English cricket thread

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
One hand one bounce for the last 2 overs

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Shane Warne's replacement finally coming good. :lol:

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Let's just call the whole series a draw, cancel the final test and have our lads return home as heroes. Knighthoods all round!

LDUred

Light saved England in the end.
I would say that's a bit unfair. They saved themselves.

Australia delayed their declaration. There was shit weather around all through the test and they miscalculated.

zing

Zingle balls
It’s been a very good series for Australia. They’re winning but also finding new players in slots they had open, which they struggled a bit for last few years.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I would say that's a bit unfair. They saved themselves.

Australia delayed their declaration. There was shit weather around all through the test and they miscalculated.
I don't disagree. However, lost time due to rain and inability to play their best bowlers due to light were the decisive factors. That said given the weather here the last few days I'm amazed so much play occured.

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
It’s been a very good series for Australia. They’re winning but also finding new players in slots they had open, which they struggled a bit for last few years.
Still need to sort out bowling to the tail though.

Too short at times.

Cummins has done well as captain so far.

JohnnyKills

Lots of injuries. Hameed has been woeful, needs to be dropped. Burns probably coming in for him. Billings will come in for Buttler. Not sure if Stokes will play with his side strain.
Given we've already lost the series I wouldn't risk Stokes. He's too important. Give Pope a go at 5 instead.

Cloud7

Still need to sort out bowling to the tail though.

Too short at times.

Cummins has done well as captain so far.
This was Starc's forte a few years back. Felt like he was the best in the world at it. He looks to be on the up so if he recaptures that form then you're set.

Trequarista10

On one hand I think it's bonkers to pick Billings in the next test as he doesn't have a future in test cricket, hasn't been practising with the red ball, and Pope can keep if Bairstow's injury prevents him. On the other hand, seems so harsh to make him drive 500 miles to carry the drinks.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Which headlines are these exactly? It’s a draw and that’s it, nothing special.
If ever there was a positive slant put on something its that sentence below.
Famous and battling no less.

Like David slaying Goliath

SKY

"England earned a famous and battling draw on day five of the fourth Ashes Test in Sydney to end Australia's hopes of a 5-0 series sweep"

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
England could well change half the team for the next test. Disappointing that Mahmood has not got a look in at all during the tests vs India and Australia.

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
This was Starc's forte a few years back. Felt like he was the best in the world at it. He looks to be on the up so if he recaptures that form then you're set.
Starc has lost a bit in red bull cricket IMO, he just at times struggles to get it right.

arnie_ni

SKY

"England earned a famous and battling draw on day five of the fourth Ashes Test in Sydney to end Australia's hopes of a 5-0 series sweep"
:lol:

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
On one hand I think it's bonkers to pick Billings in the next test as he doesn't have a future in test cricket, hasn't been practising with the red ball, and Pope can keep if Bairstow's injury prevents him. On the other hand, seems so harsh to make him drive 500 miles to carry the drinks.
Dan Lawrence has been carrying the drinks all series hasn't he? In saying that though I think I'd ring the changes for the next match, doesn't really matter if we lose, nice reward for the backups, rest for the injured, and you never know we might just get a decent performance out of somebody like we did with Crawley in this one.

I think I'd go:

Burns
Crawley
Pope
Root
Lawrence
Bairstow
Billings
Wood
Mahmood
Broad
Anderson

Robinson for Mahmood if he's not eligible. I think Root and Lawrence will have to do a job with the ball if we need a spinner unfortunately as the all rounder options are a bit scarce without Stokes, Woakes (poor bowler in Australia) or Livingstone (we need to try him out in tests ASAP IMO). I suppose the other option would be Bohannon's medium pace but it doesn't seem a great option for Australia!

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Hameed needs to be taken out of the firing line. This should be his last ever Test match before doing his mental state irreparable damage. Although England's best bowlers, Broad and Anderson's places should be given to younger bowlers to build a team for the future. Silverwood should be nowhere near the Test team. There's really no contenders for Root to take over the captaincy.

