.Dilshan, Sri Lanka, 1x100
=3. D.Elgar, South Africa, 1x100
=3. A.Lyth, England, 1x100
=3. A.Petersen, South Africa, 1x100
=3. KL Rahul, India, 1x100
=3. S.Robson, England, 1x100
=3. J.Root, England, 1x100
=3. D. Sibley, England, 1x100
=3. G.Smith, South Africa, 1x100
=3. M.Vijay, India, 1x100

Full list @zing @Hephaestus @DOTA

zing

Zingle balls
Which country is it where they start an hour earlier to make up for lost time?

I feel like England did this but hasn’t happened this series. Not sure if I’m mixing something up

ArmchairCritic

I feel like England did this but hasn’t happened this series. Not sure if I’m mixing something up
Never happened in England. I seem to recall the start time in South Africa being an hour earlier in terms of local time when England toured there this winter? Also seem to have some recollection of Sri Lanka doing something different as teams largely tour over there in the middle of monsoon season.

croadyman

Night watchman putting Broad to the sword :lol:
Curran must be gutted that he couldn't convince Root to review the LBW in the last couple of balls on Friday.

They would definitely have felt more pressure if the Windies started the day two down rather than one.

NinjaFletch

Not for a long time.

The theory is that a 10.30 start gives the bowlers far too much assistance.

zing

Zingle balls
Never happened in England. I seem to recall the start time in South Africa being an hour earlier in terms of local time when England toured there this winter? Also seem to have some recollection of Sri Lanka doing something different as teams largely tour over there in the middle of monsoon season.
Not for a long time.

The theory is that a 10.30 start gives the bowlers far too much assistance.
Thanks.

ArmchairCritic

Today showing so far why Woakes and Broad did not get the nod in the last test.

ArmchairCritic

My hot take of the series so far:

I like the cut of Stokes' jib as captain more than Root. He probably made the wrong decision at the toss at the Ageas Bowl but I feel like he's more measured than Root and less prone to letting his emotions dictate his actions (i.e. that review on Brathwaite).

paulscholes18

Sam Curran showing why he should be playing more often in England.

Anderson & Archer in for Broad and Woakes for the next test, unless they pull their finger out

zing

Zingle balls
Sam Curran showing why he should be playing more often in England.

Anderson & Archer in for Broad and Woakes for the next test, unless they pull their finger out
I am one of those who is constantly waiting for Curran to fail so that I can say told you so. He keeps taking wickets, though. I still don’t see him being a starter long term unless his batting becomes top 5 quality.

It’s too easy for WI right now. I wish we’d have some wickets because they retain the series with another 100 runs as it is.