English cricket thread

Trequarista10

Stokes is back for the Ashes, which is huge. Not only because Stokes is a massive player, but really helps to provide balance to the side. Stokes, a spinner and 3 seamers, looks a lot better than having Woakes bat at 7 with 4 tailenders behind.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/...eem-rafiq-being-called-p-i-was-banter-1286449

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/b...ly-racist-for-me-there-is-no-other-conclusion

Someone with a closer understanding of English cricket - why is Yorkshire allowed to get away with this in slow motion right in front of the watching public's eyes? Is there no accountability? Seem like they can say whatever they want and move on?
Disgusting conduct - they admitted to using racist language but the panel decided it was ‘banter’?! Wtf?!

If the ECB is serious about combating racism then they need to come down hard on the individuals involved & Yorkshire for ignoring the issue. Also, name & shame the racist cnut.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/...eem-rafiq-being-called-p-i-was-banter-1286449

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/b...ly-racist-for-me-there-is-no-other-conclusion

Someone with a closer understanding of English cricket - why is Yorkshire allowed to get away with this in slow motion right in front of the watching public's eyes? Is there no accountability? Seem like they can say whatever they want and move on?
Absolutely no idea - it's barely getting any coverage here at all now. Embarrassing.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
The whole Yorkshire report has been an absolute fiasco since it has started. The ECB has to get involved now

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

This link is ostensibly about the sponsors (they’re losing a chunk) but does also mention the political challenge. Expected to be answering questions in front of a parliamentary committee

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/59148419

It’s good hes come out and admitted stuff/apologised. I find though that a lot of these apologies are caveated..

“To be clear - I deeply regret some of the language I used in my younger years.

I do not wish to discredit Rafa by repeating the words and statements that he made about me
and others but I have to be clear that this was a situation where best friends said offensive things to each other which, outside of that context, would be considered wholly inappropriate.

I regret that these exchanges took place but at no time did I believe or understand that it had caused Rafa distress.

If I had believed that then I would have stopped immediately.
He was my best mate in cricket and I cared deeply for him. To my knowledge, it has never been alleged that I reduced Rafa to tears."

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
There's something rather unpleasant about calling him Rafa in a public statement as well. Really pushing that matey angle.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
It’s good hes come out and admitted stuff/apologised. I find though that a lot of these apologies are caveated..

“To be clear - I deeply regret some of the language I used in my younger years.

I do not wish to discredit Rafa by repeating the words and statements that he made about me
and others but I have to be clear that this was a situation where best friends said offensive things to each other which, outside of that context, would be considered wholly inappropriate.

I regret that these exchanges took place but at no time did I believe or understand that it had caused Rafa distress.

If I had believed that then I would have stopped immediately.
He was my best mate in cricket and I cared deeply for him. To my knowledge, it has never been alleged that I reduced Rafa to tears."
Not much of an apology if he's also running damage control for himself in the actual fecking apology statement.

Not much of an apology if he's also running damage control for himself in the actual fecking apology statement.
That was my point, probably not clear. Anyone who says that they would have stopped upsetting people/being racist if they knew it was upsetting/racist is… racist? (and upsetting).

The first person who comes out and says “no excuses, I was completely wrong, I’ll take whatever is coming my way“ will probably get more kudos.

(you may be agreeing but I don’t know anything on this place any more. Place is mental :) )

Agent Red

Reads like a total non-apology to me. And the “in my younger years” excuse is pretty thin. He’s 31, the same age as me, and it has never been acceptable to use that word in our lifetimes.

I think the main story is the board’s lack of action though, so I hope focus on that isn’t lost. The initial racism is terrible, but it’s even more shocking that a group of people in positions of responsibility can look at such clear evidence and conclude no action is required. Can’t see how they can carry on really.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
That was my point, probably not clear. Anyone who says that they would have stopped upsetting people/being racist if they knew it was upsetting/racist is… racist? (and upsetting).

The first person who comes out and says “no excuses, I was completely wrong, I’ll take whatever is coming my way“ will probably get more kudos.

