English cricket thread

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Pakistan did well in the cricket that was played today, clear plan to graft out the first session and get more expansive after, Masood should have been out about 3 times mind. Already feels like this series will be defined by how Babar Azam goes.

YAMS49

In all honesty, I think it's pretty routine and he's made it look a lot harder with how bad an attempt he's made at collecting it.
At that level it was routine, he hardly moved. It was an easier chance than the catch for sure which either stick or not usually standing up dependant on the edge thickness.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
This stuff is great fun to watch! Even though its club first team, most have massive beer guts. Tiny boundaries too.

Last edited:

NinjaFletch

As soon as it was not given any perceived edge would have been tough to overrule. Did look like bat on lower pad though I agree.
I'd be happy with it not being given on the grounds there's too much doubt, but the speed and certainty with which he decided it had definitely been hit (despite the ultra edge spike looking weird for a think nick) rankled a bit.

YAMS49

I'd be happy with it not being given on the grounds there's too much doubt, but the speed and certainty with which he decided it had definitely been hit (despite the ultra edge spike looking weird for a think nick) rankled a bit.
Agree with you, doubt though goes to the batsman based on the original not out decision. Ultra Edge needs work on such instances.

What do you think the decision would have been had it been out on field and the batsman reviewed? Not too sure there myself.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Feels like the inevitable collapse has started.

paulscholes18

Agree with you, doubt though goes to the batsman based on the original not out decision. Ultra Edge needs work on such instances.

What do you think the decision would have been had it been out on field and the batsman reviewed? Not too sure there myself.
Don’t no why they don’t always have hotspot as well, or is it only in Australia that they use it

NinjaFletch

Has Archer actually bowled quickly since his elbow surgery?

I take all the points about him bowling slowly, but it would be nice to have seen more evidence of the fire and brimstone.

YAMS49

I take all the points about him bowling slowly, but it would be nice to have seen more evidence of the fire and brimstone.
No higher than 88mph I think. He's the kind of bowler that needs to be angry to get his top speed. One of those you never sledge, don't provoke him.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy

When was the surgery?

NinjaFletch

When was the surgery?
After the South Africa series.

No higher than 88mph I think. He's the kind of bowler that needs to be angry to get his top speed. One of those you never sledge, don't provoke him.
Yes, I think so, and I remember bellyaching about his pace before as well.

I am worried we've seen no evidence of him cranking it up since though, it wouldn't be the most unusual thing if elbow surgery had robbed him of his top pace.

paulscholes18

Didn’t know if he was deliberately taking a bit of pace off, and trying to be more accurate in English conditions

YAMS49

Yes, I think so, and I remember bellyaching about his pace before as well.

I am worried we've seen no evidence of him cranking it up since though, it wouldn't be the most unusual thing if elbow surgery had robbed him of his top pace.
His consistent pace is 86-88, he has an effort ball that rises from no where and appears to be unrecognizable in his action.... But he does seem to be the passive type by nature & needs to be fired up to get those lethal rising deliveries. I'd say he's a better option with crowds present to get the best from him.

NinjaFletch

Didn’t know if he was deliberately taking a bit of pace off, and trying to be more accurate in English conditions
Sure, and I think that's both fine and sensible, I mean we saw Wood bowl absolute gas at the Ageas bowl and he got carted everywhere, but I am a bit worried about whether it's still there.

NinjaFletch

Also think this is more nonsense from Root.

You're playing 4 seamers ffs, you can afford to bowl Archer/Woakes for 5 overs with the old ball.

NinjaFletch

30 free runs and 5 overs of sighters before the new ball.

God Root is a fecking moron sometimes.

ha_rooney

Good running between these 2. Hopefully we can get 270+

ArmchairCritic

I have noticed he gets quicker the longer he gets into a spell, he was @ 88mph before lunch. I think the Australians annoyed him quite a few times (that spell vs Smith was off the heels of Langer questioning if he can bowl quick for several spells) and he'd played a lot of cricket prior so was in good rhythm last summer. Whilst he needs to be looked after I do think he's one of these guys who needs loads of miles in the legs to be at full tilt, he's been up and down this summer rhythm wise.

Last edited:

ArmchairCritic

Also think this is more nonsense from Root.

You're playing 4 seamers ffs, you can afford to bowl Archer/Woakes for 5 overs with the old ball.
He could have even given Anderson and Broad an over each prior to the new ball. Add the cheap 27 he's given them in that spell post-lunch to the cheap 20 he gave them last night by not digging his heels in last night over the light.

ha_rooney

Very well played Shan. Gritty & patient innings.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Congrats to Shan for his 100. Fantastic knock and will give entire team massive boost of confidence.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Have England decided to revert to the days of bowlers having liquid lunches?

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
350 will be a very good total for Pakistan if they can get there.
Will give the 2 leggies plenty of runs to play with.

Last edited:

NinjaFletch

I've loved the background noise the Pakistani dressing room have given throughout this innings.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Class knock especially considering Anderson's has had him on toast on all previous encounters.

NinjaFletch

So you bowl dog shit with the old ball to rush towards the new ball, completely throw away your grip on the game, and then give up with the new ball after 9 overs?

Awful, awful afternoon from Root. The sort of afternoon where you think surely nobody could do worse.