English cricket thread

LDUred

England 220-2 at stumps and 58 runs behind. They are still in this but Root and Malan are key.

Is Stokes ok to bat?

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Very hard to see England getting a lead that can put scorecard pressure on Aus/batting long enough for clock pressure to be an issue, but those two sessions seem to have been a much needed breath of fresh air.

Could there be a series here after all?

Dan_F

You’ve gotta laugh at Warne on commentary already trying to figure out what a competitive score is going to be. England still have a mountain to climb as they need to settle in tomorrow and just as that happens they will have the new ball to deal with.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
The Aussie ashes is so hard to follow if you live in the UK. This time zone combined with peak winter is just killer

Dan_F

The Aussie ashes is so hard to follow if you live in the UK. This time zone combined with peak winter is just killer
Hopefully the day/night tests will be a bit better. I’m not sure what time they start, but hopefully it’s at least a few hours later.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Hopefully the day/night tests will be a bit better. I’m not sure what time they start, but hopefully it’s at least a few hours later.
Next test is 4am starts. The fifth one I'm guessing we don't know yet due to being unsure where it will take place.

Dan_F

Next test is 4am starts. The fifth one I'm guessing we don't know yet due to being unsure where it will take place.
That’s decent enough then. I woke up unintentionally at 5.30 this morning and decided to stick it on my phone. I’m shattered now :lol:

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
That’s decent enough then. I woke up unintentionally at 5.30 this morning and decided to stick it on my phone. I’m shattered now :lol:
Yeah - I watched the first session then woke up at 7. Completely disorientated and couldn't understand why they were still playing. Thought I was in limbo :lol:

LDUred

Yeah no reports he isn’t so should be ok. Finally some fight shown by England, but really need to bat till the end of tomorrow to get a decent target on the board.
If Stokes is not 100%, I would have him drop down the order.

Jos looked our best batsman in the first innings and we need someone who will steady things when a wicket does finally fall.

I also think the coaches need to advise the players to show much more restraint trying to stop boundaries. Especially in Australia where the ground is often baked hard, the risk is pretty high for injuries. Stokes has potentially got himself injured there for little or no reward.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
If Stokes is not 100%, I would have him drop down the order.

Jos looked our best batsman in the first innings and we need someone who will steady things when a wicket does finally fall.

I also think the coaches need to advise the players to show much more restraint trying to stop boundaries. Especially in Australia where the ground is often baked hard, the risk is pretty high for injuries. Stokes has potentially got himself injured there for little or no reward.
Yeah tend to agree. Buttler was in great form in the T20s and sounded like he was promising in the first innings, hopefully Root and Malan can get him into a leading position and then he can go out and enjoy himself. Not holding my breath though! :lol:

Dan_F

I ended up having a few drinks tonight, so I guess I’ll stay up for a bit and watch some of the first session.

The worst thing about situations like this is that you know you can’t see your team make real progress in the space of an hour, but you could definitely see them lose it.

DOTA

I ended up having a few drinks tonight, so I guess I’ll stay up for a bit and watch some of the first session.

The worst thing about situations like this is that you know you can’t see your team make real progress in the space of an hour, but you could definitely see them lose it.
It begins.

...Maybe.

LDUred

England: the Spurs of cricket.

Things start to get a bit tasty before the inevitable bottle job.

Dan_F

Christ, I didn’t even make it into bed to start watching before the collapse happened. I’ll give it a swerve then.

Wake me up when Anderson and Broad are back (not that it’ll help the batting).

LDUred

England doing Englandy things.

Stokes and Buttler really the only hope we have left.

Last edited:

LDUred

They could smash a hundred and we are still fecked here mate.
Yep, even with these two making scores we're done.

Realistically Malan and Root had to be batting when the new ball was taken and preferably surviving well into it.

Pope's dismissal was absolutely hideous; his brain was scrambled. Root's was arguably worse, though. Why was he playing at that?

Balljy

Yep, even with these two making scores we're done.

Realistically Malan and Root had to be batting when the new ball was taken and preferably surviving well into it.

Pope's dismissal was absolutely hideous; his brain was scrambled. Root's was arguably worse, though. Why was he playing at that?
Yeah, we needed Malan and Root to see out the new ball. We'll hope to see Stokes and Buttlers defensive skills I guess. A hard ball will offer a few shots to them at least

DOTA

Proper cricket coverage this with the single camera.

Cloud7

Power outage at the stadium apparently. My channel has lost it's feed. Amateur hour.

DOTA

Power outage at the stadium apparently. My channel has lost it's feed. Amateur hour.
On BT Sport we have a lone camera operator who usually just does interviews doing their best to show us the game from long on/third man with commentators in the studio who can't see the ball.

Balljy

BBC have live commentary which doesn't quite match up to the BT amateur cam. That's my preferred way of watching at the moment.

Cloud7

On BT Sport we have a lone camera operator who usually just does interviews doing their best to show us the game from long on/third man with commentators in the studio who can't see the ball.
:lol:

At least it's back on now

LDUred

Put a fork in this one..

Wouldn't mind seeing Zak given a go for the second test. More of a natural partner for Hameed.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
It’s something that England can capitulate so easily in red ball cricket but their batting in the limited overs game is so good.

Abraxas

What a predictable outcome this is. This England side can't bat. They were never going to hold up in Australia. Will be lucky not to get whitewashed.

In England you would probably see some of Australia's frailties too but at home you get the feeling they'll get plenty of runs.

Agent Red

This England side is so weak. It’s not a great side anyway, but it underperforms too often even within those parameters.