(you may be agreeing but I don’t know anything on this place any more. Place is mental :) )
Yeah I was agreeing with you.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Whether or it was malicious what Ballance said, the point is that that kind of behavior should have been dealt with immediately by the coaching staff. Totally inexcusable.

IRN-BRUno

Thought it was probably Ballance given the hints in the cricinfo article a couple of days ago. It doesn't excuse him using that word because he clearly should have known it's not acceptable but I can sort of see why he might have thought of it as banter if it was just a private thing between them with Rafiq calling him 'Zimbo' in return. Was it just on those occasions when they were out together or did he also call Rafiq that in front of others, in the dressing room etc. If it's the latter you have to question why nobody picked him up on it.

The ECB really have to take some action soon because this is no longer just damaging for Yorkshire, it's embarrassing English cricket. That Yorkshire obviously felt they could still cover stuff up, keep everyone in their jobs and it would all blow over is incredible. Time to ban them from hosting international matches for a period and take away their Hundred franchise as well.

Roane

Reads like a total non-apology to me. And the “in my younger years” excuse is pretty thin. He’s 31, the same age as me, and it has never been acceptable to use that word in our lifetimes.

I think the main story is the board’s lack of action though, so I hope focus on that isn’t lost. The initial racism is terrible, but it’s even more shocking that a group of people in positions of responsibility can look at such clear evidence and conclude no action is required. Can’t see how they can carry on really.
Ballance will probably get the most stick and potentially sacked, however (and I'm asian,) I don't think that is the right result here.

The bigger issue here is that Yorkshire are "proving" what they initially denied, that they were institutionally racist. The longer this goes on and the more they "investigate" the more they seem to be making it obvious.

Agent Red

Ballance will probably get the most stick and potentially sacked, however (and I'm asian,) I don't think that is the right result here.

The bigger issue here is that Yorkshire are "proving" what they initially denied, that they were institutionally racist. The longer this goes on and the more they "investigate" the more they seem to be making it obvious.
Yeah I agree, and the non-white friends I’ve spoken to share your view too. The institutional element of it is the bigger problem. Ballance should be disciplined but not in a way that he becomes the lightning rod and the board members who turned a blind eye get off scot-free.

Thankfully I think it’s such a big story now it’s impossible for it to blow over. Sponsors pulling out always makes people take notice.

Trequarista10

Random thought, inspired by an old interview of Gough talking up Mahmood...

When Stokes wasn't set to play in the Ashes, the selections of Overton and to some extent Bess made some sense. With no genuine all rounder, they needed bowlers who could chip in with runs at 8 and 9. With Stokes back in, how much more threatening would the bowling line up look with Mahmood instead of Overton, and Parkinson instead of Bess?

Hoping they get added to the squad at some point.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
They should get someone to dub his voice like we used to do with Gerry Adams.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Jimmy rested, Pope favoured over Bairstow.

I think we'll go four seamers (so no Leach) due to the forecast. There's going to be interruptions all week.

Excited now but still think we get beat 4-0/4-1. I barely see us passing 350 with the bat.

Really need to avoid defeat in the first test to build a bit of confidence.

TheGame

Jimmy rested, Pope favoured over Bairstow.

I think we'll go four seamers (so no Leach) due to the forecast. There's going to be interruptions all week.

Excited now but still think we get beat 4-0/4-1. I barely see us passing 350 with the bat.

Really need to avoid defeat in the first test to build a bit of confidence.
Yep batting concerns me as well. Root aside, others need to score big runs and it's been fragile at best for a while. Hoping Pope can come good and show us some of his county form.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Annoying it’s on BT, although hopefully I’ll get to see a little bit of the D/N test.

Reckon Australia will win the series 3-1.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Any Aussies give us a local forecast? Google gives about 50 different answers.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Hameed over 10 runs is a longshot here. Fingers crossed for him.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Hameed over 10 runs is a longshot here. Fingers crossed for him.
Could make his career this tour - hopefully - there is something refreshing about watching someone who doesn't try and smash everything in a Test match these days.