ArmchairCritic

Dan Lawrence has been carrying the drinks all series hasn't he? In saying that though I think I'd ring the changes for the next match, doesn't really matter if we lose, nice reward for the backups, rest for the injured, and you never know we might just get a decent performance out of somebody like we did with Crawley in this one.

I think I'd go:

Burns
Crawley
Pope
Root
Lawrence
Bairstow
Billings
Wood
Mahmood
Broad
Anderson

Robinson for Mahmood if he's not eligible. I think Root and Lawrence will have to do a job with the ball if we need a spinner unfortunately as the all rounder options are a bit scarce without Stokes, Woakes (poor bowler in Australia) or Livingstone (we need to try him out in tests ASAP IMO). I suppose the other option would be Bohannon's medium pace but it doesn't seem a great option for Australia!
If Billings was 90 mins away from catching a flight back here to prepare for the West Indies T20 series, I think Mahmood’s back home now.

I don’t think it’s fair to bat Pope @ 3 when he’s not settled in test cricket yet.

ArmchairCritic

Hameed needs to be taken out of the firing line. This should be his last ever Test match before doing his mental state irreparable damage. Although England's best bowlers, Broad and Anderson's places should be given to younger bowlers to build a team for the future. Silverwood should be nowhere near the Test team. There's really no contenders for Root to take over the captaincy.
Would love to see some subtle changes for the West Indies series. Silverwood out, Anderson rested, Mahmood & Foakes in etc.

TwoSheds

If Billings was 90 mins away from catching a flight back here to prepare for the West Indies T20 series, I think Mahmood’s back home now.

I don’t think it’s fair to bat Pope @ 3 when he’s not settled in test cricket yet.
But we only have one "settled" 3 and he is 34 and has had a long old tour already. If I were Pope I'd rather bat 3 in a match with little pressure on it than not play at all. The only other option I could see if Malan were rested is Root at 3 and that's not exactly been a happy experiment in the past...

TheGame

SKY

The headline says battling and gripping. Cannot find anywhere where it says famous? Most of the headlines state they got a draw to avoid a whitewash which is true.

You referred to headlines stating it was a famous draw and yet have produced no evidence of the sort. No where does it state David v Goliath or celebrating anything of the sort so seems like you are just making stuff up.

ArmchairCritic

But we only have one "settled" 3 and he is 34 and has had a long old tour already. If I were Pope I'd rather bat 3 in a match with little pressure on it than not play at all. The only other option I could see if Malan were rested is Root at 3 and that's not exactly been a happy experiment in the past...
I don’t think it will have little pressure on it from Pope’s perspective. He doesn’t bat 3, I’d rather Malan took the hit for this test especially with it being a pink ball test. I know England have to look to the future but they also have to protect their future a bit too.

JohnnyKills

Would love to see some subtle changes for the West Indies series. Silverwood out, Anderson rested, Mahmood & Foakes in etc.
Firing Silverwood would be a bit more than a 'subtle change.' :lol: it'll happen though surely.

Agree with Mahmood instead of Anderson. Not sure what Foakes has done to earn so much media and public support though tbh.

TwoSheds

I don’t think it will have little pressure on it from Pope’s perspective. He doesn’t bat 3, I’d rather Malan took the hit for this test especially with it being a pink ball test. I know England have to look to the future but they also have to protect their future a bit too.
But Root bats 4, Stokes 5, so he's never going to make it in tests in those positions (at least not for a good few years). So he can either fight Bairstow for the no.6 position or try his hand at no.3. Do you not think he'd want to do that?

ArmchairCritic

But Root bats 4, Stokes 5, so he's never going to make it in tests in those positions (at least not for a good few years). So he can either fight Bairstow for the no.6 position or try his hand at no.3. Do you not think he'd want to do that?
I’m sure he’d open if it meant he could play, it’s not what is best for his development though. To bed into test cricket he should bat 5/6 and maybe move to 3 in the long term.

ArmchairCritic

Firing Silverwood would be a bit more than a 'subtle change.' :lol: it'll happen though surely.

Agree with Mahmood instead of Anderson. Not sure what Foakes has done to earn so much media and public support though tbh.
Best gloveman should keep, it’s not like any of the other keepers are that much better at batting in tests.