English cricket thread

JohnnyKills

Brilliant knock from Root.

Hopefully Broad can smash a few tomorrow. I'd actually bat him at 9 given SL don't have any pace bowlers. He's got a test hundred ffs!

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
It’s all good Anderson has a test best of 81 and Leach 92 so we’re fine ;)

paulscholes18

It’s all good Anderson has a test best of 81 and Leach 92 so we’re fine ;)
Hopefully they can both get close to their averages, be another 26 runs. More likely going to need to bowl them out for under 135 then chase down under 175 to win

zing

Zingle balls
150 on the board would be a good chase but looks a long way off.

I remember England chased like 120 v Pakistan in UAE in the days of Ajmal and got bundled out by Rahman, the left arm spinner. I hope we're in for a game like that

NM

150 on the board would be a good chase but looks a long way off.

I remember England chased like 120 v Pakistan in UAE in the days of Ajmal and got bundled out by Rahman, the left arm spinner. I hope we're in for a game like that
No. SL aren't getting Root out. Simple as that.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Root gone. Not easy from here.

EDIT - Lawrence gone. Get Buttler and Sri Lanka go heavy favourites, for me.

Last edited:

DOTA

They haven't got Buttler and it's looking very easy for him.

DOTA

Well done Sibley, played well here after a difficult start. Rotating the strike well.
Yeah. Lotta luck with the LBW's when we was right back that were all given not out and umpires call. He's stuck at the job though.

DOTA

What just happened today? Pitch deteriorated?
It's spinning a fair bit. I didn't see Sri Lanka bat but the commentators seem to think they were pretty awful, rather than the conditions being too difficult.

NinjaFletch

Pretty impressive series win that tbf.

And hey it's nice to have a little bit of hope we won't get absolutely crushed in India before the first test extinguishes that.

JohnnyKills

Good win. Pleased to see Sibley do well although still think he'll struggle against spin. Buttler and Bairstow both did really well.

SL bowled really poorly though, and the captaincy was bizarre. Seemed like there were gaps everywhere.

iKnowNothing

I don't follow SL cricket - are you saying they're no longer the powerhouse they once were in SL?
My last memory of watching a live broadcast of cricket in SL is Murali bowling with the fans making noise using some combination of instruments.

Anyways - what's the prediction for England tour of India? 2 tests in Chennai followed by 2 more in Ahmedabad - a venue hosting cricket for the first time (i think).

DOTA

I don't follow SL cricket - are you saying they're no longer the powerhouse they once were in SL?
My last memory of watching a live broadcast of cricket in SL is Murali bowling with the fans making noise using some combination of instruments.

Anyways - what's the prediction for England tour of India? 2 tests in Chennai followed by 2 more in Ahmedabad - a venue hosting cricket for the first time (i think).
For the most part, opinions are split between whether India will have to play properly to win 4-0 or can just turn up mess around and still win 4-0.

DOTA

Also, this thread was originally for the 2019 English cricket season. Can we bin it? There's enough Indian and English cricket posters here to justify a thread for the series in India alone.

JohnnyKills

India big favourites as they always are at home but guess it depends on what sort of pitches they prepare. Apparently they've been preparing more seamer-friendly surfaces lately although I can't see them doing that against us.

Hopefully England can take the series deep and make it competitive.

Bertie Wooster

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/...ering-new-faces-for-new-zealand-tests-1262684

Will be interesting to see who England pick. Would like to see Bracey get a go as an opener.

I know it's Lancs bias but I'd really like them to look at Luke Wood too. Left-armer, swings it at good pace and can bat too. One of Lancs' star performers so far this year.
I support Lancs as well, but my Lancs bias means I'd much prefer England to leave Luke Wood alone and let us benefit from him and take someone else's key all rounder instead. I don't want him to become the next Atherton, Flintoff, Buttler, Anderson, who we barely ever see in a Lancs team once England get their hands on them.

As well as Lancs - who my dad and older brother regularly took me to as a kid so I've always supported them - I developed a soft spot for Notts as Tim Robinson was my favourite player as a kid and, one game at Old Trafford, the Notts manager whose autograph I was getting, and who heard I liked Tim Robinson, invited me to the dressing room and I got to meet him and the rest of the team so they really became my 2nd team after that.

Anyway, I really rated Luke Wood when he was coming through at Notts and would have been gutted when he left if it had been to anyone else but Lancs. I'm a big fan of all rounders, as they really add to the balance of the team, and Lancs, whose batsmen don't really bowl and whose bowlers don't contribute much with the bat, really need an all rounder like that to add a bit of depth to both departments. So I really hope we don't lose him to England.

Last edited:

JohnnyKills

I support Lancs as well, but my Lancs bias means I'd much prefer England to leave Luke Wood alone and let us benefit from him and take someone else's key all rounder instead. I don't want him to become the next Atherton, Flintoff, Buttler, Anderson, who we barely ever see in a Lancs team once England get their hands on them.

As well as Lancs - who my dad and older brother regularly took me to as a kid so I've always supported them - I developed a soft spot for Notts as Tim Robinson was my favourite player as a kid and, one game at Old Trafford, the Notts manager whose autograph I was getting, and who heard I liked Tim Robinson, invited me to the dressing room and I got to meet him and the rest of the team so they really became my 2nd team after that.

Anyway, I really rated Luke Wood when he was coming through at Notts and would have been gutted when he left if it had been to anyone else but Lancs. I'm a big fan of all rounders, as they really add to the balance of the team, and Lancs, whose batsmen don't really bowl and whose bowlers don't contribute much with the bat, really need an all rounder like that to add a bit of depth to both departments. So I really hope we don't lose him to England.
Yeah. I know what you mean. Lancs have lost a lot of players to England over the years (Although I hope Anderson gives us a couple of years when he finally comes out of the test team).

Wood is probably more a white-ball option at this point given the amount of options England have. Can see him sneaking into the T20 World Cup squad if he has a good Blast and Hundred.

Lancs look very strong at the minute though. Mahmood's unlucky not to get a test call-up too - if he stays clear of injury he'll be a better long-term bet than Robinson IMO.

zing

Zingle balls
Didn't know county cricket is shown on youtube. Catching a bit of Surrey vs Middlesex..

zing

Zingle balls
Is there a twitter feed or something I can use to know of ongoing county cricket matches shown on youtube? I would like to watch more of this.

Bertie Wooster

Is there a twitter feed or something I can use to know of ongoing county cricket matches shown on youtube? I would like to watch more of this.
I think they've all been on there so far. Whether that'll keep going when fans are allowed in I'm not sure, but I hope so.

Most rounds have been Thursday - Sunday, and if you go on YouTube there seems to have been full live streaming on all matches every day of the games. I've been flicking around between various each time, but mostly Lancs and Notts when they're playing.

JohnnyKills

Terrific win for Lancs. Great advert for county cricket too. 150k people watched the stream over the first two days!!! Amazing to see so much support.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
No posts about the England-NZ series? Tbh it's quiet pointless as it has no consequences.