English cricket thread

zing

Zingle balls
Why is Bairstow going back? Has he been in any biosecure bubbled after the IPL?

JohnnyKills

If we're being honest I think England have basically not prepared for India away. All we've heard since the last Ashes tour is building for the next Ashes tour and there's been very little, if any, talk about preparing for the actual most difficult away tour in test cricket. Of course it's difficult to prepare without having actual wickets that replicate Indian conditions but once again, there's been little in the way in planning for it.

Completely agree with the pace obsession. We've just seen India turn the series in Australia by going with 2 spinners. There's a school of thought that one of Broad or Anderson would not play the first test in the Ashes, I think both of them still should. I think England's problem in Australia will be spinners letting batsmen off the hook after probing spells by the quicks. Wherever Anderson goes now, even if he does not take wickets his control is so good he basically holds up an end as if he is a spinner himself.
Broad and Anderson played every test of the last Ashes and we got smashed, so I think we have to try something different this time. Rotating them seems fine. And we can't rely on our spinners because, well... We've just seen why.

Agree on the big picture though. We should be looking at the India series as being equally important as the Ashes.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Agree with the general vibe in here that we seem to be bizarrely throwing the India series and accepting we will lose by a few tests.

Dissapointing attitude but English cricket always picks the Ashes as piriroty particularly in a feck up of a calendar like this year.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Really good from Buttler so far.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
That was weird the one angle looked straight off the boot and the other angle looked like it caught the floor too

Dan_F

That was weird the one angle looked straight off the boot and the other angle looked like it caught the floor too
I thought that too, but I think it was because the fielder was in the way. England have a big problem now. Will need Root to take control and get within 50 runs.

DOTA

I think it was out. The angle that wasn't clear was mainly cause we needed a frame between the two we had. The other angle it was obvious.

DOTA

Unlucky dismissal that
A bit. It's a false shot though. It's not as bad as when you middle on into short leg and it pops up like that one smacked in to Bairstow last match.

DOTA

Root passes Pietersen's runs total, in less matches and at a better average. As he should pass everyone but Cook.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Thank god for Joe Root eh, although still needs to carry on a while longer

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Man it's good to have Root back.
So good and you can tell what kind of form he's in by the tempo he bats at. I think I read this is the first time he's got back to back hundreds in test matches, would be a brilliant time to develop a ruthless streak.

NinjaFletch

Dickwella's desire to just talk to everyone is proper keepers stuff. You love to see it.

DOTA

Dickwella's desire to just talk to everyone is proper keepers stuff. You love to see it.
I don't know if you caught it on Sky when Jayawardene was asked about it and he said Dickwella went to the same school as Sangakkara so he's not surprised.

DOTA

It's getting pretty ugly from Root now. I suppose you're not really allowed to 'retired knackered' and then come back later.

Nico87

Root is running on empty now, hopefully Wood can get a decent cameo and score quickly to try and break even.

Dan_F

Time for the tail to swing the bat. I think Joe’s struggling to lift his :lol:

DOTA

I think Leach can bat ahead of Wood next time.

DOTA

I would quite like Embuldeniya to get the nine for. He's done so well this series.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Idiotic from Wood.

10 minutes to stumps and you're trying to smash their best bowler for 6
I reckon that was probably planned. Send Wood out to smash a few, get Leach in with Root tomorrow to block at one end and let Root continue to do what he's doing with a night's sleep under his belt.