English cricket thread

IRN-BRUno

Remarkable what can be done just with a change of mindset, this is pretty much the same group who not long ago looked beaten before the first ball was bowled.

To be fair to Pakistan this is quite an inexperienced attack on a pitch as flat as you'll see, I expect them to comfortably get 500+ as well.

kundalini

On the BBC website, it mentioned that 14 wickets fell in the most recent test match on this ground. Checking Pakistan's matches in 2022, it looks like Pakistan made 476-4 dec (just under 3 an over) then Aus 459 all out (about 3.3 an over), then Pak 252-0 (about 3.3 an over).

So the big difference is the scoring rate.

In the other 2 test matches in that series, Australia consistently put up big scores, while Pakistan were out for 268, 235, 148 and then saved the 2nd test with 443-7

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
What England have done since the start of the English summer has been remarkable, unprecedented even. They’ve had one bad test in the first one of the series against the Saffers, which they responded to by playing even more extreme aggressive attacking cricket. I alway thought the batters were massively underperforming and far more talented than their performances were showing until the summer, but this transformation is quite astonishing. People will say the real test of Baz ball will be in India & Australia, but the turnaround in fortunes since McCullum & Stokes took-over is just extraordinary. They absolutely annihilated 3 of the 4 best test sides in the summer and now this today. After the series in Australia & West Indies last winter England looked rock bottom and it’s been a complete 180c turnaround to probably some of the most extraordinary performances ever seen in test cricket, up there with the great Windies sides of the 70’s & 80’s. Speechless & very proud.

Fts 74

I never thought I'd see the day England score 500 in a day in a test match!
Can't remember the last time they scored 500 in an innings.
Sensational stuff long may it continue.

Skills

Snitch
What England have done since the start of the English summer has been remarkable, unprecedented even. They’ve had one bad test in the first one of the series against the Saffers, which they responded to by playing even more extreme aggressive attacking cricket. I alway thought the batters were massively underperforming and far more talented than their performances were showing until the summer, but this transformation is quite astonishing. People will say the real test of Baz ball will be in India & Australia, but the turnaround in fortunes since McCullum & Stokes took-over is just extraordinary. They absolutely annihilated 3 of the 4 best test sides in the summer and now this today. After the series in Australia & West Indies last winter England looked rock bottom and it’s been a complete 180c turnaround to probably some of the most extraordinary performances ever seen in test cricket, up there with the great Windies sides of the 70’s & 80’s. Speechless & very proud.
Arguably it's the solution to England's problems in those countries. England have played way too timidly, got bogged down and then got out in the past.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Now I’ve had a few pints and am vibing what I love about today is just the positivity, admittedly helped by the pitch and bowling but we didn’t play stupid cricket, it was just positive and put away the bad balls, nothing silly just really good attacking cricket.

Also as before the World Cup Pakistan in my opinion have really great fans and they deserve to see more cricket at home, I’m happy we are giving it to them and long may it continue.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Now I’ve had a few pints and am vibing what I love about today is just the positivity, admittedly helped by the pitch and bowling but we didn’t play stupid cricket, it was just positive and put away the bad balls, nothing silly just really good attacking cricket.

Also as before the World Cup Pakistan in my opinion have really great fans and they deserve to see more cricket at home, I’m happy we are giving it to them and long may it continue.
We're certainly giving it to them :D

Dan_F

If we need further proof of how easy the pitch is to bat on, Anderson scored 6 off 10.

Wilt

First Pakistan v England in 17 years ….why the virtually empty stadium?

Chief123

Imagine having bowling figures of 4-235 with an economy rate of 7.12 in test cricket! :eek:

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
First Pakistan v England in 17 years ….why the virtually empty stadium?
In this day and age where everything has to be fast and convenient, no one has time for test cricket anymore. Apart from in England and Boxing Day tests you don’t really see much of a crowd anywhere really.

In addition in Pakistan it’s not uncommon to have metal detectors and security checks just to enter popular restaurants and malls. Imagine the airport level security when a foreign team is touring and you can’t afford a single mishap before risking international cricket getting banned again in the country. From a psychological point of view I can totally see why people can’t be arsed.

Chief123

The stadium is gradually filling up which isn’t abnormal for a test match. I’m guessing a lot of Pakistani fans will arrive after their Friday prayers.

It’s a shame this is going to end up probably being a shite test match draw.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
1. Ultra flat pitches leading to 5 days play and therefore 5 days revenue.
2. ????
3. Profit

Dan_F

Right lads, I’m turning it on after tea. I expect a flurry of wickets again.

phelans shorts

Pope, probably the slowest keeper I’ve seen
He’s the perfect example of how hard it is to be a keeper really. He’s one of the very best close fielders on the planet, but behind the sticks he’s struggling so much again.

If Foakes had made it off the toilet yesterday morning they’d probably be a couple down by now.

Samid

Stokes has the body of a 60 year old. Always looks stiff and on the breaking point.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Stokes has the body of a 60 year old. Always looks stiff and on the breaking point.
The joys of being an all format all rounder. Remember watching Hardik over the summer and the amount of stretching he was doing on the boundary was insane.

Djemba-Djemba

Both of these sides are capable of a collapse out of nowhere but this pitch is looking like a terrible one.

You can see why there's so few wins or losses when England tour Pakistan if this is what the pitches tend to be like.

Chief123

Both of these sides are capable of a collapse out of nowhere but this pitch is looking like a terrible one.

You can see why there's so few wins or losses when England tour Pakistan if this is what the pitches tend to be like.
It’s an absolutely shocking pitch. 10 wickets in 2 days of cricket.

Even the reverse swing is straight as a ruler!

Samid

Why aren't they starting an hour earlier? Scheduling isn't any good if they're going off for bad light with 17 overs left on a clear afternoon.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
I’d say they should probably start an hour earlier but with this pitch I’m not sure there’s any point.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Good day for Pakistan.

Terrible pitch. I don’t see it deteriorating for spin to become a factor either.