English cricket thread

Djemba-Djemba

Brilliant partnership by Broad and Woakes.

80 run lead isn't as much as I wanted but it's better than it looked like it would be .

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Jimmy's fecking reverse sweep...

Cloud7

How many players like Moeen have there been in test cricket who come into the side as a top order batsman, then becomes a batsman who can bowl a bit, then becomes a batsman and first pick spinner and now is just a spinner?
:lol:

Cloud7

The real question is, who’s watching the real cricket, the WI India T20i

Dan_F

I hope this isn't the last we see of Jimmy for England.

Bit of a sad end if it is.
He’s pulled his calf, not lost his leg. Even if he can’t play again in the ashes, he won’t retire straight away.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
He’s pulled his calf, not lost his leg. Even if he can’t play again in the ashes, he won’t retire straight away.
But he.now has serious competition for his place with Archer, Wood, Curren and others in the wings, and Woakes and Broad in red hot form.

Djemba-Djemba

I was hoping for a 150 lead this morning but when Bairstow got out I thought we'd fecked it totally.

I'll take a 90 run lead.

Need some early wickets after tea.

Dan_F

But he.now has serious competition for his place with Archer, Wood, Curren and others in the wings, and Woakes and Broad in red hot form.
Obviously he hasn’t got long left, but he’ll decide his last test.

Dan_F

There’s absolutely no way Warner didn’t feel that.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
How many runs lead to Australia need to be in the game for 4th innings? 150?

Hephaestus

I said it before, other than Gilchrist I can't think of another Australian that has walked in the last 30 or 40 years.

Almost nobody does it, it was staggering hypocrisy from Australia.
It was. The difference is those idiots wasted their reviews in that test.

Just need someone to figure out how the hell we get rid of Smith.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
This is when Moeen needs to step up and take a couple of wickets. There’s turn there.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
Moeen is a very form dependent player. He's horrible at the moment, Leach needs to play rest of series. I don't think there is much between Root and Moeen as bowlers when Moeen is bowling badly, and Leach would be better bowling at Smith. I can't fathom how Moeen would get Smith out.

Djemba-Djemba

So 34/3 effectively.

All rests on getting Smith out early tomoz. If we get him out before lunch I think we win. If he goes on to make a good score we'll lose.

Australia are favourites I'd say.

Last edited:

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Anderson injury has been so huge in this match and could be the deciding factor tomorrow

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
So 34/3 effectively.

All rests on getting Smith out early tomoz. If we get him out before lunch I think we win. If he goes on to make a good score we'll lose.

Australia are favourites I'd say.
No way are we favourites. Essentially everything hinges on Smith having another tremendous innings.

Our bowling attack just isn't up to scratch IMO, we need Starc and Hazelwood back. Hazelwood in particular given he swings the ball.

Also I have to say that Broad would have to be the best #10 batsman of all time. Unbelievable how deep your line-up goes.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
I said it before, other than Gilchrist I can't think of another Australian that has walked in the last 30 or 40 years.

Almost nobody does it, it was staggering hypocrisy from Australia.
Agree. I think only Sangakarra and Gilly have done it - and unsurprisingly they are considered to be two of the true gents of the game, loved by everyone.

It's akin to booing when your team cops a penalty for a dive, and then cheers when your player dives to win one.

Those that booed must not have played before at any local level because I would be willing to bet that none of them have ever walked.

DOTA

No way are we favourites. Essentially everything hinges on Smith having another tremendous innings.

Our bowling attack just isn't up to scratch IMO, we need Starc and Hazelwood back. Hazelwood in particular given he swings the ball.

Also I have to say that Broad would have to be the best #10 batsman of all time. Unbelievable how deep your line-up goes.
Was helped massively by the fact it's very hard to bowl threatening short stuff on this pitch. Even then, you got him as soon as you really committed to the short stuff. Pitches with a little more pace in them should make it far easier for your bowlers to shift him quickly.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Was helped massively by the fact it's very hard to bowl threatening short stuff on this pitch. Even then, you got him as soon as you really committed to the short stuff. Pitches with a little more pace in them should make it far easier for your bowlers to shift him quickly.
Yeah they will target him, can't afford to let him get settled and get his eye in - there's nothing more disheartening than a strong tail end partnership.

How do you guys rate Broad vs Flintoff? I love Freddie and injuries didn't help him, but Broad is an all time great bowler IMO.

DOTA

Yeah they will target him, can't afford to let him get settled and get his eye in - there's nothing more disheartening than a strong tail end partnership.

How do you guys rate Broad vs Flintoff? I love Freddie and injuries didn't help him, but Broad is an all time great bowler IMO.
Wrong person to ask. My dad took nine year old me to Old Trafford in 1999 to watch Lancashire play Yorkshire in a first class match and I saw Flintoff smash 160 (111 of which came before lunch). After that I've been biased as hell when it comes to Flintoff.

Djemba-Djemba

Agree. I think only Sangakarra and Gilly have done it - and unsurprisingly they are considered to be two of the true gents of the game, loved by everyone.

It's akin to booing when your team cops a penalty for a dive, and then cheers when your player dives to win one.

Those that booed must not have played before at any local level because I would be willing to bet that none of them have ever walked.
Yeah nobody walks, I saw people criticising Warner for not walking yesterday but I don't really blame him for that.

I think Amla might walk too? That's the only other one I can think of.

You're right, the match is probably evenly poised. I'm just used to being pessimistic when it comes to England :lol:

Djemba-Djemba

Get Warne talking about cricket and spin he is great, anything else he because a massive flog.
Yeah his stuff when he's talking cricket tactics, and all the different things a bowler will be thinking about when setting a field and deciding what kind of delivery to each batsmen he'll make. It's all totally fascinating, hearing an absolute master explain why he was so good.

Anything else though and he's just terrible, I know he's biased and that's fine but he might as well be sat there singing waltzing matilda every time he gets on mic.

He's not been as bad as he was in 2013 when he was absolutely targeting Cook and slagging him off at every possible opportunity, probably at the request of his best mate Clarke, but there's a long way to go yet. I can see him going after Burns as the series goes on.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
He's got couple wickets for 100 on a pitch that's doing plenty for him. His overall average is the wrong side of 32 and going in the wrong direction last two years.

He's fine. He deserves his place and he's the best they've had since Warne but I think he's only decent. I don't think he's good.
I'm presuming you're talking Lyon, if yes then he's absolute class.

DOTA

I'm presuming you're talking Lyon, if yes then he's absolute class.
I am, yeah.
Even more so given he was a groundsman not too long, wasn't he?
I'd never heard that one. Just googled...

"An offspinner whose work as a curator took him from Canberra to Adelaide, Nathan Lyon completed a remarkable rise when he was picked in Australia's Test squad in July 2011. The previous year, he had taken up a job on the Adelaide Oval groundstaff, and his bowling talent was spotted by the Redbacks' Big Bash coach Darren Berry."

That's a great story.

zing

Zingle balls
Disappointing we don't get the pre match and post match stuff now in India. Sky coverage is top class..