English cricket thread

Djemba-Djemba

Really good from England , New Zealand were looking very comfortable a few hours ago and now they're back in trouble.

It's this fecking partnership again though...

Abraxas

We could really do with bowling them out cheaply as I think this will be a tricky chase. The pitch is starting to offer a bit.

LDUred

Maybe this time New Zealand aren't in deep enough doo-doo for Mitchell and Blundell to summon their partnership building powers.

Dan_F

I’ve not had the chance to watch any of the last two days and probably won’t get more than radio commentary tomorrow. Seems like this has really been another fantastic test match so far though.

Trequarista10

I think England have an interesting pool of pace bowlers at the moment. It's somewhat unusual situation because Anderson, Broad and Stokes, and to some extent Woakes, have been stalwarts in the side for so long that other players haven't had much of a look in. But there's Wood, Archer, Stone, Robinson, the Overtons, the Currans, Mahmood, Fisher, Gregory, Willey, Topley, Garton, Payne Carse who have all been in or around the international setup recently, plus some decent county bowlers like Sam Cook, Jamie Porter and a few others. The ones who will become first choice in future years may largely depend on injuries and timing of opportunity as much as pure ability. And also by which ones focus on playing white ball/franchise cricket more than red ball.

Last edited:

phelans shorts

I think England have an interesting pool of pace bowlers at the moment. It's somewhat unusual situation because Anderson, Broad and Stokes, and to some extent Woakes, have been stalwarts in the side for so long that other players haven't had much of a look in. But there's Wood, Archer, Stone, Robinson, the Overtons, the Currans, Mahmood, Fisher, Gregory, Willey, Topley, Garton, Payne Carse who have all been in or around the international setup recently, plus some decent county bowlers like Sam Cook, Jamie Porter and a few others. The ones who will become first choice in future years may largely depend on injuries and timing of opportunity as much as pure ability.
Please let us only talk of Jamie if we’re trying to be positive.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Wonder if Stokes had COVID the other day. I guess they probably only test if you've got symptoms by now in cricket?

LDUred

Sick of the sight of Daryl Mitchell and Tom Blundell; it's like bowling at two Chanderpauls.

Dodgy lasagna settings required over at Headingley.

Last edited:

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I really hope Leach can take it up a notch and cement himself in the team as he seems such a likeable guy and the whole team seem to love him.
Also NZ must be the most likeable team in test cricket

phelans shorts

This has to be Leach’s best match ever. Fair play to him (and very useful for us Lancashire fans…) this has probably kept him in the team for quite a while longer.

Kane is probably rueing not picking Patel massively here

IRN-BRUno

I really hope Leach can take it up a notch and cement himself in the team as he seems such a likeable guy and the whole team seem to love him.
Also NZ must be the most likeable team in test cricket
I think Stokes' captaincy will be great for Leach, with Root he always gave the impression he was the last resort but Stokes seems to have more belief and confidence in him.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
This has to be Leach’s best match ever. Fair play to him (and very useful for us Lancashire fans…) this has probably kept him in the team for quite a while longer.

Kane is probably rueing not picking Patel massively here
Leach appears to be the type of spinner who needs loads of overs to get into a rhythm. Stokes is miles better for bowlers than Root, did a nice job with Parkinson in his debut too. Does wonders for confidence.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I think Stokes' captaincy will be great for Leach, with Root he always gave the impression he was the last resort but Stokes seems to have more belief and confidence in him.
You get that impression, Stokes seems like a man that fully backs the players in his team. There definitely seems to be a good vibe in the team, easy 2 tests in when you’re winning but hopefully it lasts

LDUred

Momentum from last night definitely been lost
295 is gettable but it's still a lot to chase. The top three has to click this time.

Boult was on the money in the first innings but why were they on the drive.

ArmchairCritic

Examples of a few of the subtle things Stokes has done with his bowlers:
  • Giving Potts the ball early on debut with New Zealand in trouble. Would have been easy to stick with Broad/Anderson but Stokes knows exactly how/when to use Potts. 8 wickets in his first over of spells this series!
  • Giving Parkinson an extended spell on debut, getting him on against the tail to take a wicket
  • Giving Leach long spells this test, getting him on early in both innings to involve him in the game.
The only criticism I have of Stokes’ captaincy of bowlers, he underbowls himself! Maybe he’s got a knock this test. Also needs to wind back the short ball theory a tad.

ArmchairCritic

I don’t see it with Zak Crawley at this level, he needs to go and score heavy runs in the County circuit for 2-3 years I think.