English cricket thread

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Is it just me who believes that the England (and Wales) cricket team needs a proper team manager similar to football.
Players seem to be able to get away with appalling performances and then get picked again for the next match.
While it is a fully professional game, it seems to be managed by a completely out of date system amateurist system.
Cricket is a results based sport and needs to move with the times.

Boycott

It seems the batsmen who have put the cover drive away are the ones doing the best. Play straight, tuck off the hips and suddenly batting looks easy.

AshRK

Is it just me who believes that the England (and Wales) cricket team needs a proper team manager similar to football.
Players seem to be able to get away with appalling performances and then get picked again for the next match.
While it is a fully professional game, it seems to be managed by a completely out of date system amateurist system.
Cricket is a results based sport and needs to move with the times.
I do agree with it. I think a lot of coaches are just glorified cheer leaders. Look at Ravi Shastri for India, I seriously doubt if he has capabilities to improve any young player and neither does he come across as someone who has good tactical knowledge of the game. Mike Hesson seems to be very good at that and that is why I was a bit disappointed Indian board did not get him.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Both teams are pretty bad ... one of the worst england batting line ups in some years, though.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Both teams are pretty bad ... one of the worst england batting line ups in some years, though.
They’re not though. Both sides have plenty of talent to choose from. England don’t have options for the top order, but for the rest they’re brimming with talent.

NinjaFletch

They’re not though. Both sides have plenty of talent to choose from. England don’t have options for the top order, but for the rest they’re brimming with talent.
This is just crickets failure to properly define 'talent' though. Most of that middle order have played a large number of tests and average in the mid thirties with the bat, that's not a powerhouse middle order, it's just very average in a very shit team.

NinjaFletch

Was that Lasagnasalad on the stump mic saying 'oh that's a good ball' as he edged it?

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
So many decisions nowadays are overturned on review.

There must have been so many false decisions before DRS, impacting results and careers.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
So many decisions nowadays are overturned on review.

There must have been so many false decisions before DRS, impacting results and careers.
Everyone has a go at the umpires nowadays but imagine if DRS was around when Bucknor was making it up as he went along.

Rams

This is just crickets failure to properly define 'talent' though. Most of that middle order have played a large number of tests and average in the mid thirties with the bat, that's not a powerhouse middle order, it's just very average in a very shit team.
The problem is that most of the squad were playing white ball cricket this summer and didn’t get the chance to prepare themselves properly for red ball cricket, same applies to the aussies to some extent.
Root, Stokes, Bairstow, Buttler, Anderson, Broad, Wood and Archer are all World class cricketers And there are a whole bunch of talented young players coming through as well. But NO top order batsman!

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
The problem is that most of the squad were playing white ball cricket this summer and didn’t get the chance to prepare themselves properly for red ball cricket, same applies to the aussies to some extent.
Root, Stokes, Bairstow, Buttler, Anderson, Broad, Wood and Archer are all World class cricketers And there are a whole bunch of talented young players coming through as well. But NO top order batsman!
England wouldn't be so average in test cricket if they were all world class cricketers.

Rams

England wouldn't be so average in test cricket if they were all world class cricketers.
So you are denying that a Stokes or a Anderson are World class? All of those players I mentioned would walk in most test teams.

paulscholes18

Stokes, Bairstow and Buttler are class in white ball cricket but not close to world class in test match cricket if they were they would be averaging over well over 40 not well under.
Wood averages over 37 with the ball that’s not world class that’s shit

KM

So you are denying that a Stokes or a Anderson are World class? All of those players I mentioned would walk in most test teams.
Buttler. Bairstow. Stokes. Wood. Archer. aren't world class test players by any stretch of imagination. Broad is past his prime and whilst Joe Root is world class but he's at his best at number four and there's Virat Kohli and Steve Smith for that so he wouldn't get into India and Australia batting lineup.

Archer has played two test matches and both of them in England which always has been a test bowlers dream. Hold your horses about him being world class.

Last edited:

AshRK

Maybe in WI or SL's team but not in India or Australia's side.

Rams

Buttler. Bairstow. Stokes. Wood. Archer. aren't world class test players by any stretch of imagination. Broad is past his prime and whilst Joe Root is world class but he's at his best at number and there's four there's Virat Kohli and Steve Smith for that so he wouldn't get into India and Australia batting lineup.

Archer has played two test matches and both of them in England which always has been a test bowlers dream. Hold your horses about him being world class.
Stokes, Archer/Wood, Anderson would surely for India and possibly Root lower down the order. For Australia Stokes, Root, Bairstow/Buttler, Anderson, Archer/Wood.

JohnnyKills

Buttler. Bairstow. Stokes. Wood. Archer. aren't world class test players by any stretch of imagination. Broad is past his prime and whilst Joe Root is world class but he's at his best at number four and there's Virat Kohli and Steve Smith for that so he wouldn't get into India and Australia batting lineup.

Still bitter about the world cup are we?

Rams

Stokes, Bairstow and Buttler are class in white ball cricket but not close to world class in test match cricket if they were they would be averaging over well over 40 not well under.
Wood averages over 37 with the ball that’s not world class that’s shit
Stokes is the Word’s no 1 all rounder, Bairstow & Buttler up there as wicket keeper batsman. Wood is a brilliant fast bowler who’s hardly played test cricket due to injuries.

KM

Still bitter about the world cup are we?
:lol:
Only English fans are deluded enough to say that the majority of their test team is world class whilst they're getting walloped at home by a Smith less Aussie team. Christ.

AshRK

Stokes, Archer/Wood, Anderson would surely for India and possibly Root lower down the order. For Australia Stokes, Root, Bairstow/Buttler, Anderson, Archer/Wood.
It depends on the pitch. In the subcontinent pitch I would not have Anderson. Wood won't even make our 15 man squad let alone the starting line up. India's pace attack is pretty lethal which comprises of Bumrah, Shami and Ishant. Too difficult to drop anyone. Having said that I would definitely have Archer. He is damn good.

This would be my combined line up in subcontinent tracks
Rahul Aggarwal(opening is pretty debatable) Pujara Kohli Root Rahane Pant Ashwin Jadeja Bumrah Ishant

In Eng or Aus

Rahul Aggarwal Pujara Kohli Rahane/Root Stokes Pant Jadeja Ishant Archer Bumrah

JohnnyKills

:lol:
Only English fans are deluded enough to say that the majority of their test team is world class whilst they're getting walloped at home by a Smith less Aussie team. Christ.
You've been hammering England since the start of the series, even defending David Warner.

Does seem like a bit of an agenda...

freeurmind

weak willed

Disagree on Stokes. He's probably the best all-rounder in Test cricket. Would walk into every side in the world.

Edit; I meant fast bowling allrounder before the Indian and Bangladeshi fans @ me.

Rams

It depends on the pitch. In the subcontinent pitch I would not have Anderson. Wood won't even make our 15 man squad let alone the starting line up. India's pace attack is pretty lethal which comprises of Bumrah, Shami and Ishant. Too difficult to drop anyone. Having said that I would definitely have Archer. He is damn good.

This would be my combined line up in subcontinent tracks
Rahul Aggarwal(opening is pretty debatable) Pujara Kohli Root Rahane Pant Ashwin Jadeja Bumrah Ishant

In Eng or Aus

Rahul Aggarwal Pujara Kohli Rahane/Root Stokes Pant Jadeja Ishant Archer Bumrah
Agreed on Anderson, but surely Stokes would walk in any team on any surface. All rounders are like gold dust and you could pick Stokes on his batting or bowling alone. And he’s an outstanding athlete and fielder.